Dzeko

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Dzeko

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:16 pm

nottsblue wrote:He could easily be for us what Solkjaer was to rags. Not necessarily a first choice but reliable enough to score enough when it really matters. Well worth keeping in my eyes. We still dont give him enough crosses in the air for him to attack though

For that reason it would be a mistake to sell him.
He's not world class and never will be but he scores goals, lots of them and although he has dry patches as he just has, he's shown over his time with us that he will score goals.
If we do get rid, we have to have a replacement. Someone who won't mind not always being first choice but someone who'll get us plenty of goals and not cost too much.
Perhaps most importantly, someone who's not always injured.
Bridge'srightfoot
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby dazby » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:41 am

Once he's got the ball under control he's a good player.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Slim » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 am

Goaters 103 wrote:The haters can slag Dzeko off all they want but he's all we have up top at the moment so please get behind him. Aguero's injured (again), Jovetic is perennially injured, whilst Negredo pulled a Reggie Perrin in January and hasn't been seen since - its that bad with him he isn't even missing chances as he's basically been anonymous for 8 weeks.

I think we've all been behind him this season, he can be infuriating at times but he's scoring enough and his attitude is 100x better than any other time with us. That miss though, Urgh! Still not over it.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby aaron bond » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:51 am

He definitely looks like he's enjoying his football more now than at any previous time with us. With Aguero and Jovetic's injuries, and Negredo's disappearing act, he's become a key man for us lately. Starting in the cup final would definitely have boosted his confidence too as he was a sub in both of the previous finals.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby zuricity » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:16 am

aaron bond wrote:He definitely looks like he's enjoying his football more now than at any previous time with us. With Aguero and Jovetic's injuries, and Negredo's disappearing act, he's become a key man for us lately. Starting in the cup final would definitely have boosted his confidence too as he was a sub in both of the previous finals.

I think you are using the wrong arguments to complement Edin.

It's rather a backhanded complement. The injuries to other players or the apparent loss of form of another player(Negredo) shouldn't be the basis for Edin 'enjoying' his football.

None of us have watched Negredo or Jovetic with the same kind of scrutiny given to Kun or Edin over the last two and three years respectively.

None of us can say whether Jovi was even playing that well last season. Certainly the same goes for Negs.

Were we seeing an unusually productive Negredo in the Golden October when were playing great football ?

Is the current out of form Negs, the real deal ?

Jovetic, well that is also a mute point , to even think that somehow he should be starting ahead of Edin. No way, not until he has proven himself regularly like Edin and Kun have jn the PL.
Kun i think has been desperately unlucky with his injuries.

I couldn't believe it when Bobby Manc dropped Edin after he scored those great goals at Spurs two seasons ago.

Edin can be frustrating but i think he is our top striker and he and Kun should provide us the shooting power , now that there is only one trophy to concentrate on.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Cit.revenge » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 am

Happy birthday Edin !
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby aaron bond » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:48 am

zuricity wrote:
aaron bond wrote:He definitely looks like he's enjoying his football more now than at any previous time with us. With Aguero and Jovetic's injuries, and Negredo's disappearing act, he's become a key man for us lately. Starting in the cup final would definitely have boosted his confidence too as he was a sub in both of the previous finals.

I think you are using the wrong arguments to complement Edin.

It's rather a backhanded complement. The injuries to other players or the apparent loss of form of another player(Negredo) shouldn't be the basis for Edin 'enjoying' his football.

None of us have watched Negredo or Jovetic with the same kind of scrutiny given to Kun or Edin over the last two and three years respectively.

None of us can say whether Jovi was even playing that well last season. Certainly the same goes for Negs.

Were we seeing an unusually productive Negredo in the Golden October when were playing great football ?

Is the current out of form Negs, the real deal ?

Jovetic, well that is also a mute point , to even think that somehow he should be starting ahead of Edin. No way, not until he has proven himself regularly like Edin and Kun have jn the PL.
Kun i think has been desperately unlucky with his injuries.

I couldn't believe it when Bobby Manc dropped Edin after he scored those great goals at Spurs two seasons ago.

Edin can be frustrating but i think he is our top striker and he and Kun should provide us the shooting power , now that there is only one trophy to concentrate on.

I think you read my post and then just made up what you thought I'd written.

Due to injuries and form of others, Edin has found himself starting more regularly (which is something he has been crying out for since he joined us). He's working very hard for the team at the moment, which isn't something he has consistently done, and he even celebrates his goals more enthusiastically now, which leads me to believe he is enjoying his football more now than ever.

I never said Jovetic should be starting ahead of Dzeko, but if both he and Aguero were fit, our strikers would see more rotation (except Aguero probably) and Dzeko wouldn't be starting regularly. That's something both Mancini and Pellegrini have done with Dzeko in the last 3 years.

I'm glad Dzeko has stepped up his game and he seems to be relishing his increasingly important role in the squad, but I'll stop short of stating he's our 'top striker' like you did.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:34 am

I was watching the football yesterday in the pub with a rag mate and he goes to me:
' I can't understand the stick Dzeko gets for City fans, he's your third choice striker and still gets you over twenty goals a season'
I think that point should be stressed. Which other third choice strikers or even first choice strikers get as many goals?
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby zuricity » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:38 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:I was watching the football yesterday in the pub with a rag mate and he goes to me:
' I can't understand the stick Dzeko gets for City fans, he's your third choice striker and still gets you over twenty goals a season'
I think that point should be stressed. Which other third choice strikers or even first choice strikers get as many goals?

And there you have it.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Breks » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:57 am

The more i slag off dzeko the better he plays so I am going to continue. He is utter dog shit so he deserves any abuse.
Breks
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby MilnersJaw » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:03 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:18 goals this season, not bad for a third/fourth choice striker.
If anyone can suggest someone who'd be willing to come in and play 3rd choice and get us as many goals for a reasonable price then fair enough but I don't know too many.

I'd rather sell dzeko and get teeth playing up front with Sergio. He never gets injured either.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am

I don't think that the idea is for Dzeko to be 3rd choice striker.

He was signed to be challenging Aguero for 1st choice.

And at his best, he does that. At his worst, he is awful, but tbf he has never been as shit as Van Persie was yesterday. If Dzeko ever turned in a performance like that for City, I would find out where he lives & post a turd through his letterbox.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:40 am

Ted Hughes wrote:I don't think that the idea is for Dzeko to be 3rd choice striker.

And at his best, he does that. At his worst, he is awful, but tbf he has never been as shit as Van Persie was yesterday. If Dzeko ever turned in a performance like that for City, I would find out where he lives & post a turd through his letterbox.

I don't think he could ever challenge Aguero, nor could Negredo. Aguero is one of the best in the world, as you say when fit he's as good as anyone. Dzeko and Negredo imo are a similar level. Both will get you goals but neither are world class.

I don't think Dzeko is as good as the player he was hyped up to be in Germany, probably by people who'd never seen him play as usual and when he came to the PL I thought he was a bit crap and clumsy.
The difference to me is that when Dzeko's bad he's still looking to get involved and score goals but when Negredo's bad it's like a game of Where's Wally.
He's still clumsy and misses a lot but he scores a lot too. Imagine what the Rags would give to have a player who scored as frequently as him.
Bridge'srightfoot

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:59 am

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:I don't think that the idea is for Dzeko to be 3rd choice striker.

I don't think he could ever challenge Aguero, nor could Negredo. Aguero is one of the best in the world, as you say when fit he's as good as anyone. Dzeko and Negredo imo are a similar level. Both will get you goals but neither are world class.

I don't think Dzeko is as good as the player he was hyped up to be in Germany, probably by people who'd never seen him play as usual and when he came to the PL I thought he was a bit crap and clumsy.
The difference to me is that when Dzeko's bad he's still looking to get involved and score goals but when Negredo's bad it's like a game of Where's Wally.
He's still clumsy and misses a lot but he scores a lot too. Imagine what the Rags would give to have a player who scored as frequently as him.

Dzeko, in Germany, looked exactly to me like he does now. He has done better at City than I feared he would.

But you don't spend £27 mil, on a 3rd choice striker. He was signed as an alternative first choice to alternate with or partner Aguero. Sergio wasn't rated as one of the world's top players then, he was a 'potential' top player, like Suarez was two season's ago & Dzeko was rated similarly at the time. As was Mario, although younger.

Negredo was rated as a steady performer who can lead the line; not on the same level as those two or indeed Jovetic, who is a potential Aguero level player.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cit.revenge » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:57 am

Apparently Edin from WC is not coming back to City . Like big rumor is that Borussia D. have a deal with City 16 mill. here in Bosnia and well this guy who wrote article is always guess all things about Edin .Us for price 27 mill pounds i agree it was high but when u look that Carroll was 35 and Torres was 50 mill ,we got a good deal. Around 60 goals in three season where he play maybe half of games and just that goal against QPR was worth it , at list i think so.And now if we take 16 mill well that is not bad ,only where we can find player like him happy with be on bench often.There is one more rumors that we going to try swoop Dzeko for Pjanic , Roma need desperately real striker and that is small chance but because Roma will play CL i would say 10 %.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 am

Cit.revenge wrote:Apparently Edin from WC is not coming back to City . Like big rumor is that Borussia D. have a deal with City 16 mill. here in Bosnia and well this guy who wrote article is always guess all things about Edin .Us for price 27 mill pounds i agree it was high but when u look that Carroll was 35 and Torres was 50 mill ,we got a good deal. Around 60 goals in three season where he play maybe half of games and just that goal against QPR was worth it , at list i think so.And now if we take 16 mill well that is not bad ,only where we can find player like him happy with be on bench often.There is one more rumors that we going to try swoop Dzeko for Pjanic , Roma need desperately real striker and that is small chance but because Roma will play CL i would say 10 %.

Well if I'm not wrong, Ed would be entering the last year of his contract, so he would be free to talk to other clubs at Christmas, & negotiate his own deal.

Therefore both Dzeko & City would have to make a decision, this summer, on what happens next. If we offered him a new deal, he would want decent money & we would likely have to commit to paying him for another 4 years or so including next season.

During that time, his transfer value would drop to almost zero due to his age (28 now). Sell him now & it's a decent fee.

I would imagine that the only possible way he could stay at City, would be at a reduced wage, & he would most likely not accept that.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ayrshireblue » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:22 am

Folk are talking about Dzeko being signed to challenge with Aguero as first choice striker. Was Dzeko not signed in the January window before Aguero signed? He was signed to be the top striker and use others like at the time Tevez to play off and around him.
ayrshireblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby sheikh it all about » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:27 am

Ted Hughes wrote: Well if I'm not wrong, Ed would be entering the last year of his contract, so he would be free to talk to other clubs at Christmas, & negotiate his own deal. Therefore both Dzeko & City would have to make a decision, this summer, on what happens next. If we offered him a new deal, he would want decent money & we would likely have to commit to paying him for another 4 years or so including next season. During that time, his transfer value would drop to almost zero due to his age (28 now). Sell him now & it's a decent fee. I would imagine that the only possible way he could stay at City, would be at a reduced wage, & he would most likely not accept that.

Or we could re-sign him and sell for a decent price at a time that suits. It's not really a 4 or 5-year commitment in practice.

Kun is missing lots of games while Jovetic remains the mystery man. The Beast has suffered a slump in form. Until the wider situation becomes clearer, or until we have an ideal replacement in our sights, we could certainly use Edin.
sheikh it all about
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: The Champions
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 am

ayrshireblue wrote:Folk are talking about Dzeko being signed to challenge with Aguero as first choice striker. Was Dzeko not signed in the January window before Aguero signed? He was signed to be the top striker and use others like at the time Tevez to play off and around him.

When I've said that, I'm just meaning that he wasn't signed as a stand-in. He was signed as one of the top strikers playing in Europe, & to be a regular first choice starter, same as Aguero, not signed to be a stop gap or bit part player.

Imo, the choice of Aguero, Balotelli & Dzeko, makes absolutely no sense when you see how they all play, but I don't blame the players for that, I blame 'he who shall not be named' for not having a scooby about how to play strikers.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Cit.revenge wrote:Apparently Edin from WC is not coming back to City . Like big rumor is that Borussia D. have a deal with City 16 mill. here in Bosnia and well this guy who wrote article is always guess all things about Edin .Us for price 27 mill pounds i agree it was high but when u look that Carroll was 35 and Torres was 50 mill ,we got a good deal. Around 60 goals in three season where he play maybe half of games and just that goal against QPR was worth it , at list i think so.And now if we take 16 mill well that is not bad ,only where we can find player like him happy with be on bench often.There is one more rumors that we going to try swoop Dzeko for Pjanic , Roma need desperately real striker and that is small chance but because Roma will play CL i would say 10 %.

Well if I'm not wrong, Ed would be entering the last year of his contract, so he would be free to talk to other clubs at Christmas, & negotiate his own deal.

Therefore both Dzeko & City would have to make a decision, this summer, on what happens next. If we offered him a new deal, he would want decent money & we would likely have to commit to paying him for another 4 years or so including next season.

During that time, his transfer value would drop to almost zero due to his age (28 now). Sell him now & it's a decent fee.

I would imagine that the only possible way he could stay at City, would be at a reduced wage, & he would most likely not accept that.

Couldn't the same be said of Negredo? He's also 28 and his value will decrease to almost zero in the same period and there really isn't a lot of difference between the two.
I personally don't think we should get rid of either. If we can get Jovetic fit then we have one world class striker (Aguero), one potentially world class (Jovetic) and Dzeko and Negredo who whilst not world class, will get you plenty of goals.
If we can then start to push through one or two younger lads such as Cole then we'll be fine in the striking department.
If anything, it's Jovetic we may need to replace as he can't stay on the pitch for more than five minutes.
Bridge'srightfoot

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum