FIRST MAN CITY WOMEN'S TRAINING AND MATCH

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

FIRST MAN CITY WOMEN'S TRAINING AND MATCH

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Carrington in the morning and now just back from watching our women take part in a full outside training session.Not their first together but my first time watching and I have to say I was impressed.

The first thing I should say is I know little or nowt about ladies football so I am not in a great position to know how good the team is compared to others or stuff like that so I can just react and comment on what I am seeing.It's pre season for them and there's a long way to go before the season starts in March I think.

I was in a crowd of one watching on alongside the official cameraman.Seems all training session are recorded just like first team sessions.I even got inside the "fence" to assist with some ball boy work.The initial stuff they did was just like first team preparation work but then they did some two on two games which was my first chance of seeing them actually in football mode.I had little clue who was who but could quickly see there was a lot of skill on show , some really tenacious tackling players and a real desire to win even in these initial warm up games.

The general fitness seemed pretty good to me as well bearing in mind it's very early pre season.Our one and only Andie Worrall was by far the best keeper on view but sadly that's partly , only partly, because the number one had to leave with a bit of an injury.A really nice touch from the team manager Nick Cushing who came over to say hello and welcome me and give me the go ahead to post stuff on what I see. Thanks for preparing the way Andie.

Nick had told me they would finish with a game, maybe 2 halves of 20 minutes or so which gave me a great chance to see them in action and start to get to know the players a bit better. Bearing in mind for some, certainly 1 it was the first training session with all the girls.Izzy Christiansen only signed in the last 24 hours or so.

As the game went on I asked the head coach Leigh Wood for one or two of the names who were standing out most to me and it's sort of inevitable they are some of the big names we have just taken on. But before that I need to mention that Andie was in goal against what was arguably the first team with all the "stars " in and didn't concede a goal.Definite MotM stuff from Andia and yes there were saves in there as her team were under the cosh.

After half time the keeper coach swapped ends and then came the first goal and what peach it was too. Izzy played a ball down the left side for a runner from midfield and she crossed low where Toni Duggan met it first time with her left foot and sent a curler over the keeper and just under the bar. That's her weaker foot I would say but it was perfection. Eat your heart out Edin Dzeko!

Duggan had already impressed with a great run from deep which didn't quite get finished off but she is quick, has great balance and clearly a great finisher.She showed the finishing again soon after with a right foot shot from the edge of the box which the keeper got to but it still crept in.

Another player to stand out was Jill Scott.I will have to look at the backgrounds but she is another England player who seemed to play the number 10 role and is quality.We have the England skipper (I think)Steph Houghton, in the Kompany role and she does have a bit of an aura around her.Very good assured defender.Also a holding midfield player Jess Holbrook,also I think an England player,who looks like she has that role well sorted.

Anyway enough of the names I now know but there was plenty of other quality on show who deserve a mention but I either don't know their names or have forgotten them (I am getting old and it was late finishing at 9.15) Amongst the new faces there are a good number who have been with City for many years and like Andie it's an opportunity of a lifetime for them and from what I saw they are going to take it.I am really looking forward to watching them play when the games start.

It's a shame I can't get to Curzon Ashton this coming Sunday where they are having a practice match and I think the full squad will be on show.But then they are off for some warm weather training for a week I think.

I will be getting along to watch whenever I can and keep updating but I would strongly encourage you guys to get along as often as possible in the season as I think you would enjoy what you see.

NB Andie did let a goal in in the 2nd half but I am sure the girl was miles offside.It was a fantastic finish though with a quality chip over the advancing keeper.Who score it Andie?
Last edited by Douglas Higginbottom on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: FIRST MAN CITY WOMEN'S TRAINING

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Tash Flint with the chip. Prob one of the most naturally talented kids I have ever seen. Wil go all the way if she keeps working hard and listening.

Very early days for us but starting to come on nicely. A very different dynamic to training now but I'm enjoying it.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Tash Flint with the chip. Prob one of the most naturally talented kids I have ever seen. Wil go all the way if she keeps working hard and listening.

Very early days for us but starting to come on nicely. A very different dynamic to training now but I'm enjoying it.

So Tash is one of the so called development squad is she? Was she playing wide right and is mostly left footed? Great first touch when receiving some passes and under pressure if I pick her right.You will be playing on Sunday I guess. Sorry I cant get along to watch that one.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:32 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Tash Flint with the chip. Prob one of the most naturally talented kids I have ever seen. Wil go all the way if she keeps working hard and listening.

So Tash is one of the so called development squad is she? Was she playing wide right and is mostly left footed? Great first touch when receiving some passes and under pressure if I pick her right.You will be playing on Sunday I guess. Sorry I cant get along to watch that one.

Yeah that's the one. Think she will be pushing to be a first team squad member before long. Very talented. One of this kids that spends all day playing football.
Sister of fu

Postby Crossie » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:15 am

Did you two get to meet properly? I really hope you get some first team action Andi.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:47 am

Crossie wrote:Did you two get to meet properly? I really hope you get some first team action Andi.

I already know Doug and go to the games with Chris, Kate and Michael his three children. I will hopefully get some mins under my belt this weekend. Been a little rusty and if honest a bit nervous that has shown in training. Hoping a week in La Manga will settle me down and get the rustyness out of the system.
Sister of fu

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:54 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Crossie wrote:Did you two get to meet properly? I really hope you get some first team action Andi.

I already know Doug and go to the games with Chris, Kate and Michael his three children. I will hopefully get some mins under my belt this weekend. Been a little rusty and if honest a bit nervous that has shown in training. Hoping a week in La Manga will settle me down and get the rustyness out of the system.

A week in La Manga.... can't be bad can it.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:57 am

Sister of fu wrote:

Yeah that's the one. Think she will be pushing to be a first team squad member before long. Very talented. One of this kids that spends all day playing football.

Brilliant.I spoke briefly with the father of one of the girls.She has been at City since she was nine.He talks of her going out very early in the morning with a ball to do some practicing on her own then back in for breakfast before he takes her off to school at 8.30. Sounds really driven and out to make the most of the great opportunity City are offering.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:27 am

Sister of fu wrote:

Brilliant.I spoke briefly with the father of one of the girls.She has been at City since she was nine.He talks of her going out very early in the morning with a ball to do some practicing on her own then back in for breakfast before he takes her off to school at 8.30. Sounds really driven and out to make the most of the great opportunity City are offering.

Amazing opportunities now for the younger girls coming through. As you would have noticed last night we had several of the development kids with us and if training with the likes of Steph and Jill doesn’t inspire them they I don’t know what will. Once we are in the CFA every girl in Manc will want to be at City.
Sister of fu

Postby Dronny » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:30 am

Hey Doug, how did the old goalie do?

Heard she used to be mint in her younger days ;-)
Dronny
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The one and only
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:38 am

Dronny wrote:Hey Doug, how did the old goalie do?

Heard she used to be mint in her younger days ;-)

Mint yesterday too.Racing out to the onrushing England center forward and winning the battle with a good save.

One of the things I didn't mention but was there in the play is that the keepers are expected to pass the ball out rather than just welly it forward.Steph Houghton ( captain and centre back) was usually finding space and looking for the ball but also the full backs went wide to receive the ball.Pass of the night was from Andie, drilled straight to the left back 40 or so yards.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Goataldo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:56 am

So the women's team get relaunched amid torrent of publicity, and THEN you go to training? Glory hunter!
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Goataldo wrote:So the women's team get relaunched amid torrent of publicity, and THEN you go to training? Glory hunter!

Absolutely correct.Still great to be there for some of the early learning days and can't wait to see the season start to see how we do.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Goataldo wrote:So the women's team get relaunched amid torrent of publicity, and THEN you go to training? Glory hunter!

Bloody fair weather fans pah....
Sister of fu

Postby ruralblue » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Brilliant read Doug and its ace reading about one of our own in the mix. Good for you Andie :-)

Nice that you got Doug on the inside too! Get dropping subtle hints to the first team to do the same so the chap doesnt have to be rummaging through brambles with step ladders!
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:14 pm

ruralblue wrote:Brilliant read Doug and its ace reading about one of our own in the mix. Good for you Andie :-)

Nice that you got Doug on the inside too! Get dropping subtle hints to the first team to do the same so the chap doesnt have to be rummaging through brambles with step ladders!

We're going to have to club together to get him a bloody helicopter when they move into the CFA. Big walls at that place :-)
Sister of fu

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:47 pm

Great read, cheers Doug. Sounds like City are setting this up properly with exciting times ahead. Looking forward to watching these games when the season starts which I think is in April not March? It's good the kids are given such an opportunity. I think Duggan can be prolific for us this season. Natural finisher.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:05 pm

Good stuff, Doug. My mate, Fred Donnelly looked after the Arsenal Girls with Vic the A Kitman. Met em all when Fred retired. Took an interest but it was v one sided back then with The Arse looking like footballers and the rest nowhere. Hopefully it can become more competitive now.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Re: FIRST MAN CITY WOMEN'S TRAINING AND MATCH

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm

In case you haven't seen what's on the OS about the ladies first practice match here it is:

City Women manager Nick Cushing was pleased with his side's collective performance in their double-header of friendlies against Celtic on Sunday.
The clashes presented the first occasion the new-look Blues had played together, as two different starting line-ups competed in two 60-minute games against the Scottish outfit.

In the first match, a goal from Steph Marsh and a brace from newest signing Isobel Christiansen secured a 3-0 win, whilst the Blues were held to a 0-0 draw in the second game.
On both occasions, City dominated possession and created the best chances. Cushing was pleased with his side's efforts during the day, expressing his delight at the progress the Blues are making but admitting that there are still improvements to be made.

"For our first outing, I'm really happy," he smiled. "All the players were able to get some game time and everything was really positive."Fitness-wise, I think we were okay but there's still some work to do. Everyone managed to get an hour's play so we're pleased overall."Nobody in particular was exceptional but everyone had a good individual performance and collectively, we played well.

"Today though, we weren't looking for stand-out performances. We were looking for team performances.
"If we're able to win the ball higher up the pitch, we'll find ourselves in better areas to attack."

On Monday, the squad travel to La Manga to take part in a warm-weather training camp, which Cushing revealed the players are really looking forward to.

"We're all excited about the trip," he stated. "So far, our training conditions have been played either in the wind or the rain so we can't wait for the sunny weather!"Training-wise, it will be more of a lighter week over there. We have a four-week cycle and this week, we'll be focusing on tactical, attacking work.

"Previously, we've worked on our defensive side. We like to build from the back so next week, we'll be playing in the final third, trying to create goals - that's something everyone likes!"

First City XI: Bardsley, Houghton (c), Harding, Nightingale, Marsh, Scott, Christiansen, Flint, Duggan, Johnston.

Second City XI: Worrall (c), Lipman, Young, Brougham, Fryer, O'Gara, Shepherd, Fields, Turner, Ward, Flanagan.

Skipper Worrall, WTG Andie. Sorry I had to leave at half way in your game.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: FIRST MAN CITY WOMEN'S TRAINING AND MATCH

Postby bluebananamilksheikh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:01 pm

\0/\0/\0/ Captain & a clean sheet. Well done SOF
bluebananamilksheikh
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Champ1-6ns 12
My favourite player is: Richard Wright

Next

Return to Training Reports