Training Wednesday 4/4

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Wednesday 4/4

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Hypothermia time at Carrington today.It was the strong breeze that made it so cold and for some of those watching with me must have been suffering.But the good news was the full squad was training today. Aguero and Nasri not in everything but good to see them involved outside and very positive they will be ok for weekend.Micah looked fine after going off at half time on Saturday and Lescott fully involved for the first time for a while ( the Lemsip must have worked!)

Not just crowded on the field with 21 players but also in reception when I arrived with up to 16 people in there at one time.To indicate how small the reception is there is seating for 6! One of the players arrived as I did so had about 10 minutes to get ready and out.Heavy traffic was the excuse to maybe avoid a fine :)

After 3 days off there was a little more warm up work done than usual before Mancini took a team away to another pitch leaving the rest to play in 2 teams in a passing keep ball session in a smallish area.As usual Mancini swapped the groups around to work on the same things with everyone and it was all about possession,quick passing and movement.Nasri and Aguero not involved in either but just working away with Ivan Carminati.Even in what wasn't really a majorly competitive routine it seemed clear that this wasnt just a first day back gentle session.Vinnie on Joleon, Barry on Zaba made that clear.They were not taking prisoners:)

Then into a game where bot sides were aiming to release runners into an end zone which both teams did well.Good to see some of the movement as players were found:Silva,AJ x2,Mario,Clichy,Zaba,Micah,Nigel and Edin with Mancini taking a very close interest and often having words with individuals.Some strong physical stuff in this as well.I was very close to the touchline to see how physical you have to be at this level to win balls and especially to withstand many challenges.

There was one cameraman doing his bit over the fence where the curtain was down and despite being asked to leave just ignored the request as the 11 a side game on half a pitch started.Dennis Suarez came over to make the numbers up.It all started with great intensity as well. Vinnie cleared a corner but his header was ever so close to an OG.Zaba stopped AJ in his tracks and wasnt shy at giving him some verbals.

Tevex was working hard and doing some great tracking back,Joleon looking like the quality defender he is with a great block on the ball and then on a player.Mario gave silly foul away tracking back,Costel saved well from Tevez,Mario missed an open goal with a header from a Tevez cross, before the first goal came from a Clichy piledriver.Bit like Kolarovs on Saturday as Tevez just laid the ball into his path to run on and smash it low.

Suarez missed a good chance,Edin got up to a header in challenge with Vinnie and headed over,there was a magical moment from Silva as he controlled and turned in one movement and lost 3 players,Savic got one in the crown jewels,Milner hit one inches wide.Plenty of quality on view,lots a real effort going in and as I said for the first day back after a few days a really good session.

It ended with just that one goal and a few penalties were taken before they all went in. Mario scored a couple (2 from 2) Lescott plus Vinnie and Nigel also scoring.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Wednesday 4/4

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Took your bloody time ;-)

I hope you were well wrapped up pal.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Took your bloody time ;-)

But it only started at 3 and finished 4.45! Didn't I mention that :)

Just the fingers were turning a bit blue.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

No, you bleeding didn't ;-)

Good to see Lescott fully at it and I bet we're all hoping for Aguero and Nasri back in the squad. I wonder though, who was this person rushing through reception; was he getting himself dressed at the time, zipping up his fly?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:20 pm

Hmm, sounds a bit like Silva was up for it & I've just dropped him on the other thread..

May have to rethink.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Good to see Lescott fully at it and I bet we're all hoping for Aguero and Nasri back in the squad. I wonder though, who was this person rushing through reception; was he getting himself dressed at the time, zipping up his fly?

As if I would drop a player in it! And no it wasn't him.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Ha ha ha, good work Doug. Seriously though, what do you reckon the chances are of Lescott starting on Sunday or are you more inclined to think Kolo and Vince will be the CB pairing?

Edit: Another question Doug, if you don't mind. From what you see at training, in your judgement does Mancini let the squad know who is going to be playing just before the game or at Carrington prior?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Since 76 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Doug,

How often can you relate what you see in training to the next game?

I made the comment after the Sunderland game that they looked like they'd never trained together, but can you see the moves? You also often mention that they've trained on something specific during the week, so again, can you see this in a game or a change in the way we play the following week?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Ha ha ha, good work Doug. Seriously though, what do you reckon the chances are of Lescott starting on Sunday or are you more inclined to think Kolo and Vince will be the CB pairing?

Edit: Another question Doug, if you don't mind. From what you see at training, in your judgement does Mancini let the squad know who is going to be playing just before the game or at Carrington prior?

I thought Lescott looked good today but there again I thought Vinnie looked good before the Sunderland game.Vinnie wasnt at his best on Saturday and I just wonder whether that was down to not being really match fit after the lay off.My worry would therefore be the same with Joleon. BUT Joleon will have been back in full training for longer and assuming nothing happens I would expect the 2 to be back together.

Don't know when they know for sure but I would be surprised if it wasnt the day before.Didnt Nigel come out recently the day before a game to say he wasnt playing?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Doug,

How often can you relate what you see in training to the next game?

I made the comment after the Sunderland game that they looked like they'd never trained together, but can you see the moves? You also often mention that they've trained on something specific during the week, so again, can you see this in a game or a change in the way we play the following week?

That's a good but crazy question.Last week I watched them train and there was a lot of emphasis on a quick tempo when attacking and yet agaisnt Sunderland it was just so slow building up.That has happened many times where they will work on movements,slick passing to release a runner wide but it then doesnt show the next game.

One difference in the game to the practice is of course the opposition.There isnt any in the practice! I think I have said before that the tactical stuff they do,the attacking plays are planned and played without a defence or midfield to get in the way.On corners its different and I have seen different things tried and regularly see them happen in games and that includes defending corners where we leave players up and look to break at pace.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Nice write up.

So there's quite a few questions posed to Doug thus far but I thought I'd ask another.
With all these claims of Mancini over-working the players in practice does it look that way to you?
I know it could just be media garbage but Im curious.

Also, does it look like Mancini is working on the squad's shape and having them maintain it in the match?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:43 pm

phips wrote:Nice write up.

So there's quite a few questions posed to Doug thus far but I thought I'd ask another.
With all these claims of Mancini over-working the players in practice does it look that way to you?
I know it could just be media garbage but Im curious.

Also, does it look like Mancini is working on the squad's shape and having them maintain it in the match?

What claims that he is over-working the players? I think it might have been mentioned just after he took over but even then it was crap and it's total nonsense now.

Mancini majored on team shape from the moment he came and he goes back to work on it if he ever feels it's not happening in matches.There was some clear evidence he was back at it today.One of the things he did was at the end of an attacking play he would shout at them to immediately to get back into shape as if the ball had suddenly been played to a given part of the field.He was looking for immediate recation from every player,even if one had just crossed and the other finished it off.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:25 pm

phips wrote:Also, does it look like Mancini is working on the squad's shape and having them maintain it in the match?

There was some clear evidence he was back at it today.One of the things he did was at the end of an attacking play he would shout at them to immediately to get back into shape as if the ball had suddenly been played to a given part of the field.He was looking for immediate recation from every player,even if one had just crossed and the other finished it off.

I see, thanks.
Glad that he's drilling that players get back into the shape when a ball is played somewhere.
I feel like losing our shape has been a big issue that's been causing us some problems.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:17 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:.

One difference in the game to the practice is of course the opposition.There isnt any in the practice!.

I think we've narrowed down what's gone wrong since Xmas - they're confused when playing a game as there are people in fully coloured shirts getting in the way all the time.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bluedj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:34 am

Doug reading your reports, it seems Tevez is becoming more of a "Team" player with excellent lay offs, last year he was shooting with every opportunity. How good does he look in the training sessions now and do you think he may start against Arsenal?
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:36 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:.

One difference in the game to the practice is of course the opposition.There isnt any in the practice!.

I think we've narrowed down what's gone wrong since Xmas - they're confused when playing a game as there are people in fully coloured shirts getting in the way all the time.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:51 am

Ted Hughes wrote:

Are you the one pointing or the other one?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:55 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Are you the one pointing or the other one?

I'm at the bar.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Return to Training Reports