Training Tuesday 20/11

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Tuesday 20/11

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Massed camera ranks out today as it's the pre CL game and 20 players on show.All but Clichy basically as Rodwell was back after his 45 minutes against Stockport last night. I did go along yesterday but there were only 11 players out with most of the team v Villa having a day inside.

Keepers out first as always and Massimo already waiting to give them a hard time.I think that's a given with Massimo as he won't let anyone get complacent.Just the 3 with Massimo but I think I saw Gunnar Neilsen going to work with the EDS.Is Gunnar really still with us? Everything just felt right within the team today.They did a warm up jog, a few exercises and stretches and there just seemed a good buzz around the group. The argentinian contingent with Aleks,Yaya with Samir and Garcia,Vinnie with Jack,Kolo with Razak and Sinclair and good to see Mario back and looking focussed.

Then it was over to another pitch for some tactical and shape work pre the Real game. Adam Drury was used for a while as a wide player running at defenders ( he's good at that) just to give them a feel for you know who.Then it was back over for more exercises.Quire what Carlos did or said to Yaya I don't know he was chasing after him with some intent and a big smile but failing.

Into a passing game which started with one touch ,right foot only ,switching to left foot only and then 2 touch.The ability of the players,especially Yaya,Silva,Nasri to receive difficult balls under pressure but still maintain control and lay it off is just special and great to watch. The pass/move ,press game evolved into trying to score in the 5 a side nets and it was 2 goals from Kolarov and Dzeko that won the game. There was one sweet bit of skill from Sergio when he was tight in a corner and it was just one touch allowed.He used the defender as a wall and then laid of a neat pass to a teammate as the defender couldnt sort his feet out in time to stop him.

A few more fast feet exercises before the game and early on it was Panti showing great form with excellent saves from Barry,Mario and Edin and when Sinclair went round him he had to go so far he had no angle to score! Some things don't change as the wind was making it hard to play any longer passes and Joe Hart was constantly heard giving instructions to his back 4.The ref today was Gregucci,pretty good too.It was developing into a really good competitive game and bearing in mind it was 11 a side on half a pitch there was little room to play.

The first goal came from a great break by Barry onto a neat pass and he rounded the keeper to score easily.The almost immediately a great SS cross was headed in superbly by Edin.Zaba took Edin out in the area but no pen and all smiles.Joleon was in really commanding form today but Sergio got a goal back cutting across the area from the right to smash a beauty inside the far post.SS was blatantly pulled back by Vinnie but Fausto as lino gave nothing against the skipper.That was about that.

I wondered about some free kicks but Mancini took the entire back line for some extra work on defending free kicks coming in from the angles. Kolo stayed out and it just seemed it was talking with Razak.I left then but it seemed likely that Sinclair ,Milner and maybe Aleks would have some shooting practice but it would have to be without a keeper.

Enjoyable to watch today.Happily the rain stayed off but no doubt it will be there for the match tomorrow as is the norm.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Tuesday 20/11

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks Doug.

In regards Gregucci, is it fair to say from what you've seen in training that he has assumed Lombardo's previous role?

I'm sure it was the Daily Fail who first suggested he was hired as a defensive coach, is there anything from what you've seen that would suggest he is? I only ask because it seems from reading your reports that he does very little, if anything at all with the defence.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Thanks Doug.

In regards Gregucci, is it fair to say from what you've seen in training that he has assumed Lombardo's previous role?

I'm sure it was the Daily Fail who first suggested he was hired as a defensive coach, is there anything from what you've seen that would suggest he is? I only ask because it seems from reading your reports that he does very little, if anything at all with the defence.

From what I saw on the training pitch,Lombardo was just a body out there helping with the set up for training routines,exercises,games etc and nothing to do with tactical aspects of what went on.Pretty well the same as Platt,Kidd and Fausto and yes it would be true to say that Gregucci does the same work. I have yet to see him involved in any defensive coaching work.

BUT what goes on behind the scenes I obviously don't know.I assume Kidd and Platt have some input into Mancini about tactics and issues regarding specific opponents and maybe Gregucci would have similar input but when it comes to the training pitch the only guy I have seen running tactical sessions and effectively any meaningful football sessions has been Roberto Mancini.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Swales4ever » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks Sir DH, also for the very sensible inception: in fact I was wondering yesterday if Bob had given 'em a day off ahead CL!

Great to hear all in good spirit and proper focus, as usual ahead of CL, I have to say in all fairness. Cannot wait to see if the CL anthem is gonna make the difference, yet again (imho).
But I feel cool for tomorrow, very cool.

As per Gregucci, my dear Foreverinbluedreams, just don't get me started! much had been say about Taffia, but Maffia doesn't seem much different, when it comes to gift a job to a fella countrymate, isn't it? shame.
Lombardo at least has some PL experience and some football in him (even if he's arguably showing it at EDS, so far)

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Doug.

@Mancio, I get how the whole 'jobs for the boy's issue may piss people off but it is understandable that you would surround yourself with people you trust.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Chinners » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Thanks for the reply Doug.

@Mancio, I get how the whole 'jobs for the boy's issue may piss people off but it is understandable that you would surround yourself with people you trust.

Funny enough thats what Leslie did as well.

Anyway, cheers muchly as usual Doug
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:11 pm

I understand what your saying but if we want to be the best club in the world we should be bringing in the best talent and expertise not just old mates.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:

I understand what your saying but if we want to be the best club in the world we should be bringing in the best talent and expertise not just old mates.

Yep, I accept that argument but the best in the world may not necessarily be able to work well with Mancini.

Besides, who are the best coaches? What makes them the best? etc. ie what yardstick do we use to measure a coach's ability?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby ronk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:

Who says we aren't. There are some pretty decent CVs there.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:

Yep, I accept that argument but the best in the world may not necessarily be able to work well with Mancini.

Besides, who are the best coaches? What makes them the best? etc. ie what yardstick do we use to measure a coach's ability?

A good coach generally has a proven track record of success. Usually being scouted to move to a better position rather than getting sacked repeatedly.
Last 5 years from Gregucci's coaching record on Wiki, (not much success here):
"...Gregucci started his 2005–06 season as Lecce coach in the Serie A, but was sacked only after five weeks due to poor results. He was head coach of Serie B team Vicenza since October 2006, when he was appointed to replace Giancarlo Camolese. Gregucci was confirmed as the new Atalanta B.C. head coach on June 5, but was later sacked after losing all four games into the season.
On 3 October 2010 he was announced as new head coach of Serie B promotion hopefuls Sassuolo, taking over from Daniele Arrigoni. He was the head coach of the team, He was sacked, but after 2 weeks he was called back.
On 8 January 2012 he was announced as new head coach of Serie B promotion hopefuls Reggina, taking over from Roberto Breda. He was removed only three months later, on 15 April, following a 1–1 home draw with Crotone, with Breda being reinstantiated at his place."
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Some people struggle as lead coach/manager but excel as a number 2 or just support coach. The likes of Platt/Kidd and Salsano might not be suited to the lead role but are part of a top overall management/coaching team even if we don't know what each person's contribution is on a day to day basis. Gregucci has been added to complete that team.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Swales4ever » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:26 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:

That's exactly the point.
I don't have any problem with the manager who bring in his men: it's the natural course of a team work.
Nor I have with an italian who brings italians, insofar those italians are Massimo Battara, probably the best keepers' coach and keepers developer in the world, with proven track records; or Sergio Viganò, a physio who is so good that mancini has brought him every where he went since he left Sampdoria: nobody has been allowed to touch mancini's muscles other than him.
I also have little problem with Fausto, because every manager has the next door nice chap, in charge of balancing the iron fist of the manager: also Salsano features good knowledge and intelligence of football (as he did as a players) he is a lifelong true pal of Bob and I am almost certain that he is the one who Mancini send to scout players which he is particularly keen.

But what the hell is the use of Gregucci, someone who does bring nothing to the caoching procedures, has an average track records at best, and has just met Roberto Mancini for a couple of years in the Lazio dressing room???
Get him to sell shoes with Marwood, imo.

rant over. sorry.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby dazby » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 am

Cheeeers Douglas. Scott Sinclair. Does he look the part? Or do you think it's purely tactical reasons he's not getting gametime?
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:09 am

Mancio4ever wrote:That's exactly the point.
I don't have any problem with the manager who bring in his men: it's the natural course of a team work.
Nor I have with an italian who brings italians, insofar those italians are Massimo Battara, probably the best keepers' coach and keepers developer in the world, with proven track records; or Sergio Viganò, a physio who is so good that mancini has brought him every where he went since he left Sampdoria: nobody has been allowed to touch mancini's muscles other than him.
I also have little problem with Fausto, because every manager has the next door nice chap, in charge of balancing the iron fist of the manager: also Salsano features good knowledge and intelligence of football (as he did as a players) he is a lifelong true pal of Bob and I am almost certain that he is the one who Mancini send to scout players which he is particularly keen.

But what the hell is the use of Gregucci, someone who does bring nothing to the caoching procedures, has an average track records at best, and has just met Roberto Mancini for a couple of years in the Lazio dressing room???
. Get him to sell shoes with Marwood, imo.

rant over. sorry.

So you trust Bob to bring in nice people next door and good technical coaches but you slag him off for Gregucci? So is he allowed to bring in his own backroom staff and do you trust him or not. You cant have both opinions on the same argument?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Swales4ever » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 am

Wonderwall wrote:

rant over. sorry.

So you trust Bob to bring in nice people next door and good technical coaches but you slag him off for Gregucci? So is he allowed to bring in his own backroom staff and do you trust him or not. You cant have both opinions on the same argument?

good remark.
I labelled it as a rant and that what probably it's just.
but this Gregucci strolling about the Club doing nothing nor even pretending to do either, really piss me off.
If had heard, just once at least, that he was shaping whatsoever defensive task, maybe just plainly executing what's Bob devised to do, I'd probably feel differently, but this way, particularly as an Italian who have spent much effort to wipe many stereotypes off Bob shoulders really drop my tolerance down.
Either way, Your remark is plain logic and I have already advanced my regret for steaming off.

I'll elaborate such opinion further on and come back if deeming to have some point to add to debate, otherwise I'll shut up... ;)

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am

Mancio4ever wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

rant over. sorry.

good remark.
I labelled it as a rant and that what probably it's just.
but this Gregucci strolling about the Club doing nothing nor even pretending to do either, really piss me off.
If had heard, just once at least, that he was shaping whatsoever defensive task, maybe just plainly executing what's Bob devised to do, I'd probably feel differently, but this way, particularly as an Italian who have spent much effort to wipe many stereotypes off Bob shoulders really drop my tolerance down.
Either way, Your remark is plain logic and I have already advanced my regret for steaming off.

I'll elaborate such opinion further on and come back if deeming to have some point to add to debate, otherwise I'll shut up... ;)

You should trust Mancini more. On the surface of what I see in an hour or so days training,Gregucci doesn't seem to do more than Platt or Kidd but there is a lot more to the role I am sure than what I see.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:26 am

We are discussing stability v Abramovic behaviour in the DeMatteo thread & one of the things Mancini was up against when he first arrived was not just Ferguson, but the whole Ferguson set up at OT.

Mancini said ages ago that he wanted to have that kind of position at City. It goes deeper than just a first team coach & a doctor; Ferguson has his people installed at almost every level of the club, he has his ex players strolling around the corridors & giving interviews on TV, he has befriended the famous faces of Utd's past, & made them allies. All in all, the club is utterly full of Ferguson.

That's what Mancini has been doing at City & it has been working. I have no objection to it apart for the Scupuzzi/Mancini situation effectively putting his eyes & ears amongs the kids. I don't like that at all.

I have also expressed reservations about how the Spanish contingent will fit into this plan & they are genuine concerns, for me big concerns.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Swales4ever » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:You should trust Mancini more. On the surface of what I see in an hour or so days training,Gregucci doesn't seem to do more than Platt or Kidd but there is a lot more to the role I am sure than what I see.

I'm not questioning there, and You should know by now how much i am keen to stand corrected by Your well informed and lifelong competent opinion.
But we both know that Brian and David have different roles and brings different, useful competences to help Bob.
This bloke has been brought just as an American Football special team coach but does not seem to add nothing in that rspect. and hardly could be otherwise given Mancini maniacal stubbornness in shaping every technical task of the game: he is a football maniac and will always be, whatsoever wages he's on.

but as I said, perhaps mine it's just a rant which does not deserve that much attention, Sir Doug.

edit: belated finding @ Ted.
neither do I, insofar his men are top professionals who deserve to be at the Greatest FC of the World. as I said, great to have Battara, Platt, Viganò, but I very much struggle with this.
right or wrong I may be, pretty much the same issue I had with BM (please, Mate, do not we refrain it again... lol)

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:43 am

No sign of Micah yet Doug? Somebody reckons he saw him sprinting round the shops last week!
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:18 am

johnny crossan wrote:No sign of Micah yet Doug? Somebody reckons he saw him sprinting round the shops last week!

I heard that too but no I haven't seen him out yet.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Return to Training Reports