Haaland

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Haaland

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:53 pm

Indianablue wrote:Another big game passes him by.

he'd have been brilliant if he'd been playing against us and our high line last night.
really difficult for him to make an impact when teams defend against us in such high numbers and so deep.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:57 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Indianablue wrote:Another big game passes him by.

he'd have been brilliant if he'd been playing against us and our high line last night.
really difficult for him to make an impact when teams defend against us in such high numbers and so deep.

If he cannot control the ball then he becomes useless - the ball just bounces off him lately.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PeterParker » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:52 pm

He is having a mare, BUT, lost the Prince and Gundog while Kevin was out half of the season. Three of the very best assist kings in today's football. They were replaced by players that are not even half their quality.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby sheblue » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:32 pm

PeterParker wrote:He is having a mare, BUT, lost the Prince and Gundog while Kevin was out half of the season. Three of the very best assist kings in today's football. They were replaced by players that are not even half their quality.

Half? That's very generous of you. One sixteenth is a more accurate assessment.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:41 pm

https://www.manchestercity.news/paul-di ... ty-player/

I agree completely. For the people who say "he does nothing" kind of have me thinking they might watch football but don't fully understand it?

Either we're playing with ten men (which makes results like last night miraculous) or erling is making runs and occupying defenders which creates space for others.

Which one is it?
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby Nickyboy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:14 pm

He is an important cog in our machine. Same as Grealish who also gets unjust stick.

As long as they are doing what Pep needs them to do for the good of the team he'll keep picking them and I'll trust his judgement. If he's being so heavily marked now it means space for others, especially Foden.

Also no mention of him chasing all the way back to our half to make an important tackle last night when Madrid were on the break.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby stupot » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:27 pm

sheblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:He is having a mare, BUT, lost the Prince and Gundog while Kevin was out half of the season. Three of the very best assist kings in today's football. They were replaced by players that are not even half their quality.

Half? That's very generous of you. One sixteenth is a more accurate assessment.

And yet with that assessment and the mare he is having he's still outscored EVERY other person in the country. Wait til he starts playing well and the players feed him
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:57 pm

He'll probably finish as top scorer in all three comps.

What a mare of a season :lol:
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Indianablue » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:02 pm

[quote="Original Dub"]https://www.manchestercity.news/paul-dickov-says-he-cant-believe-what-hes-been-hearing-about-fantastic-man-city-player/

I agree completely. For the people who say "he does nothing" kind of have me thinking they might watch football but don't fully understand it?

Either we're playing with ten men (which makes results like last night miraculous) or erling is making runs and occupying defenders which creates space for others.

Which one is it
Shades of grey. A Great goal scorer and match winner when conditions are right. Last night he did little and Rudiger had him in his pocket. Didn't track back much either. I'd like to think as a City supporter for over 55 years i can recognise an ineffective display. Frankly, its embarassing for Dickov to offset his poor display by saying he's a big distraction.
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby Indianablue » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:08 pm

Nickyboy wrote:He is an important cog in our machine. Same as Grealish who also gets unjust stick.

As long as they are doing what Pep needs them to do for the good of the team he'll keep picking them and I'll trust his judgement. If he's being so heavily marked now it means space for others, especially Foden.

Also no mention of him chasing all the way back to our half to make an important tackle last night when Madrid were on the break.

I mention that in the match thread. It was about the only time he closed down a Real player
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:13 pm

55 years of watching?

That's impressive mate. Ineffective means we played with ten men. Means he didn't affect their defence.

Means he's useless.

That's your answer right there so. We can match real madrid on their own turf with 10 men.

In fact, it means all the games we won when he started and didn't score we were playing with ten men.

Wow. That is miraculous
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Indianablue » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:37 pm

Original Dub wrote:55 years of watching?

That's impressive mate. Ineffective means we played with ten men. Means he didn't affect their defence.

Means he's useless.

That's your answer right there so. We can match real madrid on their own turf with 10 men.

In fact, it means all the games we won when he started and didn't score we were playing with ten men.

Wow. That is miraculous

Ineffective means the opposite of effective. He was on the pitch, he took part, but his main job is to score goals. He wasn't involved in any of our goals last night. His stats of goals and assists per 90mins are significantly less that last season, a drop off of about 30%. Defenders are figuring him out, he sulks way too much when things aren't going his way, and he's missed chances for fun this season. Most teams sit back and defend deep against us he needs to figure out whst he can do differently
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:09 am

Do you think he made good runs?

Do you think he created space for others?

Do you think a 30pc drop off from near perfection should result in him being dropped?
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Indianablue » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:49 am

Original Dub wrote:Do you think he made good runs?

Do you think a 30pc drop off from near perfection should result in him being dropped?

1. VERY FEW
2..ON OCCASSION
3. YES. CERTAINLY , . Bobb and Alvarez working alongside Foden is an excellent combination

No player is greater than the team. Haaland is a superb player, one of the best goal scorers we have seen. But if he's not in the mood and we cant find him ( or he can't find space) he needs to be subbed. Franny Lee in this team, or Aguero, would we be having this debate?
Something aint right with Haaland, perhaps he thinks he's done it and defenders should roll over ? Next move on the horizon? Manchester weather? Woman trouble, who knows
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:22 am

Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

Postby blues2win » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:26 am

https://x.com/propsmcfc/status/17781146 ... 9Awxy5lqVQ

Rudiger permanently grabbing hold of him. Unpunished. I hope he goes down in the area if this continues on Wednesday.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:59 am

Indianablue wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Do you think he made good runs?

1. VERY FEW
2..ON OCCASSION
3. YES. CERTAINLY , . Bobb and Alvarez working alongside Foden is an excellent combination

No player is greater than the team. Haaland is a superb player, one of the best goal scorers we have seen. But if he's not in the mood and we cant find him ( or he can't find space) he needs to be subbed. Franny Lee in this team, or Aguero, would we be having this debate?
Something aint right with Haaland, perhaps he thinks he's done it and defenders should roll over ? Next move on the horizon? Manchester weather? Woman trouble, who knows

I agree with everything other than labeling Haaland as a great football player ( I assume you mean that ?) .....as hes not at that level yet. Hes certainly the best goal scorer, no doubt or arguments there, but he has so much more to learn on how to be a great football player.
Aguero was not only a great goal scorer but he was also a great football player and had far more in his armory , skill wise , than Haaland currently has....Haaland needs to get to that level.

He has played poorly for a while now and if some fans think that a sole contribution of 'allowing other players to come into the game ' warrants him starting every game then they need to wobble their heads.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:31 am

He's not a great football player, he's world class. He scored 8 CL goals in 6 games for Salzburg, 13 in 11 for Dortmund, 18 in 19 for us in the greatest competition in the world allegedly. A goal a game in the Bundesliga and the same here. These levels are off the chart and because he's got different strengths to Aguero doesn't alter that.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:39 am

stupot wrote:He's not a great football player, he's world class. He scored 8 CL goals in 6 games for Salzburg, 13 in 11 for Dortmund, 18 in 19 for us in the greatest competition in the world allegedly. A goal a game in the Bundesliga and the same here. These levels are off the chart and because he's got different strengths to Aguero doesn't alter that.

Do you know the definition of a great footballer as opposed to great goal scorer ?

Great Football player is defined as someone who has the ability to collect, control and manipulate the ball with both feet, legs, chest & head. Dribbling & running with the ball – moving the ball in different directions at varying speeds with the ball in full control........(Aguero had all that) but if you think Haaland fits that same description then this discussion is over.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:47 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
stupot wrote:He's not a great football player, he's world class. He scored 8 CL goals in 6 games for Salzburg, 13 in 11 for Dortmund, 18 in 19 for us in the greatest competition in the world allegedly. A goal a game in the Bundesliga and the same here. These levels are off the chart and because he's got different strengths to Aguero doesn't alter that.

Do you know the definition of a great footballer as opposed to great goal scorer ?

Great Football player is defined as someone who has the ability to collect, control and manipulate the ball with both feet, legs, chest & head. Dribbling & running with the ball – moving the ball in different directions at varying speeds with the ball in full control........(Aguero had all that) but if you think Haaland fits that same description then this discussion is over.

i've just googled " world class football player" and it states someone putting in world class levels for a period of time hence Salzburg, Dortmund and us. By your definition Kompany wasn't a great player.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum