***Villa v Treble Winners Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Villa v Treble Winners Official Match Thread***

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:16 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I'm still on suicide watch.

:lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Indianablue » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:50 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:hoping to have woken up and found that it was just a nightmare :-(
it was - but i was actually awake
It was a watershed game I think. Will the scales will finally drop from Pep's eyes about Rico? It's perhaps harsh to call him a vanity project simply designed to humiliate Cancelo but to trust him in central midfield ahead of Phil is just plain stupid. Only recently turned 18 he is just too weak and too small to operate there in the PL - don't care if his dad trained King Kong. The other elephants in the room are Walker - his footballing limitations are getting more exposed in every game, Akanji's alarmingly frequent lapses of concentration, Gvardiol being played consistently out of position, an obvious lack of pace on the break, a collective failure to press effectively and the absurdly incompetent acquisitions of Phillips, Nunes & Kovacic as reserve midfielders. They've turned out on a par with Rodwell & Javi Garcia - it makes you wonder what our coaching staff are being paid for as well - zero improvement after months and in Kalvin's case, over a year training with the squad.

Some good points not much to disagree with. We have some good kids out on loan that could have been given a chance as well
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby Indianablue » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:10 pm

The issue is that we don't have a midfield without Rodri and we only work with Rodri because most teams sit back and surrender the midfield relying on breaks from the back. We have occassionally been caught out by these teams but generally we sit in the top third passing ir around until we score or lose possession. However, teams that press us and come out to play foorball have given us some real challenges. Without De Bruyne and Stones our midfield is weak but norhing wrong with Foden or Bernardo or both helping them or nursing Akanji if Stones injured. Grealish getting a ban was careless, PARTICULARLY FOR DISSENT! Rodri's ban is understandable given his role. Foden thereforefore was tasked with a wide role and could not play in the centre but Bernardo could have dropped back and Alvarez pushed up. Haaland last night was redundant due to lack of service, he still occupies defenders and gives us an out if necessary. Still bemused that Ake can't displace Akanji. He can do all Akanji can but better. Kovetic i think has been good up to getting injured. West Ham beaten Spurs tonight. Shoes what you can do if you put a shift in
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby Outcast » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:41 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:After reflecting I don’t think we need to panic.

We’ve won every match in our group in the CL. We should have beaten Liverpool. We could have beaten Spurs.

Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea we scored 8 goals - but our defence let us down big time. I’m not sure if it’s because we did so much last season that towards the end of games this season we’re knackered. Another tool for the Prem to use against us - adding 10 minutes extra time on.

I am worried about our transfer business. We’ve bought some awful players this summer and got rid of decent players. That needs to be rectified in January and next summer.
If we can offload Gomez & Phillips to the smoke and Nunes to Saudi there'll be room for Paqueta, Palhinha & Barco in a few weeks ;)

Enough with shopping at Aldi, it's like replacing Aldi goods with Lidl.

Time to go Waitrose for a change, time to go big and get Florian Wirtz. We are one of if not the richest club in the world and we're fekking bargain hunting.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:52 am

Outcast wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

We’ve won every match in our group in the CL. We should have beaten Liverpool. We could have beaten Spurs.

Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea we scored 8 goals - but our defence let us down big time. I’m not sure if it’s because we did so much last season that towards the end of games this season we’re knackered. Another tool for the Prem to use against us - adding 10 minutes extra time on.

I am worried about our transfer business. We’ve bought some awful players this summer and got rid of decent players. That needs to be rectified in January and next summer.
If we can offload Gomez & Phillips to the smoke and Nunes to Saudi there'll be room for Paqueta, Palhinha & Barco in a few weeks ;)

Enough with shopping at Aldi, it's like replacing Aldi goods with Lidl.

Time to go Waitrose for a change, time to go big and get Florian Wirtz. We are one of if not the richest club in the world and we're fekking bargain hunting.

If Chelsea end up with Wirtz I’ll headbutt a wall. We should have paid whatever for him last summer. £90+ million for Rice but didn’t have the money for a decent player like Wirtz
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:58 am

Indianablue wrote:The issue is that we don't have a midfield without Rodri and we only work with Rodri because most teams sit back and surrender the midfield relying on breaks from the back. We have occassionally been caught out by these teams but generally we sit in the top third passing ir around until we score or lose possession. However, teams that press us and come out to play foorball have given us some real challenges. Without De Bruyne and Stones our midfield is weak but norhing wrong with Foden or Bernardo or both helping them or nursing Akanji if Stones injured. Grealish getting a ban was careless, PARTICULARLY FOR DISSENT! Rodri's ban is understandable given his role. Foden thereforefore was tasked with a wide role and could not play in the centre but Bernardo could have dropped back and Alvarez pushed up. Haaland last night was redundant due to lack of service, he still occupies defenders and gives us an out if necessary. Still bemused that Ake can't displace Akanji. He can do all Akanji can but better. Kovetic i think has been good up to getting injured. West Ham beaten Spurs tonight. Shoes what you can do if you put a shift in
This poor game/get injured syndrome is now afflicting Doku as well as Kova & Nunes. Expect Josko to be fighting for a place on the treatment table along with the other new signings soon - Stones & Ake are feeling threatened.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:01 am

Outcast wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Enough with shopping at Aldi, it's like replacing Aldi goods with Lidl. Time to go Waitrose for a change, time to go big and get Florian Wirtz. We are one of if not the richest club in the world and we're fekking bargain hunting.
Paqueta is definitely not bargain basement, he's the standard we need, sadly Wirtz seems like a permacrock at 20 https://www.transfermarkt.com/florian-w ... ler/598577 ;)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Outcast wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Enough with shopping at Aldi, it's like replacing Aldi goods with Lidl. Time to go Waitrose for a change, time to go big and get Florian Wirtz. We are one of if not the richest club in the world and we're fekking bargain hunting.
Paqueta is definitely not bargain basement, he's the standard we need, sadly Wirtz seems like a permacrock at 20 https://www.transfermarkt.com/florian-w ... ler/598577 ;)

So were Gundo and Haaland before they arrived here.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby MIAMCFC » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:09 pm

Should have bought Maddison. And if possible get Gundo back and I’m serious. Our MF ineeds that level of class. I also think Foden and Pep need to chat, his influence needs addressing. A player who is this good cannot be hot or cold, he’s got to step up and grab games by the bollocks, dare I say it like Rooney.
MIAMCFC
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:28 pm

MIAMCFC wrote:Should have bought Maddison. And if possible get Gundo back and I’m serious. Our MF ineeds that level of class. I also think Foden and Pep need to chat, his influence needs addressing. A player who is this good cannot be hot or cold, he’s got to step up and grab games by the bollocks, dare I say it like Rooney.

Not just on the playing field do we miss Gundo, but off it massively. I remember seeing him on a documentary where he was giving a team talk and it was brilliant. Fern - that season against Liverpool where he pulled the players together and sat them down and gave them a kick up the arse. We don’t have that type of leader unfortunately.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:56 pm

Mase wrote:
MIAMCFC wrote:Should have bought Maddison. And if possible get Gundo back and I’m serious. Our MF ineeds that level of class. I also think Foden and Pep need to chat, his influence needs addressing. A player who is this good cannot be hot or cold, he’s got to step up and grab games by the bollocks, dare I say it like Rooney.

Not just on the playing field do we miss Gundo, but off it massively. I remember seeing him on a documentary where he was giving a team talk and it was brilliant. Fern - that season against Liverpool where he pulled the players together and sat them down and gave them a kick up the arse. We don’t have that type of leader unfortunately.

I think Rodri's that type of leader to be fair. I saw him give a talk in one of the games last season when it was backs against the wall. Can't understand why he's not captain. He'll play in every big game and he's got years yet.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:05 pm

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

I think Rodri's that type of leader to be fair. I saw him give a talk in one of the games last season when it was backs against the wall. Can't understand why he's not captain. He'll play in every big game and he's got years yet.

The captains voting is the Eurovision Song Contest. Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of Spanish that will vote for him.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:25 pm

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

The captains voting is the Eurovision Song Contest. Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of Spanish that will vote for him.

Didn't have a lot of Belgians or Germans when Kev and Gundo got it.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:28 pm

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

Didn't have a lot of Belgians or Germans when Kev and Gundo got it.

True.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby MIAMCFC » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:30 pm

Mase wrote:

We have an amazing squad. They are off it. I do think Phil needs to become a give me the ball. Home or away. Pep will be on it. I would love to have watched Thursdays debrief. Let’s not kid ourselves Pep will not accept the arse kicking at Villa.A lot of will not accept Emery doing that to him. The lack of MF depth needs addressing. Anyway it’s Luton let’s go!
MIAMCFC
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:18 pm

MIAMCFC wrote:
Mase wrote:

We have an amazing squad. !

We don't though do we - examples of average players have been mentioned many many times above and in match threads , stupid buys who have added NOTHING to our squad at all.

We need to offload them and PeP needs to stop thinking he can make players into something they are not and never will be - ie Gvardiol at Left Back to name just one.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Blue Jam » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:41 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Blue Jam wrote:I've a bad feeling about tonight.
We'll almost certainly drop points .

And you're normally so positive :lol:

I try to post this before every game, partly because I'm negative, and partly I'm superstitious.
It worked for years.
Blue Jam
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Goater

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:27 pm

Blue Jam wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I try to post this before every game, partly because I'm negative, and partly I'm superstitious.
It worked for years.
it will work again :lol:
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Jam » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:51 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Blue Jam wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

It worked for years.

I have a bad feeling that it will not
Blue Jam
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Goater

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:56 pm

Blue Jam wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Blue Jam wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

It worked for years.

I have a bad feeling that it will not

excellent stuff - watch out Luton ;)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum