Training Monday 30/12

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Training Monday 30/12

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:54 am

Not really got a clue what day it is but I needed fresh air and exercise so off to Carrington was the call.Got there just in time to see them all come out for a briefing from the boss as some of the coaches were trying to lay some tape out to define a small playing area.The wind was so strong it was a nightmare for them as the tape was blowing all over the place.I was up a tree today hanging on carefully.The good news though was no rain which would have made it a joke for me and the players.

A full squad attended the briefing although it wasn't that easy to pick out individuals.Apart from just 2 players in shorts.(the 2 usual suspects)Immediately after that 7 or 8 went straight inside.I think 1 was Kun and the others will no doubt have been those recovering or deemed in need of a rest after all the games recently.Sensible too as the last thing any would need is a strong intensive session.

Good to see Micah working hard when I arrived.Still on his own so not ready yet but looking pretty good to me in the sprint work he was doing.Zaba surprised us on Boxing Day but I doubt Micah is in the same category.

Lots of stretches were followed by 2 keep ball circles for the 12 remaining players.2 paparazzi turned up and were no doubt a little disappointed not to see a full squad and quite possibly looking for Mario.I would guess they would also have been looking for Joe Hart pictures to see how his face injury was looking.He wasn't out.

Then another split into two groups with those who played v Palace doing some specific gentle warm down type runs before going inside.The remainder did their own exercise routines including running whilst being pulled back.Yaya and Nasri seemed to enjoy this one.

I reckon today would have been one for the sports science/physio guys to decide what type of work each player needs.After a heavy schedule and plenty more to come you really just need to tick over and handle the little niggles with care.I called it a day early with just 7 out there and might give tomorrow a try assuming they train before travelling.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Monday 30/12

Postby dazby » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Was Jojo out there Doug?
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:04 pm

dazby wrote:Was Jojo out there Doug?

Not sure I am allowed to report he wasn't so I won't.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:05 pm

You're a brave man Doug, the wind and rain is horrendous over here. Got to say, I can't understand why we haven't got an indoor pitch when it's like this. Guess they'll just have to wait for the opening of the new training ground.

Good work mate and good to see that some of our injuries are looking close.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby ruralblue » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Doug, you are officially bonkers fella. Up a tree in these winds when you've been a bit buggered with your health over past few months. You certainly are dedicated to the cause and again its so very much appreciated. Be careful out there t'old bean!!!
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:45 pm

I've got nothing but respect for you, Mr H. and your dedication to the cause :- your training reports are one of the best and most interesting items on this Forum.

I hope 2014 is a good year for you personally.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks, Doug.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby derek » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks very much Doug, we all welcome these reports.

All the Best for 2014
derek
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:18 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:You're a brave man Doug, the wind and rain is horrendous over here. Got to say, I can't understand why we haven't got an indoor pitch when it's like this. Guess they'll just have to wait for the opening of the new training ground.

Good work mate and good to see that some of our injuries are looking close.

They did have an indoor 5 a side type facility at Carrington but its not there anymore.I doubt very much they were wanting to do much outside today anyway.More about working in the gym and being on the treatment table for massages and stuff.It's only 487 hours since the last game and for some that was 2 games in 4 days.

I got away just before the bad rain so very glad about that.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks for the effort Doug.

Was Guidetti there ?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:32 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Thanks for the effort Doug.

Was Guidetti there ?

Yes he was and looking ok.It's hard to imagine he won't either go on loan soon or get a little game time with all the games we have coming up.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:42 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Was Guidetti there ?

Yes he was and looking ok.It's hard to imagine he won't either go on loan soon or get a little game time with all the games we have coming up.

Cheers Doug.

I'm sure the rumours of him potentially going on loan are true, but with the present striker/injury situation (the Count admitted the other day that he didn't like having both Negredo & Dzeko playing all the games in case we lose one of them) I just wonder if he may have hit a bit of good fortune/timing for once & suddenly find himselg getting an unexpected opportunity.

From my own point of view, I've absolutely no idea if he can make it in the Prem, but he was well worth his reputation in Holland from what I saw. He can be a difficult player to pick up & unlike many City players, if he sees a gap, he will shoot.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby AG7 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Cheers Doug, much appreciate these ...

Heard in Pelligrini's conference that Negredo, Zaba and Hart are all fine but no mention of Milner ... he was subbed after a knock, was he there and OK?
AG7
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Agueroooooo!

Postby blues2win » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:05 pm

What's the news on Jovetic? Didn't Pellegrini say he was nearly ready a week ago? We really need him with the three cup games coming up.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

Was Guidetti there ?

Cheers Doug.

I'm sure the rumours of him potentially going on loan are true, but with the present striker/injury situation (the Count admitted the other day that he didn't like having both Negredo & Dzeko playing all the games in case we lose one of them) I just wonder if he may have hit a bit of good fortune/timing for once & suddenly find himselg getting an unexpected opportunity.

From my own point of view, I've absolutely no idea if he can make it in the Prem, but he was well worth his reputation in Holland from what I saw. He can be a difficult player to pick up & unlike many City players, if he sees a gap, he will shoot.

Agreed Ted.I have been impressed of late with his hold up play although its different at the top level and we know he will take shots on.He does not lack for confidence as we know.Worth a go in one of the cup games I would say.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:17 pm

AG7 wrote:Cheers Doug, much appreciate these ...

Heard in Pelligrini's conference that Negredo, Zaba and Hart are all fine but no mention of Milner ... he was subbed after a knock, was he there and OK?

I think Pellegrini mentioned the injured players and Milner was not one of them.When he went off v Palace I thought he looked shot but there was a minor knock I believe.It's James Milner he will be fine.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:...It's James Milner he will be fine.

Love that. Perfectly sums up Milner's attitude and personality in one short sentence
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby nottsblue » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Brilliant work fella. Have a fantastic new year mate. You deserve it for your dedication and enthusiasm for these tremendous reports.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby john@staustell » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:53 am

twosips wrote:

Love that. Perfectly sums up Milner's attitude and personality in one short sentence

No doubt he was one of the two in shorts.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:32 am

john@staustell wrote:
twosips wrote:

No doubt he was one of the two in shorts.

Of course along with Micah.

Weather's not inviting today but...............
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to Training Reports