Squad Depth

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Squad Depth

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:14 am

I thought it was worth it’s own thread now we’ve had another player leave.

Last season we had one of the smallest squads in the league and it seems we’re happy to let players leave without replacing.

Unless we’re going to get in another 3 players before the window closes it’s worrying. Everyone was on their last legs at the end of the season, I thought we’d look at that and add rather than take away or stay the same.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Squad Depth

Postby PeterParker » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:24 am

We are doing a lot of odd things, no doubt. I always said that kids don't get that much game time because the senior players need to get their playing time bonuses.

It's a strategy to keep them close, no doubt. I think we are going to sign just one more player and that will be it, we are going with the same fellas.
To be honest, I did not expect the offer we made for Gvardiol. That came out of nowhere.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 am

Very strange sending mcatee to Sheff United

So tiny squad and at the moment only kids to get a chance to be palmer and LB
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby stupot » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 am

2 keepers.
4 centre backs
2 full backs plus JWE
2 CDM
Bernie, KDB, Gundo, Mahrez, Foden, Grealish, Haaland, Alvarez, Palmer

We.ve improved everywhere from last season with incomings and outgoings apart from the replacement for Zinch. Get that boxed off and we've got a great squad.
The cringing when Sterling or Jesus played- can't see that happening with Haaland and Alvarez. Phillips is a great option for Rodri as opposed to using a 37 year old. Just get the left back in and we've got a perfect squad.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:52 am

PeterParker wrote:We are doing a lot of odd things, no doubt. I always said that kids don't get that much game time because the senior players need to get their playing time bonuses.

It's a strategy to keep them close, no doubt. I think we are going to sign just one more player and that will be it, we are going with the same fellas.
To be honest, I did not expect the offer we made for Gvardiol. That came out of nowhere.

Who says we bid? I can't see it
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby PeterParker » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:09 am

Nick wrote:
PeterParker wrote:We are doing a lot of odd things, no doubt. I always said that kids don't get that much game time because the senior players need to get their playing time bonuses.

Who says we bid? I can't see it

We didn't? Just read parts of the story, to be honest. Can't say for sure.
Might have seen it at Romano also?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:25 am

stupot wrote:2 keepers.
4 centre backs
2 full backs plus JWE
2 CDM

We.ve improved everywhere from last season with incomings and outgoings apart from the replacement for Zinch. Get that boxed off and we've got a great squad.
The cringing when Sterling or Jesus played- can't see that happening with Haaland and Alvarez. Phillips is a great option for Rodri as opposed to using a 37 year old. Just get the left back in and we've got a perfect squad.

I’m not talking about improving quality.

That doesn’t alter the fact we were flat out at the end of last season and played injured or not fully fit players for the last few games and got away with it.

You’re happy to do that again? Or should we be looking at avoiding that situation?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am

4 centre backs
2 full backs plus JWE
2 CDM

We had the smallest squad in the league last season with 17 outfield players (the rest were kids) and even if we sign one more , we will still have the smallest squad in the Prem.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:51 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
4 centre backs
2 full backs plus JWE
2 CDM

We had the smallest squad in the league last season with 17 outfield players (the rest were kids) and even if we sign one more , we will still have the smallest squad in the Prem.

Plus players like Walker, Gundo etc a year older.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:08 pm

Mase is spot on we are short very short.

We all thought we needed a left back and that was before zinchenko left. Id argue we need two(altho esbrand wilson might take one of those slots now).

We look one body light in midfield in the attacking areas too.

Worth remembering we are considering Palmer a core member of our squad to win every trophy possible when he has barely played ten games in his career and spent a chunk of last year injured.

Alvarez and haaland are new too, most players need a year to adjust to pep.

I fear this could be a transitional year when we could have got away without one and banked another prem.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby sheblue » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:25 pm

Before zinch went I thought we would be fine, If we were lucky with injuries. But selling zinch so easily was madness, I am quite sure it wouldn't have been that hard to convince him to stay! If we even tried that is. He, while being no world beater, was reliable and could do a job at left back and midfield when called on.
Then Mc Atee gone, ok a young lad but many thought he would contribute this season, that option is gone now.

We have a good squad but not a big one.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:47 pm

sheblue wrote:Before zinch went I thought we would be fine, If we were lucky with injuries. But selling zinch so easily was madness, I am quite sure it wouldn't have been that hard to convince him to stay! If we even tried that is. He, while being no world beater, was reliable and could do a job at left back and midfield when called on.
Then Mc Atee gone, ok a young lad but many thought he would contribute this season, that option is gone now.

That’s spot on. Fantastic squad in terms of talent, but it’s so small. Laporte is out until Sept at the earliest. Stones can’t be relied on. Dias is coming back from injury at the end of last season. Walker could play CB but then who plays left back if Cancelo moves over?

I get the feeling we’ll see Phillips in a number of positions this season.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:09 pm

Mase wrote:
sheblue wrote:Before zinch went I thought we would be fine, If we were lucky with injuries. But selling zinch so easily was madness, I am quite sure it wouldn't have been that hard to convince him to stay! If we even tried that is. He, while being no world beater, was reliable and could do a job at left back and midfield when called on.

That’s spot on. Fantastic squad in terms of talent, but it’s so small. Laporte is out until Sept at the earliest. Stones can’t be relied on. Dias is coming back from injury at the end of last season. Walker could play CB but then who plays left back if Cancelo moves over?

You can bet that Stones will be fit for the 1st part of the season with them going off to the WC in November.
Totally agree on Phillips, I think he'll be an important player this season.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:10 pm

Squad depth?

Needs to be bigger IMO

We’ve lost more than we’ve replaced and though I believe the quality of what we’ve brought in is better than we’ve let go, we are potentially stretching ourselves very thinly later on in the season
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:20 pm

The real issues is that knowing Pep, he will go again for the quadruple.
And with the current numbers it will be mental.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:31 pm

PeterParker wrote:The real issues is that knowing Pep, he will go again for the quadruple.

He regularly throws the fa cup semi due to our lack of depth ?
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:32 pm

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:

You can bet that Stones will be fit for the 1st part of the season with them going off to the WC in November.
Totally agree on Phillips, I think he'll be an important player this season.

Forgot about the WC. He’ll come back from that half dead no doubt.

I’m excited to see what we do Phillips.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:49 pm

Nick wrote:
PeterParker wrote:The real issues is that knowing Pep, he will go again for the quadruple.

He regularly throws the fa cup semi due to our lack of depth ?

Yeah, but we still reach that point instead throwing the first or second game.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Nick » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:21 pm

Shouldn't throw any game. Buy square pegs for square holes and we compete on all fronts.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby blues2win » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:12 pm

We were very unlucky last season to lose so many defenders at the same time. This season we’ve let go Zinchenko and Mandy’s not coming back. It would be criminally irresponsible not to bring in a left back since Txiki and Pep clearly don’t thing Wilson Esbrand is ready, promising though he is. If that is sorted I’m reasonably happy. Pep doesn’t want a bigger unhappy squad.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum