Is there a way back ??

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is there a way back ??

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:21 pm

Rob McKay wrote:I think we're a much bigger attacking threat when. Doku plays.

I also think it's worth being patient with each of the new signings. No one was worse than Rodri in his first season and whilst I'm not sure Nunes is a City calibre player but it's too soon to make a judgement.

Agree we have to be patient. But Rodri joined City from a completely different league as a 23 year old. Nunes, Phillips, Kova etc come from the Premier League. Those guys don’t have any excuse to not be able to pass a ball two yards and find a teammate.

The Rodri comparison can be used for Josko and Doku.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Rob McKay » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:16 pm

Mase wrote:
Rob McKay wrote:I think we're a much bigger attacking threat when. Doku plays.

I also think it's worth being patient with each of the new signings. No one was worse than Rodri in his first season and whilst I'm not sure Nunes is a City calibre player but it's too soon to make a judgement.

Agree we have to be patient. But Rodri joined City from a completely different league as a 23 year old. Nunes, Phillips, Kova etc come from the Premier League. Those guys don’t have any excuse to not be able to pass a ball two yards and find a teammate.

The Rodri comparison can be used for Josko and Doku.

Playing for Wolves and playing for Manchester City are two very different prospects; whilst I agree they should all come suited to the Premier League its clear that Pep doesn't trust any of them yet.

On Kalvin, he arrived after a season injured and was injured for 6 more months. I think Pep got it wrong and he should have played him when Rodri was suspended. He was great for Leeds; I wonder after all these injuries is he just the same player?

For the first time in a while, I'm a little worried that we're not signing a midfielder in January.
Rob McKay
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:25 pm

Genuinely don’t think Phillips was great for Leeds. He’d played a handful of decent games, but he was injured a lot during that 1 season he had in the Prem with Leeds. The season before that he was in the Championship. The Phillips one is on Pep listening to Bielsa. But once he was here I don’t think Pep can be blamed for not trusting him - every time he’s been given a chance he’s not looked bothered and way way out of his depth.
Same with Kompany recommending Gomez.
Nunes seems to be a panic buy because we didn’t get Bellingham then didn’t get the West Ham lad then couldn’t get Eze so went for Nunes. Yes, playing for Wolves and City are two different things, but it’s worth remembering Wolves have beaten us this season - and whether someone is from Wolves of Dorking Wanderers, they should be able to pass a ball or hit the target with a header from two yards.

Like you say, Pep doesn’t trust any of them yet. Phillips has been given enough chances now and will be gone in January. It’s whether Nunes and Kova can kick on.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum