Farewell Gabby

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Farewell Gabby

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:23 am

With it all but confirmed Jesus is off to Arsenal I thought a thread dedicated to his time here was warranted.

We all hoped he’d be our next Aguero when he signed, it outside that massive expectation the lad was a very good player for us in his time. Leaves with a host of trophies and never moaned when he didn’t play. Always did a solid job when he did.

What’s everyone’s fav memories of our Brazilian number 9?

Mine is the obvious centurions chip, but also the way he played. His work rate, smile and at times genuine quality, like the goal he scored vs liverpool last season. An all round likeable player who leaves with best wishes for his future. All the best Gabby.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Re: Farewell Gabby

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:52 am

You said it all. Not an ounce of trouble. I was at Southampton. That finish , 100 points. Top man x will always respect him. X
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:41 am

He is a great advert for himself and the club.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PeterParker » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:01 am

Very frustrating player, but I didn't wanted for him to go.

A really true pro and I think an exceptional human.
He will forever be a Centurion and a Fourmidable.

Good luck, Gabby.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:01 am

Gabriel Jesus’ arrival could define Mikel Arteta’s tenure at Arsenal
Gabriel Jesus, Arsenal, Manchester City
By Michael Cox Jun 26, 2022

Whereas Manchester City and Liverpool have signed centre-forwards unfamiliar with the Premier League, Arsenal’s impending new signing Gabriel Jesus is well accustomed to the English top flight.

Jesus has played for five and a half years in the Premier League with City. He’s played more Premier League games than Eric Cantona did. He’s got as many assists as Freddie Ljungberg and scored more goals than Tim Cahill.

We know his strengths and his weaknesses inside out. What we don’t truly know is his optimum position.

We were introduced to Jesus upon his arrival from Palmeiras in Brazil in 2017 as a pure striker, a speedy No 9 who ran in behind, and while not necessarily the most formidable aerial threat, possessing a decent leap, and also a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

In the formative days of expected goals — at least in media terms — Jesus was often highlighted as a player who would come good on the basis of his xG numbers (rather than his actual goals return).

But statistics since suggest he’s not the most clinical finisher, underperforming his xG number in four of his five complete Premier League seasons — and in the other, overperforming by just 0.2, essentially “par”. Jesus puts himself in the right positions to get on the end of chances, as you might hope of an attacker playing ahead of the most creative midfield in Europe. He has sometimes been wasteful, however.

It would be easy to suggest that this is why Jesus increasingly started to be considered a wide forward rather than a centre-forward by City manager Pep Guardiola, although that would slightly misunderstand the way goalscorers operate these days.

Gabriel Jesus never really had a defined role in over five years at Manchester City
Mohamed Salah and Son Heung-min have just shared the Premier League’s 2021-22 Golden Boot by operating from wide, generally facilitated by a centre-forward capable of dropping deeper to create. Jesus’ link-up play is good but he’s more of a wide runner than he is a forward moving into midfield areas.

And all of that makes his expected move to Arsenal, who have agreed personal terms with the forward, particularly intriguing.

Mikel Arteta has worked with Jesus before, spending over three years on the City staff before taking the Arsenal job in December 2019, and since becoming a manager, has broadly followed Guardiola’s template of wanting a centre-forward who boasts good link play above all else. He was never convinced by Pierre-Emerick Aubemeyang because of that shortcoming in his game, initially electing to play him wide and later finding that Arsenal played better without him.

The debate between Alexandre Lacazette and Eddie Nketiah was, broadly speaking, link play versus finishing ability, with Arsenal’s other attacking options looking better with Lacazette until his lack of goal contribution became almost unavoidable.

Perhaps in an ideal world, Arsenal would have signed a world-class No 9, a reliable goalscorer to spearhead the attack, but signing a player like that comes with problems — sometimes a manager simply doesn’t want to use a No 9.

Cristiano Ronaldo did all that could have been expected last season in terms of scoring goals for Manchester United but his side went backwards. Romelu Lukaku’s first year back with Chelsea was a bizarre period, with the Belgium striker complaining about being played out of position and at one point, setting a record for the fewest touches in a Premier League game.

It’s even possible to make a case that Erling Haaland, who arrives at City from Borussia Dortmund with an astonishing goalscoring record, might not necessarily be what that team requires.

But Jesus is not an inflexible No 9 — at the start of 2021-22, we had all seemingly decided he was more of a winger.

“I spoke with Gabriel and he likes to play sometimes more in wider positions than the central one,” Guardiola said after using him down the right for a 5-0 win over Norwich City last August.

“Ferran (Torres) has a big sense for the goal, I would say a little bit higher than Gabriel when he plays in central positions… (Torres’) movements are more towards the goal. Gabriel comes more to drop a little bit, Ferran makes movements more to the goal. With our lack of goals lately, we need a guy who can make a movement there.”

In typically unpredictable fashion, Guardiola used a traditional winger as a forward and a traditional forward as a winger.

In 24 league and European starts last season, Jesus began the game playing through the middle 10 times and started down the right, where he has featured regularly for Brazil, in all the others.

It means that when Arteta approaches a game and decides he doesn’t want to play a conventional centre-forward, he can use Jesus elsewhere and not have a £45 million player sitting on the bench. Arsenal cannot afford to waste resources in that fashion. Gabriel Martinelli can do the same from the opposite side.

That leaves Nketiah as the more typical No 9, although in certain games — particularly against stronger sides — it wouldn’t be surprising to see Emile Smith Rowe or Martin Odegaard as the most advanced central attacking player, with two players breaking in behind from wide. Bukayo Saka can play almost anywhere.

Which means Arteta has by far the biggest range of attacking options since he took charge of the club. Perhaps, in terms of star quality, this Arsenal squad’s strongest attacking trio cannot compete with Lacazette, Aubemayeng and Mesut Ozil, but those three players all had obvious weaknesses that constrained Arteta tactically.

Increasingly, Arteta’s squad is packed full of “his” players, and there are fewer excuses now if Arsenal fail to play “his” style of football to a high standard.

Arteta will probably only get one opportunity to bring in a striker of Jesus’ cost and calibre. His success or failure may define Arteta’s tenure at Arsenal.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:08 am

“and scored more goals than Tim Cahill.”

These journalists are morons aren’t they :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Mase » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:09 am

Top guy Gab. Well liked in the squad. Never caused us any issues. Wish you’d chosen better than Arsenal, but all the best.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:07 am

thought he was going to be incredible when he joined. his goals/min ratio in his first 20 games was off the scale. hard worker and lovely lad but i found myself shouting jesus in frustration more than celebration in the last couple of years. can’t remember a player that’s joined arsenal and flourished in recent years so this might be a risky move. good luck though gab and thanks for the memories (the centurions goal, soton away being the best).
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Kippax Sean » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:44 am

Wish Gabby all the best for the future and hope he shines at arsenal. Good solid professional who has a great work rate. As mentioned already a really likeable player who gave us some great memories.
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:47 am

Dream of a player always worked his bollocks off and his record for city is outstanding. Huge part of a dream era the lad did good !
Arsenal though ? Wtf gabs ????

Good luck !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby littlebig » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:51 am

Gabby is a good lad. All the best to him.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby stupot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:13 am

Thanks Gabby and good luck. I too thought you were going to be a superstar when you 1st arrived. Your debut when you came on as sub against Tottenham with 10 minutes left and we went mad when we thought you'd scored a great winner but you were offside ( we'd get used to that).

Scored some really important goals, worked your bollocks off every game. Hope it goes great at Arsenal except when you play us. For all the " but Arsenal " brigade I'd love to hear a better alternative for him if he wanted to stay in England. Would not get in the dippers or spuds attack so if Chelsea aren't coming in then a Europa team is the next best available surely.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby City64 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:54 am

stupot wrote:Thanks Gabby and good luck. I too thought you were going to be a superstar when you 1st arrived. Your debut when you came on as sub against Tottenham with 10 minutes left and we went mad when we thought you'd scored a great winner but you were offside ( we'd get used to that).

Scored some really important goals, worked your bollocks off every game. Hope it goes great at Arsenal except when you play us. For all the " but Arsenal " brigade I'd love to hear a better alternative for him if he wanted to stay in England. Would not get in the dippers or spuds attack so if Chelsea aren't coming in then a Europa team is the next best available surely.

Spurs don’t buy top players and I think relations between us and them at top level are about the same as Putin and the west after last summer’s bullshit . Also Son and Kane are set so why would anyone sit on the bench waiting for a few minutes to replace one of those two ? Dippers ??? Not a fucking chance we would sell anyone to those horrible bastards , Arsenal I can only think of the Arteta link and he and gabs respect and trust each other with Arteta promising gabs a leading role . Culture at Arsenal is diabolical though totally different to the winning and conquering one at city so gabs will have to get used to that different mindset.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby stupot » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:06 am

City64 wrote:
stupot wrote:Thanks Gabby and good luck. I too thought you were going to be a superstar when you 1st arrived. Your debut when you came on as sub against Tottenham with 10 minutes left and we went mad when we thought you'd scored a great winner but you were offside ( we'd get used to that).

Spurs don’t buy top players and I think relations between us and them at top level are about the same as Putin and the west after last summer’s bullshit . Also Son and Kane are set so why would anyone sit on the bench waiting for a few minutes to replace one of those two ? Dippers ??? Not a fucking chance we would sell anyone to those horrible bastards , Arsenal I can only think of the Arteta link and he and gabs respect and trust each other with Arteta promising gabs a leading role . Culture at Arsenal is diabolical though totally different to the winning and conquering one at city so gabs will have to get used to that different mindset.

Exactly- there's nowhere better he could have gone then.
It's not just Arteta, Edu's there as well and they're big mates apparently.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:24 am

Sky has an article about his move, which included this table about his minutes per goal rate. For all his "poor finishing" he's still 7th in the list...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:43 pm

Bluemoon4610 wrote:Sky has an article about his move, which included this table about his minutes per goal rate. For all his "poor finishing" he's still 7th in the list...

Is that since he joined? Because there are some notable omissions there and Kuns record is better than 106 minutes
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:10 pm

I hope he misses more goals at arsenal than he did with us , and he will not get 50% of the chances he was used to getting with us .

I’ve nothing against him though - did a decent job for us but I’m glad he’s gone to free up that space for Alvarez (who is 10 times the player Gabby is , IMO ) - we are in for a treat with this player .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:17 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Bluemoon4610 wrote:Sky has an article about his move, which included this table about his minutes per goal rate. For all his "poor finishing" he's still 7th in the list...

Is that since he joined? Because there are some notable omissions there and Kuns record is better than 106 minutes

Yes, that's mins per goal for each player since Gabby's debut for us, and only for players with 15+ goals.
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby dazby » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:53 am

Thanks Gab, it's been emotional.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Dimples » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:50 am

100% commitment in every game, never caused trouble, team player. Hope things work out for him.

Re goal scoring. Eye test only. I have not looked at stats.
We are consistently top PL scorers because we create more goal chances than any other team despite not converting a lot of those chances.
Logically then, Haaland and Alvarez should score a lot more goals than any City player did in the previous two seasons (more clinical finishers than Gab & Co.) and Gab should score less than he did the previous two seasons (Arsenal will create less chances than he had at City). Obviously, their totals for goals scored will need to be adjusted for minutes played.
It also means that we should win more 'tight' games, because out goal conversion rate should improve.
It will be interesting to see how the narrative plays out.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum