Training Friday 26/4

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Friday 26/4

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 am

All set up and ready to go when I arrived but the players seemed to take an age to come out. Masses of other watchers also lined up inside to watch.More than usual so I expect Inside City will tell us why tomorrow. The regular day before a game was the training plan today with two sets of 5 a side nets plus big nets to score in but first it was all about some fitness routines.

20 players there today and the most notable early thing was that Micah didn't take part in any of the fitness routines as he had a long chat with the boss.He eventually joined in when they were doing keep ball circles.The spirit in the group was great as I could tell when the keep ball circles were done right under my nose.CT,SN,AK full of chat and arguments when told it was them to go in the middle.JL as ever could be heard but I still don't think I have heard a sound from Nasti!

Then onto a pass/move session.Always good to see players giving passing options and also to see the pressing and anticipation of passes when on the defensive side of things.I know he gets stick but Javi looked good as he often does with his reading of the game and simple passing.Then into the game with different sized nets and ,as he always seems to Micah scored the only headed goal.Rodders and Edin scored in the 5 a side nets.Then it was a short game with just 1 set of 5 a side nets and Carlos got the only goal.

Time now for a full game on half a pitch and a bus load from Teeside turned up to watch training and hopefully get autographs. All over the trees and fencing.Bit strange really as only a few were City fans but they all wanted autographs.The game was full on and :
Milner headed wide from a corner
Silva hit a post
zaba hit the bar with a header from a Clichy cross
Carlos scored (mackem teesiders were talking so I was distracted!)
Costel saved with his feet from Carlos
AK cleaned out Milner and then Garcia
Massive handball shout on Kolo when he blocked an AK cross

but it ended with that one goal. Micah and Vinnie stayed for some extra work and AK and SS stayed for some shooting as I think did Clichy. Now off to Hyde for the under 21's game v Norwich.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Friday 26/4

Postby Clowncrete » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for the report!
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Nice 3.1 win for the under 21's.Quite a dominant performance too against an organised and quite strong Norwich side too.John Ruddy in goal for them.
Huws from a corner,then Guidetti when the Naaaarach left back made a stupid mistake and then a nice goal from Suarez after interchanging passes with Guidetti. Huws and Razak ran the game for a log time in the midfield with good support from Ntcham,Suarez and Fofana and the 2 full backs.The main and maybe only danger from Norwich came from us messing up simple passes which we did quite a few times.

Guidetti looking decent even if his goal was a gift but unfortunately he got an injury early in the 2nd half.We were still in control but didn't have another striker on the bench so didn't really look like scoring again.

No Lopes or Pozo who has ruptured ankle tendons I am told.

Here's the way it was reported by Norwich:

JOHN RUDDY was helpless to prevent Norwich City’s Under-21s falling to a 3-1 defeat against a good Manchester City outfit at Ewan Fields on Friday afternoon.

City’s stopper played his third match as he continues his recovery from a serious thigh injury, but a rampant first-half from the hosts earned them the three points.

Goals from Emyr Huws, John Guidetti and Denis Suarez in the opening 45 set the Citizens well on their way, but Norwich responded well after the break, even though Sam Kelly’s clever finish proved to be just a consolation.

Coach Scott Marshall said after the game: “The first-half was disappointing and we certainly let them know that at half-time. It’s not happened very often this season, but the second-half was much better.

“They got themselves in better position to put a foot in and they made it more difficult for them. We won the second-half 1-0!

“John (Ruddy)’s getting stronger all the time. He’s been great to have in the group and he’s a great professional.”

In front of Ruddy, Norwich fielded three trialists in an experimental line-up, while the home team named John Guidetti, who scored two when the clubs met earlier this year, while former City trainee and son of Bryan, Angus Gunn, was named amongst their substitutes.

The Canaries started well, with Jamar Loza having a shot blocked from inside the area within a couple of minutes and Ramil Sheriff heading a Michael Clunan corner wide.

Manchester City started to assert their authority, though, and took the lead on 22 minutes when Suarez’s corner from the left was met by captain Huws, who finished tidily into the corner.

They doubled their lead five minutes later – Greg Leigh crossed into the box, and after Guidetti’s initial skewed shot fell to Ewan McNeil, the City left-back’s clearance was misplaced straight back to the Swedish forward, who lashed home.

The confidence continued to spread through the Citizens and it warranted their third on 40 minutes when the impressive Suarez played a one-two with Guidetti, before cutting into the box and finish past Ruddy.

HALF-TIME: Manchester City Under-21s 3-0 Norwich City Under-21s

The second-half started off on more of an even keel, although Guidetti did test Ruddy’s handling with a fierce shot on 54 minutes.

Five minutes on, City got a goal that gave them hope of forcing a result – Kelly finished exquisitely, chipping over Ian Lawlor after being found by the tireless Loza.

Marshall’s side were much more organised as the second-half progressed, but Manchester City never really looked in danger of losing their advantage, even after Lawlor was forced into an acrobatic save from Michael Clunan’s set-piece.

The last third of the game was bereft of real chances, and the hosts held on for their third consecutive victory.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks Doug

No Lopes, did he train with the senior squad by any chance? Or is that just wishful thinking?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Thanks Doug

No Lopes, did he train with the senior squad by any chance? Or is that just wishful thinking?

No Lopes with first team today and not involved at all in 21's game.Maybe will be with first team as I hear he isn't injured.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks Doug. So Guidetti looked fully fit ? Do you think he's ready to make an appearance for the ist Team ? Although you did say he got injured !
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby phips » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I know he gets stick but Javi looked good as he often does with his reading of the game and simple passing.

Ive noticed this too...he struggled to find his own in the first half of the season it seemed and faded in and out, but mostly out.
then there was a stretch where he was really good for us..but then he faded again.

i think there's potential there he just needs to be consistent. maybe next season he will show this after having 1 full season under his belt.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

No Lopes with first team today and not involved at all in 21's game.Maybe will be with first team as I hear he isn't injured.

Cheers, hope he is with the first team, I've a feeling in my waters about this lad.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Cheers, hope he is with the first team, I've a feeling in my waters about this lad.

I just heard he had a game yesterday for Portugal's under 19's hence why he wasn't around today.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Return to Training Reports