Jake Daniels

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Jake Daniels

Postby john@staustell » Wed May 18, 2022 5:06 pm

People don't have a right to use peer power to make people kneel or wear rainbow colours to promote some cause or another. If people want to demonstrate and protest peacefully that's up to them. But leave every other bugger alone
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Wed May 18, 2022 5:13 pm

john@staustell wrote:People don't have a right to use peer power to make people kneel or wear rainbow colours to promote some cause or another. If people want to demonstrate and protest peacefully that's up to them. But leave every other bugger alone

If you’ve signed a contract with a club and you choose not to play just because of a colour on a shirt, you’re in breach of contract, no?

What about if Haaland rocks up and says, “I don’t like the maroon piping on the shirt so I’m not playing”?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby zuricity » Wed May 18, 2022 7:36 pm

john@staustell wrote:People don't have a right to use peer power to make people kneel or wear rainbow colours to promote some cause or another. If people want to demonstrate and protest peacefully that's up to them. But leave every other bugger alone

I think you mean blighter ? in the context of this thread perhaps every Blighter should be left alone :?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby john@staustell » Fri May 20, 2022 10:24 am

zuricity wrote:

I think you mean blighter ? in the context of this thread perhaps every Blighter should be left alone :?

You un-PC person you :D

I might have said they should tell them to stick it up their arse but maybe that also would be out of context?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 20, 2022 10:51 am

I applaud young Jake for doing what he has done. Is it wise? Only time will tell, as he stated it was huge weight off his shoulders, which I am sure it is! However, there will be a different type of weight put in it's place now.

My only fear for this is Jake himself and how he will handle this in his tender years, it will certainly change things for him. I hope the club, the football community and the fans back him, as he will definitely come under some sort of homophobic abuse from some fans and players. It's how he handles this personally, I don't mean should he report it etc... I mean his mental health is going to be tested to its limit and he should be supported professionally. I hope this is a catalyst for some others to become brave and stand up along side Jake. Someone of a higher profile would certaiy help to make this the norm, but it's got to start somewhere.

The likes of Gueye, Sarr and Kouyate are the problem. I hope fans up and down the country give them the treatment they deserve. The rainbow movement helps identify dickheads like these.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Fri May 20, 2022 11:14 am

About time a professional footballer came out

I wonder if the lad has done it off his back or whether he has been “advised”

He is very young and has barely played for the first team yet. Has he done this for financial gain? I’m sure he has been inundated with media requests for interviews and the like. And if he has then good luck to him.

Interesting that he remains the only one. You’d have thought at least one or two more would have followed his lead

Hope it doesn’t become a millstone like it was for Fashanu
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john@staustell » Fri May 20, 2022 12:25 pm

Good luck to him but as I said above it may prove to be unwise/badly advised in the long run.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri May 20, 2022 1:01 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
The likes of Gueye, Sarr and Kouyate are the problem. I hope fans up and down the country give them the treatment they deserve. The rainbow movement helps identify dickheads like these.

So giving them abuse for refusing to wear a fuckign rainbow shirt is the way to go is it ? Same as giving people abuse for not Kneeling for the corrupt BLM organization ? shall we go on and on about what people can or cannot do, or should and shouldn't do ? what the fuck happened to freedom of choice ?

IMO I do not think the players warrant being given abuse 'up and down the country' , as you put it , just because they will not wear a fuckign shirt that goes against their own beliefs...however backward their religion may be...its an individuals choice not to fucking Kneel for the corrupt and laughable BLM movement , its an individuals choice not to wear a rainbow shirt and laces..................the list is endless..........at the end of the day its called freedom of choice and as long as no one is hurt then that choice should be tolerated without vendettas or wishes of abuse.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 20, 2022 1:24 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

So giving them abuse for refusing to wear a fuckign rainbow shirt is the way to go is it ? Same as giving people abuse for not Kneeling for the corrupt BLM organization ? shall we go on and on about what people can or cannot do, or should and shouldn't do ? what the fuck happened to freedom of choice ?

IMO I do not think the players warrant being given abuse 'up and down the country' , as you put it , just because they will not wear a fuckign shirt that goes against their own beliefs...however backward their religion may be...its an individuals choice not to fucking Kneel for the corrupt and laughable BLM movement , its an individuals choice not to wear a rainbow shirt and laces..................the list is endless..........at the end of the day its called freedom of choice and as long as no one is hurt then that choice should be tolerated without vendettas or wishes of abuse.

Fuck me, what a fantastic forward thinking attitude that is.

Absolute bollox and if they refuse to play because of their bigoted views then fuck them off because the sport will be a much better place without them.
Wonderwall

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri May 20, 2022 4:03 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Absolute bollox and if they refuse to play because of their bigoted views then fuck them off because the sport will be a much better place without them.

You miss the point - completely .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby brite blu sky » Fri May 20, 2022 5:45 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
You miss the point - completely .

So Carl can you explain at all the reason for the rainbow symbol to exist in the first place ?

