Training Friday 30/12

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Friday 30/12

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Non stop rain today but because there was no wind it felt like perfect conditions. I took a brolly but decided not to do my McLaren impression. 5 of us watching today.Joleon's cousin Martin plus 2 little un's and an older Italian guy who Mancini came straight over to for a quick chat.Top fella Martin for a Liverpool fan!!Sounds like he lets Joleon beat him on the PS3:) The kids got a bit bored at times but just loved playing with a ball and getting dirty.

A full 25 squad out again today including Bridge,Razak,Roman and Suarez as yesterday. Hargreaves didnt stay fully involved and a couple of others were kept out of the game at the end.Usual stuff to warm up and then like yesterday a two touch pass /move game which was great to highlight to the young lads the superb technique on display and the 100% importance of that first touch.With the rain of course the surface is very slick but walking on it makes you realise just how heavy it is now as we have had so much rain.

Competitive as ever with decisions being challenged all the time.Mancini ended that and took a team away to repeat a lot of what he did on thursday.The others switched between some short sharp fitness work and keep ball circles before it was their turn to work with the boss.The only ones not involved during this part were Bridge,Suarez,Rekik and Roman who again were helping with the keepers providing shots and crosses. I got a big smile out of Nigel as he went past me by congratulating him on his cake decorating talent.

Then the game at the end and the keepers came over looking like thay had been bathing in mud.Covered pretty well head to toe.I don't think the pitch made it easy to play on as it was a mixture of skiddy and heavy but it did give opportunity for a few lovely slide tackles.No surprise to see some beauties from Nigel and Micah.The first goal was a little rare as it was from the right foot of Silva.After a bit of inter passing on the edge of the box he hit it curling away from the keeper and in off the post.

The main reason it stayed with just that goal for a long long time was Panti who was in inspired form with one superb save from a close in Aguero blockbuster.It was a 10 a side game so the 4 weren't involved this time.As they were going in ,Andy Welsh shouted to Suarez to make sure he got into the ice bath and I think asking one of the others to make sure he did.The next goal was a classic breakaway from a corner which isnt all that easy on the half size pitch.A few went up for a header,including Vinnie but it was cleared and in a second or two Yaya was free, rounding the kepper and tapping home at the other end.There was some dispute,as ever, but I think the goal stood.The nearest to beating Panti was a sublime bit of skill from Nasri where he beat one or two then flicked the ball over the final defenders head but sadly then volleyed the ball just over.

Just one more goal ,a tap in from Mario right on full time sealed the result. Quite a few others had joined the watching throng late on.Some were Italian but others I think were press and I think they had a few interviews lined up for later.Also I noticed some of the regular photographers were around behind the fences and had managed to get a vantage point for the pitch being used today being the closest to the Sale Sharks training ground.A few other City fans had come along hoping for a look but probably more interested in getting autographs later.There were probably a dozen or so fans hoping players would stop when they were leaving.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Friday 30/12

Postby CityGer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Nice one Doug.

Great read as always.
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby spiny » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm

Top class reporting, Doug. Informative and addictive. I wouldn't be surprised if Sheikh Mansour and Khaldoon regularly read your reports to keep updated. A press pass next and access all areas?
spiny
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Sergio Agüero

Postby marvin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Hoping Hargreaves makes the bench at least in the next 2 games. Now or never for him as far as the Premiership is concerned as these are two unique games (2 in 72 hours)
marvin
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:51 pm

marvin wrote:Hoping Hargreaves makes the bench at least in the next 2 games. Now or never for him as far as the Premiership is concerned as these are two unique games (2 in 72 hours)

More like 52 hours
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby CityGer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Doug, talking of Hargreaves, is his absence from match day squads and non participation in training sessions down to a general lack of fitness or does he keep picking up different injuries?

I appreciate it may be hard for you to comment but from the outside it's looking less and less likely that he'll be much use in Yaya's absence.
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:45 pm

CityGer wrote:Doug, talking of Hargreaves, is his absence from match day squads and non participation in training sessions down to a general lack of fitness or does he keep picking up different injuries?

I appreciate it may be hard for you to comment but from the outside it's looking less and less likely that he'll be much use in Yaya's absence.

It's the classic case ,after long term major injuries,of picking up niggling problems and different ones.I see him training more often than not but one day he might be fully involved in everything and the next he might do all the warm up stuff but not take part in the contact football stuff.I expect that will be partly down to how he feels himself but also down to the medical team who will influence what goes on.

Mancini said today in the press conference that we have no injuries but I am sure he will feel that Hargreaves isnt ready to start a game yet and maybe not even on the bench. The very fact that is the case says a lot for our medical and sports science teams as well as the way training is approached.Plus some luck along the way.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby CityGer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Cheers Doug.

Not sure of his contractual situation, wonder if we'll let him go in Jan. It was a punt worth taking but four months down the line I think it's fair to say that it hasn't worked out.
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby phips » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:25 pm

This is sorta off topic but I was watching some inside city episodes on the site and saw a few bits of the 1st team practicing. They were playing a game with 4 nets, 2 big and 2 small. One team was trying to score in the big nets (Top and Bottom) and the other team was trying to score in the 2 small nets (Left and Right)...that's quite a weird game, or so I think. Is that really how it works?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:33 pm

CityGer wrote:Cheers Doug.

Not sure of his contractual situation, wonder if we'll let him go in Jan. It was a punt worth taking but four months down the line I think it's fair to say that it hasn't worked out.

I disagree that it's not worked out or at least not totally. He has played a few games and bits and pieces and shown the value he is if he is fit enough to play.Of course we hoped for more and maybe we will get more in the next 5 months,but I see it as a no lose situation if we hang on to find out.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:39 pm

phips wrote:This is sorta off topic but I was watching some inside city episodes on the site and saw a few bits of the 1st team practicing. They were playing a game with 4 nets, 2 big and 2 small. One team was trying to score in the big nets (Top and Bottom) and the other team was trying to score in the 2 small nets (Left and Right)...that's quite a weird game, or so I think. Is that really how it works?

Not exactly right no as both sets of nets are not used in the same game.The game changes on the blow of a whistle from playing into the big nets where only headed goals are allowed to the small nets where the goal can only be scored with a player's first touch.Kidd or Carminati will decide when to switch from game to game.Sometimes these games will be two touch (apart from the scoring) and others maybe two or even just one touch. Micah seems to play upfront a lot on the headers only and Nigel seems to try extra hard to score in the small nets.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ant london » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
CityGer wrote:Doug, talking of Hargreaves, is his absence from match day squads and non participation in training sessions down to a general lack of fitness or does he keep picking up different injuries?

It's the classic case ,after long term major injuries,of picking up niggling problems and different ones.I see him training more often than not but one day he might be fully involved in everything and the next he might do all the warm up stuff but not take part in the contact football stuff.I expect that will be partly down to how he feels himself but also down to the medical team who will influence what goes on.

Mancini said today in the press conference that we have no injuries but I am sure he will feel that Hargreaves isnt ready to start a game yet and maybe not even on the bench. The very fact that is the case says a lot for our medical and sports science teams as well as the way training is approached.Plus some luck along the way.

I can't be bothered to dig out the number as I've done it before re another subject but we had (I think) a 23 man PL squad at the start of this campaign....even including Hargreaves.

Even if we sign a couple of new players, we lose Tevez so even including OH we have 3 spare slots. He is not costing us ridiculous money and I think he can contribute over the rest of the season in certain capacities. In that context I don't think it can be classed as a failure or something worth abandoning now.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby CityGer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:48 pm

ant london wrote:
I can't be bothered to dig out the number as I've done it before re another subject but we had (I think) a 23 man PL squad at the start of this campaign....even including Hargreaves.

Even if we sign a couple of new players, we lose Tevez so even including OH we have 3 spare slots. He is not costing us ridiculous money and I think he can contribute over the rest of the season in certain capacities. In that context I don't think it can be classed as a failure or something worth abandoning now.

Hhmm, perhaps. It certainly couldn't be considered anything like a success.

I was very much in favour of him signing, it was worth the punt, I just wonder how much patience Bobby has and if he (and the medical team) may decide that this isn't a go'er.

I know we're not short of money but it was reported when he signed that he's not on a PAYP deal. He must be on decent basic and the return has been pretty much zero. There's also Razak to consider. I read Bobby rates him very highly...Doug??
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby spiny » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:46 pm

CityGer wrote:
ant london wrote:

I was very much in favour of him signing, it was worth the punt, I just wonder how much patience Bobby has and if he (and the medical team) may decide that this isn't a go'er.

I know we're not short of money but it was reported when he signed that he's not on a PAYP deal. He must be on decent basic and the return has been pretty much zero. There's also Razak to consider. I read Bobby rates him very highly...Doug??

My take would be akin to the contribution of MO7 retained at the swamp. He has done it at the highest level and has the T-shirt, so a good influence with a winners work ethic that Roberto is trying to instill in the team. Even if he does not play, others can learn from the OH mentality. He is a senior pro with status, experience and influence in essentially a young side, still melding together. He has already made a positive contribution on the field. Think Vieira. More is a bonus.
spiny
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Sergio Agüero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 pm

CityGer wrote:
ant london wrote:

As I have said I think Hargreaves will be given the full season to see how it goes.We have had glimpses and a few games and maybe we will see more this season but I think Mancini won't pull the plug quickly. As for Razak I do think Mancini rates him but not yet as a ready made full time starter in anything like key games.Work in progress though and looking good.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:11 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
phips wrote:This is sorta off topic but I was watching some inside city episodes on the site and saw a few bits of the 1st team practicing. They were playing a game with 4 nets, 2 big and 2 small. One team was trying to score in the big nets (Top and Bottom) and the other team was trying to score in the 2 small nets (Left and Right)...that's quite a weird game, or so I think. Is that really how it works?

Not exactly right no as both sets of nets are not used in the same game.The game changes on the blow of a whistle from playing into the big nets where only headed goals are allowed to the small nets where the goal can only be scored with a player's first touch.Kidd or Carminati will decide when to switch from game to game.Sometimes these games will be two touch (apart from the scoring) and others maybe two or even just one touch. Micah seems to play upfront a lot on the headers only and Nigel seems to try extra hard to score in the small nets.

Ah got it, that makes much more sense. I just saw Nige's hattrick on the tiny goals and Micah's diving header on the big goal.
Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus