Training Saturday 14/1

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Saturday 14/1

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Lovely sunny day but with quite a heavy frost the training was moved across to the 2 undersoil heated pitches.With NMT from BMoon we were ushered across to sit in the dug out by the side on the first pitch. Close and a great view apart from the low sun directly into our eyes.And the immediate good news was seeing David Silva come out to train.

As they were all gathering Hargreaves was already into his own pre training work out to get himself totally warmed up.No Vinnie today for obvious reasons but for me sensibly getting a little real rest although quite likely he will be with the team on Monday giving support.Nedum,Suarez,Rekik involved again but Bridge away with the EDS.I did notice Bridge sprinting off before their session had finished so maybe he had to be somewhere.Mario sat out today but was working inside.

After initial jogs and fairly gentle work out routines it was into 1 and then 2 touch passing games where the target was 10 completed passes for a goal.Initially it included using extras on the touchlines.The extras being the coaches.The main thing I noticed in this session was the constant encouragement coming from Brian Kidd.Always talking ,always positive and supportive giving instructions and praise all round.Back then into some more fitness routines with Silva getting a little individual work with Carminati. And to answer the question yes David looked absolutely fine.

The keepers were also training on the same pitch so we saw, and heard quite a lot of them working very hard as ever.One little exercise they did was challenging as a high ball was knocked in for the keeper to deal with under presssure but immediately after connecting with the cross they had to move to the side to deal with an incoming shot. Quite hard work especially when the challenge on the keeper was quite physical at times. Panti took one when Joe challenged him and landed on his foot. Quickly recovered thankfully.

The it was Mancini taking a team away to the pitch one further away ( also undersoil heated).It wasnt that easy to see stuff because of the low sun as much as the distance but what struck me was the attention to detail.It's always there with Mancini but maybe even more so today and this part of the overall session lasted a little longer than usual. Plenty on shape/formation but also time spent on attacking movements/finishing, corners ( attacking and defending) as well as a little on free kicks. The remaining players were left in a normal keep ball circle and many were switched into Mancini's "team" to go over the same work. I reckon Mancini was watching it all especially closely and anyone not getting it spot on was getting plenty of his attention!

So then into the end game.In the end there was just one goal but plenty of good stuff and near things.
Nigel heading over early on after easing a defender under the cross.
AK superbly volleyed a low cross in which Aguero headed just wide diving in at the far post.
Our crossing in general though wasnt very good.
One Silva move and break said everything about his class
Barry hit a cross first time but hit the stanchion just wide
Nasri was very involved and influential
Milner shot just wide but Joe got a fingertip to it.
It was a deflected Kolarov shot from 20 yards which went in giving Panti no chance.
Right at the end there was almost an opening for Nasri but Hargreaves did very well to bblock his shot.
The whistle went leaving Nigel to have a moan as his team were attacking and he was sure just about to equalise!!

Just 3 stayed out for a little extra. Joleon to work with Carminati and the usuals of Milner and Clichy. Mancini left with the rest and gave us a little acknowledgement which was nice and as we left Mario, in his white Bentley, was being mobbed by autograph hunters at the main gate and he too gave us a wave when he drove away.

All in all not the most intense training session ever but sensibly I would say after 2 days off and more time spent on details as well as
general fitness work.Tomorrow may well be different.
Last edited by Douglas Higginbottom on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Saturday 14/1

Postby aaron bond » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks Doug. That's great news re: Silva.

Do you have any news on Balotelli and Dzeko's injuries?
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:05 pm

aaron bond wrote:Thanks Doug. That's great news re: Silva.

Do you have any news on Balotelli and Dzeko's injuries?

What Dzeko injury? Nothing more re Mario than Platt said in the press interview.Might not make Monday but it's not a big problem.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Cheers Doug.

Now you've gone and edited it I'm gonna have to re-read it. Cheers Doug!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby CityGer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Good man, Doug.

Great news on Silva.
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Just wondering Doug, is Nige still the same go-lucky individual that he used to be?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Just wondering Doug, is Nige still the same go-lucky individual that he used to be?

I couldnt tell anything today as they were mostly a distance away but yes he has still been the same Nige I have been used to seeing at training.Serious focus in the play but plenty of fun and smiles around as well.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Just wondering Doug, is Nige still the same go-lucky individual that he used to be?

I couldnt tell anything today as they were mostly a distance away but yes he has still been the same Nige I have been used to seeing at training.Serious focus in the play but plenty of fun and smiles around as well.

Cheers Doug. Do you think Ned or one of the youngsters will make the bench, seems like they are there for every session now?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Cheers Doug. Do you think Ned or one of the youngsters will make the bench, seems like they are there for every session now?

Ned was on the bench for the scouse game wasnt he so maybe he will be again.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:37 pm

No Edin injury? Sounds like he might start to give Aguero a breather after playing 2 straight (maybe 3).

Good stuff Doug.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:04 am

After all you've learnt in the past few years Doug you'll be hiring yourself out as an omline training consultant, £500 a day I reckon, shape a speciality, lol, discretion guarranteed!
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:08 am

getdressedmctavish wrote:After all you've learnt in the past few years Doug you'll be hiring yourself out as an omline training consultant, £500 a day I reckon, shape a speciality, lol, discretion guarranteed!

It would take more than £500
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ant london » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 am

I would really like to see Nigel in for the next couple of games at the base of the midfield doing the job he's best suited for with a more dynamic and creative three in front of him. I think we'll then see him offering what he's best at to the team whilst not leaving us handicapped creatively. I would take GazBaz out for a couple of games as I really think he looks like he needs a rest and Johnson can stay on the bench for his one trick of impact. Awful though he was vs Liverpool I think Mancini should stick with Savic and let him try to get on his game (much as this actually half terrifies me). Also give Edin a run with a view to maybe being able to rest Sergio for the biggest games (both Balotelli and Aguero look like they can cope with rotation a lot better than Dzeko so we should look to deal with that rather than putting Edin in and out and seeing him struggle)

I'd like to see us play this vs the pie eaters

------------------------------Hart----------------------------
Richards-------------Savic------Lescott-------------Clichy
---------------------------De Jong---------------------------
Nasri----------------------Silva-----------------------Milner
---------------------Aguero------Dzeko---------------------

subs: Pantillimon, Zabaleta, Onuoha (or Rekik), Barry, Razak, Balotelli, Johnson
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby phips » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:39 pm

ant london wrote:I would really like to see Nigel in for the next couple of games at the base of the midfield doing the job he's best suited for with a more dynamic and creative three in front of him. I think we'll then see him offering what he's best at to the team whilst not leaving us handicapped creatively. I would take GazBaz out for a couple of games as I really think he looks like he needs a rest and Johnson can stay on the bench for his one trick of impact. Awful though he was vs Liverpool I think Mancini should stick with Savic and let him try to get on his game (much as this actually half terrifies me). Also give Edin a run with a view to maybe being able to rest Sergio for the biggest games (both Balotelli and Aguero look like they can cope with rotation a lot better than Dzeko so we should look to deal with that rather than putting Edin in and out and seeing him struggle)

I'd like to see us play this vs the pie eaters

------------------------------Hart----------------------------
Richards-------------Savic------Lescott-------------Clichy
---------------------------De Jong---------------------------
Nasri----------------------Silva-----------------------Milner
---------------------Aguero------Dzeko---------------------

subs: Pantillimon, Zabaleta, Onuoha (or Rekik), Barry, Razak, Balotelli, Johnson

I agree with alot of this. I dont know if we can cope without Barry and I dont know about Savic...I'd be tempted
to want to see Zaba and Richards in the team together. Aguero needs a rest for sure though.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus