Training Wednesday 7/3

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Wednesday 7/3

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Classic British weather today.Cold when I arrived with quite a strong wind making it feel bitter,then the rain arrived and in no time the sun came out and it was springtime.The players were calling for gloves and extra layer and then throwing gear all over the place.I think they should enjoy Lisbon where they are staying for an extra day before returning straight to Cardiff on Saturday.

Photo opportunity day today for the press.There werent many at the start but the numbers grew to about a dozen by the end.The players had jogged away and were doing keep ball circles at a good distance from the cameras and I was just glad to be in a dug out sheltered from the wind and rain.They went through some of the usual games to get going and a stunning Aguero goal in the small nets,drilled low from a 20 yard angle ,was the highlight.

A few mores exercises followed before the game at the end which seemed to start in a very calm quiet way compared to the usual intensity I see. But then it got going with Joe in great action saving first from Sergio and then Silva.Kolarov thought he had a pen when Kolo brought him down but despite intimidation from Yaya,Lombardo only gave a free kick.Then from driving rain it changed to a sunny day and the game really picked up.

Still defences were on top and one tussle between Lescott and Dzeko was immense with Joleon just winning this one.Joe saved superbly from Sergio again,this time with his feet before Silva hit the post and again I think Joe got a hand to it. As the game was picking up Nigel took out Sergio,Joleon took Gael but both just about survived in tact.

Finally Milner scored from a loose ball,despite loud offside appeals.Barry just missed after a lighting break down the right (ok fairly quick break). Mario just missed Edin with a pass when he was clear,then he scored but was given offside.Sergio got his own back on Nigel before Nasri made a great break to finish first time to make it 1.1. Golden goal time now and Mario went close twice and had a good effort saved.It seemed inevitable that he would score and he did at the near post with a flick from a Clichy cross.

That ended it all and in they went.22 degrees in Lisbon so they will enjoy that.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Wednesday 7/3

Postby blues-clues » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Cheers Doug.

Are you flying out with the squad or are you having to make your own arrangements so that you can report on training from Portugal?
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:13 pm

blues-clues wrote:Cheers Doug.

Are you flying out with the squad or are you having to make your own arrangements so that you can report on training from Portugal?

As it happens I was asked if I would be reporting on training from Lisbon. When I asked about my seat on the plane it all went quiet.It's a few days off for me till Tuesday next week.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Chinners » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Ha ha, good work as usual Doug

The "Get Doug a plane ticket" campaign has now been launched forthwith ....
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby spiny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Doug

What has intrigued me is how the teams are chosen for training games? Any insights as to the process? Preplanned or what?
spiny
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Sergio Agüero

Postby freshie » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:48 pm

Great read as usual Doug! Your reports are quite detailed so I just wanted to know do you take notes during training or are your reports based on what you remember?
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby bobby brows » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Cheers Doug

I'm sure if you monogrammed your City training jacket you'd walk straight onto that plane!
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bobby brows » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Just Checked ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-12-Manches ... 19cdee0a2c

Could you pass yourself off as Stuart Taylor?
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:33 pm

freshie wrote:Great read as usual Doug! Your reports are quite detailed so I just wanted to know do you take notes during training or are your reports based on what you remember?

I have recently started to make shorthand notes and hope I can recall what the few words meant.Better than the announcer at Hyde last night who announced our reserve keeper had come on to replace one of our attacking players and that Meppen-Walter had scored when it was actually Wabara.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 pm

spiny wrote:Doug

What has intrigued me is how the teams are chosen for training games? Any insights as to the process? Preplanned or what?

If there is a plan to it I don't know what it is.It certainly doesnt seem to give insights into what the team will be in the next match.
I was sure I watched Vinnie and Lescott doing scissors/paper/stone the other day to decide who wore a bib!

From memory I don't recall those two playing together very often.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Invisible Man Fan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
I have recently started to make shorthand notes and hope I can recall what the few words meant.Better than the announcer at Hyde last night who announced our reserve keeper had come on to replace one of our attacking players and that Meppen-Walter had scored when it was actually Wabara.

I couldn't help but laugh at him last night. You would have thought that he would have practiced the names before announcing them.
Invisible Man Fan
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: City!!
My favourite player is: Alan

Postby phips » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Was micah fully involved? how did he look after his injury?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:48 pm

phips wrote:Was micah fully involved? how did he look after his injury?

Micah was in typically bubbly mood and looking good.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Invisible Man Fan wrote:

I couldn't help but laugh at him last night. You would have thought that he would have practiced the names before announcing them.

His excuse was that he was talking with Bernard Halford's wife and lost concentration :)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Duckman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:51 pm

cmon dougie just admit it.
private dick/family man
Duckman
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva, Kompany, Yaya

Postby spiny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:21 pm

I was sure I watched Vinnie and Lescott doing scissors/paper/stone the other day to decide who wore a bib!

The old methods still in place. Which begs the question who are first and last to be picked? lol
spiny
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: Sergio Agüero

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:24 am

spiny wrote:

The old methods still in place. Which begs the question who are first and last to be picked? lol

Mancini's son or Savic would be last for def! Silva 1st id say as id imagine yaya isnt as effective on small pitches as he is on big pitches?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 am

If Mancini's son is in the group I assume you are including all the EDS players so how the hell is Savic close to last?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:If Mancini's son is in the group I assume you are including all the EDS players so how the hell is Savic close to last?

No my point was if its just 1st teamers its savic but if eds mancini, get me?
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:If Mancini's son is in the group I assume you are including all the EDS players so how the hell is Savic close to last?

No my point was if its just 1st teamers its savic but if eds mancini, get me?

Get you sort of. But if I had to chose last from the EDS I would go for the drinks trolley to play left wing before .....
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to Training Reports