Training Wednesday 15/2

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Wednesday 15/2

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm

I wasnt going to go today but the weather was so nice and I made a last minute dash.Almost tropical and very busy too as it was open house for the press to watch some training as they get to do pre all euro matches.The good mood from yesterday was carried on.Plenty of laughter and banter as they went through all the early routines and stretches.

No CT of course but maybe he will be working through the afternoon and the rest of the week to try and regain his fitness.It was a full squad otherwise apart from the Toures who were flying direct to Porto.A mixture of games followed and as usual Nigel got on the scoresheet a couple of times to take his team to victory.When the game switched to the small nets which Nigel likes so much the players sprinted across to where Brian Kidd would release the ball for the game. Trouble is he let the players get a bit too close as he threw the ball in and it flew back at him off either Lescott or Clichy and smacked into his crown jewels. Like the pro he is he showed no pain,or at least not till a few minutes later:)

Then onto the game and Vinnie against Mario was always going to be a good watch.Not always one way either and Vinnie had to resort to taking him out at times to stop him getting past. On one such occasion Mario got the foul but bounced straight back up to run on and score.Still smiling though when the free kick stood.Kolarov lined up to take it with the wall ( 2 players) standing about 4 yards away. Joe Hart shouting " knock him over" as the piledriver smashed into Nigel's rear.Another hospital job had it been me but Nigel just jumped up and down a bit laughing away.

Shortly after, Kolarov got the first goal moving onto a pass from Silva and then to finish it off there was a 2 on one situation and Kolarov found Barry to score the 2nd. The space in the centre was made by Mario taking Vinnie away.Razak played as a wide right player in the game and Mancini was placed on his side and regularly giving him advice on his positioning,when to overlap,when to get in at the back post etc.At the other end Joe was in good form and even better voice.So loud and it must be good for the defenders in front of him.I guess those who sit near the front behind the goals at matches will know all about it.

After the game a bunch stayed out for some shooting and Joe decided to have some fun taking the mickey out of some of the attempts. Kicking or kneeing the ball away and shouting prego each time he saved it.It really was funny as AJ/Mario and Clichy/Nigel and Pizarro/Kolarov just couldnt score.Until eventually Pizarro fizzed one across him and right into the corner and the entertainment ended.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Wednesday 15/2

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Thanks Doug.

Interesting Bob was taking such an interest in Razak. I wonder if he's going to give him a game in the Europa ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby getdressedmctavish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Two things always stand out for me from your training reports, Doug. First, Kolarov is much more involved attacking and scoring than Clichy. This mirrors my disappointment at Clichy's final third contributions generally. The second is how Nige is always involved attacking and often scoring. Would you agree that he has done himself no favours by narrowing his role down to playing crab football in the Prem. IMO he is better than that. Mancini clearly wants more from his midfield. I believe Nigel could have given it and if he had might have been one of our lynchpins rather than a now and again player. What do you think.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:33 pm

When I looked at the stats re Clichy compared to all the top PL fullbacks, it suggested I'd been watching completely the wrong player, as he was amongst the worst going forward & one of the best in all aspects defensively, the opposite of my impression.

Nige did seem to be more of an alrounder before he came to City.

Sorry, over to you Doug.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Thanks Doug.

Interesting Bob was taking such an interest in Razak. I wonder if he's going to give him a game in the Europa ?

Today I was very close the touchline where Mancini was standing so I could hear clearer what was going on from the coaches nearby.I would expect similar stuff goes on all the time which I don't hear. I think Razak has played the wide right role before in training but I just got a different insight today.
I hope we are going for a strong team tomorrow which I guess would mean Razak on the bench at best.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:01 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:Two things always stand out for me from your training reports, Doug. First, Kolarov is much more involved attacking and scoring than Clichy. This mirrors my disappointment at Clichy's final third contributions generally. The second is how Nige is always involved attacking and often scoring. Would you agree that he has done himself no favours by narrowing his role down to playing crab football in the Prem. IMO he is better than that. Mancini clearly wants more from his midfield. I believe Nigel could have given it and if he had might have been one of our lynchpins rather than a now and again player. What do you think.

It's obviously very different in a prem game compared to these training games on half a pitch but there is no doubt that Kolarov likes to attack on not just in wide positions.I think he loves to bear down on the keeper from an inside left line and he does plenty of it working well with Barry and Silva.

Clichy does also like to get forward but he is much more in the orthadox overlapping role seeking to find the perfect crosses.As for Nigel it is only in the small nets game where he goes on the attack and sets out score goals just as Micah does when it's headed goals only allowed.When we get into the "proper" game to finish sessions off they both revert to their normal roles.I wouldnt say Nigel has done himself no favours as he is one of the best in the world at the defensive role. I do believe there could be more to his game but if he is asked to sit and stopp attacks against us then that's what he does.

Saying that I do think the boss might well be looking for a little more attacking passes from him and maybe even the odd surge forward.After all we have enough intelligence in the team to see if Nigel makes a break and give the necessary cover.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby getdressedmctavish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Interesting Doug and Ted. I was in the camp of always Cliche over Kolorov, he's obviously quicker.But I 'm now starting to doubt Cliche's game a bit, both defensively but more so offensively. Neat and tidy but does he achieve much. With Nige I keep seeing glimses of the player he could be if he would reinvent himself.I think a lot of teams are giving up on the holding mf, atleast for the majority of games, and going for greater flexibility.Personally I dont think its a matter of what Mancini asks for but what Nige chooses to do. Not much good at being the best in the world at something nobody wants, else we'd all be rich,lol. We dont have a problem restricting teams most of the time, our problem is opening them up, and, as Doug says, a surprise surge from Nige might do that.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:02 pm

I don't doubt Cliche or Kolarov, they are both good at what they do.

Anyway, sounded a very fun day Doug, always good to hear spirits are high.

Was there any mention of Tevez from anyone Doug?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Give me clichy over kolorov any day. Bring kolorov and dzeko on if we need a plan b. Other than that, leave kolorov on the bench. I spend most of my time calling him various different names, none of which were given to him at birth.
Original Dub

Postby phips » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:37 pm

I dont see whats with the hate for Clichy. He's a fantastic defender and people on here claim he's the best LB in the prem. Yes, he's not as attack minded as Kolarov but he's way better defensively and I'd rather sacrifice the offense on the left in order to get Clichy's speed and defense.

Razak is going out on loan after the Europa game right?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 pm

It would be good to see some stats on Clichy and Kolarov regarding crosses made and how many were connected with. I know that doesn't tell everything e.g. if it's a good clearance from a defender or if the forward doesn't move, but it would be useful to know if people's perceptions are right.

With Bridge I could see he was pants defending but at least he got forward. Then that stat appeared that he hadn't found a City player with a cross all season.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby mr_nool » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Original Dub wrote:Give me clichy over kolorov any day. Bring kolorov and dzeko on if we need a plan b. Other than that, leave kolorov on the bench. I spend most of my time calling him various different names, none of which were given to him at birth.

Alec, Alex, Axe, Xander, Andy, Kolo, Kolly?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I don't doubt Cliche or Kolarov, they are both good at what they do.

Twas fun.Mention of Tevez...I just cant seem to remember anything said about him :)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:46 pm

Original Dub wrote:Give me clichy over kolorov any day. Bring kolorov and dzeko on if we need a plan b. Other than that, leave kolorov on the bench. I spend most of my time calling him various different names, none of which were given to him at birth.

combine kolarov and clichy's best bits and we'd have the perfect left back...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Thanks Doug.

Today I was very close the touchline where Mancini was standing so I could hear clearer what was going on from the coaches nearby.I would expect similar stuff goes on all the time which I don't hear. I think Razak has played the wide right role before in training but I just got a different insight today.
I hope we are going for a strong team tomorrow which I guess would mean Razak on the bench at best.
Cheers for the update on Razak Doug, I thought he was ineligible for Europe though. I don't think he made the squad because he hasn't been 3 years at the club and there was no room for him otherwise.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I don't doubt Cliche or Kolarov, they are both good at what they do.

Twas fun.Mention of Tevez...I just cant seem to remember anything said about him :)

Bugger, not even a PM!

I'll just have to keep reading.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Return to Training Reports