R.I.P. Ray Kennedy

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

R.I.P. Ray Kennedy

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:25 pm

Former Liverpool and Arsenal midfielder Ray Kennedy has died at the age of 70.

Kennedy, who scored three times in 17 appearances for England, was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1984.

He scored 71 goals in 212 games for Arsenal, winning the First Division and FA Cup Double in 1971, before joining Liverpool in 1974.

During an eight-year spell at Anfield, where he scored 72 goals in 393 appearances, Kennedy won five league titles and three European Cups.

In a club statement, Liverpool said Kennedy - who won a total haul of 11 major trophies with the Reds - was "legendary".

Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge said on Twitter: "Ray Kennedy what a player and lovely bloke who suffered so much with Parkinson's disease for most of his life. He will definitely never walk alone."

Kennedy had originally started out as a forward and joined Liverpool on the same day Bill Shankly resigned as manager.

Two years after signing for the club, Bob Paisley switched Kennedy to left midfield, a position he would remain in for the rest of his career.

Paisley later wrote in his autobiography that Kennedy was "one of Liverpool's greatest players and probably the most underrated".

After leaving Liverpool in 1982, spells at Swansea City and Hartlepool United followed for Kennedy before he spent a brief time as player-manager of Cypriot club Pezoporikos.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: R.I.P. Ray Kennedy

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:27 pm

Always thought this guy a decent sort
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby failsworthblue » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 pm

Fantastic Rolls Royce of a player.

RIP Ray Kennedy.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby salford city » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:05 pm

Very good player sad new
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:11 pm

Never really knew him, apart from the name. Always sad when somebody passes and too soon for a bloke of his age.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby john@staustell » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:55 am

Always looked a great lump but always delivered with the goals. Hasn't he been ill with Parkinsons for some time?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 am

john@staustell wrote:Always looked a great lump but always delivered with the goals. Hasn't he been ill with Parkinsons for some time?

Since 1984 apparently. And he hung up his boots in 85 or 86. Sad. Too young to see him play but 600 odd games for two of the leading sides of the era tells you everything. RIP
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Tokyo Blue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:01 pm

nottsblue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Always looked a great lump but always delivered with the goals. Hasn't he been ill with Parkinsons for some time?

Since 1984 apparently. And he hung up his boots in 85 or 86. Sad. Too young to see him play but 600 odd games for two of the leading sides of the era tells you everything. RIP

He was a very good player indeed, notts. RIP.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Return to The Maine Football forum