Haaland

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Haaland

Postby stupot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:47 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
stupot wrote:He's not a great football player, he's world class. He scored 8 CL goals in 6 games for Salzburg, 13 in 11 for Dortmund, 18 in 19 for us in the greatest competition in the world allegedly. A goal a game in the Bundesliga and the same here. These levels are off the chart and because he's got different strengths to Aguero doesn't alter that.

Do you know the definition of a great footballer as opposed to great goal scorer ?

Great Football player is defined as someone who has the ability to collect, control and manipulate the ball with both feet, legs, chest & head. Dribbling & running with the ball – moving the ball in different directions at varying speeds with the ball in full control........(Aguero had all that) but if you think Haaland fits that same description then this discussion is over.

i've just googled " world class football player" and it states someone putting in world class levels for a period of time hence Salzburg, Dortmund and us. By your definition Kompany wasn't a great player.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby salford city » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:56 am

stupot wrote:He's not a great football player, he's world class. He scored 8 CL goals in 6 games for Salzburg, 13 in 11 for Dortmund, 18 in 19 for us in the greatest competition in the world allegedly. A goal a game in the Bundesliga and the same here. These levels are off the chart and because he's got different strengths to Aguero doesn't alter that.

Haaland is dividing opion on here - fair enough. Last season up to us winning the league he was largely unplayable . His form dropped following this and he made little impact in either of the 2 finals
We have lost some of his chance creators since then and he's suffered an injury as well. Against this I'd counter the rest of our play hasn't altered. Fact is he doesn't seem to be able to alter his game and this is an issue for us and him. No way IMHO is he world class. IF he can add the link-up play to his armoury he would be a world-beater particularly in our set-up.
Overall, it's an odd situation, we have an out and out striker but we don't play to his strengths so he suffers but we continue to dominate
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Indianablue » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:10 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Indianablue wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Do you think he made good runs?

Do you think he created space for others?

Do you think a 30pc drop off from near perfection should result in him being dropped?

1. VERY FEW
2..ON OCCASSION
3. YES. CERTAINLY , . Bobb and Alvarez working alongside Foden is an excellent combination

No player is greater than the team. Haaland is a superb player, one of the best goal scorers we have seen. But if he's not in the mood and we cant find him ( or he can't find space) he needs to be subbed. Franny Lee in this team, or Aguero, would we be having this debate?
Something aint right with Haaland, perhaps he thinks he's done it and defenders should roll over ? Next move on the horizon? Manchester weather? Woman trouble, who knows

I agree with everything other than labeling Haaland as a great football player ( I assume you mean that ?) .....as hes not at that level yet. Hes certainly the best goal scorer, no doubt or arguments there, but he has so much more to learn on how to be a great football player.
Aguero was not only a great goal scorer but he was also a great football player and had far more in his armory , skill wise , than Haaland currently has....Haaland needs to get to that level.

He has played poorly for a while now and if some fans think that a sole contribution of 'allowing other players to come into the game ' warrants him starting every game then they need to wobble their heads.

I think we are in agreement
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby Indianablue » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:14 am

stupot wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Do you know the definition of a great footballer as opposed to great goal scorer ?

Great Football player is defined as someone who has the ability to collect, control and manipulate the ball with both feet, legs, chest & head. Dribbling & running with the ball – moving the ball in different directions at varying speeds with the ball in full control........(Aguero had all that) but if you think Haaland fits that same description then this discussion is over.

i've just googled " world class football player" and it states someone putting in world class levels for a period of time hence Salzburg, Dortmund and us. By your definition Kompany wasn't a great player.

Kompany was great for us but on a world stage, just very good. Not even in a top 10
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby PeterParker » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:46 am

stupot wrote:
sheblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:He is having a mare, BUT, lost the Prince and Gundog while Kevin was out half of the season. Three of the very best assist kings in today's football. They were replaced by players that are not even half their quality.

Half? That's very generous of you. One sixteenth is a more accurate assessment.

And yet with that assessment and the mare he is having he's still outscored EVERY other person in the country. Wait til he starts playing well and the players feed him

The conclusion is he is not getting the ball to finish things off.
And that comes down to the ones behind him.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:32 am

He should have won world footballer of the year Carl.
And he was robbed.

He's a great footballer. One of the most sought after by every club.

And his main strength his what every professional footballer says is the hardest thing in the game to do. Put the ball in the back of the net.

The fact he's become your latest target and you want him sold is bizarre
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:10 pm

Original Dub wrote:He should have won world footballer of the year Carl.
And he was robbed.

He's a great footballer. One of the most sought after by every club.

And his main strength his what every professional footballer says is the hardest thing in the game to do. Put the ball in the back of the net.

The fact he's become your latest target and you want him sold is bizarre

Opinions......many pundits have said what I'm saying regarding his overall poor performances of late and then there are some fans like you who do not agree with those comments.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Indianablue » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:46 pm

PeterParker wrote:
stupot wrote:
sheblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:He is having a mare, BUT, lost the Prince and Gundog while Kevin was out half of the season. Three of the very best assist kings in today's football. They were replaced by players that are not even half their quality.

Half? That's very generous of you. One sixteenth is a more accurate assessment.

And yet with that assessment and the mare he is having he's still outscored EVERY other person in the country. Wait til he starts playing well and the players feed him

The conclusion is he is not getting the ball to finish things off.
And that comes down to the ones behind him.

I'd also add that he is missing more chances that he did last year, some of which have been absolute sitters. Classic case a couple of weeks ago when he skyed it over the bar with his foot from 2 foot out when he should have headed it into the open goal.
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:33 pm

Over 80 goals in a season and a half for City doesn’t seem to be enough for some folk. :lol: :lol:
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Indianablue » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:52 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Over 80 goals in a season and a half for City doesn’t seem to be enough for some folk. :lol: :lol:

Started off great, fantastic goal return rate , match winner in the first season with us, couldn't ask for more but towards the end of the season the signs of drop off were showing and in the big finals he didn't do much.
His returns and assists this year are not at his best level, his performance has dipped . So was last season a peak ? or is it a blip we are seeing. If he doesn't score there are others that offer more to the team.
All most are saying is that he's not at his best and this season has fluffed a fair few chances he would normally have converted.
if he ain't on it , he's static, or as some have said a BOLLARD.
No one is beyond criticism surely
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:52 pm

That's complete revisionism mate. We all agree he hasn't been as good as last season when he broke the record for the most goals ever seen on the Premier league and finished top scorer in the champions league and deserved ballon dor winner.

But he's still the top scorer in every competition (albeit one off some lower league player in the fa cup).

He will never be heavily involved in build up play. And he wasn't last season.

As far as I know he did have more assists than oddegard last season and he's a few this season so I'm going to stick with it mainly being down to lack of quality supply and partially because he's not been quite as clinical.

Sell him? Absolutely not.

Is he a great footballer? Absolutely
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby MIAMCFC » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:28 pm

Haaland is in a just of it period. It’s inevitable. No panic here!
MIAMCFC
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:50 pm

Original Dub wrote:That's complete revisionism mate. We all agree he hasn't been as good as last season when he broke the record for the most goals ever seen on the Premier league and finished top scorer in the champions league and deserved ballon dor winner.

But he's still the top scorer in every competition (albeit one off some lower league player in the fa cup).

As far as I know he did have more assists than oddegard last season and he's a few this season so I'm going to stick with it mainly being down to lack of quality supply and partially because he's not been quite as clinical.

He’s 4 th as far as goals and assists are concerned this season .
3 players above him as far as that stat is concerned .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Original Dub wrote:That's complete revisionism mate. We all agree he hasn't been as good as last season when he broke the record for the most goals ever seen on the Premier league and finished top scorer in the champions league and deserved ballon dor winner.

He wasn't bought for assists, that's the like of KDB, Bernardo etc.....

Come on then CTFG, if we are selling him..... who have YOU scouted that will guarantee us a better return to replace him, even if you do need to include assists to help your argument.

Even if you cannot guarantee your choice to replace him will score more, I am intrigued to see who your realistic choice would be?
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:08 pm

Great goal scorer, not great player yet.

Kompany was a World class defender. You don't really call defenders great players as they rarely need touch, dribble etc. Forwards do unless your a lump up front/ target man.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby stupot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:29 pm

Nick wrote:Great goal scorer, not great player yet.

Kompany was a World class defender. You don't really call defenders great players as they rarely need touch, dribble etc. Forwards do unless your a lump up front/ target man.

But missed out on the Balon D'or to a sympathy vote- right. Not a great player
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:50 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

He wasn't bought for assists, that's the like of KDB, Bernardo etc.....

Come on then CTFG, if we are selling him..... who have YOU scouted that will guarantee us a better return to replace him, even if you do need to include assists to help your argument.

Even if you cannot guarantee your choice to replace him will score more, I am intrigued to see who your realistic choice would be?

In all seriousness , I'm not jumping up and down to sell him but I am jumping up and down wanting him benched when he under performs........which he has been guilty of for a while now...and in important games.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:51 am

If his poor season is “only” a prem golden boot, sign him up for a decade please.

We’ve been spoiled by one of the greatest ever seasons a striker has had in England last year and this year he’s only been very good, not great.

On a similar note Alvarez hasn’t been shooting the lights out to replace him or maybe a rest would be in order by now.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Outcast » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:05 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:If his poor season is “only” a prem golden boot, sign him up for a decade please.

We’ve been spoiled by one of the greatest ever seasons a striker has had in England last year and this year he’s only been very good, not great.

On a similar note Alvarez hasn’t been shooting the lights out to replace him or maybe a rest would be in order by now.

How many games has he played upfront to be shooting lights out?

One is a great goal machine and the latter is fantastic at pressing up front

Stop comparing
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby MIAMCFC » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:09 am

I’m not convinced he is fit tbh. He’s not as sharp. If he is saving it for Wed and the run in. That will do me.
MIAMCFC
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum