Bernstein really was our saviour

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Bernstein really was our saviour

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:52 am

I always liked this man and now I know what he really did for our club.

'I was Man City chairman who rejected Wimbledon merger and Rangers feeder club offer'

David Bernstein was the Manchester City chairman who turned down an offer to merge the club with Wimbledon and also rejected a proposal from Rangers
David Bernstein, the legendary chairman who saved Manchester City, recalls the club's darkest hour when it nearly died.

He was the man who ultimately rejected a proposal to merge the club with Wimbledon prior to the south London club being dissolved in 2004. And when Scottish giants Rangers wanted to make City their feeder club, Bernstein's response was just as firm.
It's safe to say that Bernstein is the man who rescued City during their most challenging times in more ways than one. He also played a crucial role in the deal that moved the club to the City of Manchester Stadium and made the Blues an attractive investment for Sheikh Mansour.

Bernstein celebrated his 80th birthday last May, the day before the team he has supported all his life were awarded their seventh Premier League title. 68 years earlier, on the day of his bar mitzvah, he had been glued to a black and white TV as City won the FA Cup.

Bernstein's contribution to the Manchester City story is just as significant as the Abu Dhabi prince who transformed the second-best team in town into European champions. Perhaps even more so. When he took over as chairman from Francis Lee in March 1998, the Blues were just a couple of months away from being relegated to the third tier of English football for the first time in their history.

But the only way wasn't up. City trailed Gillingham 2-0 going into injury time of the Second Division play-off final when a miracle happened. Kevin Horlock and Paul Dickov became legends for Manchester City when they scored goals that changed the club's fate. Bernstein reckons those goals were even more crucial than Aguero's epic 2012 title-winner.

City won that day on penalties, and it led to big things like moving to a new stadium. This move was a big deal when Sheikh Mansour decided to buy the club in 2008. Bernstein told the Mirror: "I'm not sure too many of City's younger fans understand the significance of Paul Dickov's equaliser - or, for that matter, Kevin Horlock's goal.

"Manchester City wouldn't have died if we hadn't been promoted, but it would have been a long way back because I would have had to oversee huge spending cuts. The move to the new stadium probably wouldn't have happened - and that was a key element in Sheikh Mansour's decision to buy the club in 2008. It was a tough time to be a City fan. The club was extremely vulnerable."

He also spilled the beans on some wild ideas that were floated back then, like merging with Wimbledon or becoming a feeder club for Rangers!
Bernstein said no way to those opportunities. He knew City fans would have been furious. He gets it because he's a City fan himself. And Bernstein thinks maybe it was good he was in charge, as someone else might not have got how special City are as a club.

He continued: "There was an offer to take a short-cut back to the Premier League by merging with Wimbledon. A month after we beat Gillingham came a letter from Rangers chairman David Murray that would have turned us into their feeder club.

"Both proposals got short shrift, of course. City fans would have torn Maine Road down! I understood that, because I was one of them. Looking back, perhaps it was fortunate I was chairman because someone who didn't understand the club may have been tempted."

Bernstein's tenure as chairman came to an end in 2003, just before City moved from Maine Road. He stepped down after key shareholders John Wardle and David Makin succumbed to manager Kevin Keegan's demand to sign Robbie Fowler. Bernstein was worried that City were stretching their finances too thin. His reputation in football was so high that he later became the chairman of the FA

Bernstein has penned a book about his time at City. 'We Were Really There' is a gripping read for both City supporters and those who argue the club had no history before 2008. He stated: "Some people don't like what City have become but, in my opinion, football is big business. What I don't understand is why investors from the Middle East get a level of criticism that owners from the United States and Russia seem immune to.

"City's owners have not just built a football club. They have helped to redevelop a large area of East Manchester. Of course, City have 115 charges hanging over them - and if they are found guilty their achievements will be tarnished.

"But I have nothing but admiration for Pep Guardiola. If City win a fourth successive Premier League title and retain the Champions League this season, you would have to say he has built the best club team English football has ever seen."
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Re: Bernstein really was our saviour

Postby Mase » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:00 pm

I’d say Wardle and Makin saved the club more than Bernstein. They put their own money into the club at a point where we’d have gone under if it wasn’t for that money. The fact they kept us from going into administration was a miracle.

I liked Bernstein though. Made the deal for the COMS - although I heard Franny had agreed a straight swap for Maine Road and it was Bernstein that agreed to the 100 year lease?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby john@staustell » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:22 pm

That 100 year lease might be regretted one day. Not by me though!

Should buy it out now, whilst we have rich owners
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:31 pm

john@staustell wrote:That 100 year lease might be regretted one day. Not by me though!

Should buy it out now, whilst we have rich owners

We’ve tried to buy it as soon as we got taken over and been turned down. We have however negotiated a flat fee for the lease, rather than a percentage of gates now.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ruralblue » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:41 pm

Watched a interview with Cheesy recently. He really is a saviour of the club after the Swales years.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Bluemoon4610 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:12 pm

Bernstein has a book coming out in a week or two. "We we're really there" it's called. Should be a good read - I've pre-ordered it on Amazon.
Bluemoon4610
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby patrickblue » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:53 am

Bernstein was a proper grown up professional running the club after years of amateurs.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:00 am

patrickblue wrote:Bernstein was a proper grown up professional running the club after years of amateurs.

Absolutely the perfect description for what happened. Bernstein was a proper leader, and whilst there were a lot of bumps in the road due to the legacy crap he inherited, he along with the JD fellers, deserve all credit for where we are today.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby sheblue » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:15 pm

Saw a good podcast with him the other day. It seems he's keeping well.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:31 pm

Is he a Spurs fan?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby patrickblue » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:48 pm

Lifelong Blue, apparently missed his own bar mitzvah to watch the 56 cup final.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Kippax Sean » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:57 am

Bernstein deserves all our gratitude and a bronze statue beside Horlock and Dickov. That Gillingham comeback was arguably more important than the Aguero moment and Villa comeback. Saviours in some of our darkest days.
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Return to The Maine Football forum