Welcome Erling Haaland

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Welcome Erling Haaland

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:56 pm

sheblue wrote:No sign of him on the latest training video.
Mmmmm....

injured already or was he sitting in pep's classroom being prepped for the upcoming season?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:02 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mmmmm....

injured already or was he sitting in pep's classroom being prepped for the upcoming season?

down at Sainsbury's
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:04 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mmmmm....

down at Sainsbury's

Hope he's signed up for a Nectar and downloaded the app... I've got £250 towards next christmas shop already ;)
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby sheblue » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:34 am

CTID Hants wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mmmmm....

down at Sainsbury's

Hope he's signed up for a Nectar and downloaded the app... I've got £250 towards next christmas shop already ;)

That's it. All that shopping excitement.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:48 am

He’s trained every session apparently. There’s not been pictures allowed because he’s working on a contract with adidas.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby sheblue » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:54 am

Mase wrote:He’s trained every session apparently. There’s not been pictures allowed because he’s working on a contract with adidas.

Good man.
Panic over.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:36 am

:twisted:
Mase wrote:He’s trained every session apparently. There’s not been pictures allowed because he’s working on a contract with adidas.

allegedly in the background here
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:51 am

johnny crossan wrote::twisted:

allegedly in the background here

I’ve just been for an eye test this morning and I’m not sure if it’s the puffs of air that blew into my eye or not that’s making my eyes blurry looking at that picture.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:17 pm

Looks like Erling is missing the tour :? :?
sick note?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:07 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Looks like Erling is missing the tour :? :?
sick note?

We'll find out tomorrow when they fly out, normally footage of them arriving at Ringway goes up quickly if not live streamed.....
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:21 pm

johnny crossan wrote:Looks like Erling is missing the tour :? :?
sick note?

are we only playing 5 a side games?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:43 pm

He's in the latest Inside City video - not on the pitch though
https://www.mancity.com/citytv/mens/ins ... s-63793505
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:48 pm

sheblue wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Mmmmm....

down at Sainsbury's

That's it. All that shopping excitement.

I'm not seeing any mead in that trolley, or a horned drinking cup. What kind of a viking is he?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:12 pm

the Nordic Meat Shield

johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:34 am

How Haaland must adapt at Manchester City to succeed under Guardiola
Ahmed Walid
Jul 20, 2022

Have you ever got a job you weren’t quite qualified for? There was probably a good reason. Your employer saw in you some transferable skills they can work on and improve to make you excel in your new environment. In football, at the well-run clubs, it’s pretty similar. A player signed from a team with a different style of play is signed for his abilities that can be honed and improved to suit his new side.

During the transfer season, that is often forgotten. A player who has a good vision, but needs to work on his passing, can do that with the coaching staff. Take Joao Cancelo, for example. Coming to Manchester City, he expected to play as a traditional, forward-thinking right-back and struggled with being asked to come inside, into midfield. Then he transformed in 2020-21 to become one of City’s key players. “He was confused in the beginning,” Pep Guardiola said later on after Cancelo’s turnaround. “He expected something that we could not offer him.”

Cancelo took time to adapt, and Guardiola acknowledged that. “We needed time to understand each other, him to me and the team, and me to him too.”

This isn’t the only case of a new City signing taking time to learn, or even an established star taking time to adjust to Guardiola’s style of play. During the manager’s first season, he wanted more from Sergio Aguero: “Aguero could definitely be contributing a lot more to our game, to the whole process. It would be great if he improved his use of the ball, keeping possession better. I can’t do anything for him in terms of his performance in the box, because he’s outstanding there. He’s going to do a lot for us, but I’d like to help him become a better player.”

Aguero’s link-up play and pressing needed to improve and, after a meeting with Guardiola in January 2017, the adaptation process started. Speaking to Lu Martin and Pol Ballus for their 2019 book Pep’s City: The Making of a Superteam, Aguero elaborates: “I had to adapt and do much more pressing. We did a lot of work on that in training. I have to press the goalkeeper and centre-back. Maintaining the intensity like that is really tough for me and it was something I’d never done before. But I’ve become much stronger physically over the last few years and my game outside the box has improved. I just wasn’t used to playing like that. I still do what I need to do when I’ve got the ball, but off the ball, my positioning and pressing abilities have greatly improved and I move much more effectively.”

From one City striker to another, Erling Haaland is the Premier League’s highly anticipated debutant this season, though there’s a good case against the move. The key for Haaland will be to work on the skills he might not have needed in the Bundesliga but definitely will in the Premier League.

First, link-up play. Haaland isn’t the type of striker who’s unwilling to drop and link play. He does, but the issue that may need tweaking is that he almost exclusively plays one-touch passes. This is important as it shows that Haaland has awareness and it doesn’t slow down the attack. Like in the example here against Bochum, the forward is dropping to link up…

….before playing a one-touch pass into the path of Marco Reus to put him through on goal.

However, a single touch isn’t needed in situations where Haaland has enough time to control the ball and make a better decision. Like below against Ajax, Haaland drops to receive Julian Brandt’s pass with little to no pressure, but decides to play a one-touch pass into Ajax’s right-back, Noussair Mazraoui. A better solution is to control the ball and weigh up the options.

Or here against Besiktas, where the 21-year-old’s movement is textbook. He drops to receive Jude Bellingham’s pass but miscues his pass to no one. With the Besiktas defender not close enough, he had enough time to control the ball and see Donyell Malen’s run in behind the defence.

To succeed at City, Haaland will need to know when to link up with one touch and when to control the ball and wait. Just like he did here against Greuther Furth. After receiving a pass from Marius Wolf…

…a normal Haaland reaction is to play the pass quickly into Marco Reus, who is offside, but uncharacteristically, he waits for a second…

…and then plays the ball into the path of Raphael Guerreiro out wide, whose shot falls kindly for Brandt to open the scoring.

[img]https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2022/07/18190934/Haaland-link-up-Greuther-Furth-4.png

Another area where Haaland may need to adapt is finding runners in smaller spaces behind the defence, which, in the Premier League, are much smaller than in the Bundesliga. Haaland won’t have the same luxury of running with the ball, facing the goal and picking his choice of free runner. Due to City’s style of play and how teams usually set up against them, often in a low block, the playing field is totally different.

Defensive lines don’t play this high against City, especially if they are two goals up.

And in the Bundesliga, an assist like this one against Wolfsburg was common for Haaland. He is running into space, facing the goal and his passing options are clear…

…at the right moment, he finds Axel Witsel’s run for the Belgian to make it 2-0.

Assisting at 100 miles per hour is Haaland’s second nature. But most teams won’t allow City this amount of space, even if they are trailing. The more common situation will be something like this — a deeper defensive line with Haaland playing with his back to goal. Here, for Norway, Martin Odegaard plays the pass into him…

…Haaland then pins the centre-back…

…before focusing the weight of his body onto his right leg to receive with his left foot, while pushing back into the centre-back to keep him pinned back…

…this puts Haaland in a position to turn with the ball under his feet and find Mohamed Elyounoussi…

…who returns the ball to Haaland to lay it back for Kristian Thorstvedt to score Norway’s third.

[/img]https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2022/07/18202053/Haaland-assist-Armenia-5.png[/img]
[/img]https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2022/07/18194629/Haaland-assist-Armenia-6.png[/img]

The right question isn’t whether Haaland’s profile fits City. It’s whether Haaland will work on his underdeveloped skills that will be needed in the Premier League.

Perhaps Haaland doesn’t have a choice. Just ask Aguero.

“Pep makes sure all his players improve. He makes the best even better. It’s just what he does. He won’t leave you alone for a second — there are no off days.”
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:33 pm

He might look like a Devo song, but he's gonna score a shit load for us.
Still, heavy on the eye compared to Kun and the general standard we are used to nowadays.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby PeterParker » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:17 am

He is a fucking monster.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby sheblue » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 am

PeterParker wrote:He is a fucking monster.

He's OUR monster.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:53 pm

Other than the fuck i hate long hair and pony tails on blokes.......

There is quite a ring to "the Pony Tailed Predator"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1556618799213715457
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Jam » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:11 am

CTID Hants wrote:Other than the fuck i hate long hair and pony tails on blokes.......

There is quite a ring to "the Pony Tailed Predator"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1556618799213715457

A Blue has adapted the Haaland song already.

https://youtu.be/kzTi73HQoPI

Not sure how he'd feel about the verse

Haaland
Haaland
Yorkshire Born Norwegian Lad
Roy Keane tried to kill his dad
Ha-ha-ha-Haaland
Blue Jam
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Goater

PreviousNext