Training Thursday 1/12

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Thursday 1/12

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Back at Carrington and the fences are now all the way around (unless you just want to watch the reserves) but so far only the first level so you can see over if prepared for it.20 outfield players on show today and 6 keepers. No Kolarov or Hargreaves who had an extra day off.

Jogging and then some specific fitness routines to go through which was all done very close to the fence so I could get a great feel for the attention to the detail from the fitness guys and also the general banter within the whole group.Quite early Mancini called them all onto another pitch and started work with 2 teams. Most of the work he seemed to be doing was with defensive tactics in mind and especially shape and positioning.He would regularly stop the play to assess where everyone was in relation to the ball and the developing attack and then move amongst the players talking and pointing. Situations would build up where an attack was ready to cross the ball but he would stop the ball as he was more concerned (today at least) with how the defending players were set up in case we had to deal with a breakaway.

Nothing special maybe but further evidence to me of the meticulous nature of the man.I reckon we have conceded too many goals for his liking.After a while he swapped the teams around so the other defence and midfield got the same treatment. This work lasted a little longer than what I have seen before and when it seemed to be over as most went away he kept all the defenders and did some extra work. Mancini himself was doing most of the work now as he was setting up attacks from the centre circle either spreading the ball wide or often just driving forward to commit the defence and see how they reacted.All interesting stuff and of course wherever he felt they got it wrong he sorted them out.

The rest were doing a few fitness routines and doing keep ball circles.Mario and Yaya opted out of the latter just kicking balls around while waiting for others to finish.It looked like a game would be the finale as 2 keepers came across .While they were waiting Joe was practicing overhead kicks to balls played diagonally to him by AJ.Joe's success rate was 0%. As it happened they didnt have a game and just played a pass/move game which didnt require keepers.Nothing special in this although again Mancini was fully involved and occasionally stopped proceedings to show them a few things they were not doing right.

And there it suddenly ended.In the time it took me to get a ball back that had come over the fence they had all disappeared. One silly thing today was a new machine to help with crossing the ball.Like a bowling machine for cricketers or at least in principle.A few guys tried to use it but it was a massive flop.The best it could manage was a 10 yard chip with backspin on!

As I left there was work going on just to the side of the car park next to the 6 a side astro pitch that exists behind the tall trees.Don't know what it is but the thought crossed my mind it was a machine gun tower for the photographers coming in alongside the fence. Talking of which there was only one there today.Maybe they have decided not to bother already with the high fencing due soon or maybe they are just reds who are still pig sick after last night.
Last edited by Douglas Higginbottom on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Thursday 1/12

Postby Chinners » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:09 pm

Cheers as ever DH for the daily insight.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby steveo_88 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Very reassuring to know Bobby is preparing everyone for the Norwich counter. Watching the real canaries at Anfield was amazing, they outpassed and outclassed Bin Dippers 1 for the rest of the game after a 20 minute spell in the first half.

Particularly liked watching Marc Tierney who I first saw play for Oldham Athletic, one of those who had instant value because his technique was excellent for a youngster. John Sheridan was in charge and had a great batch of youngsters he could of used but never trusted them, he'll never be a good manager as his judgement of player potential is horrendous.

Defence will have to be on top form on Saturday as unlike Swansea or QPR IMO Norwich are more flexible offensively. They can come at you down the wings deliver good crosses from overlapping fullbacks, through the middle getting the ball down passing it precisely and go route one through Holt if all else fails.

Hoolahan, hope I can get in quick enough to hear this on the loud speakers!

Cheers Doug.
South Stand Blue

steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby Biamp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:09 pm

Cheers Doug, great report. any indications of what the team might be for Saturday?
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Biamp wrote:Cheers Doug, great report. any indications of what the team might be for Saturday?

As if I would say even if I did know!

But I think Costel might be dropped for Joe Hart
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BmoreBlue » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:12 pm

i have to say doug i'm not pleased to hear we're out buying dodgy machinery for training - we've got FFP to think of!
BmoreBlue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:17 pm

BmoreBlue wrote:i have to say doug i'm not pleased to hear we're out buying dodgy machinery for training - we've got FFP to think of!

I reckon somebody has been trying to invent a crossing machine which we will actually use to teach our wide players to get it right.So far not so good.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Cheers Doug, and seeing you always mention about Mancini's precision on defensive matters, does he do the same in an offensive manner or does he send them out with a 'Go and enjoy your football' sort of technique?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby brite blu sky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Great report Doug. cheers.

Let's hope that Bob keeps up the intensity and it start to pay off.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Question Lads: I've just seen Doug's report on a Bluemoon Blog (again), do we not have the capability to do the same (or is this after the horse has bolted?), even on the news/preview page?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Cheers Doug, and seeing you always mention about Mancini's precision on defensive matters, does he do the same in an offensive manner or does he send them out with a 'Go and enjoy your football' sort of technique?

Interesting. I would say mostly he sends them out and says just play when they are attacking and he can do that because of the absolute quality we have. He does watch very closely and again if he doesnt see what he likes he will step in with ideas but we have seen in matches there is a fluidity in the way they play.Silva might start on the right but as we know he goes where he wants.The play may well be pass,pass,pass but always they are probing for gaps to open up and they are good enough to spot when they come.Then the plan would be to speed up the play and go for that gap.

I don't doubt there are a number of specific moves that they work on and Mancini will have drummed into them.The approach to defending corners is a nice example of a change for City. We leave players upfield for obvious reasons and the opposition have to be very wary.If we get it 100% right and they arent perfect we score a la Arsenal.It's not rocket science and we might not be the only ones doing this but there won't be many better groups of players for such a counter attack than Dzeko,AJ and Aguero or Milner,Silva and Ballotelli.

And of course the swamp demolition game was perfect in showing what great movement and perfect passing can do to good teams.Do they practice such movements.Of course they do.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Cheers Doug, and seeing you always mention about Mancini's precision on defensive matters, does he do the same in an offensive manner or does he send them out with a 'Go and enjoy your football' sort of technique?

Interesting. I would say mostly he sends them out and says just play when they are attacking and he can do that because of the absolute quality we have. He does watch very closely and again if he doesnt see what he likes he will step in with ideas but we have seen in matches there is a fluidity in the way they play.Silva might start on the right but as we know he goes where he wants.The play may well be pass,pass,pass but always they are probing for gaps to open up and they are good enough to spot when they come.Then the plan would be to speed up the play and go for that gap.

I don't doubt there are a number of specific moves that they work on and Mancini will have drummed into them.The approach to defending corners is a nice example of a change for City. We leave players upfield for obvious reasons and the opposition have to be very wary.If we get it 100% right and they arent perfect we score a la Arsenal.It's not rocket science and we might not be the only ones doing this but there won't be many better groups of players for such a counter attack than Dzeko,AJ and Aguero or Milner,Silva and Ballotelli.

And of course the swamp demolition game was perfect in showing what great movement and perfect passing can do to good teams.Do they practice such movements.Of course they do.

Interesting, cheers Doug. It's all in the speak.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby phips » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 am

Glad Mancini is putting alot of emphasis on defense to try and stop those stupid goals we keep conceding.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:15 am

phips wrote:Glad Mancini is putting alot of emphasis on defense to try and stop those stupid goals we keep conceding.

Very true, glad he's not concentrating on keeping our score up.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to Training Reports