Phil Foden what does he actually do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Phil Foden what does he actually do?

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:37 pm

tbf he played well against forest, but i agree he needs to step up every game and not just occasionally. no more excuses really.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby PeterParker » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:43 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:tbf he played well against forest, but i agree he needs to step up every game and not just occasionally. no more excuses really.

He’s been absent in all of the UCL later stages last year except late with Madrid. His miss with Inter could had cost us.
But my problem is he is soooo predictable, incapable of using his right foot. Nothing new.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby zabbadabbado » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:22 am

Becoming increasingly cleared that he is not a long term replacement in the middle for KDB.

Simply to inconsistent and ineffective for such an important role.

I am realising now why Pep/Southgate prefer to use him more as a winger.

He might not like it, but he is not a Tier 1 midfielder no matter how skilful.

Great player on his day, that is the problem "On his day"

Still has a long future with us

Unlike the useless £$%^ Philips who is a wage thief. Has zero redeeming qualities other than dictating play by passing backwards and pointing at team mates to do the same. No idea what we saw in this Guy. No idea who will buy him other than a Championship side.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby nottsblue » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:27 am

He and the coaching staff need to agree on his best position and role in the team.

I personally don't think he has it in him to be KDB'S replacement, which to be fair will be hard boots to fill. But in the middle he has too many games where he doesn't influence the game and it seems to bypass him. We need the consistency Merlin and KDB show. Yes, of course they had/have poor games, but they were the exception.

He is becoming a squad player rather than a nailed on starter, which is a shame given the potential he showed, and still does to be fair. But at 23 and 200 games or so he should have been a guaranteed starter.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Outcast » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:50 am

nottsblue wrote:He and the coaching staff need to agree on his best position and role in the team.

I personally don't think he has it in him to be KDB'S replacement, which to be fair will be hard boots to fill. But in the middle he has too many games where he doesn't influence the game and it seems to bypass him. We need the consistency Merlin and KDB show. Yes, of course they had/have poor games, but they were the exception.

He is becoming a squad player rather than a nailed on starter, which is a shame given the potential he showed, and still does to be fair. But at 23 and 200 games or so he should have been a guaranteed starter.

If Alverez continues to get better, he'll be a future starter over Foden
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:15 am

Outcast wrote:
nottsblue wrote:He and the coaching staff need to agree on his best position and role in the team.

I think he's there already
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:23 am

nottsblue wrote:
Outcast wrote:

Playing Alvarez and Haaland together messes us up without Bern and Kev imo. There’s zero creativity and Alvarez isn’t going to provide it. What’s the point in two stood up there with nothing provided for them.

It should be one or the other.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Indianablue » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:42 am

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Outcast wrote:

Playing Alvarez and Haaland together messes us up without Bern and Kev imo. There’s zero creativity and Alvarez isn’t going to provide it. What’s the point in two stood up there with nothing provided for them.

It should be one or the other.

ALVAREZ is the perfect foil for Haaland up front. Haaland needs to do something about his ckose marking problem. He needs to step off them and stop wrestling - refs are not giving him anything. Alvarez was the only outfield player of note against Wolves His goal was superb and we threw it away
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby Mase » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:54 am

Indianablue wrote:ALVAREZ is the perfect foil for Haaland up front. Haaland needs to do something about his ckose marking problem. He needs to step off them and stop wrestling - refs are not giving him anything. Alvarez was the only outfield player of note against Wolves His goal was superb and we threw it away

WITHOUT creativity behind them neither of them are a foil for the other.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:21 pm

Besides being good with both of his feet Alvarez is very different, hard to put a nail on him. Foden instead has become really predictable.
Throw him into a mediocre squad and he would have been forgotten.

I think we should have tried and get Maddison. He is a type of Pep player.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Outcast » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:26 pm

Mase wrote:
Indianablue wrote:ALVAREZ is the perfect foil for Haaland up front. Haaland needs to do something about his ckose marking problem. He needs to step off them and stop wrestling - refs are not giving him anything. Alvarez was the only outfield player of note against Wolves His goal was superb and we threw it away

We'll be fine when Rodders return, defensively and going forward
Outcast

Postby Indianablue » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:29 pm

Mase wrote:

AGREED 100% nobody was finding them yesterday. Our build up play was painfully slow , not the way to play against a packed defence. Haaland needs to run onto a ball into space behind a defence. Too much backwards and forwards across the park with little penetration
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Indianablue » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:30 pm

PeterParker wrote:Besides being good with both of his feet Alvarez is very different, hard to put a nail on him. Foden instead has become really predictable.

Good shout
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:01 pm

Just realised Alvarez has 3 assists this season. I’ll stop talking shite!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:45 am

Phil was struggling again on Saturday, often outmuscled and outrun with zero connections to Erling.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nickyboy » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:32 am

PeterParker wrote:Besides being good with both of his feet Alvarez is very different, hard to put a nail on him. Foden instead has become really predictable.

Maddison isn't fit to lace Foden's boots and is no way a Pep player. He's a luxury player who is being made to look good as the Spurs team is being built around him (Fair play to him he's been very successful this season). He doesn't have the work rate the other way to be a Pep player.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby PeterParker » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:37 am

Nickyboy wrote:

Maddison isn't fit to lace Foden's boots and is no way a Pep player. He's a luxury player who is being made to look good as the Spurs team is being built around him (Fair play to him he's been very successful this season). He doesn't have the work rate the other way to be a Pep player.

Why do you think that?
Maddison looks like a decent orchestrator, something we are missing at the moment. Not saying he is a world beater, but a decent player who can work under Pep. Same as Gundo, who became a monster under Pep. Plus he knows the league, Englishman, so he can fit that spot.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Nickyboy » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:41 am

PeterParker wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:

Why do you think that?
Maddison looks like a decent orchestrator, something we are missing at the moment. Not saying he is a world beater, but a decent player who can work under Pep. Same as Gundo, who became a monster under Pep. Plus he knows the league, Englishman, so he can fit that spot.

When the going got tough at Leicester he missed a lot of games with niggling injuries. I don't think he'd mentally handle the demands of Pep and don';t tihnk he works hard enough without the ball.

Just an opinion. I do however hope he continues his current form for England and stays fit for the euros
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:27 am

I work with a Leicester fan. His words - “Maddison on his day is a very good player, but when he can’t be bothered he’s next to useless. And all of last season he couldn’t be bothered”
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Outcast » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:01 pm

Nickyboy wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:

Why do you think that?

When the going got tough at Leicester he missed a lot of games with niggling injuries. I don't think he'd mentally handle the demands of Pep and don';t tihnk he works hard enough without the ball.

Just an opinion. I do however hope he continues his current form for England and stays fit for the euros

Foden had a bad game, Maddison is a yoyo form, not consistent throughout a season. he doesn't fit top team's systems hence only spurs were in for him.
Foden just needs to bulk up a bit and grow a pair. David Silva was tiny but hardly ever gave the ball away although that wasnt the case when he joined us, He had to bulk up too, Foden could learn a thing or two. I remember many were calling for Gundogan's head before he came good.
I wouldn't swap Foden for Maddison, no chance, although he needs to start showing aggression, shield the ball more by using his upper body, he does look a bit camp when brushed aside
Outcast

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum