***Official Match Thread City-Sunderland***

Follow the match live and post your in game comments on the official match day threads.

Re: City-Sunderland

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:Bad news on Zabba. Will have to play Boyata there though he did well at RB against Chelsea. Milne is probably the only other alternative.

I heard that the official City tweet said Zaba was glad to be back!! Now I am confused.Will have to see if he is at training in the morning. And don't worry about Lescott and Gyan as Vinnie won't let him down like Cahill did.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Goaters 103 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Zabba's Tweets earlier this evening

hi everybody I have canceled the flight to Manchester because my father is with a big respiratory problem.
about 4 hours ago via web

my dad is again with the artificial respirator. We have to wait the next 48 hours. Thanks
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Green & Blue » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:38 am

Real pity Zabaleta is out now we could really have done with him in the side.It will certainly be interesting to see who fills in and could be a tricky test up against Richardson if he's on form.

I'm not trying to be funny, does anyone think swp could fill in as an emergency right back?
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 am

Green & Blue wrote:Real pity Zabaleta is out now we could really have done with him in the side.It will certainly be interesting to see who fills in and could be a tricky test up against Richardson if he's on form.

I'm not trying to be funny, does anyone think swp could fill in as an emergency right back?

He played as a wing back early on for us and our system is set up for that, so why not. Only issue would be if they put a tall player on him and went for the back post.

Other alternative is Nige, who played there for Ajax. Would miss him in the middle, but Yaya, Barry and Milner should have enough for an out of sorts Sunderland, at home.

If now, let's give a kid a chance. They need to be played at some point, so why not now? SWP/Nige can provide cover, as can Vince. If we're worried that a kid would get skinned, then they shouldn't be in the 25 man squad.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby craigmcfc » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:50 am

Goaters 103 wrote:Zabba's Tweets earlier this evening

hi everybody I have canceled the flight to Manchester because my father is with a big respiratory problem.

my dad is again with the artificial respirator. We have to wait the next 48 hours. Thanks

Well that came as a shock, first I've heard of it and not good news. Really hope this isn't a serious step backwards for his dad.

Boyata or Wabara it is then
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:03 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Green & Blue wrote:Real pity Zabaleta is out now we could really have done with him in the side.It will certainly be interesting to see who fills in and could be a tricky test up against Richardson if he's on form.

He played as a wing back early on for us and our system is set up for that, so why not. Only issue would be if they put a tall player on him and went for the back post.

Other alternative is Nige, who played there for Ajax. Would miss him in the middle, but Yaya, Barry and Milner should have enough for an out of sorts Sunderland, at home.

If now, let's give a kid a chance. They need to be played at some point, so why not now? SWP/Nige can provide cover, as can Vince. If we're worried that a kid would get skinned, then they shouldn't be in the 25 man squad.

Boyata played fullback v Chelsea & had his best game as a City defender (although lucky on two penalty claims). It depends on whether Bob wants someone to attack down that side or just a pure defender. We don't have a suitable player available to do both. He could change to a wingback system & put SWP there of course but that would be a major change in tactics.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby steveo_88 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:03 pm

I say give Boyata a run out. He's steady at the back and will push forward and move the ball around. The only thing you will miss will be the sort of penetrating runs that we're used to seeing from Richards, but he is learning his trade!
South Stand Blue

steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:54 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:

Boyata played fullback v Chelsea & had his best game as a City defender (although lucky on two penalty claims). It depends on whether Bob wants someone to attack down that side or just a pure defender. We don't have a suitable player available to do both. He could change to a wingback system & put SWP there of course but that would be a major change in tactics.

Not sure it would be a change of tactics. Micah has been getting forwards and Kolarov's can't tackle, so I'd say our system is built for wingbacks/flying fullbacks. Barry and Nige are the shield for the back two, capable of dropping back into either fullback position if necessary. Not sure it's worked so far...

My concern about Boyata is that he's a centre half. It's alright converting him in the reserves or changing an established first teamer's place, but I'd be nervous about putting a kid in a position he's not used to in the full glare of a Premier League match, Sky and Alan Hansen ripping him a new one.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mark Garrett » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Tomorrow is an even bigger game now for us, a chance to go 6 points clear of Spurs with 7 games to go and that would effectively be 7pts given the large gap in goal difference.

COME ON CITY!
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Stick NDJ at RB and play Milner and and Barry at CM.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby blues2win » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:31 pm

What about SWP at right back? I wouldn't try it away from home or against a top team at home but he tackles back well and has pace. He lacks inches of course but he's worth a thought in the tricky spot we're in at right back at the moment.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:

Not sure it would be a change of tactics. Micah has been getting forwards and Kolarov's can't tackle, so I'd say our system is built for wingbacks/flying fullbacks. Barry and Nige are the shield for the back two, capable of dropping back into either fullback position if necessary. Not sure it's worked so far...

My concern about Boyata is that he's a centre half. It's alright converting him in the reserves or changing an established first teamer's place, but I'd be nervous about putting a kid in a position he's not used to in the full glare of a Premier League match, Sky and Alan Hansen ripping him a new one.

I meant a proper wingback system which would involve 3 CB's & two wingbacks, like Keegan used to play, as opposed to two CB's & two fullbacks. The extra CB would cover either side rather than a midfielder dropping in, hence huge tactical change. Boyata would then be playing as a CB.

Just to add, in this system you could alternatively use Yaya Toure as the 3rd CB & use him as a proper 'Libero/sweeper' thus coming forward to set up plays like a deep lying midfielder rather than just defending. Like KK used to do with Philippe Albert rather than the more defensive 3 he used at City. I like that system & don't think it's finished as a modern football tactic. Too much to organise in a short space of time though.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:

I meant a proper wingback system which would involve 3 CB's & two wingbacks, like Keegan used to play, as opposed to two CB's & two fullbacks. The extra CB would cover either side rather than a midfielder dropping in, hence huge tactical change. Boyata would then be playing as a CB.

Just to add, in this system you could alternatively use Yaya Toure as the 3rd CB & use him as a proper 'Libero/sweeper' thus coming forward to set up plays like a deep lying midfielder rather than just defending. Like KK used to do with Philippe Albert rather than the more defensive 3 he used at City. I like that system & don't think it's finished as a modern football tactic. Too much to organise in a short space of time though.

I remember Doug saying that Mancini tried this in training. It's always an option and sometimes a good one at that.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby JonnyAsh » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:32 pm

I think we should put AJ on the wing from the start, so therefore giving the Sunderland, wingers and backs more to think about than bombing forward.
If AJ is on his game, there wont be any time for anyone to exploit our wide areas
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:

Don't disagree with your system, however, I think Mancini's preferred system is 2 CBs, 2 fullbacks getting forward, 2 def midfielders, then either 1 and 3 (Silva plus 3 forwards) or 3 and 1 (silva, Tevez, Aj _ Dzeko). The front's never quite worked itself out. That's certainly the system we expected when he bought Kolarov although injury and poor form may have restricted it a bit. SWP could therefore slot into that fairly easily, more so than Nige, who I doubt likes rampaging forwards.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:56 am

Can someone change this to the 'Official Match Thread' as I've already linked it in the Preview.

Ta.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:15 am

Just a point to note, since having all those home games it now feels like I haven't been to a game in months. I think I've got withdrawal symptoms!

Come On You Blues!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mark Garrett » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:39 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Can someone change this to the 'Official Match Thread' as I've already linked it in the Preview.

Ta.

Done
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby branny » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:57 am

mcfc/wire wrote:I'm confident about this one . I think the internationals came at the right time for us .

Plus we better win as im missing Warrington v Catalans because its a Sunday game . Don't you just hate SKY pisssing about with the fixtures .

Yeah same here. Salford v Bradford has been moved to Saturday 16th April ko 16.45 so the Willows will be more of a ghost town than usual. I for one will be watching the semi.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Re: ***Official Match Thread City-Sunderland***

Postby sweeneymcfc » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:00 am

huge game today, if we win we will have a clear advantage over spurs and with them still to come to our place i would really fancy us to make the top 4
and as for boyata at full back im sure he will be fine as he was against chelsea earlier this season
sweeneymcfc
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: de jong / tiatto

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day Threads