Defence

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Defence

Postby Luket85 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Surely the obvious answer is stick to what worked last season. Zaba Vinny Lescott Clichy. Kola is so slow its untrue and although Nastacic is far better than Savic, he needs time. We need points and we need clean sheets fast! We need to push from defence far quicker aswell.
Luket85
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Re: Defence

Postby nicklucas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:17 am

Lescott is not good enough to start for us, he's barely good enough to be at the club. Last season he was ok in a side that defended well as a team but he's not top class, far from it.

We are weak at CB but the main reason we've shipped goals this season is our lack of composure across the park, especially in possession. I expected a hangover of some sort so I'm not prepared to panic this early. Nastasic needs experience and ideally we'd want a top class man in there but he's still a better option than Lescott and is far more comfortable on the ball. Richards is also coming back.

Agree with the 'if it ain't broke' mantra but in this case I think it's time to upgrade.

Other than this the likes of Barry need to be filtered out in favour of a more efficient passing team but we're starting to hit our stride and we'll get there!
nicklucas
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Defence

Postby Moonchesteri » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:53 pm

nicklucas wrote:Lescott is not good enough to start for us, he's barely good enough to be at the club. Last season he was ok in a side that defended well as a team but he's not top class, far from it.

We are weak at CB but the main reason we've shipped goals this season is our lack of composure across the park, especially in possession. I expected a hangover of some sort so I'm not prepared to panic this early. Nastasic needs experience and ideally we'd want a top class man in there but he's still a better option than Lescott and is far more comfortable on the ball. Richards is also coming back.

Agree with the 'if it ain't broke' mantra but in this case I think it's time to upgrade.

Other than this the likes of Barry need to be filtered out in favour of a more efficient passing team but we're starting to hit our stride and we'll get there!

I disagree completely with your post. Basically from start to finish.
Whilst Joleon is not the player to go on a mazy run nor he is the best passer BUT he's definitely one of the most trustworthy defenders in the league. good header of the ball, strong etc. And again imo he has started the season better than Vinny.

And then we go on to Barry. His absence from the team has imo been one of the biggest reason why we've been so unorganized - which has led to us conceding I'm sure. And his absence has meant we've lacked protection for the back four (along with the fact another familiar face NDJ is missing too). We've had young Rodwell there who surely isn't yet familiar how Bobby wants us to play. Defenders didn't get the same protection they're used to which has forced them to try stretch their lines. Same goes for Garcia too.

Also, playing different back four (and constant changing of defensive mids too) surely has had an effect on our defending. In time it will get better as old lads will get more used to the new lads and other way round too.
In an ideal world yes we would replace Lescott with a better player but at the moment imho we are not in a rush to sign new top class CB (or to be more precise we shouldn't pay over the odds for one)
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Return to Training Reports