***Watford vs City Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Watford vs City Official Match Thread***

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:22 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:finishing was woeful yesterday

It was worse than woeful .
Fodens the worst of the bunch but I’ll forgive him as he set up one unmissable , even for Sterling , pass and generally played well after a time out .

Grealish had a mare in front of goal .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby salford city » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:41 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:finishing was woeful yesterday

It was worse than woeful .
Fodens the worst of the bunch but I’ll forgive him as he set up one unmissable , even for Sterling , pass and generally played well after a time out .

Grealish had a mare in front of goal .

Looks to be trying too hard. That could have been any score last night. We could have been 6 up at ht and it would not have flattered us. We are scarily good movement wise up top. Yes agree that we will need to be more clinical in the big games but we create for fucking fun and i think we will see a striker arrive in January but will that be the answer as unless it is someone who fits into our system, it will take away possibly more than it gives?
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Whats the song the lads belted out for the last 20 mins ?

Won the cup, won the league.. against united etc
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mase » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:45 pm

Nick wrote:Whats the song the lads belted out for the last 20 mins ?

Ruben Dias our number 3
He left Benfica to come to City
He’s won the cup
He’s won the league
He hates United and loves City
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:47 pm

Mase wrote:

Ruben Dias our number 3
He’s won the cup
He’s won the league

Love it

Night and day the home and away at the mo. Home is worse its been. Might join a aupporters club as got let down for newcastle
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Watching some of the other teams on tv we are streets ahead of them, the only weakness we have is our finishing that apart we are the best team by a country mile
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:40 pm

Nick wrote:
Mase wrote:

Ruben Dias our number 3
He’s won the cup
He’s won the league

Love it

Night and day the home and away at the mo. Home is worse its been. Might join a aupporters club as got let down for newcastle

Mate , our home support is fucking embarrassing and anyone who tries to defend it is just as embarrassing.

West ham against Chelsea was exactly how home support should sound like !!!

We are shite supporters , more often than not , at home .

Man city away supporters are amongst the best in the league .

Fact
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:46 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Nick wrote:
Mase wrote:

Ruben Dias our number 3
He’s won the cup
He’s won the league

Love it

Mate , our home support is fucking embarrassing and anyone who tries to defend it is just as embarrassing.

West ham against Chelsea was exactly how home support should sound like !!!

We are shite supporters , more often than not , at home .

Man city away supporters are amongst the best in the league .

Fact

Champions league psg was quite decent.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby blues2win » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:29 am

It was. I was there.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 am

blues2win wrote:It was. I was there.

So why do we pick and choose games to get up for now? Psg was full of tourists too so makes no sense
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mase » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:13 am

Nick wrote:

So why do we pick and choose games to get up for now? Psg was full of tourists too so makes no sense

A lot is to do with the opposition. It’s hard to get up for it when Southampton come with a plan to just whack 11 behind the ball. It’s shit football and boring to watch. Then the refs blatantly cheating doesn’t help.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby salford city » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:10 pm

Nick wrote:
Mase wrote:

Ruben Dias our number 3
He’s won the cup
He’s won the league

Love it

Nick,

Not suggesting that you should not join a supporters club, im in one and get away tickets through it but ive been in our branch over 10 yrs and we run ticket allocation based on a points system so currently, im in top 12-14 for an away ticket. If orher branches do the same, you would be joining and never seeing an away ticket
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:01 pm

Cox: Man City’s first half was magnificent, idealistic football – everything that Guardiola wants
WATFORD, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 04: Bernardo Silva of Manchester City celebrates after scoring their side's second goal during the Premier League match between Watford and Manchester City at Vicarage Road on December 04, 2021 in Watford, England. (Photo by Lynne Cameron/Manchester City)

By Michael Cox 7h ago 25

It’s easy to take performances like this for granted. Manchester City had very few problems against Watford, and rightly so. No Watford player would get in the City side and each of City’s players on the bench would get in the Watford starting XI, with the possible exception of Scott Carson — still admirably making the match-day squad at 36 as a third-choice goalkeeper.

This was the Champions League finalists against a promoted side, and therefore anything less than an away victory would have been a major failure.

But there are different ways to win, and different ways to batter inferior opponents. There have been other dominant sides who have relied on force and physicality, and others by relying heavily on one star who feels unstoppable. That’s not what City are about either, and before the interval at Vicarage Road, Pep Guardiola’s side produced among the most dominant 45-minute periods you will witness in the Premier League.

City are about combination play, particularly in wider areas. Raheem Sterling stayed wide-right and linked with Bernardo Silva who buzzed around in an inside-right position. Phil Foden was out on the left while Ilkay Gundogan burst forward in the inside-left channel. Jack Grealish, still finding his feet at City, was effectively deployed as a centre forward, and while he’s hardly a traditional No 9, you won’t find many other Premier League players so happy to receive the ball in positions where opposition defenders are snapping at his heels.

The defining thing about this City side, particularly with this combination of attackers, is that it feels egalitarian. Previous Guardiola sides have always been about combination play, of course, but there’s also been a hierarchy.

Guardiola’s Barcelona side was based around Lionel Messi, so others made runs and played passes to get him into favoured positions. His Bayern side were similar after the arrival of Robert Lewandowski. His best City sides were often about stretching the play to create space for Sergio Aguero up front, and Kevin De Bruyne in the inside-right channel.

But with Aguero gone and De Bruyne not 100 per cent fit this season (and omitted here), City’s effective front five all feel like they’re roughly as prominent as one another. Foden and Sterling stayed wide on their “natural” sides and stretched the play, but not solely for the benefit of others. The opener came when Foden chipped a cross to the far post, leaving Sterling free to nod home, having escaped the attentions of Danny Rose, who endured a difficult game.

Grealish was accustomed to being the main man at Villa but he is slowly learning to play for the team at City. Gundogan is the opposite: always highly effective but never plays like the star, even when he’s his team’s best performer.

Clearly, City’s best player on show here — and so far this season — was Silva, who has become the side’s most regular goalscorer but still feels primarily like a selfless footballer trying to tee up others.

City dominated in terms of possession and territory. In that first half, they recorded 81 per cent of possession and could have been out of sight, creating five major chances but only converting two.

Sometimes high possession figures suggest a side has been too cautious in possession, or are struggling for penetration, but not City here. They cut through Watford brilliantly throughout. One move started with two things that were once considered reckless: goalkeeper Ederson tempting pressure from Josh King inside his own six-yard box, then Americ Laporte hitting a square ball to Ruben Dias across his own box. Within eight seconds, Grealish was put through on goal by Foden, but couldn’t provide a finish.

City’s second goal, scored by Silva from a tight angle, was finished in a slightly scrappy manner but came from a similar attack, when City almost counter-attacked from having possession in a deep position, drawing their opponents towards them then darting past them.

City could and should have scored more than two before half-time, but they never looked in danger of conceding. Watford, often dangerous on the counter-attack, had one decent break courtesy of a Moussa Sissoko charge through the middle, and once pressed high to win possession from long range. But they didn’t attempt a shot from inside the box.

Watford had given Chelsea a serious game at Vicarage Road midweek, losing 2-1, so are hardly incapable of challenging title contenders. But City were just too good, and it wasn’t until the 42nd minute, when Aymeric Laporte overhit a ball intended for Grealish, that the visitors committed what could reasonably be considered an unforced error.

The second half was a slightly different display, for three reasons. First, because Silva’s outstanding curled effort into the far corner was primarily about individual brilliance than penetrative combination play, even if it came after a flowing passing move.

Second, because City introduced De Bruyne and Riyad Mahrez (two players who have, in the past, won the PFA Player of the Year award) and then Gabriel Jesus, which almost feels like cheating.

And third, because City got a bit sloppy and allowed Watford back into the game, even if Cucho Hernandez’s consolation was more than the home side deserved. The scoreline of 3-1 wasn’t an adequate reflection of City’s dominance. Guardiola rued his side’s wastefulness in front of goal but also added that they’d reached the “highest standard” so far this season.

This was hardly a landmark result, but that first half was magnificent, idealistic football that demonstrated everything Guardiola wants from his side. Width in attack. Players between the lines. Constant possession. Quick counter-pressing. After five years of Guardiola’s City all this can feel routine, but this performance was, put simply, an absolute pleasure to watch.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:14 pm

Good read is that, we are a very good side, sometimes I think we take for granted how stylish we are.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Denis Law's Backheel

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nickyboy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Mase wrote:
Nick wrote:

A lot is to do with the opposition. It’s hard to get up for it when Southampton come with a plan to just whack 11 behind the ball. It’s shit football and boring to watch. Then the refs blatantly cheating doesn’t help.

Yeah when the game has a bit of jeopardy or something riding on it the crowd responds accordingly.

Victims of our own success on that front
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:47 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
Mase wrote:
Nick wrote:

Yeah when the game has a bit of jeopardy or something riding on it the crowd responds accordingly.

Victims of our own success on that front

Yep. Hamburg, Liverpool, etc all class games for atmosphere. I think that’s the same for most teams home crowds though at the moment. I can’t think of one club where their fans are belting out songs until the 90th minute.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nick » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:13 am

Its poor though. Bad decisions, early goals and away fan banter should be more important. We arent glory fans.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum