Training Thursday 29/12

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Thursday 29/12

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Priviledged to be inside again at Carrington with the wind howling and rain,at times,coming in sideways! Not too sure some of the players were as keen as usual in the atrocious weather but they just got on with it, all 25 of them.And that was just the outfield players.Not a player missing and Hargreaves back in full training after a week or so of working hard alongside the rest.Also involved were Nedum,Bridge,Rekik,Roman,Suarez and Razak.

Most came out fully togged up for the weather and even Milner had a jacket on but he took it off when he arrived at the pitch probably not wanting to look a wuss! Initial jogs were followed by one and two touch stuff where it was good to see everybody had the measure of the mannequins today.Then it was a game all about pass and move,closing down and first touch which very quickly got the competitive juices flowing. Mancini then did some of his usual work on another pitch with 2 different teams leaving the others to keep working on specific fitness routines or just playing in keep ball circles.Whatever they were it sounded fun from behind the fence where I was watching Mancini working.

Not easy conditions for Mancini, whether working on attacking plays or defending corners as the wind played havoc with anything kicked in the air.It was most notable when I was watching the keepers as some of the crosses got caught in the wind making it almost impossible for the keepers to make catches or sometimes even get a touch on the ball..

Then it was all back to finish with a match of 10 a side. Bridge,Ned,Roman,Suarez rejoined at this point as they had spent a bit of time working with the keepers providing crosses and shots but a few of the key senior players were given a bit of time off. Even though at least one of them wanted to stay out for the game.

A very early goal started it off when Nigel set Bridge free overlapping down the left and his low,cut back cross was met well by Milner. The equaliser came from a great break from Kolarov and again his low cut back ball was belted home ,this time by Razak.The majority of the game was a stalemate.Some very good football but defences largely in control.The wind did not help at all as switching play with a long ball was so difficult.Mario got a knock but seemed to shrug it off as did Roman. Then at 1.1 a penalty was given for hand ball.Looked like it was all down to the swirling wind but it gave a chance for a winner as it was the last kick of the game. It finished 1.1 !!

As the whistle blew for the end the majority headed for the showers a little quicker than usual but Kolo stayed out for some extra with Brian Kidd ( made me tired just watching it) and Mancini did a little extra with Nasri and AJ on a couple of specific things.As I was walking in I took the opportunity of shaking the boss's hand and thanking him for 2011 and also for agreeing that I could be inside to watch the training.Not sure of his response but it might have been "eez normal"
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Thursday 29/12

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:47 pm

'Eeeez important, for you to be there'.

Cheers for the report Doug, can I just ask if the training behind the curtain is then transposed on the subsequent game?

Who missed the penalty by the way, Mario?

Oh, and watch out for Roberto, he may do an Ade on your ass ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby CityGer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks Doug.

The last bit made me laugh.
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby feedthegreek » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:12 pm

do you think the 6 players named at the end of your first paragraph might get some matchtime over the next 2 games doug?
good report as usual.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:18 pm

feedthegreek wrote:do you think the 6 players named at the end of your first paragraph might get some matchtime over the next 2 games doug?
good report as usual.

I doubt very much that any of them would start a match but it's conceivable that one could be on the bench and get on as a sub if the match went perfectly to plan so that one of the main players didn't have to go on.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Cheers Doug. Good stuff as usual. Nice bit of creeping at the end. You may get an embossed pass if you keep it up.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby feedthegreek » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
feedthegreek wrote:do you think the 6 players named at the end of your first paragraph might get some matchtime over the next 2 games doug?
good report as usual.

I doubt very much that any of them would start a match but it's conceivable that one could be on the bench and get on as a sub if the match went perfectly to plan so that one of the main players didn't have to go on.

cheers doug, love to see suarez get some gametime if we were coasting v sunderland.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Cheers Doug. Good stuff as usual. Nice bit of creeping at the end. You may get an embossed pass if you keep it up.

Had to be done :)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks Doug
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:'Eeeez important, for you to be there'.

Cheers for the report Doug, can I just ask if the training behind the curtain is then transposed on the subsequent game?

Who missed the penalty by the way, Mario?

Oh, and watch out for Roberto, he may do an Ade on your ass ;-)

So much of the routines they do each training session is about 1 and 2 touch ball retention under pressure so yes in that context they definitely do take it into practice games and indeed the real thing.Stuff they work on with Mancini when he takes a team is only relevent to actual matchdays rather than the end of training matches which are always on small sized pitches and there is very little space.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Cheers Doug. Good stuff as usual. Nice bit of creeping at the end. You may get an embossed pass if you keep it up.

Is there an explanation on one of the training threads as to how you got your pass? Been keeping an eye out for one, but it might have passed me by. From the above it appears that Bob may have been given a deciding say, is that right? Also, if it's already been explained, do you know roughly when you posted it, so I can have a trawl? Thanks.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:

Is there an explanation on one of the training threads as to how you got your pass? Been keeping an eye out for one, but it might have passed me by. From the above it appears that Bob may have been given a deciding say, is that right? Also, if it's already been explained, do you know roughly when you posted it, so I can have a trawl? Thanks.

How did I get my pass? Well first of all I havent got an actual pass but just an agreement that I can go in (not every day) and that is agreed/organised on a daily basis as I have a contact to ring to sort it out.

The rest of it I suppose is that I have been going to training for some years and it is known by City (through Vicky Kloss and others) that I post on fans forums and I don't post negative stuff.Whilst they don't really want an audience at training and 100% do not want the photographers that plagued the place,they (the club and the manager) seem ok with me going in to maintain the link with the fans howver small that link is.

I was told ,when the big fences went up,that it had been agreed I could go inside BUT it had still to be ratified by the manager so yes Mancini was ultimately the man who had to agree.That agreement was given just before Christmas.Best christmas present I got:)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Chinners » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice one Doug. I love it (say LOVE IT) that you finally got you're regular entry to watch and I think its great that the club have conceded your link role with the fans. This obviously has been done as they trust you and no doubt someone at the club avidly reads your reports to ensure you 'keep it clean'.

To those club officials watching .... any chance of getting Doug a pass for the bench on matchdays? ... ;)
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:04 pm

Chinners wrote:Nice one Doug. I love it (say LOVE IT) that you finally got you're regular entry to watch and I think its great that the club have conceded your link role with the fans. This obviously has been done as they trust you and no doubt someone at the club avidly reads your reports to ensure you 'keep it clean'.

To those club officials watching .... any chance of getting Doug a pass for the bench on matchdays? ... ;)

They can't fit everbody on as it is.

I agree it's a credit to the club that they've done this.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Dendza » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:43 pm

It takes high level of commitment and willpower to write these reports every week.

Thanks Doug !:-)
Last edited by Dendza on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dendza
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Barcelona, Man.City
My favourite player is: Edin Dzeko

Postby Crossie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:04 pm

BRIDGE GOT AN ASSIST?
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby phips » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:31 pm

So i see you say that all senior players were involved...did Richards look like he has fully recovered from his injury? Did it look like he could play vs. Sunderland? Same with Kolarov? I wonder if we're gonna play Kolarov and give Clichy a rest or try to go with Clichy and have a strong side to maintain our "lead" at the top of the table.

nice report Doug, cheers.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Whassat » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Great post, again :)
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:19 pm

phips wrote:So i see you say that all senior players were involved...did Richards look like he has fully recovered from his injury? Did it look like he could play vs. Sunderland? Same with Kolarov? I wonder if we're gonna play Kolarov and give Clichy a rest or try to go with Clichy and have a strong side to maintain our "lead" at the top of the table.

nice report Doug, cheers.

I think Richards was ready for the last game but Mancini said in a press conference somewhere that it was better safe than sorry and left him out at WBA.Kolarov had also trained fully before christmas so it was the same for him.Hard to be sure which way Mancini will go with a fully fit squad.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Plain Speaking » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:23 am

Doug
Do you have to have your reports vetted by someone at the club now, to make sure confidential info is not leaked?
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Next

Return to Training Reports