***Madrid v Treble Winners Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Madrid v Treble Winners Official Match Thread***

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:51 pm

stupot wrote:
Nick wrote:Fingering rudriger didn't help us get a point it was like playing with ten. Alvarez up front and pressing would have been miles more helpful.

Rudriger has haalands card - and he will play next week.

Alvarez came on, gave it away and got Bernardo booked. Really helpful

we need to cash in on him.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:27 pm

Alvarez does more in 5 minutes than haaland does in 90.

Absolutely mental if any blues seriously give him stick.

World cup winner. Won it all. Still scores more than enough goals playing fucking centre midfield to accommodate lurch. Get him playing up front and see him score even more.

Imagine haaland getting half his goals from centre midfield lololol
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:51 pm

Nick wrote:Fingering rudriger didn't help us get a point it was like playing with ten. Alvarez up front and pressing would have been miles more helpful.

The match is over now and any rants during the match can be forgotten as we all know we all overreact on team news and match threads...me more than most..... now its post match and I will still stick with my scathing comments on Haaland - he was fuckign useless and couldn't control most balls given to him.

Anyone that really thinks Haaland played well or contributed enough in this game is well and truly fucking deluded :lol:
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 pm

stupot wrote:Him battling with Rudiger gave the space for the midfielders coming in.

:lol: He clearly won us the game
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:41 am

I have absolutely no problems with Ortega in the main, 2 deflections (albeit the 2nd was on the back line/set up, that's a separate conversation).

There is one area of his game that Ederson has in his locker that Ortega doesn't and rather bizarrely one we've seen Ortega do more frequently in the last weeks.

Ederson's pin point long range passes to our out field players, something he doesn't do regularly enough IMO, not expecting multiple times each game.....

I don't think I can recall one long ball Ortega has played that has been pin point, let alone be won by one of ours.

It puts us on the back foot especially against the likes of RM, when they just come back at as with pace as a result.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby stupot » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:12 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
stupot wrote:Him battling with Rudiger gave the space for the midfielders coming in.

:lol: He clearly won us the game

He didn't because we drew but at least we didn't lose 5-0 as you predicted
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:33 am

CTID Hants wrote:I have absolutely no problems with Ortega in the main, 2 deflections (albeit the 2nd was on the back line/set up, that's a separate conversation).

There is one area of his game that Ederson has in his locker that Ortega doesn't and rather bizarrely one we've seen Ortega do more frequently in the last weeks.

Ederson's pin point long range passes to our out field players, something he doesn't do regularly enough IMO, not expecting multiple times each game.....

I don't think I can recall one long ball Ortega has played that has been pin point, let alone be won by one of ours.

It puts us on the back foot especially against the likes of RM, when they just come back at as with pace as a result.

Spot on. Ortega has done himself proud and played well.

But we need to be playing Ed in that second leg to reduce the amount of attacks for Madrid - as weird as that sounds.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:33 am

Like Rudiger has Haaland's card, so does Bernie with Madrid. How many are there now? 4 goals in 4 games?

Does he ever not show up in a big game?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Indianablue » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:01 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

The match is over now and any rants during the match can be forgotten as we all know we all overreact on team news and match threads...me more than most..... now its post match and I will still stick with my scathing comments on Haaland - he was fuckign useless and couldn't control most balls given to him.

Anyone that really thinks Haaland played well or contributed enough in this game is well and truly fucking deluded :lol:

In the cold light of day, Haaland was ineffective, marshalled easily by experienced defenders ( not even the best defenders), made few runs to offer his availabilty, had few touches. His contribution was insignificant to the team's effort. He tracked back once and made a tackle on the touchline. Last night he was wank. I really feel it's like 10 men plus Haaland every time he plays. Alvarez should have started against those last night. Far more mobile, better ball control better all round footballer, better TEAM member
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby Indianablue » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:04 am

Mase wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:I have absolutely no problems with Ortega in the main, 2 deflections (albeit the 2nd was on the back line/set up, that's a separate conversation).

Spot on. Ortega has done himself proud and played well.

But we need to be playing Ed in that second leg to reduce the amount of attacks for Madrid - as weird as that sounds.

Ortega is a decent substitute. His one weakness that lets him down is his insistence on punching to clear a ball. Too afraid to catch the ball, gives away possession or fucks up
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby s1ty m » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:20 am

Indianablue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

In the cold light of day, Haaland was ineffective, marshalled easily by experienced defenders ( not even the best defenders), made few runs to offer his availabilty, had few touches. His contribution was insignificant to the team's effort. He tracked back once and made a tackle on the touchline. Last night he was wank. I really feel it's like 10 men plus Haaland every time he plays. Alvarez should have started against those last night. Far more mobile, better ball control better all round footballer, better TEAM member

Alvarez has the ball taken off him very easily. At Anfield, it was so apparent. Surely Haaland has great value in occupying at least 2 defenders, such is his presence? I'm not suggesting he was good last night, for balance. Anyway, Madrid were lucky. 2 scabby goals and a world volley.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby salford city » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:28 am

Indianablue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Said once the team was announced that I was surprised it was Haaland over Alvarez for the points made above. There is no doubt that Haaland is a scoring machine and he has the stats to prove it. There can also be no doubt that his overall effort for the team when he is not receiving service is minimal to non- existent. I've given him a pass for pinning the defence back and letting our midfield come furrher forward, but I don't see that in him at present. Teams fear him but we had 10 men on the pitch lasr night and fucking fair play to them for putting that shift in. Expecting him to start on Saturday but I think he is playing for his place in the 2nd leg
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:37 am

Have people said it wasn’t Ortega’s fault the second? Why’s he so far off his line when there’s two defenders already there. He stays further back and the pea roller just goes into his hands.

Ed would be getting pelters for that.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:57 am

Mase wrote:Have people said it wasn’t Ortega’s fault the second? Why’s he so far off his line when there’s two defenders already there. He stays further back and the pea roller just goes into his hands.

If anyone is to blame for the second its Dias, a bit slow to get back and help Akanji, in that scenario we needed to quickly double up on Rodrygo. Ortega comes out because Dias is late arriving.
The ball deflects and Ortega cant get to it.
I don't blame him for any of the 3 goals. Having said that I want Ed to start the 2nd leg, he is just better with his feet and that's important in these games.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:04 am

sheblue wrote:
Mase wrote:Have people said it wasn’t Ortega’s fault the second? Why’s he so far off his line when there’s two defenders already there. He stays further back and the pea roller just goes into his hands.

If anyone is to blame for the second its Dias, a bit slow to get back and help Akanji, in that scenario we needed to quickly double up on Rodrygo. Ortega comes out because Dias is late arriving.
The ball deflects and Ortega cant get to it.
I don't blame him for any of the 3 goals. Having said that I want Ed to start the 2nd leg, he is just better with his feet and that's important in these games.

I think shot stopping they’re both even as well. Ortega hasn’t done anything that Ed hasn’t done. And that’s a compliment because I believe Ed is the best in the world.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby blues2win » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:22 am

Big Ed needs to play against Luton to get his game sharpness back. Then play on Wednesday. The question is who most needs a rest before Wednesday. Rodri shouldn’t play in my view. He looked bushed and didn’t play to anywhere near his best. Kovacic has to play. I’d rest Haaland too. Play Alvarez up front. If there’s any concern about Phil he should be on the bench. Opportunity for Rico unless Walker is fit enough. Oscar ought to play too. A rested Rodri plus Walker and Kevin means we should be a lot better on Wednesday. We need to be. A brave performance but a lot of players were well off their best. Real will feel they missed a big chance of finishing us off at 2-1 in the first half.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby stupot » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:40 am

blues2win wrote:Big Ed needs to play against Luton to get his game sharpness back. Then play on Wednesday. The question is who most needs a rest before Wednesday. Rodri shouldn’t play in my view. He looked bushed and didn’t play to anywhere near his best. Kovacic has to play. I’d rest Haaland too. Play Alvarez up front. If there’s any concern about Phil he should be on the bench. Opportunity for Rico unless Walker is fit enough. Oscar ought to play too. A rested Rodri plus Walker and Kevin means we should be a lot better on Wednesday. We need to be. A brave performance but a lot of players were well off their best. Real will feel they missed a big chance of finishing us off at 2-1 in the first half.

Agree with that. I can see him resting a few more as well such as Grealish, Stones and Silva.
Could be Ed, Rico, Akanji, Dias, Gvardiol, Kev, Kova, Nunes, Doku, Alvarez, Bobb. Big guns on the bench just in case.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby blues2win » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:54 am

Yes rest Stones. Bernardo didn’t play well after his goal. I suspect Grealish can manage two games. Play him left Doku right? Tricky decisions but we need to balance what’s needed to beat Luton without sacrificing a golden opportunity in the Champions League. If we get past Real we’ll justifiably be favourites for the trophy. First English team ever to win back to back CL Cups.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Outcast » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:11 am

blues2win wrote:Big Ed needs to play against Luton to get his game sharpness back. Then play on Wednesday. The question is who most needs a rest before Wednesday. Rodri shouldn’t play in my view. He looked bushed and didn’t play to anywhere near his best. Kovacic has to play. I’d rest Haaland too. Play Alvarez up front. If there’s any concern about Phil he should be on the bench. Opportunity for Rico unless Walker is fit enough. Oscar ought to play too. A rested Rodri plus Walker and Kevin means we should be a lot better on Wednesday. We need to be. A brave performance but a lot of players were well off their best. Real will feel they missed a big chance of finishing us off at 2-1 in the first half.

He's been resting all season, how much more rest does he need? We haven't got many games to go to keep resting him. Luton are fighting for their lives, it won't be easy. The only player I'd rest is Roderi
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Indianablue » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:21 am

PeterParker wrote:Like Rudiger has Haaland's card, so does Bernie with Madrid. How many are there now? 4 goals in 4 games?

Does he ever not show up in a big game?

No, but Alvarez has
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum