Etihad Visit Advice Needed

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Etihad Visit Advice Needed

Postby littlebig » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm coming over from Ireland for the Villa game with my 9 year old lad and am looking for advice please.

I'm looking at airbnb places in Whitworth Locke, Ancoats and Beswick. Are any of these areas to be avoided? And does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere reasonable to stay? It will be for the night before the game, 3rd April.

Also, I'm looking to soak up the whole City experience (I rarely get over) and want to see the team bus arriving before the game hopefully. Can anyone advise how to arrange this, do you just rock up to City ground at a certain time? Also, are there any other City activities we can do on the Wednesday of the game.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Re: Etihad Visit Advice Needed

Postby Dubciteh » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:08 pm

If u want somewhere close to ground thats a handy walk try travelodge sportcity. Its a bit of a dump though.

Your best bet is a premier inn near picadilly. Taxi down to match less than a tenner and prob 25 min walk back(or get an unofficial taxi outside but they coulld charge u anything up to 30 and ul be sat in traffic for most of it).

Enjoy the game u want any more advice post in here, i an from Ireland and also have a 9 year old who has done games.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby patrickblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:32 pm

littlebig wrote:Hi all,

I'm coming over from Ireland for the Villa game with my 9 year old lad and am looking for advice please.

I'm looking at airbnb places in Whitworth Locke, Ancoats and Beswick. Are any of these areas to be avoided? And does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere reasonable to stay? It will be for the night before the game, 3rd April.

Also, I'm looking to soak up the whole City experience (I rarely get over) and want to see the team bus arriving before the game hopefully. Can anyone advise how to arrange this, do you just rock up to City ground at a certain time? Also, are there any other City activities we can do on the Wednesday of the game.

As DubCity says, sportscity travelodge is cheap and cheerful, and just a short walk to the stadium. Plenty of hotels in the Piccadilly and city centre areas, about a half hour walk.
As for the team bus, just get yourself to the Colin Bell(west) stand main entrance about an hour before KO (not entirely sure of the timing, best to check).
Enjoy
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:34 pm

Can’t offer any advice but hope you enjoy your trip over mate!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby zuricity » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:46 pm

littlebig wrote:Hi all,

I don't know, perhaps i am going out in a limb here. When i first was asked to play for my primary school as an 8 year old at Hough end, I told me mum - who then told my dad to get me a pair of boots. He came back with some second hand crap and my mum gave him earache. Point being, she didn't want to spoil my "debut". He brought a pair of gola the next day and they were great.

I strongly recommend, if possible a hotel and not Air BnB etc, Your son will love all the experiences. Money may be tight , but if you are going to the expense, like all of us who must fly-in - back home to watch a game, then a little bit more for a hotel.

Now an important point, if your flight back to Dublin is during the day, remember Manc Airport is a disaster for Security checks,

If it is early in the day. Then just get a hotel at the airport and take the airport train into town and back again. At least at the airport you can get up early and walk to the various terminals.

I guess you won't be going on the town with your son so it might even be a relaxing alternative. Airport hotel check in , leave your stuff, spend all day in the City - keep him away from Deansgate and all the Tussies.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby ayrshireblue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:34 pm

Team bus arrives an hour and a half before kick off. Main entrance at the Colin Bell Stand.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:08 pm

Of those areas definitely ancoats. Enjoy the marina / bars nearby and walk to the ground 20 mins
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby littlebig » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:11 am

Thanks a million everyone.

I've booked the Clayton to avoid travel hassle for the morning after.

Am going to arrive to the ground about 2 hours before k/o and will hopefully see the team arrive.

Now just hoping the tickets come thru. I'm a member of Dundalk local supporters branch.

My boy is so excited his head may explode so I better go check on him :)
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby PaulieIrish » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:15 am

Highly recommend the stadium tour too if you can fit it in. When I took my young fella there first we did it. Wasn't many pots to look at back then, but we still have photos of him sitting in the managers chair etc. Well worth it if you can do it.
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby zuricity » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:58 am

Oh yeah, if you are really early ,a five min , walk over to the academy, you might get to see some of the youngsters coming through.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby city72 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:18 pm

PaulieIrish wrote:Highly recommend the stadium tour too if you can fit it in. When I took my young fella there first we did it. Wasn't many pots to look at back then, but we still have photos of him sitting in the managers chair etc. Well worth it if you can do it.

I took my kids back in the day the cupboard was empty and my kids favourite player was joey Barton ffs grim
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:23 pm

city72 wrote:
PaulieIrish wrote:Highly recommend the stadium tour too if you can fit it in. When I took my young fella there first we did it. Wasn't many pots to look at back then, but we still have photos of him sitting in the managers chair etc. Well worth it if you can do it.

I took my kids back in the day the cupboard was empty and my kids favourite player was joey Barton ffs grim

I went back then and I’m taking our 6 year old in two weeks so it’ll be good to see how much it’s changed.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby blues2win » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:26 pm

Agree about the stadium tour. It’s not that expensive. You can get a virtual photo with Pep among other things.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:47 pm

While we're at it, what's the parking situation at city? I'm only in Leeds but my 4 and 3 year old have suddenly said they want to go watch city. I nearly bought us tickets for the Burnley match (£200 for me, wife and 2 kids barely out of nappies, that's fucking minging, do better City) but knocked it on the head as I didn't have a clue what to do about the car.

If we end up at a night match, I need to make sure we're all back in the car asap after full time as they'll be knackered. Is there official stadium parking, and how do I go about it?
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:54 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:While we're at it, what's the parking situation at city? I'm only in Leeds but my 4 and 3 year old have suddenly said they want to go watch city. I nearly bought us tickets for the Burnley match (£200 for me, wife and 2 kids barely out of nappies, that's fucking minging, do better City) but knocked it on the head as I didn't have a clue what to do about the car.

If we end up at a night match, I need to make sure we're all back in the car asap after full time as they'll be knackered. Is there official stadium parking, and how do I go about it?

Under 5s are free mate. My daughter is nearly 6 and I walked in with her for free the other week.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:06 pm

Mase wrote:
KinkyKinkladze wrote:While we're at it, what's the parking situation at city? I'm only in Leeds but my 4 and 3 year old have suddenly said they want to go watch city. I nearly bought us tickets for the Burnley match (£200 for me, wife and 2 kids barely out of nappies, that's fucking minging, do better City) but knocked it on the head as I didn't have a clue what to do about the car.

Under 5s are free mate. My daughter is nearly 6 and I walked in with her for free the other week.

Serious? I was on the ticket portal, had it all lined up, and they wanted £200 from me. I've got the kids registered as citizens so the club know their age. The fuck did I do wrong?
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:19 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:
Mase wrote:

Serious? I was on the ticket portal, had it all lined up, and they wanted £200 from me. I've got the kids registered as citizens so the club know their age. The fuck did I do wrong?

You don’t even need a ticket for them mate. They just sit on your knee for free. Obviously if you want a seat for them then it’s the cost of the seat, but to take them in and have them on your knee it’s free. Just buy an adult ticket and walk in with the kid
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:20 pm

Mind, I don't understand how their shit website works. Just looking at 2 tickets, me and my lad, Copenhagen at home. I edit the owner, so it's his name, and his price is 27.50 as he's under 18. No sign of anything about under 5s. Also get a warning saying he is assigned too many tickets.

I fucking long for the days of pay on the gate. So many fucking hoops to jump through just to watch some football.

Edit: ah, didn't realise that about just walking in with them. Still, I want to buy him a seat, what's this warning about? I can buy two tickets in my name it seems, but it won't let me buy one for me and one for him.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ayrshireblue » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:09 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:Mind, I don't understand how their shit website works. Just looking at 2 tickets, me and my lad, Copenhagen at home. I edit the owner, so it's his name, and his price is 27.50 as he's under 18. No sign of anything about under 5s. Also get a warning saying he is assigned too many tickets.

I fucking long for the days of pay on the gate. So many fucking hoops to jump through just to watch some football.

Edit: ah, didn't realise that about just walking in with them. Still, I want to buy him a seat, what's this warning about? I can buy two tickets in my name it seems, but it won't let me buy one for me and one for him.

Possible that you've got enough points for 2 tickets or a Cityzens membership that allows 2 tickets but he hasn't. I seem to remember I had this with my daughter, I could buy 2 tickets but couldn't buy one in each of our names.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm

ayrshireblue wrote:
KinkyKinkladze wrote:Mind, I don't understand how their shit website works. Just looking at 2 tickets, me and my lad, Copenhagen at home. I edit the owner, so it's his name, and his price is 27.50 as he's under 18. No sign of anything about under 5s. Also get a warning saying he is assigned too many tickets.

Possible that you've got enough points for 2 tickets or a Cityzens membership that allows 2 tickets but he hasn't. I seem to remember I had this with my daughter, I could buy 2 tickets but couldn't buy one in each of our names.

How did you get around it? I'm at the point of just giving up here.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum