Training Friday 5/10

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Friday 5/10

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:53 am

It all seemed a little quiet when I arrived at Carrington this morning. No signs of the usual press conference ( apparently it was lumped in with the european one on Tuesday) and even though there was some stuff set out there were no signs of the coaches outside like there usually is. My thinking was that there was a heavy pre training briefing going on inside first but I would expect that happened on Thursday especially based on how Mancini had reacted after the game.

But they came out at 11 and had the usual shortish briefing from the boss before he took all the defenders away for a tactical session leaving the rest to do normal warm up stuff.Just 6 defenders involved and it seemed all about their shape as they moved around under Mancini's watchful eyes.I would definitely say it was a lower key group to start with than I often see.Hard to say whether that's a good thing or not as it's what happens in matches that counts but certainly there was a quieter focus today.

The session started to develop through the keep ball circles and the noise and enjoyment with it. Some I expect will say they are not there to enjoy themselves but simply to work hard and prepare for the next game but really there needs a to be a good balance of both which has always been the case.I would imagine the message will have got through and clearly Mancini was urging them on during the session.

Onto the football with small nets and normal nets with regular changing between 1 and 2 touch,headed goals only (Micah didn't get one this time) and all started off with a handball session led by Peter Crouch.The only headed goal I saw was scored by Scapuzzi so maybe he will start on Saturday.At the end of this the main team from Wednesday went in leaving just enough for a 6 a side game.

Inevitably a load of goals scored but the star for me was clearly Joleon.His first goal was a sweet left foot volley back across the keeper,then another sidefoot volley meeting a long throw in and finally a neat shot when he latched onto a rebound.I say finally but when he broke forward dummied the keeper to take the ball to the byline and set up an easy chance( which was missed) he surpassed himself. Joleon and Scapuzzi up front looks a winner.

Of course one or two from Kolarov but one screamer in off a post from 20 yards was a special one.I said the others went in but Dzeko stayed out to watch whilst chatting to the coaches.Some free kick practice ended the session with AK,SS,MB and JM all having a go.A coach arrived at about noon so I assume they would all be going straight from Carrington to the hotel later in the afternoon.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Friday 5/10

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Cheers Doug.

Any word on why Rekik has disappeared off the radar ? Bad injury ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Cheers Doug.

Any word on why Rekik has disappeared off the radar ? Bad injury ?

I think he tweeted last week that he was back in training but no mention that I have seen from him or the club to explain why he was missing in the first place.It does seem the club are as quiet as they can be about injuries and how severe or otherwise they are.

Nothing much being said about Guidetti either.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BadKompany » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Good news.

‏@Karim_Rekik_44

@faisal990 I was injured I'm back since this week!

Posted today.
Never wear socks that are funnier than you.
BadKompany
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: The Business

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:It all seemed a little quiet when I arrived at Carrington this morning. No signs of the usual press conference ( apparently it was lumped in with the european one on Tuesday) and even though there was some stuff set out there were no signs of the coaches outside like there usually is. My thinking was that there was a heavy pre training briefing going on inside first but I would expect that happened on Thursday especially based on how Mancini had reacted after the game.

But they came out at 11 and had the usual shortish briefing from the boss before he took all the defenders away for a tactical session leaving the rest to do normal warm up stuff.Just 6 defenders involved and it seemed all about their shape as they moved around under Mancini's watchful eyes.I would definitely say it was a lower key group to start with than I often see.Hard to say whether that's a good thing or not as it's what happens in matches that counts but certainly there was a quieter focus today.

The session started to develop through the keep ball circles and the noise and enjoyment with it. Some I expect will say they are not there to enjoy themselves but simply to work hard and prepare for the next game but really there needs a to be a good balance of both which has always been the case.I would imagine the message will have got through and clearly Mancini was urging them on during the session.

Onto the football with small nets and normal nets with regular changing between 1 and 2 touch,headed goals only (Micah didn't get one this time) and all started off with a handball session led by Peter Crouch.The only headed goal I saw was scored by Scapuzzi so maybe he will start on Saturday.At the end of this the main team from Wednesday went in leaving just enough for a 6 a side game.

Inevitably a load of goals scored but the star for me was clearly Joleon.His first goal was a sweet left foot volley back across the keeper,then another sidefoot volley meeting a long throw in and finally a neat shot when he latched onto a rebound.I say finally but when he broke forward dummied the keeper to take the ball to the byline and set up an easy chance( which was missed) he surpassed himself. Joleon and Scapuzzi up front looks a winner.

Of course one or two from Kolarov but one screamer in off a post from 20 yards was a special one.I said the others went in but Dzeko stayed out to watch whilst chatting to the coaches.Some free kick practice ended the session with AK,SS,MB and JM all having a go.A coach arrived at about noon so I assume they would all be going straight from Carrington to the hotel later in the afternoon.

I was hoping you would say Lescott was playing like a man possessed in DEFENCE and not upfront.
This whole defence malarky is getting on my tits now, Im not convinced by ANY of them up to now...doesnt bode well does it.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:It all seemed a little quiet when I arrived at Carrington this morning. No signs of the usual press conference ( apparently it was lumped in with the european one on Tuesday) and even though there was some stuff set out there were no signs of the coaches outside like there usually is. My thinking was that there was a heavy pre training briefing going on inside first but I would expect that happened on Thursday especially based on how Mancini had reacted after the game.

I was hoping you would say Lescott was playing like a man possessed in DEFENCE and not upfront.
This whole defence malarky is getting on my tits now, Im not convinced by ANY of them up to now...doesnt bode well does it.

Best defender on view today was Kolo but bearing in mind it was 6 a side it wasn't a game for defenders.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Best defender on view today was Kolo but bearing in mind it was 6 a side it wasn't a game for defenders.

The back 4 should be getting peppered with full out attack in training until they get it right...imo
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

The back 4 should be getting peppered with full out attack in training until they get it right...imo

And I guess that's part of why Mancini is moaning about the next game coming so quickly. I expect he would want to do plenty of work with the defence and the midfield in defensive mode but there is limited time.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby marvin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 pm

The stats say City have the best defence, midfield and attack.

Least shots conceded, most passes, and most shots on target.

City have been unlucky in that almost every error has been punished, and the few chances conceded have been converted.

It's a myth that City have been poor defensively. It does Not follow that goals conceded = poor defence. There are more variables than that.
marvin
De Jong's Tackle

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:47 pm

marvin wrote:The stats say City have the best defence, midfield and attack.

Least shots conceded, most passes, and most shots on target.

City have been unlucky in that almost every error has been punished, and the few chances conceded have been converted.

It's a myth that City have been poor defensively. It does Not follow that goals conceded = poor defence. There are more variables than that.

Are you on wacky backy mate?

Man City have conceded shed loads this season in all competitions.....our defence at the moment is diabolical.
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby marvin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:23 pm

No it's a fact. City have conceded the fewest shots on goal in the Premiership.

If you watch the games, you will see that teams are creating very few chances against us but are taking a high percentage of their chances. We're also missing a lot of chances

I know Dortmund created a lot of chances - but in the Premiership few teams have done that.

At Stoke for example, and at Fulham, we conceded a goal in each. Stoke scored from their only shot. ulham had a handful. Liverpool had a lot of possession but scored through a dodgy free-kick.

We're not playing as well as last season, but don't take it too far.
marvin
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:12 pm

and nobody asked why there were only 6 defenders to work with! Off to bed for me and late up in the morning before the match. :)
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:12 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:and nobody asked why there were only 6 defenders to work with! Off to bed for me and late up in the morning before the match. :)

curious.

Btw douglas, how much does Mancini work on a back 3 in training? i hope he's gotten bored of it and never uses it again.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus