Foden, what’s up with him?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Foden, what’s up with him?

Postby sheblue » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:05 am

Been thinking about this a while ago. There is a little bit of a circus around his private life, all that shit at the boxing etc, this stuff rarely helps any player. Yeah he's a young lad and all of that baggage. However its no excuse, he needs to keep the head down and get on with football. If he does that he will be a star.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Dimples » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:52 pm

Is there an issue with Phil resigning?
He is contracted until 2024 on a really low salary.
Why is there a delay in getting a new contarct signed?
Two seasons is not a long time.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:46 pm

Dimples wrote:Is there an issue with Phil resigning?

Do we know his salary? Never understood the constant re signing; its collerating with players running contracts down
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Dimples » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:10 pm

Nick wrote:
Dimples wrote:Is there an issue with Phil resigning?

Do we know his salary? Never understood the constant re signing; its collerating with players running contracts down

According to spotrac.com he is on £12K a week, one of our lowest earners.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:40 pm

Hes not, he re signed not that long ago? Couple years ? Our shit kids are on more than that
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Dimples » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:11 pm

Nick wrote:Hes not, he re signed not that long ago? Couple years ? Our shit kids are on more than that

He has not signed a new contract.
Talks were on-going for the past 12 months, he was due to sign in April 2022 but 'sticking points' stopped it - according to Google.
I am assuming that the Haaland signing has made matters more complicated. Phil will seek parity or close to it, I guess.
When his contract ends in two years, he will be 24 and the signing on fee he could command will be immense.

If he signs a contract with City at £400K a week. In the two years to 2024, he earns £40M by staying put.
If he runs down the contract, any signing on fee larger than £40M is profit for him. Say he gets £70M sign-on, he is £30M ahead.

Phil has two years left on his contract, no agreement reached after 12 months of talks, now Haaland has signed.........

This is not good news.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:31 pm

There's no way he's on 12k a week?!!
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby stupot » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:43 pm

it was a 6 year deal signed in 2018 at 30k per week but heavily incentivised.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:08 pm

Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby stupot » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:28 pm

That's saying he's signed a further 3 years this year, i don't think it's happened yet.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Crossie » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:18 pm

He isn’t going anywhere. City through and through and he’ll get what he deserves. It would help though if he had an amazing link up with Erling and had 20 assists by December. Phil will stay, just might get a bit cheeky for some well deserved extra £.

Pisses me off though, at my work we being people in on big money who are shit. Then leave the long time, work up the ladder ones on lower wages. It just leads to resentment and knowledge bleeding when they have enough and go.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Dimples » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:01 am

Crossie wrote:He isn’t going anywhere. City through and through and he’ll get what he deserves. It would help though if he had an amazing link up with Erling and had 20 assists by December. Phil will stay, just might get a bit cheeky for some well deserved extra £.

The trend to run down your contract to become a free agent is growing. It makes a lot of sense if you are a player. The better the player, the bigger the reward for doing so. Player's agents have copped on and in effect are engineering any transfer fee away from the club and into the player's pocket. The risk for the player is low i.e. serious injury. Long term, transfer fees are a dead duck.

Say Phil's signing on fee is £80M in 2024 after running down his contract. That means for City to get him to sign a new 5 year contract now, City would have to pay him top $ for the 5 years (say £400K a week i.e. £40M to 2024) AND find an extra £40M (£80M - £40M = £40M) to cover that lost signing on fee.

When you look at it that way, it is far from certain that Phil will sign a new contract.
Same goes for Sterling. If Sterling were to sign a new contract now, he is literally throwing away £millions by not waiting for a year. Pogba, who played shit, would not sign a new bumper contract for the Rags for the past two seasons, for the same reason.

Phil could be heading the same way for the same reasons. 12 months negotiations and no resolution spells trouble to me.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby zuricity » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:54 am

Dimples wrote:
Crossie wrote:He isn’t going anywhere. City through and through and he’ll get what he deserves. It would help though if he had an amazing link up with Erling and had 20 assists by December. Phil will stay, just might get a bit cheeky for some well deserved extra £.

The trend to run down your contract to become a free agent is growing. It makes a lot of sense if you are a player. The better the player, the bigger the reward for doing so. Player's agents have copped on and in effect are engineering any transfer fee away from the club and into the player's pocket. The risk for the player is low i.e. serious injury. Long term, transfer fees are a dead duck.

Say Phil's signing on fee is £80M in 2024 after running down his contract. That means for City to get him to sign a new 5 year contract now, City would have to pay him top $ for the 5 years (say £400K a week i.e. £40M to 2024) AND find an extra £40M (£80M - £40M = £40M) to cover that lost signing on fee.

When you look at it that way, it is far from certain that Phil will sign a new contract.
Same goes for Sterling. If Sterling were to sign a new contract now, he is literally throwing away £millions by not waiting for a year. Pogba, who played shit, would not sign a new bumper contract for the Rags for the past two seasons, for the same reason.

Phil could be heading the same way for the same reasons. 12 months negotiations and no resolution spells trouble to me.

Re Sterling, on the assumption that some teams wants him. Millions if a few top clubs show interest, not so much if only one team has interest.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Dimples » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:45 am

zuricity wrote:
Dimples wrote:

Re Sterling, on the assumption that some teams wants him. Millions if a few top clubs show interest, not so much if only one team has interest.

I disagree.
If Sterling puts aside winning trophies, he can approach any PL side as a free agent in 2023, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, Arsenal, Brighton, Wolves, etc... Any PL club will give him a signing on fee of £30M minimum because there is no transfer fee involved and he is a £60M player minimum.

For City to get Sterling to sign a new long term deal, they have to offer high wages PLUS that £30M (leaving winning trophies aside which is the biggest leverage City have). Then you are down to money Vs. glory.
Same applies to Phil and all footballers with two years or less left on their contracts. That is why Liverpool have a problem with Salah.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:18 pm

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nick » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:29 pm

So given its widely accepted that footballers are vastly overpaid, how do we slow this running contract down trend?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Wooders » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Nick wrote:So given its widely accepted that footballers are vastly overpaid, how do we slow this running contract down trend?

Probably all kinds of illegal but one option would be accept a lower salary on your final season if a fair new contract offer is made by the club - again might introduce more problems than it solves
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:40 am

Nick wrote:So given its widely accepted that footballers are vastly overpaid, how do we slow this running contract down trend?

it's a high risk strategy, especially for someone like foden who has only has one decent contract in his career
raheem has been on mega money for a decade so can probably afford to take the risk of running his contract down. same goes for pogba
paul lake should serve as a dark reminder of how a promising career can be ended in the blink of an eye
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dimples » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:39 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:

it's a high risk strategy, especially for someone like foden who has only has one decent contract in his career
raheem has been on mega money for a decade so can probably afford to take the risk of running his contract down. same goes for pogba
paul lake should serve as a dark reminder of how a promising career can be ended in the blink of an eye

It is high risk for the player but the financial benefits are huge. To reduce the risk the player will be careful to avoid injury.
Salah will be bang average this season and positively rubbish as soon as he signs a pre-contract with his next club. It is human nature.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby City64 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:48 pm

Has signed new long term contract at City apparently……
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum