Training Tuesday 7/2

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Tuesday 7/2

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Better late than never but the training was at 3pm today in the freezing cold.Vinnie not back to full training yet,no Nasri either and also Dzeko and Pizarro not back from wherever due to flight delays.Plenty of young guns involved though with Roman, Suarez (back already from the Spain under 18's) Helan,Scapuzzi.Assulin,Rekik and Razak.Owen Hargreaves was out but working separately.

Straight into two teams and they just worked on passing as a team and exploding into action on the whistle.Then it changed into a 2 touch passing game in a smallish area,then 1 touch and it was all very quick stuff.Pretty non stop stuff,the movement excellent and plenty of tackles going in as well.I was worried a little with a block on Mario as he tried a left foot volley but he was fine,Nigel took Suarez in one tackle and Assulin got 2 or 3 knocks but got up for more. I have seen this exercise plenty of times but this seemed as fast as I can recall and some of the play was real quality.

Then into some exercises involving running before the game started.While the exercises were going on I watched the keepers for a while as they were doing some work on crosses with other keepers having the job of challenging as the ball came in.Quite a challenge if Costel is coming in at you but they were doing it without too much real contact.They also took the chance to try and score if the cross wasnt near the keeper and Costel scored a beauty in off the near post and celebrated bigtime with Joe ( Stu was in goal) and right at the end Joe glanced one in nicely and did his own special celebration.One of the keepers who went in a bit earlier was Angus Gunn. I am sure he has grown a lot (more to come probably as he is just 16 I think) and looked good today and got very positive comments when I spoke with Stu as he went off.

So into the game and it started off with a really big dispute as a goal was scored but then belatedly disallowed as off side despite Nigel arguing loudly.Louder than most though but there were plenty having a go.Just like the previous 1 and 2 touch sessions this game was also high intensity with plenty of stong play. Assulin was first to feel that as he was clobbered and the most obvious thing to the watcher like me was how much it all seemed to mean to the players.There really was no quarter given.

Bear in mind also it was 11 a side in half a pitch and that with the width narrowed as well. Some great defending tok the eye early on with Joleon and then Joe Hart excelling.Joe's save from a Savic header was top class.Suarez today was playing centrally and deepish and looking good early on.Then it was Costel's turn for a great save with his feet from Roman but the pass from Silva to release Roman was exquisite.Nearly a collectors item next when Silva headed onto the bar before it went down the other end and Sergio scored with a sweet finish. Not just the finish though as in these early stages he was just superb.His touch,control ,awareness were a joy to watch.

Then a close call as Assulin shot over from a great pull back cross.Looked like he should have scored but the ball was just behind him making it difficult to keep down.Barry also missed a chance and then a scary moment.Well it was for me and I was only watching.The ball was across the edge of the area and Kolarov was moving in for a pile driver and I could see Micah coming in for the block.AK caught it perfectly and Micah's ample arse did the blocking! I felt it but Micah didnt seem to bother as the ball rebounded about 50 yards!

Scapuzzi was through but chose to pass when he should have shot but to be fair the sight of Joe charging at him might well have made his mind up.He is a real presence.Then another quality save fron Costel denied Assulin.Silva found a great pass for Mario to take one touch under real pressure and get a shot just wide.Aguero denied by Joe in a one to one.He went for the chip and Joe came at him but Joe got a hand up to deflect it. And then the equaliser and as so often it was GazBaz. Cool finish just inside the post as he broke through with a late run.

The challenges were coming thick and fast.Nigel and Razak were having a fair old tussle in the middle.Then a weird moment as a cross came over and Kolarov(defending) came across to the middle to meet the ball but deflected it in slow motion ( seemed it anyway) past Costel and onto a post.Silva hit the rebound but Costel parried it to safety.All this and it was starting to go dark.The last action was Mario taking a touch,flicking over the defender and hitting a shot just over. So 1.1 it stayed and it was really enjoyable as you might have guessed.

Most went in but Mancini had a few players practicing corner taking with the sole aim (I think) of landing the ball in a small area which meant beating the front man.AJ,AK,MB,JM.As I left the groundsman was quickly trying to clear the pitch as he had to cut it before he could go home!
Last edited by Douglas Higginbottom on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Tuesday 7/2

Postby halnone » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm

great report as always. Sounds like a great match in training
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:57 pm

halnone wrote:great report as always. Sounds like a great match in training

Well worth the entry fee.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks Doug.

Have you noticed any difference in training in regards Barry's fitness? I only ask because in the last couple of games he appears jaded, with some wayward passing.

I'm trying to work out is it because he has extra to do without Yaya or Jimmy partnering him? or whether the volume of games is taking it's toll?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Thanks Doug.

Have you noticed any difference in training in regards Barry's fitness? I only ask because in the last couple of games he appears jaded, with some wayward passing.

I'm trying to work out is it because he has extra to do without Yaya or Jimmy partnering him? or whether the volume of games is taking it's toll?

No difference at all.His last 2 performances have been a bit below par for sure but maybe it's a combination of things.Volume of games partly but I would guess that he is missing Yaya more then anyone.It seems to me that he hasnt looked great when trying to make the make the play which he has had to do more with Yaya missing.

Tis interesting though how often in training he gets into goalscoring positions and looks composed with his finishing as well.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mike J » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Top report. id love to watch the training.

Hope we see gai in the squad before the season is out.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Thanks Doug.

No difference at all.His last 2 performances have been a bit below par for sure but maybe it's a combination of things.Volume of games partly but I would guess that he is missing Yaya more then anyone.It seems to me that he hasnt looked great when trying to make the make the play which he has had to do more with Yaya missing.

Tis interesting though how often in training he gets into goalscoring positions and looks composed with his finishing as well.

Thanks mate.

Hopefully he can turn it back around because up to these last couple games he's been our most consistent performer imo.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Mike J wrote:Top report. id love to watch the training.

Don't hold your breath.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Don't hold your breath.

agreed. sadly, i suspect he's never going to make it here. which again makes me wonder why we even bother with an EDS. is it purely to create nedum type players we can sell at a small profit? if so, and considering how much it must cost us to fund the EDS, does it really make financial sense for the club?
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:

Don't hold your breath.

agreed. sadly, i suspect he's never going to make it here. which again makes me wonder why we even bother with an EDS. is it purely to create nedum type players we can sell at a small profit? if so, and considering how much it must cost us to fund the EDS, does it really make financial sense for the club?

Whilst I think he might not make it at a top 4 club I wouldnt totally rule it out either.I still expect Gai to get a loan opportunity first though to see what happens there.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Crossie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:13 pm

Doug, cheers as always,

Is it safe to say Assulin is not the new Messi, as we were told?!
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby marvin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Any news on Nasri?
marvin
De Jong's Tackle

Postby mcfc/wire » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Cheers Doug ,

What's an early assumption of Vinnie making Sundays game ? And do you have any news on Nasri ? TIA .
mcfc/wire
Robinho's Step Over

My favourite player is: Tommy Caton

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:41 pm

mcfc/wire wrote:Cheers Doug ,

What's an early assumption of Vinnie making Sundays game ? And do you have any news on Nasri ? TIA .

Should hear more about both tomorrow.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Crossie wrote:Doug, cheers as always,

Is it safe to say Assulin is not the new Messi, as we were told?!

Don't know who said that.There is and only ever will be one Messi but Gai is a quality player who has had injuries in the last year or so to stop his progress.Imo he needs a loan spell somewhere so we can find out (and he can) how good he is and whether he worth putting in our squad.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:30 pm

thanks Doug...top read as always.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Biamp » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Cheers Doug, great read.
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:01 am

what i love most about your training reports Doug is that it's easy to consider most of the footballers we watch as fairly one-dimensional in their skillset, but yet to the layperson they have a slew of skills which they sometimes get to trot out in training but would maybe never arise or very very infrequently arise during a match.

you forget sometimes that to be a professional athlete in any sport you really have to be fucking tip top of your game in a lot of different skills to even get the chance to specialize in one element of the craft for which everyone will know you, if you are lucky.

am i making sense? i've had a couple beers. Just two, but...still.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:17 am

DoomMerchant wrote:what i love most about your training reports Doug is that it's easy to consider most of the footballers we watch as fairly one-dimensional in their skillset, but yet to the layperson they have a slew of skills which they sometimes get to trot out in training but would maybe never arise or very very infrequently arise during a match.

you forget sometimes that to be a professional athlete in any sport you really have to be fucking tip top of your game in a lot of different skills to even get the chance to specialize in one element of the craft for which everyone will know you, if you are lucky.

am i making sense? i've had a couple beers. Just two, but...still.

cheers

Good post. For instance, James Milner is superb at taking free kicks but in a squad like City's he rarely gets the chance and I think it would antonigize quite a few fans if he got the opportunity

Tip top report as always Douglas!
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Avalon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 am

Actually, Milner is good at a variety of things, not just corners and free kicks. I think you were referring to Kolarov ;)
Avalon
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: City

Next

Return to Training Reports