City Revenue Overtakes RAGS

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City Revenue Overtakes RAGS

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:22 pm

Manchester United are now being outperformed off the pitch as well as on it by Manchester City

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo stands dejected following the Premier League match at Old Trafford, Manchester. Picture date: Saturday November 6, 2021. (Photo by Martin Rickett/PA Images via Getty Images)

By Philip Buckingham 7h ago 157

Manchester City successfully knocked Manchester United off their perch long ago.
Four Premier League titles have been won by the boys in blue since their neighbours at Old Trafford were last crowned champions in 2012-13 and few would bet against that number growing to five in May.

The 22 points that separate the clubs in the table just after the midpoint of this season is a telling measure of City’s modern domination and now, after a decade spent closing the financial gulf to United, they can now boast the better financial results to boot.

City’s annual accounts, published in brief yesterday, revealed a record-breaking year at the Etihad Stadium.

Total income for 2020-21 stood at £569.8 million in a campaign that ended with defeat to Chelsea in the Champions League final. United, meanwhile, were left trailing in their wake with annual revenues totalling £494 million.

This battle of the balance sheets will not be one to sing about when the clubs next meet on the first weekend in March but they do underline City’s status as the rising force of European football.

United, for all their commercial clout and worldwide following, have finally been bettered by their noisy neighbours. The nouveau riche are now top of the English tree.

How has the shift in power happened?

City’s financial growth over the last decade has been unparalleled. A club that failed to even make Deloitte’s Football Money League top 20 for 2006-07, lagging behind Celtic and Marseille, has been transformed since the takeover of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan with Abu Dhabi’s millions in 2008. From an annual turnover of £87 million in 2008-09 to almost £570 million last season, income has gone up more than six-fold in 12 years.

Season on season, there has been success-driven growth, gradually propelling City up towards Europe’s elite. United had been the only English club left to catch in recent seasons but a new frontrunner emerged in 2020-21.

City’s run to the Champions League final was the undoubted driver for a changing of the guard.

KPMG, the renowned accountancy firm, says that was worth £108 million in prize money from UEFA, while a quirk of timing only increased broadcast streams in the club’s accounts.

The 2020-21 financial year included City’s participation in the knockout stages of the 2019-20 Champions League. Real Madrid were beaten in the last 16 before Lyon upset Pep Guardiola’s side in the quarter-finals, which were pushed back to a post-domestic season mini-tournament in the August by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Then there was another Premier League title won last season, as well as the almost-annual Carabao Cup final success and a run to the semi-finals of the FA Cup. All of that combined to give City a broadcast income of almost £300 million across 12 months, dramatically up from the £190 million of disrupted, extended 2019-20.

Commercial revenue was also up to a new high of £271 million, according to the club’s accounts.

An army of 31 global partners, including a host associated with the club’s Abu Dhabi ownership, now work with City and allow them to eclipse United’s reduced commercial income of £232 million.

Put it all together and there might not be a club in world football to trump City’s accounts, which showed a small profit of £2.4 million after the brutal losses of £126 million in the previous calendar year.

“From a revenue perspective, it is true that Manchester City have leapfrogged Manchester United,” says Andrea Sartori, KPMG’s global head of sports and author of the European Champions Report 2022.

“And at the moment, they are the highest revenue-generating club in Europe and the world. They have higher revenues than Barcelona and Real Madrid, higher than Bayern Munich — as we’ve shown in the report.

“We still don’t have all big clubs’ numbers. Liverpool haven’t published, but I would be astounded if Liverpool can surpass them (City). Paris Saint-Germain could be a contender in that sense but, as of now, with all the available information, City are not only on top of United but also the rest of Europe.”

Has the pandemic done anything to skew the figures for 2020-21?

Undoubtedly. And in a big way. A season spent playing behind closed doors did an awful lot more to hurt Manchester United than it did Manchester City, and makes it a slightly misleading picture.

In any normal campaign, United can expect to make twice City’s match-day revenue.

Take the 2018-19 season, for example, and it was £111 million at Old Trafford up against £55 million over at the Etihad.

Strip all that back and it is clear that United, who boast a home with over 20,000 more seats than City’s, were left far more exposed by the pandemic. Only now, with Old Trafford back at full capacity, are United able to call upon the income streams they used to take for granted.

“COVID-19 hit United far harder than it hit City,” says Kieran Maguire, the football finance expert. “United would normally make around £110 million from ticket sales in a season. City typically get half of United’s match-day revenue because they’ve got a different fan profile: Fewer corporate fans, fewer international fans.

“Put that all together and it’s United hit hardest by playing games behind closed doors.”

So, City were helped to catch United by the pandemic. But how have they now managed to overtake them in terms of commercial income?

This is where the greatest change has taken place in the last decade.

United have always traditionally been the most attractive option to sponsors. They have the history, the fanbase and the appeal to ensure commercial backers are never in short supply. Brand United sells itself in the 21st century.

City, meanwhile, had traditionally been the poor relations of Manchester. Go back to when Sheikh Mansour first pitched up and their commercial income was just £23 million a year. Or a third of United’s.

Keeping pace with United, the savvy market leaders, was an enormous task but City can now claim to be the Manchester club out in front. While United’s commercial revenue fell from £279 million to £232 million last season, City’s was climbing from £246 million to £271 million.

Those with a cynical eye, of course, will point towards City’s commercial partners and where in the world they are based. They have Etihad Airways as shirt sponsors, and also have link-ups with Visit Abu Dhabi and Expo 2020 Dubai.

And they keep coming.

There are also partnerships with Masdar, Abu Dhabi’s renewable energy company, and Etisalat, the Emirati-based telecommunications firm.

There is little question City have maximised opportunities with related parties in the UAE but their on-field success has also brought in significant sums from the likes of Nissan and Nexen Tyres. Corporate sponsors typically pay additional performance-based sums and reaching the club’s first ever Champions League final, as well as winning another domestic title, will have inevitably brought an uplift.

United saw a year-on-year fall in commercial revenue but they will point to the make-up of their sponsors, typically blue-chip firms that were exposed to the pandemic, as a reason for the stumble. Theirs, as a floated company, is a very different model to City’s and one that suffered.

There was a variation agreement with General Motors, whose Chevrolet brand was United’s shirt-front sponsor last season, struck in August 2020,; revised deals with other partners, taking into account disruption to TV rights, also had a further impact on United’s commercial activity.

At a time when City’s commercial income was seemingly immune to COVID-19, United were left to count the cost of a £47 million shortfall year on year.

“We are proud of the strength and resilience that our club has shown through the pandemic, despite the significant loss of revenues from normal levels while matches were being played behind closed doors,” said a United spokesperson. “Our commercial business remains industry-leading, as demonstrated by the series of new globally-recognised, third-party partnerships and renewals announced over the past year.”

If United have lost their place as England’s richest club, what are the chances of them reclaiming that status this season?

Much will depend on the fortunes of City and United over the 2021-22 season’s final five months. Although City are the overwhelming favourites to retain their Premier League crown, both clubs have qualified for the Champions League knockout phase and will hope to go deep in that competition.

United have already bettered last season’s group-stage exit by reaching the last 16, but City will have ambitions to go one step further than last season and win their first European Cup.

How big a slice of UEFA’s broadcast revenues the two clubs receive will have a significant bearing on who comes out on top in the next set of accounts, but United can at least expect to close the gap now they have Old Trafford back to full capacity. Every sold-out game there is worth in the region of £3 million to them.
Financially, the inability to host fans during the pandemic hit Manchester United harder than neighbours City (Photo: Martin Rickett/PA Images via Getty Images)
“For Manchester United, the impact of playing in closed stadia was bigger,” adds KPMG’s Sartori. “We all know that the Etihad Stadium is much smaller and does not attract as many fans as Old Trafford. Manchester United’s match-day revenue has been double Manchester City’s. A season playing without fans was far more negative for United than City.

“It remains to be seen if City can maintain this. Manchester United have a history of 30 years in being in the top three richest clubs in Europe.

“Getting to the final of the Champions League was the big differentiator for City in 2020-21. Should they reach the final again, or go and win the Champions League, this will help to keep the top place.

“If they were eliminated at the earlier stages, I would presume that would change things. But that is always the case — sporting success, COVID-19 aside, makes the difference.”

Expect United to make up lost commercial ground, too.

Their new shirt sponsorship deal with TeamViewer is considered to be among the largest of its kind, while the re-signing of Cristiano Ronaldo after 12 years away with Real Madrid and Juventus brings its own guaranteed yield.

To be even considering City as financial rivals to United, though, indicates a remarkable feat.

“United’s total income in 2009 was £278 million,” says Maguire. “City’s was £87 million — United were almost treble that of City. To have eliminated that over the course of 12 years is incredible.

“But United can reclaim that number one spot with that match-day revenue advantage. City will always be playing catch-up there. But a lot will depend on how the two clubs perform in the Champions League knockout stages.”

(Top photo: Martin Rickett/PA Images via Getty Images)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john68 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm

Looking a bit deeper, it seems that the rags are becoming more and more dependent on their historical successes to rake in the cash, rather than anything they are doing currently. Should their lack of current success be prolonged it will have certainly have a detrimental affect on the commercial strength over time.
The other personal observation is that the rags are being pulled forward in several directions. Their need to have football success immediately seems to have forced some desperate and costly decisions in managerial appointments and poor player recruitment. Instead of being able to set a longer term project of improvement in place, they appear to be making decisions for the NOW, with little consideration of future consequences.

On the other hand, City had a long term project put in place at the start of the Sheiks ownership which bit by bit (BIG BITS) has shown massive improvements both on and off the field. The playing successes of all our teams, our commercial rise and the obvious argument that, while the rags a club of the past, City are the club of the now built on solid foundations and of the future.

I can see City falling behind again financially next season when outside influences like the effects of Covid have eased but in the longer term, City will continue to gain gound and move much further ahead in the future.

Commercial parity with the rags was a far off dream for most of us. Hopefully in the near future it will be merely be a dream for the rags.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:07 pm

‘Not in my lifetime’.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby john68 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:36 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:‘Not in my lifetime’.

Happy ALL year Beefers mate, hope you're well.

It was interesting some years ago to hear (a pre retired) Taggart talking about challengers to the rags hegemony. He made a point of saying that the challenge by Chelsea wasn't likely to go away because of their resources.

When we were taken over, Taggart was demeaning about a possible challenge from City. I think he thought our owners would make a lot of noise but then quite quickly fade away. Hence his comment you quoted. It wasn't that long after that he changed his tune and said City's threat was real and likely to be a serious threat to the rags for the then forseeable future. How right he was.

I also believe he got out when he did because he saw City as threat that the rags may be unable to contain over a prolonged time. He was right again.

The media and the rags Taggart era have been proved powerful for them to maintain their media myths and their global fan base. But if their demise continues and their desperation gets worse, I can see their demise getting a lot worse.

Happy days
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:56 pm

john68 wrote:

It was interesting some years ago to hear (a pre retired) Taggart talking about challengers to the rags hegemony. He made a point of saying that the challenge by Chelsea wasn't likely to go away because of their resources.

When we were taken over, Taggart was demeaning about a possible challenge from City. I think he thought our owners would make a lot of noise but then quite quickly fade away. Hence his comment you quoted. It wasn't that long after that he changed his tune and said City's threat was real and likely to be a serious threat to the rags for the then forseeable future. How right he was.

I also believe he got out when he did because he saw City as threat that the rags may be unable to contain over a prolonged time. He was right again.

The media and the rags Taggart era have been proved powerful for them to maintain their media myths and their global fan base. But if their demise continues and their desperation gets worse, I can see their demise getting a lot worse.

Happy days

It isn’t inconceivable that in five years they are where Arsenal are now and in ten years someone like Spurs
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:58 pm

john68 wrote:

Happy days

Good to hear from you, mate. Hope all is well with you and yours, all good here with mine.

You’d think their demise couldn’t ever get worse - for them - but I’m sure it can with their recruitment on and off the field. I’m convinced that the GPC was retiring the season we did them over, getting the Rags 20th in the 20th season of the PL, they’d even made a documentary about it. Us forcing him to stay on another year and forsaking the future completely fucked their team up was a real bonus in my eyes. He knew what was coming with a few clubs who were investing while his club were haemorrhaging money to the Glazers, no way did he want a part of that even though he was the one that had brought them to that point.

Taggart, in that period, was a God send for us. Him, and Gill, went out on a high, detrimental to the Scum and moreso as they stayed on as part of the board and taking money themselves. Delicious!

You still running the taxi business or have you put your feet up now?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby salford city » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:07 am

No doubt that Ferguson saw what was coming. He knew we were going to be a threat alongside Chelsea. The fact that he chose to go on a further season and spunk all that money on RVP wirh his wages tells you thar he thought more of himself and his legacy than their club.
Since then, its been one disaster after anorher with no apparent plan and our continued success and growth has only served to make it worse. There is nothing to say that they won't end up like scouse were and then we will see about their matchday revenue with that flea pit falling down around their ears whilst the yanks continue to bleed them dry. Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch of cnuts - mind the gap
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:04 am

salford city wrote:No doubt that Ferguson saw what was coming. He knew we were going to be a threat alongside Chelsea. The fact that he chose to go on a further season and spunk all that money on RVP wirh his wages tells you thar he thought more of himself and his legacy than their club.
Since then, its been one disaster after anorher with no apparent plan and our continued success and growth has only served to make it worse. There is nothing to say that they won't end up like scouse were and then we will see about their matchday revenue with that flea pit falling down around their ears whilst the yanks continue to bleed them dry. Couldnt happen to a nicer bunch of cnuts - mind the gap

I’m amazed Rag fans still don’t see what Ferguson did. He left them in a complete mess by looking at signings for the short term to make sure he went out on a high, rather than build the club for the future. He fucked them up totally.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Dimples » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:28 am

But as SAF says himself 'I always did what was right for Man Utd' :)

There is a funny clip of Roy Keane on YouTube ranting about Ferguson. He says 'his son Darren played for UTD and won a PL medal - very lucky, his brother was chief scout for UTD for a long time, I am surprised his wife wasn't involved on the staff somewhere :) when Darren got sacked the UTD players on loan at that club were pulled back the next day. That was doing the best for Man UTD, give me a break'.
He also says: 'I was at the club when Robson and Bruce left, great servants, IMO both were badly treated so don't be kidded by this Ferguson's man mgmt is brilliant'.

Neville is sat beside him looking at the ground while Keane rants. No way is Gary going to jeopardize the gravy train by upsetting SAF.

It is a very funny watch.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am

Dimples wrote:But as SAF says himself 'I always did what was right for Man Utd' :)

There is a funny clip of Roy Keane on YouTube ranting about Ferguson. He says 'his son Darren played for UTD and won a PL medal - very lucky, his brother was chief scout for UTD for a long time, I am surprised his wife wasn't involved on the staff somewhere :) when Darren got sacked the UTD players on loan at that club were pulled back the next day. That was doing the best for Man UTD, give me a break'.
He also says: 'I was at the club when Robson and Bruce left, great servants, IMO both were badly treated so don't be kidded by this Ferguson's man mgmt is brilliant'.

Neville is sat beside him looking at the ground while Keane rants. No way is Gary going to jeopardize the gravy train by upsetting SAF.

It is a very funny watch.

I just watched that now - Its hard to really dislike RK off the pitch as he says it how he sees it.

We all knew AF was a fuckign cunt since day dot....but its nice to see some ex rag say it as well.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby john68 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:10 am

Mase wrote:
salford city wrote:No doubt that Ferguson saw what was coming. He knew we were going to be a threat alongside Chelsea. The fact that he chose to go on a further season and spunk all that money on RVP wirh his wages tells you thar he thought more of himself and his legacy than their club.

I’m amazed Rag fans still don’t see what Ferguson did. He left them in a complete mess by looking at signings for the short term to make sure he went out on a high, rather than build the club for the future. He fucked them up totally.

Not for the 1st time at the rags.at the helm.
Busby did similar. To create a true dynasty,a squad has to be renovated constantly. Busby did it for a number of years, as did Shankly and whether we like it or not; so did Taggart.
When Busby left, the rags needed a complete rebuild, a squad that grew too old together and it led eventually to a drip drip to failure and then relegation.

We can live in hope......some of the current shite at the swamp seems to reflect their history...With their version of a Swales
john68

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:27 pm

Top club in Europe. Good old pandemic:

https://www.insideworldfootball.com/202 ... e3bn-loss/

January 31 – The financial effects of the covid pandemic on Europe’s leading clubs is becoming more measurable with an analysis of 20 clubs showing an annual average decrease of €45 million.

The research, by the KPMG Football Benchmark team takes the accounts for 20 clubs for the 2018/19 financial year and compares them against the averaged financials for the following two covid-affected seasons.

“In the 2018/19 season, prior to the pandemic, the top 20 clubs combined for €7.586 million, of which FC Barcelona boasted the highest figures of €839 million. However, the aggregate average operating revenues of the following two seasons only totalled €6.692 million, a 12% decrease,” finds the report.

Real Madrid are highlighted as performing the best financially in terms of operating revenues. averaging €661 million over the two years.

“Worryingly, 18 out of 20 clubs achieved worse results on average in this two-year period, with the biggest decrease of 32% seen by Beşiktaş JK, whose figures are also depressed by the devaluation of the Turkish lira. On the flipside, Sevilla FC and LOSC Lille both managed to increase their revenues on average, by 15% and 40% respectively, due to improved sporting results – Sevilla won the UEFA Europa League in 2019/20 and participated in the UEFA Champions League a year later, while Lille pulled off the unthinkable and won Ligue 1 in 2020/21,” says the report.

Manchester City had the highest total income for the 2020/21 season with €644.2 million, ahead of Real Madrid (€640.5 million), Bayern München (€597.5 million), Barcelona (€580.7 million), Manchester United (€557.4 million) and Chelsea (€494.8 million) – neither Liverpool or PSG have been reported their year ends yet.

While the revenues are still high, KPMG says the taxation shows “clearest the deterioration of the business of football in the past two years as aggregate net profits decreased from a € 227 million loss in 2018/19 to an average of €1,529 million loss in the following two seasons: a €65 million additional annual average loss per club.”

“Alternatively, this means that in the 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons, the 20 clubs in the sample have combined for a staggering €3,057 million loss,” says the report.

The biggest determinant of club profitability is generally how much players are paid. KPMG find that in the 20 clubs surveyed staff costs have remained relatively constant €4.613m on average over the two latest seasons, decreasing only 1% compared to 2018/19

While players are insulated by their contracts, many players did take a pay cut in the 2019/20 season to help out their clubs. “However, costs did not decline at the same rates revenues did, resulting in the staff cost-to-revenue ratio rising by 7 percentage points on average, from 67% to 74%, in the COVID-impacted seasons,” says KPMG.

In conclusion the report says that clubs who have performed well on the pitch have fared better through prize money than clubs whose performance has faded. KPMG doesn’t see the financial picture for the 2021/22 season showing a big bounceback.

“The game is still being severely affected by the health crisis in the ongoing season, and it is almost certain that overall financial performance in the 2021/22 season will still be lower compared to pre-pandemic levels,” concludes the report authors.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby john68 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:57 pm

Thanks John,
Given me some reading matter, thinking time and a big reason to start calling them the 'likkle rags'.

you just gotta have a chuckle
john68

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum