Training Thursday 19/12

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Thursday 19/12

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Carrington again and good timing for me as the winds yesterday meant the top curtain/fencing had been taken down and I could see easily over the bottom fence quite easily. They had taken them down as they expected the wind to rip them apart anyway.Still down today as more strong winds expected but going back up for tomorrow.Good to have a clear view for a change and pretty well everyone out there including Zaba,Kun,Nastasic and Micah but don't get excited as those 4 were just there for the opening briefing from the boss and then went straight inside.

I do think it says something about Pellegrini though to want all the squad,injured or not to be part of his briefing.That includes the keepers as well which had not always been the case with past managers.Quite a long briefing too,maybe to get a special message across prior to an away league match.Included in the group to make the numbers up fully were Greg Leigh,George Glendon,Jason Denayer,Jordy Hiwula,John Guidetti.No Facey which might be a surprise given our right back situation and also no Lopes so maybe he did pull up before the cup game on Tuesday.

Said a quick hello to skipper Tony Book who was getting his exercise walking round the pitches They went into some gentle runs,lots of stretching and a few short sharp routines.Given the thread on muscle injuries I was watching closely and saw nothing unusual.Routines and preparation work I have seen so often before and no slackers today.Then into 3 keep ball circles before any strong football related stuff.Before that though the team from Tuesday went inside.

Pellegrini took sometime organising the next session which was basically attack defence.There were just 2 defenders to deal with about 4 or 5 attackers starting with a pass from either Yaya or Glendon played wide and then using inside passes ,overlaps or whatever.Very tough on the defenders with such quality coming at them but they did very well.The defensive pairings being either Demechelis and Leigh or Denayer and Clichy.Enjoyable to watch and the best goal came from Negredo who nutmegged the central defender and then lobbed the keeper from close range.

Pellegrini was constantly talking as the action was going on and seeking perfection in the timing of passes and overlaps plus good crossing and finishing .Three looking good to me in this exercise were Jovetic,Demechelis and Denayer.Bytyqi came over during this session which was good to watch with a lot of real intent and Pellegrini at the heart of everything making sure the decision making was good.When it wasn't he let them know.

Then into a 7 a side game with teams of Denayer,Yaya,Nasri,Hiwula,Bytyqi and Clichy against JG,GL,GG,Fern,AN and MD.Which team do you think would win? ( yes you have to work out who the initial were) I didn't see all the goals but I did see goals from Hiwula,Nasri, Bytyqi plus Demechelis and Fernadinho before the golden goal was announced. But first there was an amazing double save from Richard Wright.Both from fairly close range thunderbolts.An amazing miss from Fernandinho.He had exchanged passes with Guidetti and had to tap the ball home but managed to get it over the bar.The goal from Nasri was a classic one sitting the keeper down before lifting the ball over him and in.

The golden goal was scored by Demechelis.He does like to stride forward with the ball doesn't he? An enjoyable session for me to watch and great spirit throughout the team.As I left I spotted both Micah and Nastasic doing 1 to 1 work with physios which I took to be a very good sign they are not far away.No chance for Fulham or probably Liverpool but not too far.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Thursday 19/12

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 pm

I knew you were up to something, is DB injured ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I knew you were up to something, is DB injured ;-)

Dedryk is fine I think but was deemed to have played Tuesday so went in before the football started.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I knew you were up to something, is DB injured ;-)

Dedryk is fine I think but was deemed to have played Tuesday so went in before the football started.

Ok mate, was just going off your post yesterday.

Cheers Doug, sterling work. I wonder if any of those youngsters will get a shout on Saturday?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:18 pm

Great stuff Doug thank you.

I was wondering whether Denayer could be drafted in as fullback cover ? He seems to be two footed, quick & skillful & my only reservation about him as a player, is whether he will be quite strong enough as a centre back. But to be a fullback, he pretty much has the build now. (I recon he will play at the top level for certain, it's just a matter of where, poss midfield imo).

Was there anything to suggest they are trying him in the fullback position or was it all central stuff?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Great stuff Doug thank you.

I was wondering whether Denayer could be drafted in as fullback cover ? He seems to be two footed, quick & skillful & my only reservation about him as a player, is whether he will be quite strong enough as a centre back. But to be a fullback, he pretty much has the build now. (I recon he will play at the top level for certain, it's just a matter of where, poss midfield imo).

Was there anything to suggest they are trying him in the fullback position or was it all central stuff?

Nothing to suggest that from what I saw.7 a side games aren't much about positional defensive play but more about marking players which he seemed quite good at.My guess for full back would still be either Boyata or Clichy with Milner as the surprise option.

He may be able to do it but it's a big ask and risk at premiership level at his development stage.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:52 pm

Nice report Mr H; many thanks to you for that.

I like the idea of two defenders playing against four or five attackers - good training for the situations they're likely to confront, more and more, on matchdays.

However, overall how did Jovetic look to you ?? Would you say he's now ready to step into Sergio's boots ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks for the report, really interesting. I was under the impression Nasti would be ready for Saturday but seems that's just a bit too early for him.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Nice report Mr H; many thanks to you for that.

I like the idea of two defenders playing against four or five attackers - good training for the situations they're likely to confront, more and more, on matchdays.

However, overall how did Jovetic look to you ?? Would you say he's now ready to step into Sergio's boots ??

I thought he looked quite sharp in the little I saw of him.Nobody can really fill Sergio's boots though can they.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:55 pm

if Guidetti is always fully involved now i dont see why he doesnt even make the bench.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:34 pm

A1 as usual. Was Milner playing offensively or defensively or do they change it around? Just wondering if there is a clue as to whether Milner will be fullback on Saturday?
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:42 pm

nottsblue wrote:A1 as usual. Was Milner playing offensively or defensively or do they change it around? Just wondering if there is a clue as to whether Milner will be fullback on Saturday?

Milner was one who went inside early so wasn't involved in the "game"
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Milner was one who went inside early so wasn't involved in the "game"

Thanks. So no clues for Saturday then.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john@staustell » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:17 am

One of the journos on SS said that there aren't any photographers there now Mancini, Tevez and Balotelli (and previous players) have fucked off.

It's all a bit too calm and professional for them. You must be lonely down there!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Return to Training Reports