Like why is it even around ? Tell us.
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Fri May 20, 2022 7:18 pm

I did not want to get into this discussion, as soon as I saw the thread I knew decent people would end up let’s say at different ends of the debate.
The problem is, today, if you do not subscribe to a certain narrative you are a “bigot” failure to comply with the said narrative can lead you to being “cancelled “ this is very dangerous territory, so if you do not agree with the narrative you are a “bigot” if people have a different sexuality orientation than others that’s fine no problem, the problems start when people object to it. However, there is a distinct difference to be a cheer leader/supporter of different orientation than just getting on with your own life and views. For example Carl is saying, okay, LBGTQI, fine, but don’t force me to virtue signal my support by wearing regalia, there is fundamentally something wrong with saying wear this stuff or you are a bigot.
I learned many years ago that the first person to call someone a bigot is usually a bigot.
We need to understand and respect each other’s views and faiths.
I really don’t know mulch about the issue in question, but I suspect the guys that do not want to wear the rainbow insignia are of a Muslim persuasion, are we saying that they should not be able to hold those views? This is very dangerous territory.
There was a guy in 1930’s Germany who held those views, follow the ideology of we put you in a concentration camp. Today’s equivalent to a concentration camp is to be “cancelled “ ostracised belittled, career ruined, look at J k Rowling, a fantastic talented person, but because she has views that do not follow a certain view she has been vilified is that fare, is that civilised?
In summary why can’t we just respect each other’s views, and, if those views do not include wearing regalia/virtue signals so be it.
Respect of all humanity and their views should be the mantra.
Last edited by Harry Dowd scored on Fri May 20, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Fri May 20, 2022 7:34 pm

Identity politics will be the death of Western civilization - it just obscures and deflects from the real economic & ecological issues that should be addressed. I suspect Karl had it right but after three score years and ten I'm still not sure ;)
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri May 20, 2022 7:43 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:I did not want to get into this discussion, as soon as I saw the thread I knew decent people would end up let’s say at different ends of the debate.
The problem is, today, if you do not subscribe to a certain narrative you are a “bigot” failure to comply with the said narrative can lead you to being “cancelled “ this is very dangerous territory, so if you do not agree with the narrative you are a “bigot” if people have a different sexuality orientation than others that’s fine no problem, the problems start when people object to it. However, there is a distinct difference to be a cheer leader/supporter of different orientation than just getting on with your own life and views. For example Carl is saying, okay, LBGTQI, fine, but don’t force me to virtue signal my support by wearing regalia, there is fundamentally something wrong with saying wear this stuff or you are a bigot.
I learned many years ago that the first person to call someone a bigot is usually a bigot.
I really don’t know mulch about the issue in question, but I suspect the guys that do not want to wear the rainbow insignia are of a Muslim persuasion, are we saying that they should not be able to hold those views? This is very dangerous territory.
There was a guy in 1930’s Germany who held those views, follow the ideology of we put you in a concentration camp. Today’s equivalent to a concentration camp is to be “cancelled “ ostracised belittled, career ruined, look at J k Rowling, a fantastic talented person, but because she has views that do not follow a certain view she has been vilified is that fare, is that civilised?
In summary why can’t we just respect each other’s views, and, if those views do not include wearing regalia/virtue signals so be it.

I’m afraid you are wasting your time explaining this to a certain section of society .
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri May 20, 2022 8:23 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

who are we to judge who is right and who is wrong?
are you gay? are you muslim? massive can of worms. i'd rather stay out of it and focus on the finishing issues that are probably going to cost us the league on sunday.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Fri May 20, 2022 8:27 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

who are we to judge who is right and who is wrong?
are you gay? are you muslim? massive can of worms. i'd rather stay out of it and focus on the finishing issues that are probably going to cost us the league on sunday.

10000% this
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby brite blu sky » Fri May 20, 2022 8:43 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:I did not want to get into this discussion, as soon as I saw the thread I knew decent people would end up let’s say at different ends of the debate.

I’m afraid you are wasting your time explaining this to a certain section of society .

It is worth explaining, mainly because our culture is a process and swings about in response to things.
It wasn't so long ago that we had overwhelming prejudice - the norm maybe.
So in realising and countering that prejudice we get an overreaction.
During that overreaction there is no space to say 'we are overreacting here' - and the danger is that by pointing it out people get lumped together with those that would outright defend the prejudice.
The subtlety in the difference of the argument is lost. But that will change, it will calm down eventually.

In short until any particular prejudice is defeated it is unwise to challenge the campaign that is trying to defeat it, cos you will just come across as defending the prejudice and suspicion that you are using the outrage at others virtue signalling as cover for really just being prejudiced.
It is just the wrong time to make the point.

Personally i couldn't give a shit about people virtue signalling - it just makes them look like a sunday church goer to me.

Like others have said, what is more important is actually doing something about prejudice. When that is accomplished it will calm down.
If you want to see an end to prejudice - i dont see what there is to get so irrate about - just ignore the signalling till its over.
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby mr_nool » Fri May 20, 2022 8:51 pm

Can't believe I'm agreeing with Carl and Nigel for once!

I think the demand for public figures to take a political stance has gone to far. Everyone has the right to be a bigot as long as they don't spout bigoted shite in public. Forcing everyone to be anti-bigot, -racist, -homophobic through peer pressure is taking things to far and borderline fascistic in my humble opinion.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby PeterParker » Fri May 20, 2022 9:48 pm

But is he the first?
Can't remember if that fella from Villa, Thomas Hitzlsperger came out when he was still a player or not?

Imho, people can choose any direction they want but do not disrespect what the other one is thinking. Just respect each other as humans no matter the religion, sexual orientation, or race.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 20, 2022 10:47 pm

PeterParker wrote:But is he the first?
Can't remember if that fella from Villa, Thomas Hitzlsperger came out when he was still a player or not?

Imho, people can choose any direction they want but do not disrespect what the other one is thinking. Just respect each other as humans no matter the religion, sexual orientation, or race.

He retired and then came out. Thing is, I completely understand the need to have your own view and freedom of speech. However, the views of some of the posts on this thread, if the internet was around 100 years ago, would keep women in the kitchen and the bedroom and nowhere else.
Wonderwall

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum