Training Friday 10/2

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Re: Training Friday 10/2

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Nice one Mr H.

How did the youngsters (Suarez, Roman and Razak) shape up, compared to the 'senior'/established members of the squad ??

Skill-wise, positionally and tactically did they look a bit out of their depth(s) or did they look as though they could slot into the first team ??

None of them look out of their depth and that would include Rekik as well of course.As for slotting into the first team, well that's another question.
Looking at each individually: Razak,I have said before is more like a Nigel but perhaps with more attacking instinct than Nigel.He is strong and can break up play and lay it off.As yet I havent seen much evidence that he is a great passer of the ball or that he actually gets his head up enough.
Suarez just looks quality on the ball and travels really well with it but often the final pass or shot just isnt quite right.Of course there have been plenty of occasions where he has got it right and they will be shown on tv but at the moment he is still learning and developing his skills.Today at times he looked superb in finding space in the middle to help defenders pass the ball out and he might play a great little one two to create space but then that last ball just wasnt quite there.
Roman maybe doesnt look as classy as Suarez but he does play a more advanced role and as a result gets himself into goalscoring positions more often and he is more inclined to shoot anyway.Very talented,plays great one twos,sees openings very well and might just be a surprise to get 1st team time sooner rather than later(even if not this season)

Just watched a recording of the rags game & I really like the look of Roman even in half a game. Actually the whole City midfield including Ellabdelloui, Evans & Assulin, looked on a different planet to the rags imo. Rags create more half chances out of nothing than we do out of something though, & can score at any time no matter how shit they are playing, just like the 1st team.

Have you seen much of Helan playing fullback Doug ? I've only seen him as a winger in the past but I thought he was tremendous v the rags. Lots of fuckups & frustratingly headless moments but lots of great play too & an absolutely enormous allround contribution & fantastic work ethic. Reminded me of Paul Power; moments of headlessness but absolutely relentless & he has PACE.

Helan has frustrated me more often than not in the past.As a winger I always felt he had evrything and showed almost nothing so maye it's full back he will come through.Or maybe it's a double bluff and he will do a Bale and be a winger after all.The key for me is aggression.He needs to be aggressive and to be fair I have seen a little of that of late in training.If he stays aggressive both in terms of pure effort and the positivity it brings to his play he has a chance.

I didnt see the game but I am a bit surprised Evans has received glowing reports.Some anyway.When I have seen him in under 18's( not recently I admit) he has looked nothing special so maybe he is blossoming as well
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:26 pm

phips wrote:What do you think of Vinnie's fitness level for Sunday? Does it look like he'll play?

I think Vinnie looked fine and will probably play.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:27 pm

mcfc/wire wrote:Cheers as always , Doug .

You say Micah and Joleon were working together . Is that the centre back pairing on Sunday then i wonder ??????

or maybe the decision was their time would be best spent on something other than attacking/shooting play?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Nice one Mr H.

How did the youngsters (Suarez, Roman and Razak) shape up, compared to the 'senior'/established members of the squad ??

Skill-wise, positionally and tactically did they look a bit out of their depth(s) or did they look as though they could slot into the first team ??

None of them look out of their depth and that would include Rekik as well of course.As for slotting into the first team, well that's another question.
Looking at each individually: Razak,I have said before is more like a Nigel but perhaps with more attacking instinct than Nigel.He is strong and can break up play and lay it off.As yet I havent seen much evidence that he is a great passer of the ball or that he actually gets his head up enough.
Suarez just looks quality on the ball and travels really well with it but often the final pass or shot just isnt quite right.Of course there have been plenty of occasions where he has got it right and they will be shown on tv but at the moment he is still learning and developing his skills.Today at times he looked superb in finding space in the middle to help defenders pass the ball out and he might play a great little one two to create space but then that last ball just wasnt quite there.
Roman maybe doesnt look as classy as Suarez but he does play a more advanced role and as a result gets himself into goalscoring positions more often and he is more inclined to shoot anyway.Very talented,plays great one twos,sees openings very well and might just be a surprise to get 1st team time sooner rather than later(even if not this season)

Just watched a recording of the rags game & I really like the look of Roman even in half a game. Actually the whole City midfield including Ellabdelloui, Evans & Assulin, looked on a different planet to the rags imo. Rags create more half chances out of nothing than we do out of something though, & can score at any time no matter how shit they are playing, just like the 1st team.

Have you seen much of Helan playing fullback Doug ? I've only seen him as a winger in the past but I thought he was tremendous v the rags. Lots of fuckups & frustratingly headless moments but lots of great play too & an absolutely enormous allround contribution & fantastic work ethic. Reminded me of Paul Power; moments of headlessness but absolutely relentless & he has PACE.

Helan has frustrated me more often than not in the past.As a winger I always felt he had evrything and showed almost nothing so maye it's full back he will come through.Or maybe it's a double bluff and he will do a Bale and be a winger after all.The key for me is aggression.He needs to be aggressive and to be fair I have seen a little of that of late in training.If he stays aggressive both in terms of pure effort and the positivity it brings to his play he has a chance.

I didnt see the game but I am a bit surprised Evans has received glowing reports.Some anyway.When I have seen him in under 18's( not recently I admit) he has looked nothing special so maybe he is blossoming as well

I thought he did a nice Gareth Barry impersonation in the rags game.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Previous

Return to Training Reports