Training Thursday 19/1

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Thursday 19/1

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Busy day at Carrington with a host of people there when I arrived. Charity related as there were some in wheelchairs with their families and everything orchestrated by Lorraine with Sharon running around taking pictures. They all (I tagged along) got in position to meet the players as they came out from the changing rooms to give autographs on shirts and pictures plus plenty of posing with the players as well.I expect it will all be on the OS in one of the inside Carrington features.

Included also was City and Englands under 14's keeper making sure she got Joe's signature on her gloves.(wish I could remember names,sorry)As they all went inside for a tour I set off to watch the training and walking around the pitch (I don't walk across) there was Mario sorting his boots out in the dug out.Seemed in good nick and assured me he is fully fit.Got the pleasure of meeting his brother later on as well alongside the pitch.

17 on show today with Rekik,Suarez,Bridge,Assulin and I think Biton all working with the EDS players. No Vinnie and no Aguero today but I was assured all is fine with him. I reckon he has worked hard enough of late to deserve an extra day!So this is day 1 of 3 leading up to a big game and there were lots of cones/poles/markers ,little goals etc etc set up for what I expected to be intricate fitness routines.

A few jogs around and then they split into two groups for some gentle ball work and just Mario doing something a little different under the watchful eye of Ivan Carminati. Logical really as he has missed a week or so and needs different work to regain his best fitness.The early rain had disappeared now and the sun was out to make it almost tropical. Milner was very quickly down to a short sleeved shirt.

Mancini then took a team away for some of the usual work leaving the rest to get into the intricate routines I expected as well as a little extra running.I watched Mancini take the team through plenty of the same shape and passing routines and including some specific stuff for Spurs.I was near enough to hear specific names mentioned as they went though attacking and defensive movemants.Nothing today on corners and free kicks but no doubt that's for another day.

One of the mannequins got involved again, mimicking Parker by bringing the boss down! Again one of the things noticeable to me was the great care Mancini took when looking at the positions players take up in a defensive situation. Often moving a player by a couple of yards so they have the right angles covered and giving the right support to another player.Mancini changed plenty of the players to run through the same stuff before it was time for the game.

3 didnt take part in the game but did some extra work with physios but nothing sinister in that as their situation just needed some different work.They were Silva,Micah and Mario (Savic also for a short while before he joined the game).As it was only 8 a side there was more space than usual and maybe not quite as intense again as often in the 1st training session of the week.

A great save from Panti started the game from a Razak shot
Nigel had an easy tap in.Sadly it went just over
Then 2 goals from AJ.Bottom left from 20 yards and then a trademark left foot curler to the bottom right.
Nigel then made up for his miss scoring after a great one two with Milner
Milner then scored but was off side
Joe Hart wasn't playing but was practicing his golf swing as he left
Mario finished his work and started taking pot shots at his brother
Nasri brought a class ave from Taylor touching it onto a post and away
Top goalline clearance from Clichy
a brilliant effort from Nigel clipped the bar.outside of the right foot from an angle on the right side
great save by Panti from Barry but Dzeko onto the rebound with a back heel for Barry for a tap in
Kolarov smashed one onto a post with his usual power
Edin scored with a classy side footer
AK fouled Milner when through but nothing given although Massimo was giving it from close up. Milner called for a change in the referee.
another AK blast saved by Panti
a magical bit of interplay between Milner and Nigel almost made a goal
then brilliance by Nasri set up AJ comimg in from the left to clinically finish and that was that.

Only Milner( chatting with the boss) and Clichy stayed out for more.I think Clichy was looking for somebody to play with!As I left a stretch limo arrived but it wasnt for me.Mario came out of the car park a little quickly and I noticed SWP still has a parking space.

A good session,everyone looking fit and well,just 2 more to go.
Last edited by Douglas Higginbottom on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Thursday 19/1

Postby gillie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Great report as per DH.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby CityGer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Many thanks Doug.

Top reporting as ever.

Also, when you have a moment, it would be good if you could give us a quick update on some of the young lads Rekik, Suarez....how they are progressing, does Mancini work with them etc.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby Duckman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:45 pm

cheers Doug.
how did that Biton lad look?
private dick/family man
Duckman
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva, Kompany, Yaya

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:46 pm

Cheers Doug, top report as always
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:57 pm

CityGer wrote:Many thanks Doug.

Top reporting as ever.

Also, when you have a moment, it would be good if you could give us a quick update on some of the young lads Rekik, Suarez....how they are progressing, does Mancini work with them etc.

He doesnt single them out for special work when they train with the 1st teamers,at least not when I have seen them.The very fact they are there a lot of the time is obviously good for them.

If I get the chance I am hoping to watch a full EDS training session one day when the 1st team aren't out.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Duckman wrote:cheers Doug.

Looked brilliant as he went past me to join the EDS session.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby carolina-blue » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Nigel had an easy tap in.Sadly it went just over hahaha nice one Doug Classic , Great report Thanks.
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 pm

carolina-blue wrote:Nigel had an easy tap in.Sadly it went just over hahaha nice one Doug Classic , Great report Thanks.

I didnt like to mention a negative like that but he did score a beauty just after and played very well overall. He got some good verbals from his teammates after this miss as well.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mike J » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Doug, im interested to hear what you think about hargreaves?

does he look sharp in training or just a very average player, any word on whether he will ever be able to play a run of games. i get the feeling he will be released in the summer.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby bigblue » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Cheers, top report.

Do you take notes during the training or just have a good memory for everything that happened? Because I imagine they might not take kindly to a man scribbling notes of their training sessions.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Chinners » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Brilliant insight as ever DH ...Cheers
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby CityGer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
He doesnt single them out for special work when they train with the 1st teamers,at least not when I have seen them.The very fact they are there a lot of the time is obviously good for them.

If I get the chance I am hoping to watch a full EDS training session one day when the 1st team aren't out.

Cheers Doug.

Good man.
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby steveo_88 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Top report as always Doug. Nice to hear the Nige 'crab man' De Jong getting one on target but more importantly during training did he pass the ball forward(not taking the piss, it's genuinely beginning to worry/piss me off in games)?

In your opinion does Panti look good enough to be signed permanently? He went up in my estimation after the derby. It's clearly an area we either need to secure(Panti on a contract) or bring in some reliable veteran IMO. Stuart Taylor is not good enough if Hart, touch wood, gets injured.
South Stand Blue

steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Mike J wrote:Doug, im interested to hear what you think about hargreaves?

does he look sharp in training or just a very average player, any word on whether he will ever be able to play a run of games. i get the feeling he will be released in the summer.

No doubt City took on a quality player in Hargreaves and a very dedicated pro.Impossible to say whether he will play a run of games but he certainly looks fit now and has been full training for 2 or 3 weeks. The impossible thing to know is whether he will get set backs and especially after playing in a game which is the only real test of a players fitness.To date he has unfortunately picked up niggles after games which havent been serious but enough to set him back a week or so.Touch wood he is ready now but still more likley to feature as needed in a subs role.

Watching him in games in training it's easy to see his quality even in though there is very little room to play in.He isnt the silky touch player like one or two others but he shows plenty of good awareness,makes himself available constantly and reads the game very well so is regularly around to snuff out attacks.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dendza » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Great report Doug. Do you think Edin will start vs Spurs?
Dendza
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Barcelona, Man.City
My favourite player is: Edin Dzeko

Postby Duckman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Duckman wrote:cheers Doug.

Looked brilliant as he went past me to join the EDS session.

tall and handsome?
private dick/family man
Duckman
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva, Kompany, Yaya

Postby Goataldo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Quality stuff. Any words with Mario's brother (Enoch, is it?)?
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Goataldo wrote:Quality stuff. Any words with Mario's brother (Enoch, is it?)?

Just a brief hello and a handshake with him and his mate.

Oh I forgot I asked about all the things that he gets reported as doing and he confirmed every one is 100% true and there are many more besides.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 pm

steveo_88 wrote:Top report as always Doug. Nice to hear the Nige 'crab man' De Jong getting one on target but more importantly during training did he pass the ball forward(not taking the piss, it's genuinely beginning to worry/piss me off in games)?

In your opinion does Panti look good enough to be signed permanently? He went up in my estimation after the derby. It's clearly an area we either need to secure(Panti on a contract) or bring in some reliable veteran IMO. Stuart Taylor is not good enough if Hart, touch wood, gets injured.

I think you are being to hard on Nigel. I know he doesnt go for too much play making like some of the others but it's not the role he is asked to play.I know from what I see that he can do more going forward and ,with today as an example, he was very good going forward.Some very quick one twos and good at picking the right foward pass if it's on.And getting into goalscoring positions.

Re Panti ,I think he has come on a lot since he arrived and I think I have reflected that in my reports. Credit to Massimo who I believe has also been good for Joe.The answer is yes I think he is a viable number two to Joe and the question might be more whether we can hang onto him if he isnt going to play much. As for Stu Taylor I actually like him! I am not saying he is a premier league keeper long term but he is capable of some excellent performances and often in training can be excellent and if he had to fill in the odd time or come off the bench I would have confidence.( I have never forgotten his performance against us for Arsenal when we were battered but could have scored planty but for him)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to Training Reports