Welcome to Manchester Julian Alvarez

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome to Manchester Julian Alvarez

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:10 am

john68 wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
john68 wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:OS still states - “He will remain with River on loan at least until July 2022.”

“At least”.

If it's at least, then we know we are not that keen to have him.
I think it's odd we did not force it to bring him now.

Peter, why always so bloody pessimistic and negative about almost everything City seem to do?
If our owners and staff were so useless, as you seem to assert on a regualr basis, how the fuck have they managed tobe so successful on and off the pitch?

City identify a youngster who they believe has the potential in the future to be become aWorld class player.
City understand that currently he is not ready to play at the Premier League level.
City see the sense in leaving him where he is instead of uprooting him to a strange country, strange culture and totally different life to develop his skills further.
If he came now, it is likely he would need to go out on loan, after being dragged awy fromhis home and family.
City consider that it is probably better to leave the kid settled in his current environment rather than fuck him about by moving him and possibly moving him again.
As City see him as one for the future rather than the now, 6 months and as we're in no need of him at the moment, they see a benefit in leaving him settled until July, when he can join the squad at the start of a new season.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just listened to some sniggering no mark on Sky writing Alvarez off as next year's maybe man

He may be quite right about next year Johnny....did he mention how good he might be in 2yrs? A gamble on the future...the next generation.

The Argie league is brutal - he won’t take a fucking year to settle in ,IMO , and guaranteed he’s in touch with Agüero for some feedback .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby dazby » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:19 am

Yeah, but the extra time gives him a chance to start English lessons and prepare mentally.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby blues2win » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:37 am

Excellent points
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby john@staustell » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:14 am

Postby johnny crossan » 31 Jan 2022 21:45

We've bought a few Argies - some a bit better than others :lol: :lol:
Julián Álvarez - newbie
Nahuel Bustos - never heard of
Gerónimo Rulli - vaguely heard of
Nicolás Otamendi - hit but a bit rash, positionally dodgy, heart on sleeve
Willy Caballero - good at pens
Bruno Zuculini - vaguely remember
Martín Demichelis - hit I reckon considering the time of his career and our needs then
Sergio Agüero - legend
Carlos Tevez - legend but a bit of a twat
Pablo Zabaleta - legend, king of blood wounds

He'll be needing a nickname - Julian just wont cut it. But then again I guess that's just a Brazilian thing?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby PeterParker » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:19 am

john68 wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:OS still states - “He will remain with River on loan at least until July 2022.”

“At least”.

If it's at least, then we know we are not that keen to have him.
I think it's odd we did not force it to bring him now.

Peter, why always so bloody pessimistic and negative about almost everything City seem to do?
If our owners and staff were so useless, as you seem to assert on a regualr basis, how the fuck have they managed tobe so successful on and off the pitch?

City identify a youngster who they believe has the potential in the future to be become aWorld class player.
City understand that currently he is not ready to play at the Premier League level.
City see the sense in leaving him where he is instead of uprooting him to a strange country, strange culture and totally different life to develop his skills further.
If he came now, it is likely he would need to go out on loan, after being dragged awy fromhis home and family.
City consider that it is probably better to leave the kid settled in his current environment rather than fuck him about by moving him and possibly moving him again.
As City see him as one for the future rather than the now, 6 months and as we're in no need of him at the moment, they see a benefit in leaving him settled until July, when he can join the squad at the start of a new season.

Makes perfect sense to me.

John, I support City, how can you ask me not to be pessimistic? :lol:

Joke aside, I did not follow the topic of his transfer that much, but if he stays more than this summer there, maybe we are not that keen to have him here. He is 22, yesterday, I think he already needs to be here. It's hard coming to Europe and most of all, coming at arguably the best team that is on the continent, with so many contenders in the squad. He is young, but lately in the football world, 22 and a half, or 23, you need already to be world-class.

I trust the owners, but I would have done it differently. Why not get him now and maybe give him the chance to be a treble winner in June? Imagine the confidence. Did it for Phil when we won the local treble.

What I wonder is if this is a transfer for the squad or for the City enterprise? For the moment I don't know.
But losing Ferran was a chance for this fella to join. I think it would have been better.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby john68 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:21 am

dazby wrote:Yeah, but the extra time gives him a chance to start English lessons and prepare mentally.

And he'll be playing in our academy which is a level far below the skill and physical level he's playing now.

We have already heard even before City were interested that a move to Europe was probably a year too soon for his optimum development.
It seems City had been tracking him for a while and it looks like we only moved on him because other clubs were showing serious interest and we were forced to act sooner than we wanted.
The upheaval of dragging a kid away from his family too soon could have a detrimental effect on his football and we would only be playing him at a level far below that which he is playing now.
It may be important to the kid that being on the verge of the Argie national team and he and his advisors feel he needs to be in the Argie public eye to help cement his place with the World Cup coming up.
I really don't see him in our 1st team in the immediate future, so why not leave him settled for a few months in a situation where he is obviously developing nicely.

I really don;t see the hurry. A similar approach to Foden and that turned out well.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:23 pm

john68 wrote:
dazby wrote:Yeah, but the extra time gives him a chance to start English lessons and prepare mentally.

And he'll be playing in our academy which is a level far below the skill and physical level he's playing now.

We have already heard even before City were interested that a move to Europe was probably a year too soon for his optimum development.
It seems City had been tracking him for a while and it looks like we only moved on him because other clubs were showing serious interest and we were forced to act sooner than we wanted.
The upheaval of dragging a kid away from his family too soon could have a detrimental effect on his football and we would only be playing him at a level far below that which he is playing now.
It may be important to the kid that being on the verge of the Argie national team and he and his advisors feel he needs to be in the Argie public eye to help cement his place with the World Cup coming up.
I really don't see him in our 1st team in the immediate future, so why not leave him settled for a few months in a situation where he is obviously developing nicely.

I really don;t see the hurry. A similar approach to Foden and that turned out well.

John - hes 21 and cannot be compared to Foden ( who only played in the academy before being introduced to train and play with the 1st team ) as he has already played in top competitions during his career and won 6 titles - I lived in Argentina and football is far more fanatical over there than it is anywhere else..more pressure than you can imagine so playing in the premiership will not scare him one little bit....all he will have to adapt to is the way PeP wants him to play...Aguero worked it out and Im sure this player will too.

I also strongly doubt he will be playing many , if any , games in the academy.... ........he will train with the first team and I wont be surprised to see him start almost immediately when the 2022/23 season starts.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:27 pm

Going off the highlights he looks a bit like a young Saviola.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby branny » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:33 pm

Looks like a perfect fit from his yt highlights. He'll come up against better defences over here though and some of their keepers look like they have money on the opposition.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby zuricity » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:00 pm

john@staustell wrote:Postby johnny crossan » 31 Jan 2022 21:45

Julián Álvarez - newbie
Martín Demichelis - hit I reckon considering the time of his career and our needs then
Sergio Agüero - legend

He'll be needing a nickname - Julian just wont cut it. But then again I guess that's just a Brazilian thing?

The Brazilian "Thingy" depends on the side he dresses.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:28 pm

john@staustell wrote:Postby johnny crossan » 31 Jan 2022 21:45

Julián Álvarez - newbie
Sergio Agüero - legend

Or as Mase will attest he was a warrior until cut his hair off
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:00 pm

Explained: Julian Alvarez’s move to Man City and why he’s more than an ’emerging talent’
Julian Alvarez, Manchester City, River Plate

By Sam Lee Feb 1, 2022 8

Last summer, Manchester City’s determination to sign a striker pushed them towards two of the biggest names in the game: Harry Kane and then Cristiano Ronaldo.

But behind the scenes, they had also set their “emerging talent” team to work. The message was clear: all hands on deck, every scout available, go and find us a No 9, any age will do.

The emerging talent team are responsible for those transfers that City complete from time to time for players who are highly rated in local markets but will be loaned out to Girona or Lommel or Mumbai or whoever else in the City Football Group and beyond.

Julian Alvarez may have been identified by that global army of scouts but he is no buy-to-sell investment, and on Monday, he celebrated his 22nd birthday by signing for City.

Although some at the club urge caution, arguing that he is more of a City Football Group signing than a purely City signing, the noises from sources closely involved in the deal are more encouraging.

They stress that he has the quality to contribute now, but given the competition for places in Pep Guardiola’s front line it could harm his development if he were to arrive immediately, so he will stay at River Plate until at least July.

That doesn’t suggest that, even at the age of 22, they consider him genuinely good enough to come in and tear up trees, a bit like Gabriel Jesus did at the age of 19 in January 2017, but the hope is that he will be able to do that in the next year.

It is similar, in terms of the structure of the deal, to Kayky, the 18-year-old forward who was signed from Fluminense last year. The Brazilian also remained at his club, until they felt they were simply developing somebody else’s player and stopped playing him.

Kayky has been training with Guardiola’s first team since September but is playing for City’s under-23s, although he made his senior debut as a late substitute in the FA Cup against Swindon in early January. There is a first-team pathway for Kayky but he is one to be patient over.

The hope for Alvarez is somewhat loftier, but is subject to all sorts of moving parts, not least how City fare in the transfer market. Alvarez’s signing will not stop them from trying to sign a big-name striker, and indeed they will do what they can to tempt Erling Haaland to join them. They are aware he prefers Real Madrid, but they will attempt to change his mind in the coming months.

There is a suggestion within City now, though, that if the big Norway striker isn’t signed, Alvarez would be the man they turn to. Quite how that pans out remains to be seen, considering they have tried to sign Joao Felix on at least three occasions and that he is currently keen to leave Atletico Madrid, but it certainly suggests that Alvarez is seen as a genuine contender.

Manchester City are still hoping to prise Haaland to the Premier League (Photo: Alexander Scheuber/Getty Images)
No wonder, considering his performances over the last year, with his 18 goals in a fine league campaign. What’s more, he has done it largely as a false nine. It sounds like Guardiola’s dream, doesn’t it? Not to mention the billing as one of South America’s top prospects, with 36 goals and 25 assists in 96 appearances, and comparisons to City favourites Sergio Aguero and Carlos Tevez.

It is easy to get carried away but there is a grey area here. He is not ready to go yet, despite being five months older than Phil Foden, and there is a possibility that City sign a bigger name before he arrives. If the competition for places is too big now, it could be even bigger after the summer transfer window.

What we do know is that he will be a River player until they are eliminated from the Copa Libertadores. The “loan” ends on July 7, the day after the Libertadores last-16 second leg, but if River are still in the competition it will trigger a clause that will allow Alvarez to stay into next season.

If they were to lose in the semi-finals in September, for example, the idea is that he would travel to Manchester straight away. That was his request.

However, if City were not to sign Haaland or anybody else and they felt the need to bring in Alvarez in the summer, they can pay £1.26 million to bring him over earlier.

The transfer itself was done pretty smoothly, although the final fee is the subject of debate and it was only agreed after Alvarez’s agent, Fernando Hidalgo, embarked on a tour of Europe to initiate a sale.

The forward’s River contract was due to expire in June and attempts to tie him down to a new deal, albeit with the same release clause of €20 million/£16.6 million, were knocked back last November. The rumour was that the two parties could not agree on salary demands but in reality, a transfer was already being explored.

Other top European clubs were sought out — Manchester United were heavily linked just a few weeks ago — but City had done their homework and smelt an opportunity, owing largely to that buyout clause. Alvarez is said to have fully bought into the English club’s plans for his future and there is no doubt at his end that he is being bought for the first team.

City’s scouts had already done their leg work and their expansive South American operation, headed up by Joan Patsy, a very close ally of sporting director Txiki Begiristain, had helped put the wheels in motion.

So on the morning of Wednesday, January 19, CFG representatives arrived at River’s offices in the business district of Buenos Aires to strike a deal. A day later, a verbal agreement was reached at the club’s iconic Monumental Stadium, and the news broke in Argentina a day later.

City confirmed his arrival on Monday, around 10 days later and perhaps the announcement can be put down to the difference in fees being quoted on either side of the Atlantic. City say they have paid €17 million, or roughly £14 million, which is less than the buyout clause in Alvarez’s contract, and it is understood that the club had been working with River to lower that fee over the past few days.

There had been talks with River over Valentin Castellanos, a striker at New York City, and Andrew Teuten, a left-back at Torque, both CFG clubs, being included as part of the operation, although that has not transpired yet.

In Argentina, sources say that City paid around £20 million, so that River would receive the full buyout clause — the second-highest fee received in their history, after Javier Saviola’s move to Barcelona — after various taxes and other fees were deducted. They have also paid $1 million out of their end to Atalaya de Cordoba, a local side who owned a portion of Alvarez’s rights.

So it’s hard to work out exactly how much he cost and exactly when he will arrive in Manchester, let alone how big an impact he will have.

But the figures and plans involved suggest that he is much more than just another “emerging talent”.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PeterParker » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:47 pm

Pep Guardiola: "Congratulations to Manchester City, they work to be in the present, but of course for the future. It's a player that could be already with us now, but we have enough players, I don't like to have too many players in several positions."
"The best is stay in River Plate, he's done incredibly well. In the next pre-season, he'll be with us. After we'll decide what happens. I am personally really pleased to have this talented young player for the next years."

Reading too much into this, but it sounds like he doesn't have his place secured and might be loaned out again?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:29 pm

The lad bagged a hat-trick last night against Boca Jr in the cup.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:16 pm

CTID Hants wrote:The lad bagged a hat-trick last night against Boca Jr in the cup.

You’d think that might have be+noted by either the BBC or Sky. Not a sausage.

Well, they’ll be reporting on him soon enough when he is banging them in for us
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:21 pm

nottsblue wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:The lad bagged a hat-trick last night against Boca Jr in the cup.

You’d think that might have be+noted by either the BBC or Sky. Not a sausage.

Well, they’ll be reporting on him soon enough when he is banging them in for us

I saw this earlier.

Six months after Sergio Aguero's departure prompted much talk of the champions' need for a replacement central striker, Pep Guardiola completed the £14m signing of Alvarez in January.
The 21-year-old arrived from Argentine side River Plate but was immediately loaned back, meaning he will not appear for City until next season at the earliest.
Alvarez is predominantly a striker, who has scored 23 goals in 57 league games, but can also play out wide.
He made his debut for Argentina in 2021 and has since won six caps for his country.

What does the expert say?
Tim Vickery, South American football expert
"River Plate have had the same coach since 2014, Marcelo Gallardo, and in South America, having the same coach for going into an eighth year just doesn't happen. They have a coach with a long-term project, and Alvarez is the absolute jewel in the crown of that project.
"There was a huge game between River Plate and Boca Juniors [in the 2018 Copa Libertadores final], probably the biggest one in history and one that will never be forgotten. Alvarez, as an 18-year-old, came off the bench in that game. That is a huge declaration of faith and it is clear he is pure class. Even then with River, they brought him on slow and gave him a game here and there off the bench. Gallardo knew exactly what he was doing with this player.
"Even up until February 2021 he was not an automatic first choice, he played sometimes and had some great games but they have brought him on slowly. It was only after they sold Colombia striker Rafael Santos Borre that he was in the first team. He was then undisputed first choice.
"He is a combination player, he is a collective player. He is a striker with the soul of a midfielder, that makes him Manchester City all over. He is so talented and so versatile. If City needed an orthodox penalty box striker, that is not the player he is. But he is good enough for that because he is quick and technically good and will bang them in right foot and left foot.
"He is an all-round footballer and I don't think there is anyone I have enjoyed watching in South America more in the past year or so. Like Aguero created wonderful memories, this is what Alvarez can do for City.
"Where can he go? Well he is already pretty much at the top of the global food chain at Manchester City. Now it is just a question of whether he can bed in."

What does the fan say?
Andres Bruckner, contributor to the Hand of Pod, an Argentine football podcast.
"What makes Alvarez a special talent is he's a goalscorer, but he can also play in different positions in attack. He is really, really complete.
"When River won the league [last year] and he was top scorer with 18 goals, I knew that was the moment he would leave. My favourite memory of him is when River beat Boca 2-1 and he scored two goals."
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:08 am

Lovely to see the Otter smiling again as well.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:13 am

Saw the highlighs, he looked on fire.
We needed him, we really did.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:45 pm

Looks like he is coming in July after all, club have decided pay 1.5M extra to bring before the Argentinean season ends in November.

Pep also confirmed he is solely a City player, not a loanee or CFG cash generator

https://www.mcfcreport.com/post/julian- ... extra-1-5m
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:59 pm

CTID Hants wrote:Looks like he is coming in July after all, club have decided pay 1.5M extra to bring before the Argentinean season ends in November.

Pep also confirmed he is solely a City player, not a loanee or CFG cash generator

https://www.mcfcreport.com/post/julian- ... extra-1-5m

This guy has played in more high octane games than anyone in our team and is an out and out goal scorer .

He will fit right in.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum