Cup Final Final Training Session

The man with a pass and his insight into every day training at Manchester City Football Club.

Cup Final Final Training Session

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:51 pm

Thought I would make it 4 in a row as it's a special week even though I expected a fairly gentle session on the day before the game.Good to see everyone expected out there joining in for the whole lot.The usual stuff included maybe a little more stretching than other days suggesting a little more care being taken before they moved into a team pass/move pressing game.

They had 3 teams for this with one on the edge of a large square for either team to use to pass to.I could see the competitiveness growing through this session.MP brought it to a close and moved down to my end to play attack v defence base3d on a series of corners and free kicks from all angles.The aim obviously for one team to score and the other to clear it to the half way line.Until is passed half way it stayed live.

Not great for the defending team when they conceded straightaway from a corner but great for Kun who found space and scored with a sweet header.Battle had commenced and from one situation that wasn't fully cleared Kompany scored the equaliser.Two great moments in the is part.First after a ball was cleared for a corner Aleks clearly shouted menacingly " who kicked me from behind".No repsonse of course but he then nominated who he thought it was and went to mark him for the corner. Classic Aleks.

Then while Vinnie was trying to clear a ball, Milner came in from the side with very strong sliding challenge.VK saw him coming and let him have it and ended up in a heap on top of him.Nice gentle session indeed and the keeper coach shaking his head said it all.This lot don't give things up easily.

To close MP had each team take shots from the edge of the D and then penalties. As teams it kept the competitive element going. Not sure I can remember who scored them all but I think it was 2.2 from the D shots. Definitely Zaba and Rodders scored and then onto the penalties.Some beauties I have to say and based on what I saw we shouldn't worry about penalties.( even though at least one guaranteed taker missed his.Both keepers also scored even though his fellow keeper got a hand to both.Even Joleon scored and then was told to take it again but scored again.Both times straight down the middle despite Micah telling him he can't go straight.

Great fun session to watch and the players had lots of laughs.Now to business.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Cup Final Final Training Session

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Nice one Doug.

Seems like everyone is in the right frame of mind for the game anyhow.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks, Doug. Glad everyone came through it in one piece. Now onto the business of winning a trophy.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Cheers Doug. Training seems to be focused on play only. Do they do fitness work as well e.g. running round the pitch, shuttles, sprinting etc?
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:12 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Cheers Doug. Training seems to be focused on play only. Do they do fitness work as well e.g. running round the pitch, shuttles, sprinting etc?

They generally start with a little running but at no pace at all and yes a few shuttles with very short sharp sprints involved which they did today.Some days they do moer of that sort of thing than others and I would say especially earlier in the season.

There are other occasions when they are in the middle of a heavy run of games where they might only do runs of all kinds and not have any game play.That's when the players most involved do that but then disappear as they just don't need a heavy training session.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Nice one Doug.

Seems like everyone is in the right frame of mind for the game anyhow.

In excellent frame of mind and maybe as good as I have seen them.Let's hope that's a really good omen and not even a hint of being too relaxed.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:39 pm

[QUOTE="Douglas Higginbottom"] They generally start with a little running but at no pace at all and yes a few shuttles with very short sharp sprints involved which they did today.Some days they do moer of that sort of thing than others and I would say especially earlier in the season. There are other occasions when they are in the middle of a heavy run of games where they might only do runs of all kinds and not have any game play.That's when the players most involved do that but then disappear as they just don't need a heavy training session.[/QUOTE
Thanks for the reply Doug.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby RodneyRodney » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:33 am

Hi Doug - a question ; at practice, does Silva show any greater inclination to shoot/score than he does in live games ?
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:06 am

RodneyRodney wrote:Hi Doug - a question ; at practice, does Silva show any greater inclination to shoot/score than he does in live games ?

Marginally I would say he does and he uses his right foot more.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Return to Training Reports