Training Friday 24/2

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Friday 24/2

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Back at Carrington in the rain and a very full house in the dug out.Alongside me and Neil were a group of prizewinners from the Arab Emirates followed everywhere by a camara watching their every move plus a few Italians who were clearly good friends of Roberto.At least one of them played with him.

20 players on show in the new training gear including Carlos which would have pleased the photographers who had positioned themselves in the trees to get pictures as they came out of the boot room!They really looked desperate and a few moved around to get what they could from the full training session.One of them with extra long ladders to get the best view.As they started Kolarov passed over an extra pair of boots which we put in the dug out.They are so light it's ridiculous!

Mario came out smiling,took one of the poles out of the ground (no jokes please) and threatened a full javelin throw,Carlos changed his boot( probably a photo op for many) and they all went off for a jog and keep ball circle work 200+ yards away.Even from that distance there was plenty of noise ,roars of laughter as they enjoyed what they were doing.

Then into that passing game with poles to score through as long as everyone in the team was in the attacking half.Nigel claimed a goal as he shot wide from just in front of us.Cheeky sod he is as his big smile gave away! Carlos did score one,quickly followed by Vinnie from some good work from AJ then Edin finished it off.More fitness exercises followed where they were split into Wednesday's team and the rest before that team went inside.They didnt need a "full" game at the end of today's session.A team from the EDS came over to fill in the numbers.Whilst this was being sorted Mario had a little session in goal against Joe.Sadly nothing was on target that I saw.

Benali ,Tse,Scapuzzi ,Filipo Mancini ,Suarez ,Roman,Bunn, MJ ,Wabara all involved.An early goal from Bunn was disallowed for off side,Edin almost scored with a backheel but a combination of Zaba and Costel saved,then Costel saved again from Edin.The 1st goal came from Roman and was quickly followed by one from Scapuzzi who just knocked in a loose ball.

Milner sent over a great cross,which even got praise from the boss,and Roman hit the post from it.Great praise though for Stu Taylor who got a touch on it.Two quick goals then from Edin equalled the scoring.The 1st a header from a Mancini cross and then a sublime through ball( like Yaya's on wednesday)from Pizarro for Edin to run onto.Kidd announced it was golden goal time.Mario got annoyed when he was penalised for 3 touches in the defensive half ( shame as it was great tracking back),Kolarov went into a crunching tackle ( not his first) before that man Carlos scored the winner.

That was the end, as most went in and Mario launched a ball into orbit .3 stayed for some shooting practice.CT,JM and AJ.I would have to say CT was very good as was AJ and on this occasion JM coming 3rd which is unusual.I forgot Pizarro also stayed out but he was just assisting with the feeds for the shooting practice.

In answer to the questions Carlos was just one of 20 out there training today.He wasn't special but did a good session.Looked reasonably fit to me but might have been carrying an extra pound
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Friday 24/2

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks Doug, May I boo Carlos's goal Boo. Thanks I feel a whole lot better now.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby john@staustell » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
In answer to the questions Carlos was just one of 20 out there training today.He wasn't special but did a good session.Looked reasonably fit to me but might have been carrying an extra pound

Here's him and his missus...........................

“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Mr H.

Excellent report, as per usual. Congratulations to you on that.

On a previous training report, I asked a question about Pizarro and, in response, you said you didn't really think he would feature very often for us in the first team. However, in the several sessions since that time, have you seen anything (including the short spell the other night against Porto) which might make you change or reconsider your previous assessment ??

I don't wish to bore you with regard to this player but, in spite of his age, I'd love to see Andrea Pirlo in City's colours as he would really suit and enhance our style. However, since this never going to happen, I'm desperately hoping Pizarro can be the one who fits into the 'Pirlo role' as a second best, relatively inexpensive solution.

On that basis, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Hi Mr H.

Excellent report, as per usual. Congratulations to you on that.

On a previous training report, I asked a question about Pizarro and, in response, you said you didn't really think he would feature very often for us in the first team. However, in the several sessions since that time, have you seen anything (including the short spell the other night against Porto) which might make you change or reconsider your previous assessment ??

I don't wish to bore you with regard to this player but, in spite of his age, I'd love to see Andrea Pirlo in City's colours as he would really suit and enhance our style. However, since this never going to happen, I'm desperately hoping Pizarro can be the one who fits into the 'Pirlo role' as a second best, relatively inexpensive solution.

On that basis, I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Our midfield players are Barry,Nigel,Yaya,Silva,Nasri,Milner,Pizarro and maybe AJ depending on how you think of him.Without doubt Yaya and Silva will play every game assuming they are fit.Who else plays will depend on the formation Mancini decides on but it often will be just 2 more in midfield.Based on that I would still see it as unlikely that Pizarro would start a game but we have seen in the 2 sub appearances that he can be very effective.

Perhaps Nasri also because of the fluidity he brings to the team is also a starter more often than not.How good he is in the premiership we don't know as yet but with his experience and obvious quality I don't think he would have any problems.Unlikely to start but it wouldnt surprise me or worry me.We might even take up the option to buy him but still I see the situation that he might not get many starts in the prem but be great to have in reserve.A bit like PV when we got him.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 pm

How'd Micah look after his injury scare on Wed?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:39 pm

phips wrote:How'd Micah look after his injury scare on Wed?

If I hadnt seen the game I would have wondered what you were talking about! No signs of anything wrong at all.Full of life and energy.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john68 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:03 am

Everytime I watch clips of City training at Carrington, I ignore the players and engage in a game of "SPOT THE DOUG"
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:17 am

john68 wrote:Everytime I watch clips of City training at Carrington, I ignore the players and engage in a game of "SPOT THE DOUG"

But do you have any success? And what are you doing up so early?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:26 am

phips wrote:How'd Micah look after his injury scare on Wed?

Have you not noticed that Micah has hurt his knee in every single game he has played for City throughout his career?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby john68 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
john68 wrote:Everytime I watch clips of City training at Carrington, I ignore the players and engage in a game of "SPOT THE DOUG"

But do you have any success? And what are you doing up so early?

Not yet Doug but still looking and will let you know.
Not up early Doug...been working and having a brew and a browse before going to bed.
The piss cans in Town seem to stay out later and later.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Return to Training Reports