City Launch Legal Challenge Against PL Charges & Barrister

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: City Launch Legal Challenge Against PL Charges & Barrist

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 21, 2023 8:09 am

Original Dub wrote:
Outcast wrote:The cunts have taken the shine out of our title win. I don't care how you sugar coat it, they managed to leave a horrid feeling, probably anger. I wish everyone that illegally conspired to take our club down nothing but slow death.

No they haven't mate. Not one tiny bit.

Their sole aim is to do just that but it just makes me love it all the more because they're frothing at the mouth.

I just like highlighting it because it shows them up for what they really are. They're not football journalists, they're bitter opposition fans

I concur OD

I am buzzing still this morning. I can’t even contemplate what I’ll be feeling if we win the lot. And nothing the media can say or print will diminish it for me. In some ways it becomes a siege mentality. Us against the world. And if that spurs us on to greater glory then bring it
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 21, 2023 8:23 am

Bear60 wrote:https://apple.news/ALelZi-OlRNKlGXVN3ydO_A

Take a look at this negativity from the independent how are this tossers aloud to print this it’s just pure and utter jealousy

You only have to see the “journalist” who “wrote” this article. Miguel Delaney. Those two names set the tone of anything that he publishes.

However one thing I’ve noticed. As all these articles claim our recent years of success are destroying the fabric of football in the PL, the side effect is they are confirming, probably unwittingly given their stupidity, that we are the greatest side in the PL era, possibly of all time.

But nothing that is said or printed will be stopping the trophy engraver from adding the words Manchester City 2022/23 to the PL trophy. And the fact it will be residing on our sideboard for another year. Probably along with one or two others. Seems like the cleaners have got a bit more polishing to do and long it may continue
nottsblue

Postby Mase » Sun May 21, 2023 8:23 am

nottsblue wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Outcast wrote:The cunts have taken the shine out of our title win. I don't care how you sugar coat it, they managed to leave a horrid feeling, probably anger. I wish everyone that illegally conspired to take our club down nothing but slow death.

Their sole aim is to do just that but it just makes me love it all the more because they're frothing at the mouth.

I just like highlighting it because it shows them up for what they really are. They're not football journalists, they're bitter opposition fans

I concur OD

I am buzzing still this morning. I can’t even contemplate what I’ll be feeling if we win the lot. And nothing the media can say or print will diminish it for me. In some ways it becomes a siege mentality. Us against the world. And if that spurs us on to greater glory then bring it

I’m in the camp where I absolutely love it when they push these stories. We’ve hurt them so much and I love to see their tears through nonsense stories. I can imagine the authors go home and sit going on about City cheating to their husbands and they just can’t get us off their mind that much it ruins their lives. Fuckin brilliant.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Outcast » Sun May 21, 2023 8:42 am

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I concur OD

I’m in the camp where I absolutely love it when they push these stories. We’ve hurt them so much and I love to see their tears through nonsense stories. I can imagine the authors go home and sit going on about City cheating to their husbands and they just can’t get us off their mind that much it ruins their lives. Fuckin brilliant.

I can handle media bullshit, to publish crap on the day we win it is even low by their standards, if they got any. I was just expressing how I felt this morning.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Sun May 21, 2023 9:40 am

nottsblue wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I concur OD

I'll have to take exception to this post
You can't use the words spurs and glory in the same sentence! :lol: :lol:
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby johnny crossan » Mon May 22, 2023 8:52 am

"If a way to the better there be, it exacts a full look at the worst" even if it includes this shriek of pain from the US PL cartel propaganda outlet 'The Athletic' (Rag & Dipper News from the Pathetic :lol: )

Manchester City, Premier League champions*?;

The charges hanging over the Premier League champions are rarely mentioned, such is the poetry of the football on the pitch

Adam Crafton
May 22, 2023

Twenty-four minutes. That is how long it took for Real Madrid to complete a pass in the Manchester City half of the pitch last week, as the team coached by Pep Guardiola dismantled the Spanish side in the Champions League semi-finals. And that pass, by the way, was a kick-off after conceding a goal.
The final score was 4-0 but, to many observers, it was as magisterial a performance as we have seen from an English club side in European competition.
It was an emasculation of European football’s most decorated aristocrat, having previously taken apart German clubs Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig in previous rounds.

In the Premier League, City hit Manchester United for half a dozen in October, and put four past Arsenal and then Liverpool during a 12-match winning streak that has sealed a third title in a row and fifth Premier League trophy in six years.
The disassembly of Madrid brought to mind a quote from the former Arsenal player Theo Walcott after he endured one of Barcelona’s more mesmeric displays against his own team in 2010. “It was like someone was holding a PlayStation controller and moving the figures around,” he said.
In Spain, they used to call it “ganar sin despeinarse”, meaning to win without messing your hair up, and there have been occasions in recent years where Guardiola’s football is so surgical, so pinpoint, so balletically undisturbed and beautiful, that you begin to wonder whether it is all a personal choreographed recital, rather than a sporting occasion that depends on jeopardy.
And, in the coming weeks, confirmation of this team’s greatness is likely. The Premier League is sealed and should City beat Manchester United in the FA Cup final on June 3 and Inter in the Champions League final on June 10, then City will become the second English team, along with Sir Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United in 1999, to secure all three trophies in the same campaign.
Erling Haaland savours his first Premier League title (Photo: Michael Regan/Getty Images)

If successful, Guardiola and his players will have a strong claim to be the greatest English football team in the sport’s history. But their employers may, yet, also have a strong claim to be the greatest cheats in the history of the sport in England. This was the framing of an analysis piece in The Times of London on Saturday, which ended by inviting readers to decide online in a poll as to which category should City belong. Seventy per cent had voted “greatest cheat” by Sunday morning.

The genesis is a 736-word statement on the Premier League website in February, which revealed City have been “referred to an independent commission” after being charged with 115 alleged breaches of Premier League rules between 2009 and 2018. It certainly gave a different meaning to the “Centurions” tag that City bestowed upon themselves when they became the first club in Premier League history to hit 100 points in the 2017-18 season.
Among the charges, City stand accused of failing to provide accurate financial information, “in particular with respect to its revenue (including sponsorship revenue)”; failing to disclose managerial payments during the Italian coach Roberto Mancini’s time at the club between 2009 and 2013; and breaching Premier League rules on profit and sustainability between 2015 and 2018 (Guardiola arrived in the summer of 2016).
They also stand accused of breaching Premier League rules on profit and sustainability in 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18, while the Premier League also argue City did not comply with UEFA, European football’s governing body, regulations around financial fair play in 2013-14 and between 2014-15 and 2017-18.
City were banned from European competitions for two years by UEFA for alleged breaches of its FFP regulations in February 2020. The sanction was overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in July of the same year, however, when the court ruled “most of the alleged breaches were either not established or time-barred”.
Some of UEFA’s charges were time-barred, in that they were outside the organisation’s five-year statute of limitations, but most of them were simply “not established”, as far as the panel was concerned. City painted this as vindication, but they were also fined €10million (£8.7m, $10.8m) for not cooperating with the investigation.

There are no such time-barring restrictions on the Premier League’s investigation and the potential punishments, outlined in rule W.51 of the Premier League’s handbook, range from a reprimand and fines to points deductions — and even expulsion from the Premier League.
In a statement, City expressed their “surprise” at the Premier League’s charges and pushed back against suggestions they had failed to engage with the investigation.
Neatly, City have not lost a match since the charges landed in February. Various reports have suggested a sense of perceived injustice brought City’s group closer together, although it may all be a coincidence given City have previously demonstrated similar form late on in a season.
The expectation is that it will be years rather than months by the time a final verdict is delivered, which leaves the Premier League and City in a state of purgatory. The speed of the legal process does not fit neatly around Premier League seasons and as such, English football’s top flight is currently trapped.
City supporters’ flag in support of the barrister in February (Photo: James Gill – Danehouse/Getty Images)

On Sunday afternoon, the loveless marriage between the competition’s organiser and its champion was demonstrated once more. Before City’s 1-0 win against Chelsea, the club’s supporters paraded flags gifted to them for the occasion and belted out the Queen hit “We Are the Champions”. Then the Premier League anthem played and it was drowned out by boos around the stadium, as supporters back their club’s executive in taking the fight to the division’s organisers.

Earlier this season, City supporters even unveiled a flag in honour of Lord David Pannick QC, a barrister who recently attempt to defend the former British prime minister Boris Johnson in the “partygate” scandal, but who is also defending Manchester City in their trials and tribulations with the Premier League.
In the final, perfect encapsulation of the Premier League’s contradictory role as competition organiser, regulator and prosecutor, Richard Masters, its chief executive, stood at the podium on the Etihad Stadium pitch, handing out medals to the club his own organisation alleges to be serial cheats.

To some, and perhaps this applies most notably to former footballers in their roles as pundits, the City performances are so poetic that it has become blasphemous to even debate the how and the why of the club’s success. On Saturday evening, when Arsenal’s defeat at Nottingham Forest confirmed City’s latest title, the BBC’s highlights programme Match of the Day dedicated 25 seconds (question and answer inclusive) to the topic. BT Sport, the British broadcaster of the Champions League, paid scant attention to the matter during their coverage of City’s win against Real Madrid. Champagne was handed out in the press room at the Etihad on Sunday.

Those currently playing within football, even for City’s rivals, never bring up the topic. “For the players, it is ‘whatever’. They respect City’s football talent and are disinterested in the wider schematic,” says a source who has worked at a Premier League club, but spoke anonymously, like others in this piece, to protect his relationships.

In short, nobody in a rival dressing room is pointing out how City earned £1.7billion in commercial income in the ten years to the end of 2020, while Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal averaged £1.1 billion each. Critics would argue this was an unlikely outcome given the breadth of the respective clubs’ global support, and City might point to the work of a commercial masterclass.
This debate is largely confined to courtrooms, as well as pages of broadsheet newspapers or social media baiting.

Last week, at one stage, #LanceArmstrongFC began to appear on Twitter while other users shared the clip from the film Damned United, which recounted Brian Clough’s 44 days at Leeds United in 1974, in which he told his players their previous success had been won through unfair means.
“As far as I’m concerned,” Clough tells his Leeds players, “the first thing you can do for me is chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest flippin’ dustbin you can find. Because you’ve never won any of them fairly. You’ve done it all by bloomin’ cheating.”
Until the Premier League returns a verdict, we will endure these peculiar cycles, where City win things and a myriad of journalists and rival supporters line up to question the authenticity of the success, and those within City defend the club’s honour.
As for why the football industry itself remains so quiet, there can be various explanations.

Ordinarily, if a club is mired in scandal, we might expect sponsors to have something to say about the matter. But none of those who associate with City (either the many linked to Abu Dhabi or the ones completely separate to the state) have put forward any concerns publicly.
The next thing to say is that the Premier League has now brought the charges, so it is simply a case of waiting and watching. This has not always been the case.

During the four years in which City remained under Premier League investigation, rival clubs would seek to press for progress on the matter in various ways. This sometimes included informal phone calls to Premier League HQ from owners and chief executives of its clubs. On other occasions, legal letters or requests for information would land at the Premier League. Sometimes, clubs sought to catch the Premier League and City cold by requesting updates in shareholders meetings. The clubs would always be told by the most senior Premier League personnel that the matter remained under investigation and no further information could be disclosed.

It is worth saying, too, that the protests were not limited to those clubs at the top of the division. “The whole division believed it to be outrageous,” says a source familiar with such Premier League meetings. “They would be agitating and asking what would happen, which could never be answered.”
If you are wondering why clubs in the lower reaches may be concerned about City, then take the example of Everton. In March this year, the Premier League referred Everton to an independent commission over an alleged breach of financial fair play rules in the 2021-22 season. Everton narrowly stayed up last year and remain imperilled this time around, meaning any points deductions given to Everton (if found guilty) could have spared the status of their closest rivals. Everton said they were disappointed by the decision and pledged to robustly defend their position.

We must also recognise that those who have dared to speak publicly before have been the subject of smears and briefings.
When, for example, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said in October there are “three clubs in world football who can do what they want financially” (by which he meant state-linked clubs City, Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain), media reports carried anonymous quotes from senior City sources to say that the German’s comments were felt to be “borderline xenophobic.” No spokesperson put their name to these quotes, as is often the way in football, but Klopp found himself having to counter baseless allegations.

Much of this strife began when City’s emails and documents emerged from Football Leaks and found their way into the German newspaper Der Spiegel in 2018. City’s detractors say the documents appeared to show City bypassing financial rules within football by disguising state investment as sponsorship revenues. City have always refused to comment on any of the German newspaper’s revelations because they say the leaks were “criminally obtained”.
In one email, a leading City lawyer wrote that Khaldoon al Mubarak, the club’s chairman, had said that “he would rather spend 30million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue them for the next 10 years” than agree to any financial settlement or penalty from UEFA.
City’s strategy, increasingly, appears to show a pattern of prevarication and obstruction, kicking the can so far down the road that the players who benefited from some of the earliest alleged breaches have now retired. It has an effect, too, on its critics, because the charges begin to feel so drawn-out, so historic, that anyone who continues to bang on about City or scrutinise the club is depicted as having a vendetta — either due to an alleged distaste for the club’s Abu Dhabi ownership, or because of the vested interests of those they represent.
Khaldoon Al Mubarak and Pep Guardiola with the Premier League trophy after the Premier League match at the Etihad Stadium, Manchester. Picture date: Sunday May 21, 2023.

This was the fate to this week befell Murray Rosen KC, the barrister who is the head of the Premier League’s independent judicial panel and who will appoint the chair of the independent commission to adjudicate on City’s case.
Rosen, who has spent almost half a century in the profession, is an Arsenal supporter, which raised objections from City. It seemed a peculiar approach for a club who greeted the 115 Premier League charges by saying it welcomed the chance to present its “comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence that exists in support of its position.” The protest over the involvement of an Arsenal fan seemed particularly absurd when you consider that City’s own defending barrister, Lord David Pannick KC, is also an Arsenal fan.
Despite City’s public statement about welcoming the chance to present their irrefutable evidence, the Premier League charges include allegations the club obstructed the investigation, first heading to court to question the league’s jurisdiction to investigate it and then once more to prevent any details becoming public.
Lord Justice Stephen Males, a High Court judge who heard the latter case, wrote: “This is an investigation which commenced in December 2018. It is surprising, and a matter of legitimate public concern, that so little progress has been made after two and a half years — during which, it may be noted, the club has twice been crowned as Premier League champions.” Twice, of course, has now become four.
Kevin Parker, the general secretary of the Manchester City supporters club, said in February that the club’s achievements “will be tainted if the club are found guilty.” Gary Neville, the former Manchester United defender and now prolific pundit, stated similar in a newspaper interview this weekend.

As for the Premier League, it is an uncomfortable predicament surrounding a club that has claimed seven of its past 12 titles. It must be frustrating for Guardiola and his players too, because if indeed City are innocent, then it must be rather irritating to have their achievements clouded by these discussions.
The Premier League, we should remember, is a private company owned by whichever 20 clubs are competing in the division. And moments such as this would appear to underline the absurdity of the Premier League being the competition organiser, regulator and prosecutor simultaneously. For a long time, we wondered whether a body that seeks to sell broadcast deals all over the globe would view it as being in the competition’s interests to move decisively to accuse one of its own of a decade’s worth of cheating.
There will likely be talk now of a potentially tainted competition, or trophies won but accompanied by an asterisk. And it is certainly hard to resist such conclusions if City are found guilty.

And yet, it does feel faintly ridiculous that City’s accounting is the drawbridge at which we all stop and wonder whether the Premier League has lost some credibility. After all, if we are going to relitigate a decade’s worth of City’s success, might it also be wise to consider the 18 trophies won by Chelsea during a period in which Roman Abramovich, a sanctioned pal of Vladimir Putin, loaned £1.6billion to the club? Or that another of Putin’s oligarchs, Alisher Usmanov, continued to sponsor Everton through one of his companies while barred from entering the UK?
Abramovich applauds Chelsea being crowned Premier League champions in 2017 (Photo: BEN STANSALL/AFP via Getty Images)

Or could the Premier League be tainted by the 80 per cent stake of a Saudi sovereign wealth fund, the Public Investment Fund, in Newcastle United? The PIF is chaired by the Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman, who U.S. intelligence services deemed responsible for approving the operation that killed the journalist Jamal Khashoggi (MBS describes the findings as flawed). On Saturday afternoon, Sky Sports ran a jubilant interview with the Nottingham Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis, who has been investigated for the financing of heroin smuggling but has always strenuously denied any criminal activity.
This is all a masterclass in whataboutery, of course, and pointing over there is rarely the answer. This is an argument for more regulation, rather than a descent into further embarrassment. If found guilty, the reality will be that City are the ones who signed up to a set of rules they did not like and then proceeded to break them.

Besides, none of the above appear to have done anything at all yet to derail the popularity or commercial value of the Premier League, and it is probably fair to say the plotline of City (hypothetically) beginning a campaign with docked points, for example, would do more to stir attention than turn viewers away.
Equally, the Premier League might point to their rival competitions. In Italy’s Serie A, Juventus’ transfer dealings remain under investigation. In Spain’s La Liga, the champions, Barcelona, have been charged with corruption concerning payments made to the former vice-president of Spanish football’s refereeing committee and his son, all of whom deny any wrongdoing, in a case brought by the Spanish public prosecutor’s office.
Beyond the commercial ramifications, there are the intangibles. The double standards.

How would we treat another sport, say cycling or track and field, where the most successful outfit, boasting the most talented coach and gifted players, is accused of cheating over a course of a decade? The UK parliament would likely haul the sport’s organisers over hot coals in a select committee and we would question if we believe what we are seeing in front of us. Scepticism would be conditioned.
But there is, rightly or wrongly, a further reality at play. If a doped-up athlete has been putting needles in their arms or consuming substances so they can run higher, jump further or move faster than their rivals, it is a more engaging and compelling narrative for the general public to wrap its head around, because we are directly familiar with the athletes who turn out in front of us, and because it is frankly easier to understand.

To demonstrate that the books may have been cooked over a ten-year period is technical, dry and, to be blunt, not what most people are seeking when they desire an escape in sport from the ennui of everyday life, or when they log onto Twitter or TikTok for a bitesize bulletin of the latest sports news.
Yet this story is experiencing a cut-through. On Saturday evening, the BBC released a six-minute video by one of their lead news presenters Ros Atkins, who became popular during the COVID-19 pandemic for his thorough explanations of things that really mattered. The video, which Atkins introduced by saying that “questions remain about how the club does business”, had recorded three million views by the time City picked up the title the following evening.

Yet even if athletics might attract scepticism, the truth is that when the 100 metres races start at the Olympic Games in Paris next summer, they remain the hottest ticket in town.

And, deep down, even if the worst — or best, depending on one’s view — happens with Manchester City, many suspect that the Premier League will likely be the same.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby salford city » Mon May 22, 2023 9:46 am

^^ There's the bbc and Atkins again. Shame they didn't make more of rhe fact that they were hiding a bunch of kiddy fiddlers in plain sight. I would love this to end with us finally taking down the PL and exposing all the crooked, yank ked dealings. Sick to fucking death of it
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bournemouthcityfan » Mon May 22, 2023 10:58 am

I’m hoping city’s legal team prevail and then the club launches defamation lawsuits on all the journalists and other club figures. If we’re innocent then it’s time to set them straight.
Bournemouthcityfan
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sergio Augero

Postby johnny crossan » Mon May 22, 2023 8:27 pm

Bournemouthcityfan wrote:I’m hoping city’s legal team prevail and then the club launches defamation lawsuits on all the journalists and other club figures. If we’re innocent then it’s time to set them straight.
I've just commented on Crafton's twitter feed -

I suppose, given the objectives of your US employers, it would be indelicate of you to mention the real cheats who corrupted football through their protection racket aka FFP? A certain freedom from integrity is needed to pump out this ordure and its associated racist propaganda

Here's Martin Samuel's piece when the PL charged us earlier this year

Yes, Manchester City broke the rules – but the rules protect the old elite, Manchester United & Liverpool

Financial Fair Play has been perverted in order to shore up the dominance of Manchester United and Liverpool

by Martin Samuel
Tuesday February 07 2023, 6.15pm

On June 13, 2012, Harry Redknapp was sacked by Tottenham Hotspur. He had 12 months left on his contract, and wanted another year. Redknapp knew the club had been talking to other managers, but was still hopeful. He had a brief conversation with Daniel Levy, the chairman, then went back to the Grosvenor House hotel in London, leaving his agent in charge of negotiations. He later got a call to say his employment had been terminated.

A few weeks before this, Tottenham had failed to qualify for the Champions League. The club had finished fourth in the Premier League but this was the season in which only the top three progressed, because Chelsea qualified as holders despite coming sixth. It isn’t certain that Redknapp would have been retained, but it would have been hard to dismiss a manager with two Champions League qualifications in three years for Tottenham at the time. Redknapp had already given the club their tournament debut the previous season, and reached the quarter-finals.

However, the 2011-12 Premier League title was won by Manchester City and, on April 8, Arsenal beat them 1-0 thanks to an 87th-minute goal by Mikel Arteta. So, if City are now to be retrospectively stripped of their titles — as many wish — it is not quite as simple as handing the prize to the second-placed team. If City disappear, their results must be expunged from the records and, with them, Arsenal’s three points. As this happens, Tottenham would leap above them into third place, qualifying for the Champions League in La-La land and arguably preserving Redknapp’s job.

Agüero celebrates his dramatic late winner against QPR that clinched the title for City in 2012

“You could not remove a single grain of sand from its place without thereby changing something throughout all parts of the immeasurable whole,” the German philosopher Johann Gottlieb Fichte wrote; but if the Premier League is foolhardy enough, it might have a swing at it.

Others too. Take the 2013-14 League Cup final, in which City beat Sunderland. Giving the trophy to Sunderland takes for granted they would have defeated the alternate finalists. West Ham United were defeated by City in the semi-final and Sunderland played West Ham twice that season, and didn’t win either game. Unpicking City from English football across the past decade is therefore impossible. It’s the butterfly effect. A butterfly, flapping its wings, can trigger a tornado. City’s first Premier League title win came against eight clubs that are now in the Sky Bet Championship, plus Bolton Wanderers of League One. It is not as easy as just tossing a pot to the next in line.

So any punishment City are due must exist in the here and now. A points deduction, perhaps summary relegation — either could be justified given the widespread nature of the accusations. City were members of an organisation and, as such, were bound to play by its rules. If found guilty they have broken multiple undertakings of good faith and can expect to be punished accordingly. The fate of Saracens is most certainly one precedent. The reputational damage is immense too. If City are found to have systematically corrupted the competition, that is a tough stain to wash clean.

However.

The degree to which City’s alleged corruption is greater than the protectionist corruption of Financial Fair Play (FFP) is quite another matter. Those loyal to the European Super League cabal won’t agree, but City are accused of breaking rules that shouldn’t exist in their present form. What began as an assault on unscrupulous owners and debt was twisted into a means of thwarting new money coming into the game, while protecting an elite. If we are giving City’s titles to their rivals, there is not a lengthy list of benefactors: it’s Manchester United, then Liverpool, then United, then Liverpool, then United, then Liverpool.
The red clubs, who love the English game so much they conspired to destroy it not so long ago, would again be close to untouchable: just as they like it, just as they have engineered it.

City and Chelsea get the blame for inflating the transfer market, but there has been a steady rise over many years, largely driven by the clubs that now seek protection from new wealth. United broke the British transfer record in 1962, 1981, 1995, 2001, 2002 and 2016; Arsenal in 1928, 1938, 1971 and 1995; Tottenham in 1968 and 1970; Liverpool in 1995. Since the Second World War, Derby County have broken the British transfer record more times than City. So inflation was always with us and the global elite, having created this market — because AC Milan, Barcelona, Marseille, Juventus, Lazio and Real Madrid also feature heavily in the escalation here — then linked the ability to play the market with the financial capacity of a club. The rules City are accused of breaking are the ones designed to keep them in their place; and Newcastle United, or any other club challenging the orthodoxy.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer might have had a glittering United reign if rivals had failed to challenge the orthodoxy

Grow organically — that is the sermon. But what club can, now that Champions League football and a berth among the elite is the Holy Grail for every player? How can Everton grow organically if United take Wayne Rooney before his 19th birthday? How can Brighton & Hove Albion grow into consistent top-four contenders while being plundered by those already occupying the space? It is certain West Ham will lose Declan Rice this summer too, heading off more organic growth.

Meanwhile, in Germany, an ambitious player knows what he has to do to win the Bundesliga: leave and sign for Bayern Munich, who are on their way to an 11th straight title. And, yes, promising players have always moved to bigger clubs — but, back then, the rulebook hadn’t enshrined organic growth as the only legitimate means of improvement. The elite have carved up the game and its revenue streams until only sovereign wealth funds can compete at their level — and then moulded FFP to limit what can be invested, even by those who can afford it.

What about Leicester City, then? And it’s true — in one freakish season that will possibly never be repeated, a club from outside the elite won the Premier League. It remains the greatest achievement in domestic football. Yet it certainly came at a price. Last week it was announced that the Leicester chairman, Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, wiped off the club’s debt of £194 million to King Power International by converting it to shares. So maybe the guardians of fair play will come for that manoeuvre next, considering Roman Abramovich used the same strategy at the original financial dopers, Chelsea. Who knows, maybe if FFP can be manipulated even further we can remove all sense of surprise from the competition until the three richest clubs in the country play title pass-the-parcel?

For looking back across City’s six Premier League wins, United would have won three of them. And not even a good United. Ordinary United; the United who got knocked out of the Champions League by Sevilla and lost in 2017-18 to Newcastle, West Bromwich Albion, Brighton and Huddersfield Town; the 2020-21 United that won two games in succession only four times across an entire campaign and, at one point, won four games in thirteen, losing seven. Without the new money coming into English football — and Leicester are a part of that, as are Newcastle — the advantages of size and wealth would be so great, the competition would be immeasurably poorer. United wouldn’t need to be good; they would just need to be United. The rest of it is as good as laid out for them.

Newcastle are bending over backwards to comply with FFP and have done incredibly well, but they’re not a threat yet. Give it time. The Premier League already rushed through regulation on owner-sponsorship, so that United can mine Saudi wealth more effectively than Newcastle, who are actually owned by Saudis.
Guardiola’s side face a points deduction, or perhaps summary relegation, if the charges are upheld

Part of the rulebook now governs inflated commercial agreements, but how to measure inflation? Newcastle’s previous deals had an obvious ceiling, but the club are bursting through that. So a contract could be signed not on where the club are now, but where they hope to be in five or ten years. And what seems inflated in 2023 may be a bargain in 2030.

Chelsea have constructed their latest player contracts the same way, growing year on year. By 2030 a player such as Mykhailo Mudryk could be earning £350,000 a week, yet by 2030, if he progresses as expected, that won’t seem unreasonable. Still, for now, the elite have Newcastle where they want them. Shopping mid-range and with four wins in nine across all competitions, as demands on the squad increase.

It was at this point that the City project went into overdrive. Sergio Agüero, Yaya Touré, David Silva, Roberto Mancini. The FFP drawbridge was shutting and they escalated recruitment rapidly to get inside the castle. The accusation remains that, in doing so, they were not honest. Maybe. But, paradoxically, they kept the league honest, because standards improved and have never been higher. City have helped make the Premier League the place to be, because the best players are here, the best managers and the best football. Still, watching mediocre United teams win title after title; that would definitely have been fun too.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Wed May 24, 2023 9:23 pm

here's Martin Samuel's piece from yesterday
If Man City need an asterisk, then so do all the title winners since 2014
Martin Samuel
Tuesday May 23 2023, 5.45pm, The Times
Asterisks next to the roll call of league champions? All for it. Start in 2013-14 and go from there.

“This league was won,” the asterisk would indicate, “under protectionist regulations known as Financial Fair Play (FFP). These prevented owners investing fully in their businesses, making the established elite clubs stronger and weakening their smaller opponents. The clubs that stood to gain the most helped to shape these rules in which limits were placed on ambition and the potential for competition.” Obviously, the asterisks would have to start a little earlier for the Champions League, where FFP has been running since 2011-12.

Not the asterisks you imagined? You may support one of the clubs whose followers are most obsessed with caveats, FFP and the need for clubs to grow organically. Not their clubs, of course. Those giant, established clubs did their organic growing — and some that was heavily reliant on owner investment, too — when there were no financial controls beyond those governing all businesses, which is as it should be. It’s just these other clubs that need to be controlled.

Manchester City, obviously, but Leicester City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Everton and all the rest getting ideas above their station. They need to be told how to run their businesses, until such a time as the “big six” want to break free again and join Real Madrid and friends because, let’s face it, nobody wants to watch the smaller clubs, because they’re not competitive enough.
City’s title win has brought mixed reactions

Manchester United versus Wolves is no match for Manchester United versus Barcelona. Yet why is that? Last week the Wolves head coach, Julen Lopetegui, emerged from a meeting with Jeff Shi, the owner, very disheartened. Wolves are now safe in 13th place, but it wasn’t so long ago that they feared relegation. Lopetegui arrived with a fire to put out but had good reason to believe that if he succeeded, this was a club with ambition. Wolves have finished in the top half of the table in three of the four previous seasons and a strong and smart relationship with the agent Jorge Mendes has allowed them to mine young talent, particularly from Portugal.

But not this summer. “I know now there are some Financial Fair Play problems that I didn’t know before,” Lopetegui said. “I hope we will solve this issue because it is very difficult to compete in the Premier League without investment.”

Indeed. Ask Leicester, staring at relegation seven seasons after winning the league. There is now a fear that Wolves could lose their head coach over what he regards as broken promises. As for Leicester, it’s such a shame when bad things happen to good exceptions. Leicester were the poster club for those who claimed FFP wouldn’t only deliver the prizes to the established order each season. Yet last summer those same rules meant selling their best defender, Wesley Fofana, to Chelsea and rejecting the manager’s request for a much needed rebuild.

So now Leicester are likely to be relegated. Do most modern Premier League owners have the funds to finance investment in their project? Yes. Are they allowed? No. Because they cannot grow in any significant way they must sit, ripe for plunder, as their best players are taken away piecemeal, as has happened at Southampton. And everyone knows it. The summer after Leicester delivered the greatest title win in history, they lost two players to Chelsea, who had finished tenth. And nobody was surprised. Of course Chelsea were the better long-term bet. Where were Leicester actually going, a club of that size and limited potential? FFP had them firmly in hand, in a way Chelsea were not, and never will be.

The irony being that the original targets of FFP were Roman Abramovich and Chelsea. Yet by the time the rules were in place, Chelsea had their feet under the table and were so cosy that Abramovich actually supported the regulations as a way of keeping out an even bigger threat: City.
Lopetegui is concerned about how FFP regulations may affect his plans at Wolves

The former Uefa president Michel Platini used to dumbly cite Abramovich’s backing for FFP as evidence that his big idea was working. It didn’t occur to him that Abramovich saw its protectionist worth the moment he got inside the castle, before the drawbridge went up. In the first season of Uefa’s FFP rules, the Champions League was won by Chelsea; and in its second season as a Premier League framework, the title went their way too.

Abramovich was suddenly a supporter of a system that would prevent another owner investing as he had. This is why, when you find a poster, or caller, enraged by City’s regulatory rule breaches, it tends to be a follower of one of the clubs that got to sculpt the rules and are now deeply disappointed by how it is turning out. The rest, those who would like to step across the VIP cordon occasionally but find they can’t, tend to see all the Super League wannabes as the same. Why would a fan of Wolves back a system that could place the club where Leicester are now in one year’s time, and also cost them a very good manager?

The reaction to City’s latest title win is revealing because it tends to split on straight lines. City fans on one side, obviously. Yet a lot of those whose clubs sit outside that Champions League scramble are no admirers of FFP or the established elite either. They see it as a carve-up too. Why would a supporter of Newcastle United get behind a system that submits any sponsorship with a Saudi Arabian company to stringent related-party regulations, yet allows Manchester United to mine the wealth of the same nation carefree? Why would fans of Everton or Leeds United, clubs who are seeking investment, champion regulations that would lessen the impact if any could be found?

Even the Manchester United stalwart Gary Neville now says he is uncomfortable with rules that are tantamount to restraint of trade. “I’ve got a real problem with FFP, I’ve had it for a long time,” he said this week. “It was driven through by the established elite so that clubs like City, clubs like Chelsea, couldn’t compete with them — basically they can always pat them on the head and say ‘stay down there’. I think a new Jack Walker [the former Blackburn Rovers owner] in any town should be able to drive their team. I like the idea that Sunderland could one day compete for the Champions League and compete for the Premier League title, but under FFP you’re only allowed to spend the money that your revenue allows, so you’ll always be down there.”
Leicester had to sell Fofana to Chelsea because of FFP rules

Quite why he wants a government regulator to enforce more of that red tape who knows, but that’s long been my argument against FFP too. Indeed, it’s always been my argument since first denouncing it in a Times column on June 30, 2008, more than a month before Sheikh Mansour’s unexpected takeover of City, and before the term Financial Fair Play had even been minted. Back then, it was just a twinkle in Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and Bayern Munich’s eye. Turned out rather well for them since, you may note.

What’s it been like, swimming against the FFP tide for 15 years? A bit like that Family Guy scene where Peter tells them all he did not care for The Godfather. “It insists upon itself,” he explains. As does FFP. Everyone discusses it now as if billionaires showing a financial profit is a fabulous new trophy. So it has worked, this sleight of hand, this gaming of the system. Now people think football is more accountancy than artistry or athleticism and they want the asterisk to go against the name of the English team that plays the best football, possibly ever.

The alleged inaccurate reporting of finances is supposed to trump any beauty we have seen. And doesn’t that cut to the heart of the modern game? After all, how many times do fans leave the stadium with spotless accountancy the only light in a bleak horizon? “Well, we might have been stuffed by Middlesbrough again, lads, but what about the accurate reporting of our finances, eh? If you excuse me, I must rush home to craft a giant flag for when our accountants come by on an open-top bus.”

And the sums should add up, of course, as they must in any business. Yet in no other field has owner investment, the type that sparks the ignition of invention and success, been imbued with a scent of criminality. So if City have done wrong, they will be punished, and those are the rules of the game. But those rules and where the asterisks go: let’s just say I beg to differ.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 24, 2023 9:41 pm

On the money as usual
nottsblue

Postby Original Dub » Wed May 24, 2023 9:48 pm

It's only fitting in a season where city presented their masterpiece that Martin Samuel has followed suit.

Take a bow, son
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby johnny crossan » Sat May 27, 2023 1:27 pm

If you really want to plumb the depths of hatred and ignorance about us and football in general listen to this Times podcast (edited).
These stooges provide a masterclass in bitterness, bias and integrity-free discussion.
Watch on youtube.com

MAY 22, 2023
Man City Are Champions Again.......
Hugh Woozencroft is joined by Gregor Robertson, Alyson Rudd and Tom Roddy to look back at the weekend's Premier League action and discuss the biggest stories of the week. Manchester City win the Premier League for a third consecutive season, how has Pep Guardiola been able to maintain the consistency at the club whilst also managing a number of world-class players? Will their dominance continue in the years to come? (14:55)Pep Guardiola's side have now won 5 Premier League titles in the last 6 seasons, but why do fans still not consider them to be one of the greatest teams in history? We'll ask if the 115 alleged breaches of financial rules from the Premier League has tarnished their legacy in how they are viewed. (26:05)...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/podcasts/the-game
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby patrickblue » Sun May 28, 2023 2:10 pm

johnny crossan wrote:If you really want to plumb the depths of hatred and ignorance about us and football in general listen to this Times podcast (edited).
These stooges provide a masterclass in bitterness, bias and integrity-free discussion.
Watch on youtube.com

MAY 22, 2023
Hugh Woozencroft is joined by Gregor Robertson, Alyson Rudd and Tom Roddy to look back at the weekend's Premier League action and discuss the biggest stories of the week. Manchester City win the Premier League for a third consecutive season, how has Pep Guardiola been able to maintain the consistency at the club whilst also managing a number of world-class players? Will their dominance continue in the years to come? (14:55)Pep Guardiola's side have now won 5 Premier League titles in the last 6 seasons, but why do fans still not consider them to be one of the greatest teams in history? We'll ask if the 115 alleged breaches of financial rules from the Premier League has tarnished their legacy in how they are viewed. (26:05)...

The ever obnoxious Alyson Rudd.
Not heard from her for a while.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 28, 2023 2:27 pm

patrickblue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:If you really want to plumb the depths of hatred and ignorance about us and football in general listen to this Times podcast (edited).
Watch on youtube.com

MAY 22, 2023

The ever obnoxious Alyson Rudd.
Not heard from her for a while.

Awful journalist.

Just despicable
nottsblue

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:29 pm

Conspiracy Theories and Innuendo will not prove the alleged Manchester City Conspiracy
There will be no Super Sub for cogent evidence

STEFAN BORSON
JUL 5, 2023

Last week, more claims emerged about Manchester City’s sponsorships in 2012 and 2013 from Etisalat, a major international telco group headquartered in Abu Dhabi with a market capitalisation of $52 billion. Undoubtedly, such matters will form a central part of the Premier League’s “115” (in reality, Manchester City are alleged to have broken 129 rules over 13 years) charges against Manchester City.

It once again highlighted that those so determined to see Manchester City face “justice” feel the need to make their case by blurring the lines between allegation, evidence, innuendo and outright conspiracy theory. It serves as a stark reminder of the seriousness of the allegations made and, therefore, the strength of evidence that will be required to prove the case against them.

This dry subject somehow captured the attention of TalkTV’s Piers Morgan’s nightly show attracting a high-level panel including leading journalists, a current MP and the former Chairman of Arsenal Football Club. Morgan’s pre-show publicity and live graphics proclaimed the revelatory nature of this 10-year-old “breaking” news story. The show itself fell flat, not helped by David Dein, an experienced football operator at Arsenal and beyond, declaring that he didn’t think the story was “much of a smoking gun” before praising the club for doing a “sensational job not just for themselves but for the Premier League.”

Shortly before broadcast, The Times released a related article explaining that it had seen a leaked UEFA report which suggested that “a mystery figure from the United Arab Emirates” had paid Manchester City a total of £30 million in 2012 and 2013. The leaked report was, in fact, the never previously released findings against Manchester City from UEFA’s Adjudicatory Chamber when it banned the club from its competitions for 2 years in 2020. The ban and UEFA’s judgment was later overturned at the Court for Arbitration for Sport (CAS) although Manchester City were fined €10m for their failure to cooperate.

In addition, as Morgan’s show aired so did a one-hour documentary on YouTube produced by Surise Limited, a British Virgin Islands entity created on 9 June 2023. The video contained no credits, although earlier this week, they were added to the description on YouTube. The documentary’s Executive Producer was Philip Armstrong-Dampier who describes himself as Managing & Creative Director at PZ Productions, a company of which Armstrong-Dampier is the sole shareholder but which did not take credit for the YouTube video. Journalist Philippe Auclair, a long-time critic of state ownership in sport, commented on Twitter that he “would very much like to know who funded this documentary.”

The obviously well-funded production included interviews with journalists from numerous international publications and the President of La Liga, Javier Tebas, another vocal critic of Manchester City, state ownership in football and CAS. Tebas stated in the documentary that: “it was clear that Manchester City were cheating with its commercial income and were deflecting from [their] losses.” Also featured, were a number of anonymous, blurred out former officials of UEFA and CAS itself.

Not revelatory at all

What was striking about the “revelations” was that they weren’t, in fact, new or disputed. In July 2020, The Guardian reported that Manchester City themselves acknowledged to UEFA that the club’s owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, had arranged the £30m Etisalat payments.

The article went on to state that, notwithstanding Manchester City’s denial of the purpose of those payments, they were key to the Adjudicatory Chamber’s finding that Manchester City had “overstated [its] true” sponsorship revenue. CAS’s own detailed 93-page judgment released in July 2020 also set out UEFA’s Adjudicatory Chamber’s position in respect of Etisalat and another Manchester City sponsor, Etihad Airways saying: “the sponsorship revenue of MCFC, as disclosed in its accounts and as declared to UEFA, considerably overstated the true revenue and income of MCFC between 2012 and 2016.”

Ultimately, CAS made no finding on Manchester City’s sponsorship with Etisalat dismissing those claims as time barred under UEFA’s 5-year limit. That is not to say the matters were not considered at CAS. Both parties had made detailed written submissions on substance of that matter and Manchester City called a Senior Vice President in the Contracts and Administration Department of Etisalat who gave witness evidence to CAS under oath. His evidence was that the allegations were "ridiculous" and that the sponsorship had "delivered excellent returns" and outperformed expectations.

The commonly (mis)quoted line is that Manchester City will not be able rely on any statute of limitation in its case against the Premier League. However, the Premier League Rules are, in fact, expressly stated to be construed in accordance with English law which, with the usual nuance of statute of limitations debates, will impute a six-year time bar. Time will tell how the Premier League’s Independent Commission establishes the time boundary of charges to adjudge. In the absence of the Independent Commission finding that Manchester City concealed the true nature of the very historic matters, it is hard to see how alleged breaches in 2012 and 2013 will not be time barred again.

Success, questions, doubts and innuendo for 15 years

The secretly funded YouTube documentary is a further illustration of what has been a constant theme of the past 15 years for Manchester City. At the start of the 2008/09 football season, City was acquired by Sheikh Mansour and is now part of the 13 club City Football Group (CFG) whose principal activity is the operation of football clubs around the world. Since inception, it has attracted investment from private equity in China and the US. Silver Lake, the leading Silicon Valley private equity fund, now owns approximately 20% of the CFG and its billionaire founder and co-CEO, Egon Durban, sits on CFG’s board.

Throughout the ownership of Sheikh Mansour, Manchester City’s commercial growth and success has been questioned by opposition clubs and a determined section of the sports media. On the pitch, City have dominated the Premier League for much of the last decade. Commercially, revenue has grown from a tiny base in 2008 – its total revenue to 31 May 2008, just prior to the takeover by Sheikh Mansour, was £82.3m with just £25.4m coming from commercial activities. Continued growth in the year just ended will see Manchester City exceed revenue of £700m on the back of its historic on-field Treble which culminated in winning the Champions League for the first time in the club’s history in June. Moving forward, this week, City have announced some of the largest sleeve and training kit sponsorships in football with OKX, the crypto exchange, and Asahi, the global beverage firm. These deals alone are estimated to be worth close to a combined £40m per annum.

Of course, Manchester City’s detractors will question the veracity of their financial accounts in terms of both revenue and expenses. Although Manchester City do not declare any sponsorships from related parties in its audited accounts, debates have raged for years as to whether sponsors such as Etihad, Etisalat, Aldar and others should properly be classified as related parties and, therefore, subject to fair market value review by the Premier League and UEFA. Following the takeover of Newcastle United by Saudi Arabia’s PIF, the Premier League hastily introduced broad rules designed to regulate a wider range of “associated” sponsors and to test any such contracts over £1m per annum for fair market value.

Allegations that Manchester City had failed to properly disclose related party sponsorship were made by UEFA in its financial fair play investigation in 2014. At that time, Manchester City’s submissions for the 2012 and 2013 financial years were questioned in relation to £120m of sponsorships from Etisalat, Etihad, Aabar and the Abu Dhabi Tourist Authority.

In short, UEFA’s expert concluded, contrary to Manchester City’s audited accounts, that Etihad, Etisalat and Aabar were all related parties of the club. UEFA further concluded that whilst Manchester City’s biggest sponsorship deal, Etihad, was not above fair market value, the agreements with Etisalat and Aabar were. Manchester City disagreed vehemently and the matter was resolved by way of a settlement agreement under which Manchester City undertook to repay €60m from its 2013-14 Champions League revenues and other non-monetary penalties. The settlement agreement expressly stated that Manchester City did not accept that they had breached FFP.

Email hacks - Esoteric accounting detail becomes allegations of serious multi-year conspiracy

In 2018, Der Spiegel’s Football Leaks comprising hacked emails changed everything. On the back of a chorus of opposition clubs demanding action, UEFA homed in on six emails that suggested issues beyond whether certain entities in Abu Dhabi were related parties or not. In short, on the back of those six emails, UEFA’s Adjudicatory Chamber found that Sheikh Mansour had entered into "arrangements" and/or a "scheme" to make payments through Etisalat and Etihad that were, in fact, "disguised equity payments" and that the true nature of these payments was “deliberately concealed and improperly reported.”

As Manchester City themselves put it in their written submissions to CAS, denying the breaches: “These very serious allegations necessarily involve a conspiracy on the part of MCFC, its shareholder, and these two sponsors. They are denied in the strongest terms, including by very senior witnesses from both Etisalat and Etihad. The allegations are irreconcilable with the factual evidence of what actually happened, as verified by respected international accounting firms.”

In the face of such serious allegations, CAS concurred with Manchester City that to find for UEFA would require a conclusion that the evidence of several high-ranking officials of large international commercial enterprises was false and that some would be subject to criminal sanctions. Furthermore, CAS said that UEFA’s theory would also mean that not only had Manchester City lied to the FA and UEFA, but also that accountancy firms such as BDO, Deloitte, Ernst & Young and AlixPartners, who had examined/audited the accounts of one or more of the entities involved, were all misled. Unsurprisingly, CAS could not make that finding off the limited email evidence before it and, therefore, found in Manchester City’s favour stating more than 10 times that it could find “no evidence” to support most of UEFA’s allegations.

Conspiracy theories persist

Much of the YouTube documentary released last week questioned UEFA’s competence, CAS’s impartiality and, surprisingly, UEFA’s appetite for the fight. Most of these criticisms are, in fact, thinly veiled conspiracy theories.

Mr Tebas and another commentator in the documentary questioned whether the Chairman of the CAS panel, Mr Rui Santos, a leading and experienced lawyer and regular CAS arbitrator, was impartial given that he “functions in the heart of companies that have petrol and gas interests.” In fact, he is merely a Partner in a law firm with some clients in the oil and gas sector. Time was also given to the false allegation that Manchester City selected Mr Santos and a second member of the CAS panel. In fact, according to the CAS judgment, both Manchester City and UEFA proposed Mr Santos as mutually agreeable and the ultimate decision was that of the CAS Court Office, presumably via the President of the Division.

Mr Tebas went further stating that “a part of UEFA didn't want the sanctions on Manchester City for economic reasons” inferring certain internal forces had let City off for commercial reasons.

Further doubts were raised about the lack of any appeal by UEFA. Although there was no realistic prospect of success of an appeal to the Swiss Tribunal (appeals against CAS are only available in very limited circumstances and rarely succeed), the inference was that the decision of UEFA not to pursue one was mystifying or, perhaps, corrupt. Aleksander Čeferin, President of UEFA was criticised for attending a Manchester City match.

Serious allegations require serious proof

In English law, the general starting point in cases of this type is that people do not usually act dishonestly. It is well established that cogent evidence is required to justify a finding of discreditable conduct, reflecting that it is considered generally unlikely that people and organisations will engage in such conduct. This inherent improbability means that, even on the civil burden of proof (balance of probabilities), the evidence needed to prove it must be all the stronger. The Independent Commission will also need to be mindful of the seriousness of the allegations made by the Premier League against the many individuals implicated as well as the seriousness of the consequences, or potential consequences, of the proof of the allegation for those individuals because of the improbability that a person would risk such consequences.

Broadly, the Independent Commission will adhere to the way CAS considered the point – it said in its judgment: “considering the particularly severe nature of the allegations in the present proceedings, the evidence supporting such allegation must be particularly cogent.”

Putting to one side the charges of non-cooperation which may well be less binary, each of the main areas of charge in the Manchester City case require a deliberate, multi-party conspiracy to be proved. A proven case would mean Manchester City’s audited accounts were materially misstated for more than a decade. No high profile English company has ever restated ten years of its accounts, indeed it is unlikely to be practical to do so.

Some of the allegations are centred around the reduction of reported expenses via the use of illicit side payments to a former player and manager, Yaya Touré and Roberto Mancini. These would necessarily have to have involved Touré, Mancini, their respective agents, Manchester City and a number of its executives and, in the case of Mancini, Al Jazira Sports and Cultural Club and its former CEO, Phil Anderton. All would have to have been intent on deliberately concealing the alleged real arrangements. It is highly unlikely that the Premier League would have any witnesses of fact (i.e. whistleblowers) able to demonstrate that some or all of these parties had carried out this alleged scheme. All the parties have publicly denied any wrong doing and it is unlikely that the Premier League will be able to compel the third parties (such as Touré, Mancini and Seluk) to disclose their documents. So what sufficiently cogent evidence will the Premier League be able to furnish?

Proving that the declared international sponsorship agreements with Etisalat and Etihad were false and that the disclosures to the many professional firms who have looked at the club’s financial and legal information over the last decade were deliberately and systematically incomplete (at best), will be even more challenging. In short, it is likely that the Premier League will only be able to prove its case by convincing the Independent Commission that certain of the senior executives who gave witness evidence under oath to CAS were lying and, therefore, committing perjury. At least some of those individuals are likely to give evidence again under oath to the Independent Commission - again the Premier League will need to show that those witnesses are not credible nor telling the whole truth. It is hard to see how there could be a middle ground.

The Premier League has made the most serious allegations imaginable against Manchester City. It has spread its allegations, either directly or indirectly, across multiple entities (commercial and governmental); a sovereign nation and members of its Royal Family; and numerous senior and experienced professionals. It has suggested that the wrongdoing has been deliberate and lasting, at least, a decade. It is putting to an Independent Commission a case that in the English Courts would take many months to hear.

So, whilst tabloid-style proclamations about how clear and obvious the case against Manchester City is may attract YouTube views, clicks and sell newspapers, proving the allegations will require far more evidence than creative, circumstantial and subjective conspiracy theories.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Simister » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:25 pm

I just wonder what the club will do if/when this all gets put to bed and the charges are dropped.
There must be many very senior figures who are furious at being smeared by such a tin-pot, self-serving bunch of bitter cowards as the EPL are these days.
Simister
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: SWP

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:09 pm

Simister wrote:I just wonder what the club will do if/when this all gets put to bed and the charges are dropped.
There must be many very senior figures who are furious at being smeared by such a tin-pot, self-serving bunch of bitter cowards as the EPL are these days.

I should hope our legal team have kept records of everything that has been said/written and who said/wrote it. Then hit them from every angle with every legal means we have at our disposal. Bankrupt the whole lot of them!
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:46 am

Joe Lewis: Tottenham Hotspur owner charged over alleged insider trading

Well well well....US Cartel clubs at each others throats other now it seems - this could see the Qataris cashing in if Spurs contemptible Black Wednesday billionaire currency trader owner is found guilty and disqualified as a PL director

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66274633
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby salford city » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:29 am

johnny crossan wrote:Joe Lewis: Tottenham Hotspur owner charged over alleged insider trading

Well well well....US Cartel clubs at each others throats other now it seems - this could see the Qataris cashing in if Spurs contemptible Black Wednesday billionaire currency trader owner is found guilty and disqualified as a PL director

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66274633

Spuds quickly trying to dampen the noise as ' not football related' haha lets see your fucking books now eh?
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum