Training Sunday 29/1

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Sunday 29/1

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:40 pm

19 players on view today with the keepers away on another pitch working away.I was out early and the players came out in small groups and there just seemed a really good feeling about the whole group. I get some of it from the twitter exchanges between Joleon,Vinnie,Micah and Nigel but it's all very evident close up that they really are a close group.

All the players will have done warm up stuff inside before coming out.How much they do will probably be more down to them than any strict regime and varies from 15 to 20 minutes and maybe up to 40 or 45 so when they come out it's always quite gentle to start with with jogs and a some simple routines. They then played a pass and move game which I have seen plenty of times before but there was a difference today.

It's always either 1 or 2 touch but today there was no tackling and no talking for the first 5 minutes or so.The ball was moved around quickly enough and mostly one touch but nobody was shouting for the ball and the defending team were closing down but not actually winning the ball back.Very interesting watching the slick passing and ,with all familiar movements, the players knowing where passes could go and making all the right moves.

Then they moved onto some short sharp fitness drills.Lescott did something different as I assume it was felt he needed a little bit of running.Then it was Mancini time to take a team for some tactical work.I think somebody raised the question recently re whether they ever practice throw ins.Well they did today and for quite a lengthy session too.It wasnt designed to be clever rocket science moves but simple effective plays and if deep in our half,safe ones as well.This was done with effectively 2 teams and working on throw ins from all areas of the pitch.

And so onto the game which immediately sprung into life with a superb Sergio shot and an even better save from Joe.The first goal was from Silva , a left foot volley when the ball broke to him in a central position.Samir Nasri scored a sweet equaliser and very nearly a 2nd as he weaved his way through.Maybe one touch two many but the skill as he got through was brilliant.AJ also nearly scored as he went passed the keeper but ran out of space.His appeal for a penalty fell on deaf ears ( quite right too)

Joe was looking in great nick as ever and always so vocal
The EDS training had finished but quite a few stayed onto watch this game which was quite a stri=ong one today ( Courtney Meppen-Walters,Sean Tse,De SIlva,Ellabdaloui,Evans(I think)
Suarez brought an ooohh from watchers (including Platty near me) with a great curler which hit the bar and bounced in play
Kolarov got what I feared was a tweaked knee but played on and said later it was fine
He then took out AJ in a fierce tackle as AJ numegged him
Edin went close
Joe another top saveAguero close with a header before Kidd said last minute
It was Aguero again with some marvellous attacking play,great touch,great accaleration,past the keeper and scored

Great way to end a strong practice game although Joe wasnt the happiest as he took time to pick himself up.When he did though it was into some fun goalscoring of his own to finish the day.Headers,volleys anything as long as he managed to score a few.

Sergio and Edin stayed back for some words from the boss.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Sunday 29/1

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks Doug, excellent insight as ever.

What are the Twitter exchanges you refer to? I'm not a tweeter, is it just general good banter between them?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby twosips » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Yep - Richards and Lescott always mocking each other, with De Jong jumping in occasionally, and them all teasing Kompany frequently. It's very amusing.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Chinners » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Cheers Doug as always.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby ant london » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Thanks Doug, excellent insight as ever.

What are the Twitter exchanges you refer to? I'm not a tweeter, is it just general good banter between them?

they are quite amusing....it's mainly micah and lescott mocking each other, supported by Nigel and then Vincent

It looks like they are trying to get Garry Barry on there and Aguero, Zabba and Nasri are pretty regular twitterererers

Johnno's on Twitter too but his contribution is sporadic
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Hmmm...

Might have to sign up.

It's interesting as the way media portray footballers and Twitter is all in a negative light. Then again I suppose it's just the negative stuff that sells.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Biamp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Cheers Doug, great read as usual. How is Dennis Suarez looking with the first team?? Is Karim Rekik a regular within the first team training?
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby phips » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Sergio and Edin stayed back for some words from the boss.

Hopefully this was about getting them to play better together
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus