Is there a way back ??

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Is there a way back ??

Postby Bear60 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:43 am

Don’t post much these days , personally I think we have dropped too many points stalwart players from last season not replaced , well if they have it will take them a long time to cotton on to the way Pep wants them to play . Hate to say it but Liverpool dippers horrible cunts what ever you want to call them are looking good so are Arsenal Gooners . Aston Villa . Them three are the ones that worry me . I just don’t think we have got enough this time round hope I am wrong but this is my gut feeling at this moment in time . if we do it can someone please remind of this post . December 18th 2023 ffs didn’t think I would live till now .
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Is there a way back ??

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:14 am

5 points isn’t an awful lot to claw back and I still dont think anyone has peaked.

Liverpool and Arsenals ability to win games late on is what worries me. We don’t have that at the moment.

Just need to stay in touch at the moment.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby nottsblue » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:35 am

london blue 2 wrote:5 points isn’t an awful lot to claw back and I still dont think anyone has peaked.

Liverpool and Arsenals ability to win games late on is what worries me. We don’t have that at the moment.

What is more worrying is we are the opposite, we are throwing points away conceding late goals
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:36 am

nottsblue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:5 points isn’t an awful lot to claw back and I still dont think anyone has peaked.

What is more worrying is we are the opposite, we are throwing points away conceding late goals

Yes didn’t want to mention that.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby patrickblue » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:08 pm

I'd agree that five points is no big deal at this stage of the season, and we're used to having to wait for the later parts of the season to get our act together. We've also got KDB to come back as much as people like to slag Kovacic and Nunes, they have been thrown in at the deep end with the KDB injury and departure of Gundo.
Hopefully we'll end up with a settled team with Jack moving more central, where he looks ten times better, and KDB directing the midfield.
Defence does look worrying at the moment, ability wise they're all good enough, but for some reason, Ruben and Akanji in particular seem a bit error prone.
I'm not too worried about the present blip, and pretty confident we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:47 pm

patrickblue wrote:I'd agree that five points is no big deal at this stage of the season, and we're used to having to wait for the later parts of the season to get our act together. We've also got KDB to come back as much as people like to slag Kovacic and Nunes, they have been thrown in at the deep end with the KDB injury and departure of Gundo.
Hopefully we'll end up with a settled team with Jack moving more central, where he looks ten times better, and KDB directing the midfield.
Defence does look worrying at the moment, ability wise they're all good enough, but for some reason, Ruben and Akanji in particular seem a bit error prone.
I'm not too worried about the present blip, and pretty confident we'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

I would like to agree with this, however as the OP states we have lost some quality/experience and seemingly not replaced them.
Because of this I am not as confident we will prevail like we have in the past, the scoring of goals does not appear to be the issue, it is the defending, in particular towards the end of games. This indicates lack of effective game management from the coaching team. Anyway let’s hope things improve and we can return to something like a consistent defence and midfield.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:49 pm

patrickblue wrote:I'd agree that five points is no big deal at this stage of the season, and we're used to having to wait for the later parts of the season to get our act together. We've also got KDB to come back as much as people like to slag Kovacic and Nunes, they have been thrown in at the deep end with the KDB injury and departure of Gundo.

Kovacic comes from years of being in the Prem and has won the CL. Hardly been thrown in at the deep end for his level. Nunes has come on as sub and been played against crap teams and has looked average every time. Hardly thrown in at the deep end.

The only players that have been thrown in are Doku - done great for a 21 year old with zero Prem experience. And Josko being played every game out of position.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby patrickblue » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:56 pm

Going into Pep's system is different, nearly all new players have said it, and most on here have said it. It's deep end because they've no on pitch mentors.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:45 pm

patrickblue wrote:Going into Pep's system is different, nearly all new players have said it, and most on here have said it. It's deep end because they've no on pitch mentors.

This myth again. Still being reeled out for players who join and play crap.
Last edited by Mase on Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carolina-blue » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:48 pm

TBH the way we are shipping in Goals I don’t see it
Top 4 and ChUmps league final would be a good season at this point , Would love to defend FA cup but can’t see it
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Plain Speaking » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:10 am

I assume we will ship out Philips in the January window. If we can strengthen with a decent replacement and Haaland, Kev and Doku come back and stay fit we could have a chance? The small squad and injuries could undo us, we desperately miss Gundogan and without Rodri we're not the same side. A draw between Liverpool and Arsenal this weekend would be good.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:47 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:I assume we will ship out Philips in the January window. If we can strengthen with a decent replacement and Haaland, Kev and Doku come back and stay fit we could have a chance? The small squad and injuries could undo us, we desperately miss Gundogan and without Rodri we're not the same side. A draw between Liverpool and Arsenal this weekend would be good.

Very hard to sign good players in January. In my opinion we will never get another Rodri, or anyone who would provide suitable cover. It would be just impossible to get a player of similar caliber willing to sit on the bench and fight for his place.
So when Phillips goes i cant see any top quality replacements coming in.
We really do need to look at the left back berth. its only 6 year's now.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby patrickblue » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:02 pm

sheblue wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:I assume we will ship out Philips in the January window. If we can strengthen with a decent replacement and Haaland, Kev and Doku come back and stay fit we could have a chance? The small squad and injuries could undo us, we desperately miss Gundogan and without Rodri we're not the same side. A draw between Liverpool and Arsenal this weekend would be good.

Very hard to sign good players in January. In my opinion we will never get another Rodri, or anyone who would provide suitable cover. It would be just impossible to get a player of similar caliber willing to sit on the bench and fight for his place.
So when Phillips goes i cant see any top quality replacements coming in.
We really do need to look at the left back berth. its only 6 year's now.

We all said that about Fern.
And Rodri got quite a slagging in his first season or two.
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Rob McKay » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:14 pm

Its easy to forget that we weren't looking amazing going into the World Cup last year and it wasn't until we came into the New Year that we started to look like ourselves.

There's still time to pick it up and I often think that when you play 60+ games a season it's easy for the players to lose their way or lose their motivation early on. The players we have want to play in the big games and to do that they have to play well when it matters. I think we'll be fine as long as we keep it close during the run in. We felt a lot further behind last year.

However, I think if there's ever a year in which Pep and the Barca men have got it wrong then this is the one that we can forgive them for.
Rob McKay
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:51 am

Rob McKay wrote:Its easy to forget that we weren't looking amazing going into the World Cup last year and it wasn't until we came into the New Year that we started to look like ourselves.

There's still time to pick it up and I often think that when you play 60+ games a season it's easy for the players to lose their way or lose their motivation early on. The players we have want to play in the big games and to do that they have to play well when it matters. I think we'll be fine as long as we keep it close during the run in. We felt a lot further behind last year.

However, I think if there's ever a year in which Pep and the Barca men have got it wrong then this is the one that we can forgive them for.

I cannot forgive them for buying utter dross and it wasn't one player they fucked up on, they fucked up on all 3 IMO.
Last year we had Gundo who, arguably, was a main reason we won what we won so we just have to face up to the fact that we do not have adequate replacements to win the premiership this year.
The CL can be won as its rarely ever won by the best team anyway , its a cup comp and anything can happen.

I'm not confident at all.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:30 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Rob McKay wrote:Its easy to forget that we weren't looking amazing going into the World Cup last year and it wasn't until we came into the New Year that we started to look like ourselves.

I cannot forgive them for buying utter dross and it wasn't one player they fucked up on, they fucked up on all 3 IMO.
Last year we had Gundo who, arguably, was a main reason we won what we won so we just have to face up to the fact that we do not have adequate replacements to win the premiership this year.
The CL can be won as its rarely ever won by the best team anyway , its a cup comp and anything can happen.

I'm not confident at all.

Doku is dross too?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:39 pm

Doku has less goals than Grealish in more starts, so judging by how bad everyone thinks Grealish is, Doku must be League 2 standard!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:32 pm

Mase wrote:Doku has less goals than Grealish in more starts, so judging by how bad everyone thinks Grealish is, Doku must be League 2 standard!
everyone?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby stupot » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:48 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:Doku has less goals than Grealish in more starts, so judging by how bad everyone thinks Grealish is, Doku must be League 2 standard!
everyone?

Doku has a load more assists than Grealish.
Personally i like them both.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Rob McKay » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:37 pm

I think we're a much bigger attacking threat when. Doku plays.

I also think it's worth being patient with each of the new signings. No one was worse than Rodri in his first season and whilst I'm not sure Nunes is a City calibre player but it's too soon to make a judgement.
Rob McKay
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum