Training Thursday 25/4

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Thursday 25/4

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Normal service resumed as I got back to Carrington for a training session and the first thing I saw was Pozo getting out of a taxi and hobbling in on crutches. Torn ligaments I understand although I don't recall seeing an official club statement.2 weeks since my last time here die to my own incapacity at times plus surprise days off and changes to afternoon sessions but today I think was the first time I have seen the whole squad all training together.

21 on show I think including the recent injury cases of Silva,Maicon and Rodders.There was the usual initial gathering for the Mancini briefing which was longer than usual and I got the slight feeling of it being an end of season session.Maybe just me.The initial work after a jog around was all ball work but simple stuff with the coach trying to make it a sharp session and get them really at it.A few other "fans" had climbed trees to get a good view and were talking with Costel in some language. Apparently they were Spanish I was told and at least one was a red sent over from the swamp training where they couldn't get a look in.

Time then for Mancini to take a team away for some work and he brought an EDS team over for them to play against.At the same time the rest had some shooting practice.For some I thought they were aiming at the guys perched high in the trees as quite a few flew wildly over the bar and the fence.No direct hits though.This part seemed to really get some of them going as it became competitive to see who could score.Then it was into a game.

I got a bit distracted as the other watchers wanted to talk more.The only goal I saw was a beauty from Carlos.He weaved through the defence and stroked home a great left footer.Plenty of good work going on with defences mostly in charge.The scum fan talking most told me he thought Edin was class!!He compared him with Berbatov because he was a bit lazy but with a great first touch and control.Not quite sure which Edin he has seen play!

Absolutely no fitness problems I could see so Mancini can pick a team for Saturday which should be full of energy. I know there has been suggestions i some quarters that the players have been overworked.Can't see it myself.I am not there all the time of course but when I do see them train it's not like they are pushed hard on running or tough physical routines.Late in a season it's got to be more about keeping players ticking over but there must be a fine line in doing that to ensure they don't switch off mentally.

The group did seem in good spirits and no doubt we will find out if they are truly focussed on Saturday against a team with a manager who loves getting one over on the big sides.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Thursday 25/4

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Nice one Doug, thank you.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Clowncrete » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Normal service resumed as I got back to Carrington for a training session and the first thing I saw was Pozo getting out of a taxi and hobbling in on crutches. Torn ligaments I understand although I don't recall seeing an official club statement.2 weeks since my last time here die to my own incapacity at times plus surprise days off and changes to afternoon sessions but today I think was the first time I have seen the whole squad all training together.

21 on show I think including the recent injury cases of Silva,Maicon and Rodders.There was the usual initial gathering for the Mancini briefing which was longer than usual and I got the slight feeling of it being an end of season session.Maybe just me.The initial work after a jog around was all ball work but simple stuff with the coach trying to make it a sharp session and get them really at it.A few other "fans" had climbed trees to get a good view and were talking with Costel in some language. Apparently they were Spanish I was told and at least one was a red sent over from the swamp training where they couldn't get a look in.

Time then for Mancini to take a team away for some work and he brought an EDS team over for them to play against.At the same time the rest had some shooting practice.For some I thought they were aiming at the guys perched high in the trees as quite a few flew wildly over the bar and the fence.No direct hits though.This part seemed to really get some of them going as it became competitive to see who could score.Then it was into a game.

I got a bit distracted as the other watchers wanted to talk more.The only goal I saw was a beauty from Carlos.He weaved through the defence and stroked home a great left footer.Plenty of good work going on with defences mostly in charge.The scum fan talking most told me he thought Edin was class!!He compared him with Berbatov because he was a bit lazy but with a great first touch and control.Not quite sure which Edin he has seen play!

Absolutely no fitness problems I could see so Mancini can pick a team for Saturday which should be full of energy. I know there has been suggestions i some quarters that the players have been overworked.Can't see it myself.I am not there all the time of course but when I do see them train it's not like they are pushed hard on running or tough physical routines.Late in a season it's got to be more about keeping players ticking over but there must be a fine line in doing that to ensure they don't switch off mentally.

The group did seem in good spirits and no doubt we will find out if they are truly focussed on Saturday against a team with a manager who loves getting one over on the big sides.

Didn't Pozo have a surgery recently? There was something about it on his twitter account.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Clowncrete wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Normal service resumed as I got back to Carrington for a training session and the first thing I saw was Pozo getting out of a taxi and hobbling in on crutches. Torn ligaments I understand although I don't recall seeing an official club statement.2 weeks since my last time here die to my own incapacity at times plus surprise days off and changes to afternoon sessions but today I think was the first time I have seen the whole squad all training together.

Didn't Pozo have a surgery recently? There was something about it on his twitter account.

I haven't seen anything like that but it sounds logical.It seemed a bad injury at the time but we can only hope he will be ok for the start of next season.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Clowncrete » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:28 pm

His tweet(translated) of 22nd April:"Just finished the operation I feel a little dizzy, but everything went great and this very happy thank you all! Come back soon"

I hope he recovers soon! Hopefully gets a few starts next season as well!
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Plain Speaking » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks Doug.

I thought the team showed a lack of fitness in the last quarter against Spurs and Chelsea. Spurs wanted it that much more than us.

Dortmund and Bayern showed how clubs can play with a high energy and intensity throughout a match (but the base fitness must be high).
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:Thanks Doug.

I thought the team showed a lack of fitness in the last quarter against Spurs and Chelsea. Spurs wanted it that much more than us.

Dortmund and Bayern showed how clubs can play with a high energy and intensity throughout a match (but the base fitness must be high).

Spurs was an accident waiting to happen the Derby/Semi took it's toll, nearly went pear shaped v Wigan, Bayern have a monster sized squad of high Quality, Dortmund have survied againt Malaga which has boosted them to last seasons form which Bayern must be thinking oh shit, we looked shot at Spurs as soon as they scored I thought take a draw now. We did get a proper Glimpse of Bale and why we must break the bank an sign him. If that twat ends up at the scum, He will be a mare for us.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby freshie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Spurs was an accident waiting to happen the Derby/Semi took it's toll, nearly went pear shaped v Wigan, Bayern have a monster sized squad of high Quality, Dortmund have survied againt Malaga which has boosted them to last seasons form which Bayern must be thinking oh shit, we looked shot at Spurs as soon as they scored I thought take a draw now. We did get a proper Glimpse of Bale and why we must break the bank an sign him. If that twat ends up at the scum, He will be a mare for us.

The fact remains though that had we taken our chances in the first half against spuds and gone in at half time 2 or 3-0 up as we should have done then we wouldn't be talking about fatigue right now
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Hazy2 wrote:

I just don't know whether it's simply a fitness thing or more a mental fatigue thing.There is no doubt late in the season like now there shouldn't be a need to do serious physical training as the core fitness should be there.It's a question of ticking over to maintain things but at the same time if you cut back on the intensity it might just lead to a slacking off mentally and it's not that easy to just switch back on again.

Both Bayern and Dortmund seemed to be full of energy right to the end and I just don't see that in City.Some players yes but not throughout the team.We lifted our intensity and energy against Utd and Chelsea and showed what we can do.In both games we got it right and proved we can match anything in england.We dominated utd all game and deserved to win and then against Chelsea we battered them but only for 60 minutes or so and then seemed to switch off.

I still maintain we were not good against Spurs even though 1 up and could have had more but then once Spurs woke up and changed tactics we were lost and could not change gear.Part of that was down to individuals but mostly I think it was the manager.Watching the 2 german sides was a revelation.Real quality in the teams but also a great tactical approach and phenomenal energy.I would love to watch one of their training sessions.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

I just don't know whether it's simply a fitness thing or more a mental fatigue thing.There is no doubt late in the season like now there shouldn't be a need to do serious physical training as the core fitness should be there.It's a question of ticking over to maintain things but at the same time if you cut back on the intensity it might just lead to a slacking off mentally and it's not that easy to just switch back on again.

Both Bayern and Dortmund seemed to be full of energy right to the end and I just don't see that in City.Some players yes but not throughout the team.We lifted our intensity and energy against Utd and Chelsea and showed what we can do.In both games we got it right and proved we can match anything in england.We dominated utd all game and deserved to win and then against Chelsea we battered them but only for 60 minutes or so and then seemed to switch off.

I still maintain we were not good against Spurs even though 1 up and could have had more but then once Spurs woke up and changed tactics we were lost and could not change gear.Part of that was down to individuals but mostly I think it was the manager.Watching the 2 german sides was a revelation.Real quality in the teams but also a great tactical approach and phenomenal energy.I would love to watch one of their training sessions.

Doug, both Spanish teams also looked slow. isolated when in possesion, tactics were what we all expected, Klopp does seem a coach players buy every word from, even with The news the top man is off it was job to do get on with it, even the crowd bought into his support the team, Dortmund V Bayern is the two best teams The wanker DURHAM on talkshite asking is the Grman league all that, Jose has got off scott free for being mullered in the only trophy he has wanted this yr.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Return to Training Reports