The goal that never was....

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The goal that never was....

Postby Crossie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:51 am

Both teams should agree to replay that game.

Its been done before hasnt it.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby branny » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:43 am

I'm surprised Specsavers haven't contacted the FA about sponsoring the officials.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby steveo_88 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:45 am

I think the FA do these things to Warnock just for a laugh!
steveo_88
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Jesus Navas
My favourite player is: Eyal Berkovic

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:14 am

if that happened in the prem, there would have been a riot . i thought warnock was going to lamp that bristol city player at the end, good veiwing that would have been lol
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Vhero » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:18 am

Saw on that football league show after MOTD absolutely shocking! They should have had their goal stand thus got the 3 points from that game.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby King Kev » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:21 am

The officials from the match have been supended and Keith Hackett has apologied on their behalf.

[urlnp=http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5494071,00.html]LINK[/urlnp]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dr Golfball » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:23 am

Typical...crystal palace.

On a serious note that is fucking outrageous.
Dr Golfball
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Jeremy Clarkson 4 PM
My favourite player is: Barry/Ireland

Postby simon12 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:31 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Fish111 wrote:Maybe not technology then NQDP, just a refferral to a 4th official to say whether it's gone in or not. It would take seconds and the correct conclusion would be arrived at.

I'd consider it but I fear it will lead to videos being examined for every off side and freekick and corner and penalty. Soon we will be looking at four hour stop start games with clock stopped the same way as in American football.

But I know I'm in minority here among football supporters and majority want new technology to be introduced.

mr fu wrote:
They won't introduce rules/technologies that can't be used at grass roots level. Premier League Football and pub football are governed by the same rules and regs apparently!?!

That's actually very important for me. I like the fact that whether you play in sunday league, in pub league or in Premier League, in desert, in North Pole or in City of Manchester Stadium, the game is essentially the same.

I think that this stance that the fa take is so wrong in todays game. The grass roots players don`t drive Bentleys. The grass roots teams don`t receive £34m for finishing 17th. It doesn`t cost arouind £35 to watch a grass roots game. A lot rides on these wank decisions and it doesn`t spoil rugby and cricket.It won`t take long to confirm a decision
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby M147WN » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:53 am

From the telegraph.co.uk March 2008

"The controversial decision by football's lawmakers – led by Fifa president Sepp Blatter and Uefa boss Michel Platini – to scrap all further goal-line technology research and replace it with an experiment of two additional referees, one behind each goal, has been met with widespread incredulity throughout the game.

Football fans' forum
Fifa, supported by the Welsh FA, voted against the Football Association (March 2008) and put goal-line technology permanently on ice even though trials with a microchipped ball had been successfully carried out in official tournaments in Peru and Japan. Premier League general secretary Mike Foster, who hoped to have the Hawk-Eye system – used in tennis and cricket – in place by the start of the 2009-10 season, says all 20 clubs had been unanimously in favour of technology for eliminating miscarriages of justice. "They were more anxious than anyone to see this implemented, as were referees," Foster said."

I think it's incredible that this technology has not yet been adopted.

by Niall Quinns Discopants » 16 Aug 2009 07:40

"You can't really use that as an excuse for campaign for introduction of new technology. If referee and linesman really miss that thenthey ought to get their ref lisences revoked.

Personally I like the game as it is and I am very much anti-change of rules and/or introduction of modern technology. Football is one of the last places in the world where there's still room for human mistakes and I like it. Soon it will be just bunch of robots kicking the ball. What would we discuss about then?"

NQDP this is surely one of those occasions where the 4 officials all missed what was an obvious goal through human error and if the glt required to erradicate human error exists why not use it? Sorry don't understand your quote re. "football is one of the places in the world where there's still room for human mistakes and i like it" ...I wonder if you'd still like it if we we're deneiged a clear goal at wembley through human error to win the F.A.cup and then went on to lose the same game via a goal which clearly should have been ruled out if glt had been adopted??
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby sweenyuk » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 pm

I have always been against technology for the same reasons as NQDP uses. Football as it is now can be played to the same rules wherever you play it, unlike Tennis where the rules differ in the same championship depending on what court you are on.... With video replays only possible on the main courts. However this decision really is a disgrace, if they didn't see the ball cross the line, then how did they manage to award a goalkick..?? Maybe goal line technology should be used in all games with the makers of the technology creating a cheap portable version that can be installed in park goals as simple as in prem grounds. Maybe with funds from their prem sales being used to subsidise the expense.
sweenyuk
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:21 pm

They really have to limit the scope of what can and cannot be judged. In Rugby it is ONLY scoring try's that get's judged and cricket judging I would say is a little different because they are used to breaks between balls.

FK, Pens, etc have to remain solely the responsibility of the ref, but goals (which would cause a break anyway) are well within the ability to introduce some sort of video replays. Hockey and tennis both use tracking to monitor calls, surely this is something football with all their money can introduce something similar.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dave_G » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:37 pm

I blame Bristol City for letting this stand, it really is cheating! Fair enough the ref was blind for not seeing it. But the Bristol City players did! so either tell the ref or score an own goal to cancel it out. How can they accept 3 points knowing that they really drew? play fair lads!!
Dave_G
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:40 pm

Dave_G wrote:I blame Bristol City for letting this stand, it really is cheating! Fair enough the ref was blind for not seeing it. But the Bristol City players did! so either tell the ref or score an own goal to cancel it out. How can they accept 3 points knowing that they really drew? play fair lads!!

Swings and roundabouts.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:03 pm

This could be avoided if they redesigned the goals - dont give the ball any solid surface internally to bounce from, just put the stanchion outside the net and keep the net just tight enough that the ball cant distort the it enough to strike the stanchion at pace. (It wont do anything for those other cases of the keeper catching the ball just over the line like earlier though, but will eliminate the Palace type of incident)
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby blues-clues » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:28 pm

There is a big difference between professional football and grass roots footbal and that is that fans are asked to part with their money to see the games. It is impossible for the officials to get every decision right but the "ball crossing the line" issue is not difficult to solve with technology and it has to be accepted that errors like this have to big an impact in the professional game to be allowed to keep happening. A solution needs to be found and implemented quickly.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby King Kev » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:24 pm

If this had happened in a game we were involved in and we allowed the oposition to go and score to even things up how would people feel about it?
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Slim » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:28 pm

King Kev wrote:If this had happened in a game we were involved in and we allowed the oposition to go and score to even things up how would people feel about it?

You don't, just don't. Everyone gets bad calls and this one is pretty awful but how it is any worse than having a stonewall penalty turned down?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby DPBBlue » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:31 pm

King Kev wrote:If this had happened in a game we were involved in and we allowed the oposition to go and score to even things up how would people feel about it?

I'd be very angry, I don't see why we should have to make up for the ineptiude of the referees. I couldn't see Warnock telling Crystal Palace to do that if it was at the other end.
DPBBlue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby irblinx » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 pm

branny wrote:I'm surprised Specsavers haven't contacted the FA about sponsoring the officials.

I assume you do know that they actually sponsor the officials in Scotland?

This is exactly the sort if thing that they were hoping to avoid by not bringing in any major rule changes this season, the focus was apparently on eradicating obvious mistakes. Not a good start
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Dameerto » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:32 pm

It's down to the officials to referee the game not the clubs - that's why they made the rule about not kicking the ball out of play anymore. There needs to be some lessons learned about this though.
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum