***Leipzig v Treble Winners CL Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Leipzig v Treble Winners CL Official Match Thread***

Postby stupot » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:51 pm

[quote="Nick"]From the last page

Yes we were boring af before the subs. How can any blue deny that? Alot of times when we were shit we were more exciting ? I'm obviously not moaning but a fact is a fact - you can't say we weren't boring because we are treble winners and have pep.

Mancini got fucked over with draws and the biggest bent decisions ever (whixh pep also had until recently )[/quot
He came 3d] in a group then out of the Europa then bottom not winning 1 in 6 but yep it was down to the draw
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:05 pm

We had a group of death every year? Countless red cards and bent decisions and one year with maicon at right back and Rodwell etc instead of van rapist and hazard.

But not sure why we are talking about mancini.

We were boring last night until the subs. Facts.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby stupot » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:06 am

Nick wrote:We had a group of death every year? Countless red cards and bent decisions and one year with maicon at right back and Rodwell etc instead of van rapist and hazard.

But not sure why we are talking about mancini.

We were boring last night until the subs. Facts.

We're talking about Mancini as Indianablue had said it was more exciting under him and I was pointing out that he had a horrendous record in Europe- that's facts by the way, not being boring on Wednesday- that's a couple of posters opinions
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:53 am

From BBC -

The London club clinched an impressive record by becoming the first English side to go 17 consecutive games in European competition without defeat.

Pep Guardiola's Manchester City team, Don Revie's Leeds in the 1960s and Bill Nicholson's 1970s Tottenham side all managed 16 games unbeaten.

I thought someone said earlier in the thread we still had the record?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby stupot » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:12 am

Mase wrote:From BBC -

The London club clinched an impressive record by becoming the first English side to go 17 consecutive games in European competition without defeat.

Pep Guardiola's Manchester City team, Don Revie's Leeds in the 1960s and Bill Nicholson's 1970s Tottenham side all managed 16 games unbeaten.

We did on Wednesday joint. They overtook last night. Slightly different opponents though.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:22 am

stupot wrote:

We did on Wednesday joint. They overtook last night. Slightly different opponents though.

We'll be back on Nov 8 :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:36 am

stupot wrote:

That's like us boasting about an unbeaten run playing non league sides. The opposition WHU have beaten are mostly atrocious. Not their fault though, so fair play to them.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Indianablue » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:37 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Indianablue wrote:Takes years to get good in Europe,
still trying to work out who you'd rather watch than boring City :roll:

So a critique of our style of play isn't allowed (if it disagrees with yours? ) and I should be following someone else? Take off your tinted specs. If you got off on that first half performance great! I didn't - end of
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:41 am

Indianablue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

So a critique of our style of play isn't allowed (if it disagrees with yours? ) and I should be following someone else? Take off your tinted specs. If you got off on that first half performance great! I didn't - end of

Our performance have been well below standard for most of the season. Really missing Gundogan/KDB in the middle. If we get to Xmas and we are still top or a few points away, I will be happy with that. Especially with the new boys and youth boys bedding into the team. KDB to return and stones to get back to his best.
Wonderwall

Indianablue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Our performance have been well below standard for most of the season. Really missing Gundogan/KDB in the middle. If we get to Xmas and we are still top or a few points away, I will be happy with that. Especially with the new boys and youth boys bedding into the team. KDB to return and stones to get back to his best.
Wonderwall

Indianablue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Wonderwall

Postby Indianablue » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:45 am

Nick wrote:From the last page

Yes we were boring af before the subs. How can any blue deny that? Alot of times when we were shit we were more exciting ? I'm obviously not moaning but a fact is a fact - you can't say we weren't boring because we are treble winners and have pep.

Mancini got fucked over with draws and the biggest bent decisions ever (whixh pep also had until recently )

100%
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby stupot » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:55 am

Indianablue wrote:

Mancini got fucked over with draws and the biggest bent decisions ever (whixh pep also had until recently )

100%

It isn't 100% though as the last line is bollocks. We went out of the Europa to Sporting after coming 3rd in the group. Following year we didn't even make the Europa after coming bottom. We had a top seed both years hence Bayern 1st year then Madrid, we also had teams like Villereal, Dortmund, Ajax, Napoli.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:13 am

stupot wrote:
Indianablue wrote:

100%

It isn't 100% though as the last line is bollocks. We went out of the Europa to Sporting after coming 3rd in the group. Following year we didn't even make the Europa after coming bottom. We had a top seed both years hence Bayern 1st year then Madrid, we also had teams like Villereal, Dortmund, Ajax, Napoli.

Also had Barca a few times. I remember Hart keeping the score low at their ground.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:17 am

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Indianablue wrote:

100%

Also had Barca a few times. I remember Hart keeping the score low at their ground.

Yep, that was with Pellers.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:34 am

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Indianablue wrote:

100%

Yep, that was with Pellers.

Ah okay, cheers.

How times have changed when we struggled against the likes of Bayern, Madrid and Barca but now we’d easily be favourites. What a journey we’ve been on!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:41 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Indianablue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Paqueta was a big miss too,hope he's cleared and we can go back for him in January. As for watching City being boring, I can honestly say that of the multitude of feelings I've experienced watching City over 65+ years boredom is not one of them. ;)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:16 am

I genuinely think the “boring to watch” comment was specific about the style of play when the players have been told to conserve energy and just pass sideways and backwards. I doubt the poster that made the comment thinks we’re not entertaining.

He probably means first half against RB, second half against Forest, Wolves match etc. The times when the players seem to have been instructed to just pass pass pass.

Overall we’re the most entertaining team on the planet.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Outcast » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:39 am

Mancini is atrocious in Europe. He didn't take Inter far so let's not sugga coat it with excuses.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Indianablue » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:36 pm

Mase wrote:I genuinely think the “boring to watch” comment was specific about the style of play when the players have been told to conserve energy and just pass sideways and backwards. I doubt the poster that made the comment thinks we’re not entertaining.

He probably means first half against RB, second half against Forest, Wolves match etc. The times when the players seem to have been instructed to just pass pass pass.

Overall we’re the most entertaining team on the planet.

Overall we have been quite brilliant over the last decade. I have to pinch myself at times that the highs I have experience are real. Over the years I have seen quite a few lows, absolute crap football and experienced the pain of being the butt of football jokes especially Utd and Liverpool. I have never thought we have a god given right to success, to roll over the opposition or to be lauded as the best. Many deride our success as 'bought' 'corrupt' or 'sports washing' - some will never appreciate or recognise our achievements. I have feasted on a banquet of great football, but at times our football is pedestrian and it doesn't need to be. Against teams that park the bus and defend well in numbers our possession football often counts for nothing, we produce too few chances. Our possession could produce far more chances if we were more direct at times .Ederson hardly played a long ball against Leipzig, Wolves or Newcastle and yet last season that tactic was successful in breaking a deadlock and forcing teams to come out and play. Our goals against Leipzig Foden and Doku were created from quick direct play, Alvarez scored again from pure brilliance. Haaland isn't scoring as many because we can't find him in space in a compressed penalty area. If Grealish is moaning that he isn't playing with freedom because of Pep's instructions, then Pep needs to change things. Most posters on here would recognise that Jack at the moment isn't producing what he did at the back end of last season, is Pep happy? Given our dominance of some teams, should Grealish be given more freedom to roam? I think so.Change the play up a bit, no good having the ball if we don't convert it into a effort on goal or score. In an RU analogy I'd far sooner watch Ireland vs Springboks than Kiwis stuff somebody by 80 + points
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum