Training Saturday 7/4

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Saturday 7/4

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Decided to go along at the last minute today and some of the players were already out. I was getting to the pitch behind Kolo and he stopped to shake my hand and say hello. Nice guy. Plenty of laughter around and everyone in great spirit and good to see the full squad out again.

That's good isn't it? I guess some reporter being might say that they clearly don't care as they were having a laugh.Even David Platt saw me at one point and took up his batting stance to play a stroke obviously remembering me with my cricket hat last week.Looked more like he was having a stroke than playing one.

Mancini got them all together for the initial briefing which was a bit longer today than usual and he seemed a little more animated than usual with plenty of hand gestures.Then off to do all sorts of warm up exercises followed by keep ball circles.Fairly gentle stuff and surprisingly quiet but it did start to warm up.After that into the 2 games they often play on the day before a game.The small nets where Nigel always scores and the headers only into the big nets where Micah always scores. This time Lescott did a job on both and neither of them scored!

Gareth Barry did though in both and apart from him Mario was closest heading onto the bar.Tevez got a knock which was a worry for a while but he was fine.More exercises and drinks while the keepers were called over for the final game.Mario had a go in goal while they waited.He isnt a natural keeper for sure.

12 v 11 as all 21 took part and quickly Mario sidefooted home from a Milner pull back but the ball had already gone out (Nigel said so!) Hargreaves had a header which smacked into Kolarov at very close range.He hardly flinched! Micah hit a screamer which Massive parried and Joe could be heard from the other end screaming " oooooh Richards".Another Massive save and then a collision between Tevez and Kolarov.More Kolarov going through with a challenge and clattering Carlos to the floor. Not a happy bunny wasnt Carlos.

Seconds later a 50/50 bouncing ball saw the 2 of them come together in a clash of heads or maybe faces!Both down and seemingly out as the doc ran over.First up was Kolarov (not a surprise) with some blood from his mouth I think and then Carlos managed to get up but was fine and great to see the pair of them shaking hands and just getting on with it.The Golden Goal shout came up and the intensity got higher.

DP got flattened by a ball in the head,Massive saved superbly from Nasri and then after a defensive slip Kolarov got free to cross low across the 6 yard box for Mario to nonchalantly tap it in.Joe ,never happy to let on in,found a ball and launched it into Sale.That was that but again a bunch stayed out for shooting practice and quite a few others just sat down to watch and barrack.Mario started it off with a pen (of course he scored) before he went to the side to spend some time with Mancini who was coaching him on some specific issues about receiving passes under real pressure from behind.

Aguero hasnt always stayed for shooting practice but did today and his first went perfectly into the top corner from 20 yards and out came that cheeky smile to the watching players. Carlos' first was very similar, AJ was again hitting some screamers and while all this was going on Clichy was working with Fausto on a few attacking movements.

Not a long session today but all good and for me enjoyable to watch. Does this all mean they will hit the ground running tomorrow? I sure as hell hope so.I have no doubt the importance of doing so will have been talked about but only time will tell.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Saturday 7/4

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Like you I'm hoping it sinks in what's needed from now until the end of the season. Some backbone and determination is what I want to see. Hopefully with Lescott now, and Vince, ready for a start, our defence will be very hard to breach and with the return of Sergio and Nasri then my hopes for tomorrow and the rest of the season have taken a 'Massive' upturn.

Cheers Doug, I've got a smile on my face today. Amazing what a report can do for you.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Crossie » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:22 pm

I've noticed before that Kolarov is quite a hard bastard, he doesn't let any opposition player get away with anything thats for sure, apart from crosses from our left side.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Crossie wrote:I've noticed before that Kolarov is quite a hard bastard, he doesn't let any opposition player get away with anything thats for sure, apart from crosses from our left side.

hahaha sadly just that.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ruskin Avenue » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Superb post as per. Thanks. Watching the citytv Carrington session, it looked like park football. Seems like next season has started. But, I'll be on my knees tomorrow. Why not? We've beaten them twice. Why not again?
Ruskin Avenue
Carlo Nash's Debut

My favourite player is: Dennis Tueart

Postby ruralblue » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:30 pm

Brilliant read as always Doug, always looks forward to these as much as Chinners bollox don't say THANK YOU to neither of you enough so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Peace to ya!
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Ruskin Avenue wrote:Superb post as per. Thanks. Watching the citytv Carrington session, it looked like park football. Seems like next season has started. But, I'll be on my knees tomorrow. Why not? We've beaten them twice. Why not again?

I hadnt seen that latest Inside City.I was right behind the camera watching the 6 a side games.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Nice post..glad to hear all 21 were on display today.

Doug, do the players know who you are and that you post training reports online? Or do they just greet and joke
with you because youve been there awhile now?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Biamp » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Cheers Doug, great read. Hopefully they will be up for it.
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:19 pm

phips wrote:Nice post..glad to hear all 21 were on display today.

Doug, do the players know who you are and that you post training reports online? Or do they just greet and joke
with you because youve been there awhile now?

Not really sure about the players but the coaches and the boss know I do these reports.Maybe some might have asked and been told but somehow I doubt it.I am just that strnage guy who is always there:) Just remembered Stu Taylor knows from a conversation a year or so back.

No doubt I was vetted before being allowed inside.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sachaxbeswick » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Yay, Sergio! Such an amazing striker. Do you think he will be okay for tomorrow? And his smile is gorgeous I just love him XD
sachaxbeswick
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: Sergio 'Kun' Aguero

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:26 pm

sachaxbeswick wrote:Yay, Sergio! Such an amazing striker. Do you think he will be okay for tomorrow? And his smile is gorgeous I just love him XD

I 100% expect him to play.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sachaxbeswick » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 pm

That's amazing, so excited for tomorrow! 4pm, you cannot come faster! Thanks doug mate xxx
sachaxbeswick
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

My favourite player is: Sergio 'Kun' Aguero

Postby 1664agreatyear » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:31 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Decided to go along at the last minute today and some of the players were already out. I was getting to the pitch behind Kolo and he stopped to shake my hand and say hello. Nice guy. Plenty of laughter around and everyone in great spirit and good to see the full squad out again.

That's good isn't it? I guess some reporter being might say that they clearly don't care as they were having a laugh.Even David Platt saw me at one point and took up his batting stance to play a stroke obviously remembering me with my cricket hat last week.Looked more like he was having a stroke than playing one.

Mancini got them all together for the initial briefing which was a bit longer today than usual and he seemed a little more animated than usual with plenty of hand gestures.Then off to do all sorts of warm up exercises followed by keep ball circles.Fairly gentle stuff and surprisingly quiet but it did start to warm up.After that into the 2 games they often play on the day before a game.The small nets where Nigel always scores and the headers only into the big nets where Micah always scores. This time Lescott did a job on both and neither of them scored!

Gareth Barry did though in both and apart from him Mario was closest heading onto the bar.Tevez got a knock which was a worry for a while but he was fine.More exercises and drinks while the keepers were called over for the final game.Mario had a go in goal while they waited.He isnt a natural keeper for sure.

12 v 11 as all 21 took part and quickly Mario sidefooted home from a Milner pull back but the ball had already gone out (Nigel said so!) Hargreaves had a header which smacked into Kolarov at very close range.He hardly flinched! Micah hit a screamer which Massive parried and Joe could be heard from the other end screaming " oooooh Richards".Another Massive save and then a collision between Tevez and Kolarov.More Kolarov going through with a challenge and clattering Carlos to the floor. Not a happy bunny wasnt Carlos.

Seconds later a 50/50 bouncing ball saw the 2 of them come together in a clash of heads or maybe faces!Both down and seemingly out as the doc ran over.First up was Kolarov (not a surprise) with some blood from his mouth I think and then Carlos managed to get up but was fine and great to see the pair of them shaking hands and just getting on with it.The Golden Goal shout came up and the intensity got higher.

DP got flattened by a ball in the head,Massive saved superbly from Nasri and then after a defensive slip Kolarov got free to cross low across the 6 yard box for Mario to nonchalantly tap it in.Joe ,never happy to let on in,found a ball and launched it into Sale.That was that but again a bunch stayed out for shooting practice and quite a few others just sat down to watch and barrack.Mario started it off with a pen (of course he scored) before he went to the side to spend some time with Mancini who was coaching him on some specific issues about receiving passes under real pressure from behind.

Aguero hasnt always stayed for shooting practice but did today and his first went perfectly into the top corner from 20 yards and out came that cheeky smile to the watching players. Carlos' first was very similar, AJ was again hitting some screamers and while all this was going on Clichy was working with Fausto on a few attacking movements.

Not a long session today but all good and for me enjoyable to watch. Does this all mean they will hit the ground running tomorrow? I sure as hell hope so.I have no doubt the importance of doing so will have been talked about but only time will tell.
Did Silva pick up a knock ? strange he`s not even on the subs bench today ?
1664agreatyear
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:54 pm

He got a knock Thursday,missed the game part of Friday but was fully involved again on Saturday.Maybe had a reaction to it or they just felt better safe than sorry and he needs a rest
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby 1664agreatyear » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:He got a knock Thursday,missed the game part of Friday but was fully involved again on Saturday.Maybe had a reaction to it or they just felt better safe than sorry and he needs a rest
Thanks for replying
1664agreatyear
Darius Vassell's Composure

Return to Training Reports