Football Media

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Football Media

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:56 am

We’ve also inserted a £35 million buy back clause for Ange hahaha. Pathetic.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:12 am

PrezIke wrote:See Pep chose to respond to media criticisms about being a "chequebook manager." Good for him with his answers...yet...

I was watching our last game (FA Cup v. Sweansea) broadcast here in the States on ESPN.

After we were up 3-0 dominating with the match commentors with little to discuss about the game itself, Taylor Twellman, the colour commentor, perhaps triggered by boredom thought it wise to create some interest in a game that was clearly over by raising questions about the validity of Pep's attributes as a manager under the guise of this critique.

He began musing with the return of cliche'd questions about whether Pep could manage a lower level side.

Pushing the idea through questions, that he would like to to see if Pep could do what he does at a lower level club without the money.

Suggesting this would be a true test of whether he was truly a great manager. We've heard this before, but not for at least a year. It's part of the deal for us, we all know as City fans.

We don't have the alleged "background" of Liverpool to some, and/or sized fanbase as other sides so it is the primary critique.

No one asks this of Real Madrid and whilst United can be critiqued, it's often portrayed under the cloack of xenophobia against those Yank owners ruining football, so the club, its "history" and reputation remain intact. Even criticisms at Liverpool and of course Arsenal are thrown in the same manner, so there's no real way to criticise the club itself.

We are not given the benefit of this "luxury."

The funny thing is every time this point about being a "chequebook manager" is made to jab at Pep no one ever considers how MANAGING a large squad of "big players" is a HIGHLY underrated skill that other "good" managers who can take a lower quality side and win more than normal may lack.

This bit has forever been the biggest flaw of the "chequebook manager" claim.

Zidane and even Ole also may have man management skills with with top players.

Yet, Pep is also a tactical icon. Go see Swansea's manager and how he worships him. In the pre-game on ESPN they referenced this. Do these other managers get such love? Hardly.

"Questioning" of Pep's quality, frequently masked as asking if he can manage a weaker side has always been been a false narrative as a result of this, but it goes unchequed on the regular.

The man is a genius, a top human being from what I see and hear, and is a brave man to take the job with us and stay even after he has been ridiculed by the media since day 1 he joined because he's THAT good and has had some difficult spells.

I beyond appreciate the man for everything he has given us as fans, and every fan of the game.

Those seeking some kind of "narrative" to jab at him may not really be looking for a "story" but simply don't like City and what we represent.

He's going to be associated with that (if he took the job at United I HIGHLY doubt he would get the same criticism) and he has stayed with us and fought through the storm of ups and downs and for that I am appreciative and grateful.

The rest is just smoke or hot air, which always dissipates with time.

I don't get why what he did at Barca B is ignored, is that not doing it at a lower level?

Touching on a point you made there Prez, I don't think Guardiola gets the credit he deserves for how he stuck by and stuck up for the club in the face of all the Der Spiegel bollocks.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:21 am

I think these “experts” that talk about “could he do it with a lower league team” are somehow under the impression that it’s harder to manage players at that level. It’s completely wrong.

How many managers have we seen that have tried to take the step up to a “bigger” club after having success with a smaller club and failed. Fat Sam, David Moyes, etc. They couldn’t handle the big time. Kevin Keegan dropped down and took over at Fulham and us and did well.

It’s also funny that no twat ever says “yeah Ferguson was a top manager, but could he do it at Stockport County?”
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:24 pm

PrezIke wrote:See Pep chose to respond to media criticisms about being a "chequebook manager." Good for him with his answers...yet...

I was watching our last game (FA Cup v. Sweansea) broadcast here in the States on ESPN.

After we were up 3-0 dominating with the match commentors with little to discuss about the game itself, Taylor Twellman, the colour commentor, perhaps triggered by boredom thought it wise to create some interest in a game that was clearly over by raising questions about the validity of Pep's attributes as a manager under the guise of this critique.

He began musing with the return of cliche'd questions about whether Pep could manage a lower level side.

Pushing the idea through questions, that he would like to to see if Pep could do what he does at a lower level club without the money.

Suggesting this would be a true test of whether he was truly a great manager. We've heard this before, but not for at least a year. It's part of the deal for us, we all know as City fans.

We don't have the alleged "background" of Liverpool to some, and/or sized fanbase as other sides so it is the primary critique.

No one asks this of Real Madrid and whilst United can be critiqued, it's often portrayed under the cloack of xenophobia against those Yank owners ruining football, so the club, its "history" and reputation remain intact. Even criticisms at Liverpool and of course Arsenal are thrown in the same manner, so there's no real way to criticise the club itself.

The funny thing is every time this point about being a "chequebook manager" is made to jab at Pep no one ever considers how MANAGING a large squad of "big players" is a HIGHLY underrated skill that other "good" managers who can take a lower quality side and win more than normal may lack.

Yet, Pep is also a tactical icon. Go see Swansea's manager and how he worships him. In the pre-game on ESPN they referenced this. Do these other managers get such love? Hardly.

"Questioning" of Pep's quality, frequently masked as asking if he can manage a weaker side has always been been a false narrative as a result of this, but it goes unchequed on the regular.

The man is a genius, a top human being from what I see and hear, and is a brave man to take the job with us and stay even after he has been ridiculed by the media since day 1 he joined because he's THAT good and has had some difficult spells.

I beyond appreciate the man for everything he has given us as fans, and every fan of the game.

Those seeking some kind of "narrative" to jab at him may not really be looking for a "story" but simply don't like City and what we represent.

He's going to be associated with that (if he took the job at United I HIGHLY doubt he would get the same criticism) and he has stayed with us and fought through the storm of ups and downs and for that I am appreciative and grateful.

Nice post, mate.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:33 pm

He’s so so so brave.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PrezIke » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:46 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Nice post, mate.

Cheers Beefy.

Was something I've been thinking about, for a while, so that Telegraph story, after hearing the commentary this past weel triggered me to finally write it out.

I know others have surely thought the same but the concept seems to be completely missing in the discussion about Pep's tenure here for reasons we are all too familiar with.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:48 pm

The opening line on the BBC match report

Manchester City extended their winning run to 15 games and their lead at the top of the Premier League to seven points as they easily defeated Tottenham at Etihad Stadium.

15games?

Its fucking 16 you utter cretin
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:07 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Nice post, mate.

Cheers Beefy.

Was something I've been thinking about, for a while, so that Telegraph story, after hearing the commentary this past weel triggered me to finally write it out.

I know others have surely thought the same but the concept seems to be completely missing in the discussion about Pep's tenure here for reasons we are all too familiar with.

Like all things in football, the way managers are treated are very knee-jerk as it’s all very emotional. What is said in a match thread or soon after should always be taken with a pinch of salt as things can change very quickly. Sometimes fans try continuing the argument even in the face of evidence to the contrary which is more to do with personal traits than anything else, but it doesn’t mean their opinion wasn’t right at the time.

My personal opinions on Pep is that he is a truly honourable man who, unlike many other managers, has a real backbone. We’ve seen other managers throw players under the bus, blame the officials or, even worse, blame the conditions, yet Pep never does this. Yes, he may mention certain elements of the game but is always honest and says when we aren’t good enough, even if we have been shafted and ‘Not good enough’ meant we were actually playing to beat the ref as well.

There are many cowards in life, let alone football, but Pep is not one of them. He has always faced up to the challenge and if he feels that he can do no more, for whatever reasons, faces the music instead of just hiding in the shadows hoping nobody will question him.

Some of the shit he has had to put up with at City would have seen many top manager run and hide whereas Pep has just come out fighting. The guy has courage and even though Mancini is my favourite manager for standing up to the old Govan Piss Can, Pep is the best manager our club has ever seen.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:13 pm

nottsblue wrote:The opening line on the BBC match report

Manchester City extended their winning run to 15 games and their lead at the top of the Premier League to seven points as they easily defeated Tottenham at Etihad Stadium.

15games?

cretins
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:39 pm

nottsblue wrote:The opening line on the BBC match report

15games?

Nothing like a cunt of a corporation to get it wrong where City is concerned. I love looking at Soccerbase during times like this, gives you a real visual of where we stand:

Soccerbase: MCFC 2020/21

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:47 pm

Rumours Flopp has walked.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:49 pm

Mase wrote:Rumours Flopp has walked.

Really?
nottsblue

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:52 pm

nottsblue wrote:

Really?

My mate has just messaged to saw it’s all over Twatter apparently.

Some of the press - “we need to give Jurgen space. His mum has just died”

:lol: where was that energy when Pep was going through the same?!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:00 pm

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Really?

My mate has just messaged to saw it’s all over Twatter apparently.

Some of the press - “we need to give Jurgen space. His mum has just died”

:lol: where was that energy when Pep was going through the same?!

Be brilliant if true but can't see him leaving whilst they are still in CL at all
nottsblue

Postby Kippax Sean » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:06 pm

I'd imagine just rumours but I've a cheap bottle of champagne on standby just in case.
Kippax Sean
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Kun Aguero / Neil mcnab

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:08 pm

I can’t see why he’d walk, he must still have lots of credit there unless he’s lost the dressing room. Even then you’d have to back your manager, understanding that the players haven’t got nothing more to give after such an exhaustive period.

However, if it’s personal and due to what’s happened in his personal life, I’d totally understand. Losing your mum is not easy and will affect people in different ways.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:10 pm

There is a bit on my twitter feed but it’s just low key rumour stuff . Klopp does look mentally shot and exhausted though . Rivalry aside his health must come first I hope he is ok .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:12 pm

City64 wrote:

There is a bit on my twitter feed but it’s just low key rumour stuff . Klopp does look mentally shot and exhausted though . Rivalry aside his health must come first I hope he is ok .

No one was arsed about Pep’s mental health last year. Fuck him. You reap what you sow.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:15 pm

Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:

No one was arsed about Pep’s mental health last year. Fuck him. You reap what you sow.

I wouldn’t go that far . Pep has no hair , Klopp has dyed his fucking orange ????
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:17 pm

City64 wrote:
Mase wrote:
City64 wrote:

I wouldn’t go that far . Pep has no hair , Klopp has dyed his fucking orange ????

And what about the fucking nashers!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum