City Launch Legal Challenge Against PL Charges & Barrister

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City Launch Legal Challenge Against PL Charges & Barrister

Postby johnny crossan » Thu May 18, 2023 2:04 pm

Manchester City launch legal fight against Premier League charges
Club are disputing legality of the investigation and the involvement of the barrister in charge of the disciplinary process in case that could take four years to be resolved

Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter
Thursday May 18 2023, 2.00pm, The Times

City are accused of not providing full details of Mancini’s pay over the four seasons he was at the club

Manchester City have lodged legal challenges against the Premier League’s 115 charges for alleged rule breaches, disputing the legality of the investigation and the involvement of the barrister who is in charge of the disciplinary process.

The Times understands that City have raised the dispute in relation to recent changes in the Premier League’s rules, arguing that they should not apply to investigations into alleged rule breaches before then.

The club are also understood to have challenged the involvement of Murray Rosen KC, the head of the Premier League’s independent judicial panel, as the person who appoints the chair of the disciplinary commission — under the rules he can appoint himself. Rosen’s profile on his chambers’ website states that he is a “member of the MCC and Arsenal FC”.

The challenges are likely to cause a further delay to the outcome of the case — legal experts believe that it could be between two and four years before it is completed. Any legal dispute between the clubs and the league should initially go to an arbitration tribunal, and beyond that it can go to the High Court and Court of Appeal.

After the charges were announced in February, City made clear that they would take every possible legal step to defend themselves and insisted they have “irrefutable evidence” to disprove the 115 alleged rule breaches over 14 seasons, from 2009-10 to the present campaign.

Although it is not certain which specific rule changes the legal challenge relates to, there have been several changes to the Premier League’s rulebook in recent seasons. In February last year, the league added new guidance to its rules stating that individuals are required to provide information and documents when asked.
Murray Rosen KC’s profile lists him a “member of the MCC and Arsenal FC”

The additional wording says: “The obligation means that those bound by the rules must not only answer questions, provide information and provide documents when requested to do so, but also that, for example (and without limitation), they must not delay at all in doing so, they must do so comprehensively, and they must do so on a co-operative and open basis, which includes volunteering relevant information and documents unknown to the board, obtaining such information and documents from other parties when able to do so, and ensuring that the appropriate individuals are made available for questioning by the board.’

At the same time, the league also introduced the potential for “interim measures” to be taken to enforce compliance.

In the 2016-17 season, a rule was amended to say: “Each club shall comply promptly and in full with any request for information made by the league.”

If the charges are proved it could lead to a range of sanctions, including a deduction of points, with the ultimate punishment being expulsion from the Premier League.

The charges include: inaccurate financial reporting over nine seasons, from 2009-10 to 2017-18; not co-operating with an investigation and handing over documents as required over five seasons, from 2018-19 to 2022-23; not providing full details of the manager Roberto Mancini’s pay over the four seasons he was at the club, from 2009-13; not providing full details of players’ remuneration over six seasons, from 2010-11 to 2015-16.

City have employed a heavyweight legal team to deal with the Premier League’s investigation and charges, including David Pannick KC. The club had previously issued legal challenges to the Premier League after an investigation was launched in December 2018 following the release of the “Football Leaks” emails obtained by the Portuguese hacker Rui Pinto, which suggested some sponsorship income from Abu Dhabi companies was in fact paid directly by the club’s owners.

Those challenges took until 2021 to reach a conclusion, and it was not until February of this year that charges were brought.

A High Court ruling in March 2021 revealed that “the PL has suggested that the Club [MCFC] has sought to delay its handing over of the relevant documents and information by making numerous procedural applications”.

City will contend the Champions League final against Inter Milan next month after their 5-1 aggregate semi-final victory over Real Madrid

It also revealed that the Premier League issued a disciplinary complaint against Manchester City in August 2019 “seeking disclosure of certain documents and information”. A commission was appointed to deal with the disciplinary complaint “but its composition and the disciplinary system were challenged by the club as not sufficiently independent or impartial”.

In October 2019, the Premier League began an arbitration process against City, seeking an order for the club to “deliver up documents and information which were being withheld”.

City brought a legal challenge then, saying that the Premier League “had no power to institute an . . . arbitration in respect of its information claim” and “that the tribunal did not have the appearance of impartiality”.

That challenge by City eventually failed, and the club and the Premier League also both failed in an attempt — that went to the Court of Appeal — to prevent the court decision from being made public.

One of the Court of Appeal judges, Lord Justice Males, said in a July 2021 ruling: “It is surprising, and a matter of legitimate public concern, that so little progress has been made after 2½ years — during which, it may be noted, the club has twice been crowned as Premier League champions.”

City also employed a heavyweight legal team in successfully contesting charges brought by Uefa for breaches of its Financial Fair Play rules. Uefa initially imposed a two-year ban from European competitions but that was overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in July 2020, which ruled that some charges were time-barred and that there was not enough evidence for others.

The only sanction the court confirmed was a €10 million (about £8.7 million) fine for not co-operating with Uefa’s investigation.

The latest legal challenge will also have to go to an arbitration panel initially, but beyond that it could go to the High Court. It has been suggested that City are prepared to go to the Supreme Court to fight the charges.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: City Launch Legal Challenge Against PL Charges & Barrist

Postby carolina-blue » Thu May 18, 2023 2:15 pm

How many times did they say heavy weight team
Making it sound all Gangsta lol FFS we are not going to employ public defenders fresh out of law school you twats
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby johnny crossan » Thu May 18, 2023 8:34 pm

took advantage of my free Times trial to post this comment on Ziegler's article

Do tell us Mr Ziegler, since you included the MCC alongside Arsenal as one of Murray Rosen's sporting affiliations, was cricket's governing body, like Arsenal FC , a prime mover in the last attempt by US owned PL clubs to have City sentenced before these same charges were heard (and dismissed) by CAS?

It should not go unnoticed that this very newspaper, with your good self as its chosen conduit, helped Der Spiegel fund the Portugese extortionist/hacker Rui Pinto. It was upon his stolen emails. as subsequently doctored by DS, that UEFA based their failed case and it is those false allegations that were then repeated by the PL under pressure from its US owned clubs. These current charges should have been withdrawn long ago together with an end to the blatantly racist, anti-arab 'sportswashing/financial doping' propaganda associated with them.

Sadly it seems these disgraceful attempts to destroy the competition by US Hedge Fund owned PL clubs will only disappear when they do. Not too long hopefully judging from the recent acti
vities of the Glazer family, FSG & Mr Boehly
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby nottsblue » Thu May 18, 2023 8:38 pm

Keep fighting JC
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby carolina-blue » Thu May 18, 2023 8:43 pm

nottsblue wrote:Keep fighting JC

Seconded mate well done
carolina-blue

Postby johnny crossan » Thu May 18, 2023 9:59 pm

Looks like I've been banned, my comments are now automatically logged for moderation, i.e. don't appear.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Sat May 20, 2023 8:57 pm

Launched just now on the main BBC Sport report of City being crowned champions

Ros Atkins on Man City Finances

(watch his face when he quotes City's version of events)

scum hired by scum feeding scum to scum (produced by Cox a tactics writer from The Athletic & read by a recently sacked presenter of Outside Source with no knowledge of sport).
Last edited by johnny crossan on Sat May 20, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby salford city » Sat May 20, 2023 9:03 pm

Just putt this in the other thread bitter cunt
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat May 20, 2023 9:06 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Launched just now on the main BBC Sport report of City being crowned champions

scum hired by scum feeding scum to scum

Thing is, I blame the club for their passive attitude to this, I am of the opinion the club do not give a fuck what the media narrative is, but do not understand the effect on the fans receiving the bullshit
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sat May 20, 2023 9:23 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:Launched just now on the main BBC Sport report of City being crowned champions

Thing is, I blame the club for their passive attitude to this, I am of the opinion the club do not give a fuck what the media narrative is, but do not understand the effect on the fans receiving the bullshit

It's simply appalling - I've just been touch with my contact at City to ask if they propose to act given the blatant inaccuracies in this latest attack, clearly choregraphed by Banned Roan with pieces from others in the haters whatsapp gang - Delaney, Harris etc. Let you know the outcome.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Sat May 20, 2023 9:57 pm

scum hired by scum feeding scum to scum (produced by Cox a tactics writer from The Athletic & read by a recently sacked presenter of Outside Source with no knowledge of sport).

I am absolutely speechless that even the BBC put this shit put there....

Fathomless

Today is the day i stop using BBC as my on line platform for news and sport. One can only think BBC now stands for Bitter Bastard Cunts
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Nick » Sat May 20, 2023 10:27 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:

It's simply appalling - I've just been touch with my contact at City to ask if they propose to act given the blatant inaccuracies in this latest attack, clearly choregraphed by Banned Roan with pieces from others in the haters whatsapp gang - Delaney, Harris etc. Let you know the outcome.

Agree city have been pussies from day1
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Original Dub » Sun May 21, 2023 12:43 am

CTID Hants wrote:

Fathomless

Today is the day i stop using BBC as my on line platform for news and sport. One can only think BBC now stands for Bitter Bastard Cunts

Holy fuck.

I know I'm all about the media bias and I'll post every bias shit I see to keep a record of it, but this is amazing.

It's war.

No way, in any land, in any situation would this be sent out by a national broadcaster as soon as their champions have been crowned.

They fucked up massively with this. Propaganda only works when you're subtle to the stupid
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 21, 2023 6:34 am

Original Dub wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:

Fathomless

Holy fuck.

I know I'm all about the media bias and I'll post every bias shit I see to keep a record of it, but this is amazing.

It's war.

No way, in any land, in any situation would this be sent out by a national broadcaster as soon as their champions have been crowned.

They fucked up massively with this. Propaganda only works when you're subtle to the stupid

Propaganda works with the adage of if you tell a lie enough times as truth, eventually people will believe it to be so

You only have to listen in general to fans across the country, see the BBC news story's HYS, listen to the likes of Talksport to see people DO believe what the media have peddled.

I do wonder sometimes whether these charges have simply been made and dreamt up by the yank owners and given to the media in the knowledge they will gleefully run the story, with the media outlets not knowing or caring about the veracity of it. But the yanks knowing the mud will stick. A last desperate throw of the dice from them to try and denigrate our success and taint it. Bit like a child's thought of if I can't have it then neither can you.

Thankfully, we haven't let the off field bullshit and shenanigans affect what we do where it counts. On the field of play.

So proud of the club
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Bear60 » Sun May 21, 2023 6:41 am

https://apple.news/ALelZi-OlRNKlGXVN3ydO_A

Take a look at this negativity from the independent how are this tossers aloud to print this it’s just pure and utter jealousy
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Bear60 » Sun May 21, 2023 6:53 am

Ffs they are so fucking jealous they just hate Man City don’t they
ROB DRAPER: Manchester City's men in suits will have their reckoning
https://mol.im/a/12106637
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby salford city » Sun May 21, 2023 7:15 am

The beeb continuing with the financial charges angle. Even their article on us being two games away from immortality has the link in it. Shocking but sadly, not unexpected from our national broadcaster on ordsall quays
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun May 21, 2023 7:37 am

Fuck ‘em, fuck ‘em all and keep them wrangled in legal shite for years to come.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Outcast » Sun May 21, 2023 7:44 am

The cunts have taken the shine out of our title win. I don't care how you sugar coat it, they managed to leave a horrid feeling, probably anger. I wish everyone that illegally conspired to take our club down nothing but slow death.
Outcast

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Sun May 21, 2023 8:00 am

Outcast wrote:The cunts have taken the shine out of our title win. I don't care how you sugar coat it, they managed to leave a horrid feeling, probably anger. I wish everyone that illegally conspired to take our club down nothing but slow death.

No they haven't mate. Not one tiny bit.

Their sole aim is to do just that but it just makes me love it all the more because they're frothing at the mouth.

I just like highlighting it because it shows them up for what they really are. They're not football journalists, they're bitter opposition fans
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum