EDS Training Monday 27/2

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

EDS Training Monday 27/2

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Went along to see the EDS boys train today with Carlos joining in.No Joan Roman (so I assume the Palace rumours are true) and also Cole and Helan missing out on full training although both were working with physios and look close to full fitness.All the other expected players plus a young schoolboy called Jack Burns.

First thing to say is that it was basically the same exercises and routines as with the first team but just minus the superstars at every turn.Jogs and exercises followed by keep ball circles where Suarez was welcomed with a deflected ball full in the face. Meppen Walters suffered the ignominy of a double nutmeg much to the amusement of the group.Generally the spirit seemed good although they weren't as noisy as what I am used to.CT was wearing a GPS thing along with a few of the other 18 on show.Hargreaves was also out but working separately.

Into a passing game which I see plenty of and I suppose the immediate difference for me was that it was Andy Welsh in the middle conducting affairs and I could hear his voice clearer than I can hear Mancini's. The focus being on quick passing,plenty of movement and always on the look out to switch/stretch the play rather than get trapped.The touch of the players was good but I have to say a bit too often not quite good enough.Again I am comparing them to the first team squad. One of the best in this session I thought was Ahmed Benali and it's rumoured he might be on the way!

After this and more stretching and a drink it was onto the game. CT was in a team with Suarez,Scapuzzi,Drury and Benali and had MJ at centre back. But they were against a defence with Gunn in goal and a back line of Wabara,Kennedy,Tse and Meppen-Walters.In the first 15 seconds CT hit the post witrh a left footer and then it was:

Filipo Mancini going close
Rusnak scored a tap in from a Mancini pass
CT brought a great save from Gunn
Jak Burns (playing for both sides) scored from 18 yards
CT hit a post
Evans smacked in a 20 yarder
CT went very close again but the keeper blocked
Suarez hit a post
Best move of the match released a full back but Drury missed the chance
Bunn scored with a strong right footer( doesnt he always)
CT set up a tap in for Suarez
CT very close with an overhead kick
Wabara was defending well against Suarez
CT close again after good link up with Suarez,the keeper stood up well and blocked with his shoulder
MJ was doing most things well at centre back
CT finally scored with a good assist from Benali
CT had one kicked off the line
young full back called Sadiq looked quite good (don't know full name)

That was about that. After a full team debrief Andy Welsh had a quick chat with Carlos who then went away with a physio for some one to one work.Andy Welsh is smaller than Carlos! All in all an interesting session. On eof the things some of the defenders have to learn is when to go close and attack their man and when to just hold off.Especially when that player is as good as CT.Also for the wide defenders it's all about when to attack or just hold their defensive role.A few times too often I thought they made wrong decsions and they can so easily get found out.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: EDS Training Monday 27/2

Postby ant london » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks for that Doug.....very interesting to get a snippet of this session.

What's your view on Rusnak....there have been quite a few bits of highlights on the OS recently where he's looked pretty handy.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:34 pm

ant london wrote:Thanks for that Doug.....very interesting to get a snippet of this session.

What's your view on Rusnak....there have been quite a few bits of highlights on the OS recently where he's looked pretty handy.

I have seen quite a bit of him and recently thought how much he had come on from the little boy I first remembered seeing.Tons of quality and scores goals.Has some bottle too as he scored a pen on Saturday after having missed one or two this season.But i was dissapointed in him in the recent Youth Cup game v Fulham. Mainly because he couldnt get into the game and I have noticed that on occasion.

Overall though he is a prospect with a good touch and good vision.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:38 pm

'CT was wearing a GPS thing'

Is that so they can track the cunt down if he does one again ?

(Cheers for the report Doug)
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby 13021J » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Doug will you get in to see the Preston game tomorrow?
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Dubciteh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
ant london wrote:Thanks for that Doug.....very interesting to get a snippet of this session.

I have seen quite a bit of him and recently thought how much he had come on from the little boy I first remembered seeing.Tons of quality and scores goals.Has some bottle too as he scored a pen on Saturday after having missed one or two this season.But i was dissapointed in him in the recent Youth Cup game v Fulham. Mainly because he couldnt get into the game and I have noticed that on occasion.

Overall though he is a prospect with a good touch and good vision.

Ruznak the right midfielder who captains youth team?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby ant london » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Dubciteh wrote:

He was the lad who we signed just before the squad went out for that trip to Abu Dhabi and they did some kind of City skills video of him running through the palace grounds wasn't he?

(and yes I think he is re youth team!)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:56 pm

ant london wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

He was the lad who we signed just before the squad went out for that trip to Abu Dhabi and they did some kind of City skills video of him running through the palace grounds wasn't he?

(and yes I think he is re youth team!)

That's the one.He has been a key player in the under 18's but I think it was Adam Drury (who is 100% a wide right midfield player) who recently captained the under 18's.Paul Clowes has been the captain of that side quite a lot and he's just been released!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:58 pm

13021J wrote:Doug will you get in to see the Preston game tomorrow?

Hope so. I asked today and the answer was "I don't see why not"!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dawnherts » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Reece Wabera has tweeted that CT playing in Preston game tomorrow....
Dawnherts
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchestet City
My favourite player is: All of them!

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Dawnherts wrote:Reece Wabera has tweeted that CT playing in Preston game tomorrow....

Naughty boy should not be doing that
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby 13021J » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Dawnherts wrote:Reece Wabera has tweeted that CT playing in Preston game tomorrow....

Hardly breaking news?
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby john68 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:50 am

No probs on the CT appearance Doug. It wasopenly publicised in the press that he was playing and that the game had been transferred to Carrington because of worries about the Chorley pitch. Also mentioned it was behind closed doors.

Don't think the kid tweeted anything that wasn't public knowledge Mate.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:44 am

john68 wrote:No probs on the CT appearance Doug. It wasopenly publicised in the press that he was playing and that the game had been transferred to Carrington because of worries about the Chorley pitch. Also mentioned it was behind closed doors.

Don't think the kid tweeted anything that wasn't public knowledge Mate.

I think there was confirmation if not intense speculation from the press but I also know the players are under instructions not to divulge info re teams on Twitter. That's about their own selection never mind others. How strictly such a rule will be enforced I have no idea.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby 13021J » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:24 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
I think there was confirmation if not intense speculation from the press but I also know the players are under instructions not to divulge info re teams on Twitter. That's about their own selection never mind others. How strictly such a rule will be enforced I have no idea.

Footballers have no right being on Twitter it's never ends well and must be a real distraction
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby twosips » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Give over!

They have every right. If they want to be stupid enough to say something then let them! I find it intriguing. Shows the players true colours.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Return to Training Reports