***Treble Winners v Everton Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Treble Winners v Everton Official Match Thread***

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:02 am

Outcast wrote:I agree the sentiment of resting your best players to keep them fresh, it's a marathon after all. However, why play the likes of Foden, Josko, Alverez out of their best positions then expect them to deliver? Its like playing KDB at right back and Haaland at centre back then expect them to deliver!

Spot on.
There’s no coincidence that at the end of every season when Pep plays his best team for the final 10 games we smash everyone and go on a run. We could be out of sight if he does it earlier on and then rest players.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:23 am

Outcast wrote:I agree the sentiment of resting your best players to keep them fresh, it's a marathon after all. However, why play the likes of Foden, Josko, Alverez out of their best positions then expect them to deliver? Its like playing KDB at right back and Haaland at centre back then expect them to deliver!
It still haunts me we've spent a fortune on Nunes and Phillips, their combined fee could have landed Wirtz. The sort player we lacked yesterday when KDB was rested.

He's obsession to play Akanji is just amusing, brings nothing to the fold, him and Nunes must be at the same camp dance class. Little David Silva had bigger balls than these two put together.

Two below average players keeping homegrown talent like Lewis and Bob out, it's a little disheartening.

I still trust Pep 100% to lead us, just some of his decisions are strange

Wirtz was an 18 yr old out for a year with an ACL tear who had just signed a new contract to 2026 when we bought Phillips and last summer said he would stay with Leverkusen until after the Euros. Nunes was a late replacement for Paqueta and although not looking too good atm does have some proven positives. Lewis & Bobb are very unlikely to stay with us, just not at the right level for City now.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby stupot » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:23 am

Akanji was in that team at the end of last season though.
He can't play in the inverted full back position which is why he struggled yesterday. Stones was doing that last season and was great there.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:45 am

johnny crossan wrote:
city72 wrote:Just watched the highlights the kick on ederson deliberate the play had finished. Nunes pure bottle job 1 on 1 with short arms

No surprise - whitewashed on MOTD despite showing the second face kick twice. "Ake got in the way - ball still there to be won" apparently. Perfectly entitled to jump in two footed and then kick Eddy in the face

This is the sort of thing that should be highlighted publicly in the next press conference. So the whole world can actually see what happened as I’ve not seen or read about a single mention of it in the mainstream media. It’s as if it never happened

And this is after having had a meeting with the chief of the FA and Pigmol today to determine what action they are going to take. This was nothing short of an assault which if it was done outside of a football pitch would result in police investigation and possible prosecution
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Outcast » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:49 am

johnny crossan wrote:
It still haunts me we've spent a fortune on Nunes and Phillips, their combined fee could have landed Wirtz. The sort player we lacked yesterday when KDB was rested.

He's obsession to play Akanji is just amusing, brings nothing to the fold, him and Nunes must be at the same camp dance class. Little David Silva had bigger balls than these two put together.

Two below average players keeping homegrown talent like Lewis and Bob out, it's a little disheartening.

Wirtz was an 18 yr old out for a year with an ACL tear who had just signed a new contract to 2026 when we bought Phillips and last summer said he would stay with Leverkusen until after the Euros. Nunes was a late replacement for Paqueta and although not looking too good atm does have some proven positives. Lewis & Bobb are very unlikely to stay with us, just not at the right level for City now.

Lewis and Bob are better players than Akanji and Nunes, they're young and are improving.

So what you are saying, if we can't sign class, we'll settle for seconds? What was our moto again, if we can't sign our number one targets, we walk away? I think Nunes was a last minute ditch signing.

As for Wirtz, money talks, make an offer they can't refuse or wait when he becomes available rather than buying gap fillers. We'll have to think about replacing KDB at some point, I hope we ain't going for Paqueta.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Outcast » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am

stupot wrote:Akanji was in that team at the end of last season though.
He can't play in the inverted full back position which is why he struggled yesterday. Stones was doing that last season and was great there.

Nearly cost us the champions league final. Ederson saved his chops
Outcast

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:00 pm

Outcast wrote:

100% correct
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby stupot » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:01 pm

That wasn't the point though- the point was we played our best team the last 10 games and won the lot and he was part of that team
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:03 pm

stupot wrote:That wasn't the point though- the point was we played our best team the last 10 games and won the lot and he was part of that team

No one can trust you since you said Wolves fans considered Nunes class because they booed him when we played them this season, even though it was because he went on strike to force a move to us.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:36 pm

"inverted Fullback" ? do you mean he can't play as a midfielder ?

as others have just said, it is a marathon. However at some stage or other these players need to prove they can do it at the highest level. Yesterday was a good opportunity before we get to the season's final stages. Perhaps there were too many changes for one game.

We saw Doku yesterday , time after time getting to the line with no end product, the shots were blocked , any crosses were wrong,
You might as well have Jack there , at least he doesn't give the ball away.
Nunez hiding , rather than actively seeking the ball in midfield.

We played three at the back, who saw more of the ball in the first half that a swamped midfield.

Second half, Ake wins a tackle, on to tin tin , foreward to Erling , boom goal.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby stupot » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:40 pm

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:That wasn't the point though- the point was we played our best team the last 10 games and won the lot and he was part of that team

No one can trust you since you said Wolves fans considered Nunes class because they booed him when we played them this season, even though it was because he went on strike to force a move to us.

They do consider him class, doubt we'd have booed Phillips if he went on strike to force a move.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Outcast » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:51 pm

I'm I alone believes lewis and Bob are better players than Akanji and Nunes or at least got bags of potential to be top class?

I just can't imagine Nunes is capable of what Bob did against geordies in the final minutes

Discuss
Outcast

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:54 pm

Outcast wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Lewis and Bob are better players than Akanji and Nunes, they're young and are improving.

So what you are saying, if we can't sign class, we'll settle for seconds? What was our moto again, if we can't sign our number one targets, we walk away? I think Nunes was a last minute ditch signing.

As for Wirtz, money talks, make an offer they can't refuse or wait when he becomes available rather than buying gap fillers. We'll have to think about replacing KDB at some point, I hope we ain't going for Paqueta.
Akanji has been a key player for us since he joined, a fantastic buy. Lewis & Bobb are not comparable to him, hope they get the opportunity to prove me wrong. (Paqueta looks like a done deal btw- that should cheer you up ;) )
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby patrickblue » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:37 pm

Mase wrote:

I was talking to a Wolves fan on the train in yesterday. His opinion of Nunes when he played for them is much the same as ours when he plays for us, mostly anonymous and disinterested, with occasional flashes of brilliance. He reckons we were had big time with what we paid for him.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Outcast » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:51 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Outcast wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Akanji has been a key player for us since he joined, a fantastic buy. Lewis & Bobb are not comparable to him, hope they get the opportunity to prove me wrong. (Paqueta looks like a done deal btw- that should cheer you up ;) )

Who do you think Akanji should displace in the starting 11?
Outcast

Postby s1ty m » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:38 pm

Outcast wrote:

Akanji nearly cost us the Champions League Final. No doubt.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:38 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Mase wrote:

I was talking to a Wolves fan on the train in yesterday. His opinion of Nunes when he played for them is much the same as ours when he plays for us, mostly anonymous and disinterested, with occasional flashes of brilliance. He reckons we were had big time with what we paid for him.

Similar to what I was reading on one of their forums at the time. Most were happy to see him go and didn’t like the way he forced it. Time will tell I guess, the positive for Nunes compared with Phillips is at least we’ve see a glimmer of a decent player with Nunes.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby s1ty m » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:40 pm

zuricity wrote:

as others have just said, it is a marathon. However at some stage or other these players need to prove they can do it at the highest level. Yesterday was a good opportunity before we get to the season's final stages. Perhaps there were too many changes for one game.

We saw Doku yesterday , time after time getting to the line with no end product, the shots were blocked , any crosses were wrong,

We played three at the back, who saw more of the ball in the first half that a swamped midfield.

Your point about Nunes hiding is spot on. Furthermore, he stands still admiring his 5-yard passes, rarely moves into space. When he does, he hides.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:46 pm

s1ty m wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Your point about Nunes hiding is spot on. Furthermore, he stands still admiring his 5-yard passes, rarely moves into space. When he does, he hides.

There is zero chance of him even going for a 50/50 ball..hes a fuckign pussy of a player,absolute coward.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PeterParker » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:08 pm

ayrshireblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:I swear what does my head in is that thing Dyche does.
We usually attack on the second half on the left, but every time that cunt's teams win the coin toss, he is telling his players to chose the opposite. Seen it in Burnley every single time he won the toss.
Absolute neanderthal tactic.

Totally understandable if it upsets the normal game process of your opponents. If you are less skilled than your opponent then you take advantage anywhere you can find it. I'd do the exact same if I was an opposing team at the Etihad.

I think there is an gentlemen agreemenet between clubs according to that. Seen it in every big club, the rags, like us, attack on the left in the first half.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum