Tactical Disaster

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Tactical Disaster

Postby Twobob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:40 pm

As has already been mentioned, the foundations of a solid defence and midfield have not been there all season, we've been prolific up front and that has been our defence in a way, but now that isn't there anymore our dodgy foundations are showing themselves as the work of Wimpy homes.

We've constantly seen our midfielders outnumbered by the opposition, now that we're a bit weaker up front and teams have sussed us out (in addition to the fatigue ) our soft underbelly has been exposed.

Garcia is good cover, and no matter how much he has improved he hasn't the pace or agility, Yaya is best at going forward and although he is solid at putting challenges in if it isn't in his stride he won't get there. Ferdi has often been left to cover the whole midfield often 1 vs 3.

So you often see our back 4 in the box, the oppo's midfield, forwards and in some cases their full backs pressing on the back four while our 'midfield' flaps around chasing shadows.

Mostly, when the play is in front of us our back 4 have been fantastic unless we're caught on the counter and we look all over the place, its crosses behind us that make me worry.

At this stage of the season I'd love to see us just win 1-0 and look relatively unthreatened at the back just for once!
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Palace have a player Jedinac if spelt wrong sorry, watch him cover every blade on Sunday he is the heartbeat for them, leads by example. On paper they are 100 mph, fine ride the 1st 20 mins and allow your ability to create a chance or two.
Tough game lots of energy, I hope I am wrong but if we get it wrong it will be a tough end to our season as the dippers may have piled on the pressure against a Chelsea team who might have thrown the towel in. Depends upon tonight. This City team has to deal with hard working teams like Palace if we want to be a dominant force. That is where the dippers have won it, and years into the project we seem to be the same at the so called lesser lights.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby clippo22 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Relieved to read that Everton will be without Kevin Mirralles for the ret if the season, their midfield will look weaker without him or Barry in it.

Regarding out tactics, recently with Garcia in midfield a lot if the time he is so deep he in between kompany and MD. Meaning it literally is just Ferna in midfield when the wingers have pushed right up. Our biggest problem recently has been our lack or urgency or tempo. Gary Neville talked about it last night regarding the scum and I think recently a lot of it applies to us. Haven't created enough, build up play is far too slow and we have lots of possession without doing much with it. We need urgency and tempo, not urgency in the last 5 which then turns to panic and poor decision making.

Nasri slows the play down too much, agree that jovetic needs more game time. He was constantly looking for the ball yesterday and he was putting in too much effort when those around him weren't really interested in making runs and creating more opportunities.
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:34 pm

clippo22 wrote:Relieved to read that Everton will be without Kevin Mirralles for the ret if the season, their midfield will look weaker without him or Barry in it.

Regarding out tactics, recently with Garcia in midfield a lot if the time he is so deep he in between kompany and MD. Meaning it literally is just Ferna in midfield when the wingers have pushed right up. Our biggest problem recently has been our lack or urgency or tempo. Gary Neville talked about it last night regarding the scum and I think recently a lot of it applies to us. Haven't created enough, build up play is far too slow and we have lots of possession without doing much with it. We need urgency and tempo, not urgency in the last 5 which then turns to panic and poor decision making.

Nasri slows the play down too much, agree that jovetic needs more game time. He was constantly looking for the ball yesterday and he was putting in too much effort when those around him weren't really interested in making runs and creating more opportunities.

I am hoping Yaya will be back for the toffees game
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby zuricity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 pm

clippo22 wrote:Relieved to read that Everton will be without Kevin Mirralles for the ret if the season, their midfield will look weaker without him or Barry in it.

I don't know , people keep forgetting that teams,(Sunderland,scouse,wba) keep packing their box with 10 defenders when we play them. Scouse were doing this with Norwich yesterday and still nearly came unstuck.

I mean , look at Sterlings second goal for scouse on sunday . Gifted the ball in scouses half and was allowed to run all the way to the Norwich box.

I think the urgency is there, it's just damn difficult to break through so many players defending compactly in 'their' box.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Clowncrete » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:06 pm

Pellers feels more and more like Wenger. Constantly using the same system and wearing out the squad.

Imo, we should focus on only 1 trophy next season, ideally the PL and hope for good draws in the rest.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby bayblue » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Are we now saying that Pellers isn't the tactical genius we thought he was?

I think he's always been clear that he will do it his way and that involves a certain way of playing. Within that constraint he modifies things, as we saw v Liverpool and Bayern but he doesn't seem one, like Rogers or Mourinho who will significantly alter his basic set up depending on the opposition. Does that make him not a tactical genius? I dunno. I do admire though his basic philosophy that we will have a way of playing that is our way, and by doing that we will win through.

What's for sure is that if this doesn't lead us to winning the Prem or CL next year he is unlikely to be given another chance.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Bridge'srightfoot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:21 pm

The biggest disaster was that free kick last night. What was it? From that distance, we should have a queue of players eager to put their foot through the ball. Maybe it was too far out for Silva to have a go but I reckon Aguero has both the power and technique required. Or let Fernandinho have a blast, he can hit a bill. If not then cross it in.
The whole idea about these 'routines' is that they are meant to produce an element of surprise but when you do them too often they lose their effectiveness.
Instead it confused us more than them and left us exposed.
Trying to be too clever at times.
Bridge'srightfoot

Supporter of: City

Postby Twobob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Bridge'srightfoot wrote:The biggest disaster was that free kick last night. What was it? From that distance, we should have a queue of players eager to put their foot through the ball. Maybe it was too far out for Silva to have a go but I reckon Aguero has both the power and technique required. Or let Fernandinho have a blast, he can hit a bill. If not then cross it in. The whole idea about these 'routines' is that they are meant to produce an element of surprise but when you do them too often they lose their effectiveness. Instead it confused us more than them and left us exposed. Trying to be too clever at times.

I believe that to play the way Pellers has in mind, we need pace throughout the team which we do not have. Only Ferdi in midfield has pace enough to cover the ground, going forward Navas has the pace but struggles sometimes (more so recently) with how little time you get on the ball in the PL.
Twobob
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Gods Own Club

Postby bayblue » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 pm

And there's the difference in tacticians. Could you ever imagine Pellers sending a team out set up like Chelsea tonight?
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 pm

bayblue wrote:And there's the difference in tacticians. Could you ever imagine Pellers sending a team out set up like Chelsea tonight?

How did Chelsea go on tonight?

Im sure a Pellers team wouldve entertained the crowds tonight away at Athletico. Theyd also likely have lost 3-1 as well.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 am

Goaters 103 wrote:
bayblue wrote:And there's the difference in tacticians. Could you ever imagine Pellers sending a team out set up like Chelsea tonight?

How did Chelsea go on tonight?

Im sure a Pellers team wouldve entertained the crowds tonight away at Athletico. Theyd also likely have lost 3-1 as well.

Chelsea are still in the tie as Favs, Job done, might be a twist. Fair play to them, and for me puts our season firmly where it is, No forwards all season no goals to compare with ours yet we are behind them. Chelsea I hate Jose, but the fucker gets the max out of his squad.....
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11 am

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Ratboy & Scouse on Sky, showed replays of Chelsea defending with a line attached to the back 4, & a line attached to the 3 in front of them, then two wide players picking up scraps.

How they were often moving as units, & there were rarely any significant gaps between them, so the oppo can't thread the kind of pass between cb & fb like I described in my o.p. Also you don't get goals like Sterling scored v City if you have 3 blocking the pass off in the first place like that.

This is not football genius; Peter Reid was doing shit like that in the 90s; it's bog standard, football management. And that's the sad thing about it. Not just now, but in the previous years. Give some average manager like Peter Reid our players, & he will go to Lazio, Ajax, Liverpool, maybe even Barcelona, & come back with a result. We have a supposed football genius in charge each season & they create a complete fucking shambles by being too clever & trying to show off their genius rather than just getting the fucking job done on the day.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:39 am

Ted Hughes wrote:That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Ratboy & Scouse on Sky, showed replays of Chelsea defending with a line attached to the back 4, & a line attached to the 3 in front of them, then two wide players picking up scraps.

How they were often moving as units, & there were rarely any significant gaps between them, so the oppo can't thread the kind of pass between cb & fb like I described in my o.p. Also you don't get goals like Sterling scored v City if you have 3 blocking the pass off in the first place like that.

This is not football genius; Peter Reid was doing shit like that in the 90s; it's bog standard, football management. And that's the sad thing about it. Not just now, but in the previous years. Give some average manager like Peter Reid our players, & he will go to Lazio, Ajax, Liverpool, maybe even Barcelona, & come back with a result. We have a supposed football genius in charge each season & they create a complete fucking shambles by being too clever & trying to show off their genius rather than just getting the fucking job done on the day.

We have tossed of the season, and again last night you can see how he manages to keep a bang average team in with a shout, add Drogba of five yrs ago he would have pissed the league, and smashed the scousers this sunday we on the other hand are looking like a bunch of fancy dans, Sunday is massive for me, rollover and for me nothing will ever change unless some fucker gets ruthless and changes the attitude. The goal the other other night sums it up we think we are clever cunts! that should have been the trigger for a rant from anyone, nothing. again not what will bring the thing in lime with what it takes to churn out wins without fuck ups. Water bottles the lot should have been booted in the air and for Vinny summoned to the touch line, even if it was for nothing more than show.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:44 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Ratboy & Scouse on Sky, showed replays of Chelsea defending with a line attached to the back 4, & a line attached to the 3 in front of them, then two wide players picking up scraps.

We have tossed of the season, and again last night you can see how he manages to keep a bang average team in with a shout, add Drogba of five yrs ago he would have pissed the league, and smashed the scousers this sunday we on the other hand are looking like a bunch of fancy dans, Sunday is massive for me, rollover and for me nothing will ever change unless some fucker gets ruthless and changes the attitude. The goal the other other night sums it up we think we are clever cunts! that should have been the trigger for a rant from anyone, nothing. again not what will bring the thing in lime with what it takes to churn out wins without fuck ups. Water bottles the lot should have been booted in the air and for Vinny summoned to the touch line, even if it was for nothing more than show.

Agree, but nothing 'special' at all in what Mourinho has done imo. He has underachieved just like Pellegrini. And if we had Drogba, (or Suarez) we would have pissed the league too.

Rogers is the only manager who deserves any special praise. The others have blown hot & cold.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:02 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Agree, but nothing 'special' at all in what Mourinho has done imo. He has underachieved just like Pellegrini. And if we had Drogba, (or Suarez) we would have pissed the league too.

Rogers is the only manager who deserves any special praise. The others have blown hot & cold.

If he wins the Champs League, it will say WINNERS not plays like a drain Ted.. If Arsenal win the cup and Q for the same who has had the better season, Dipppers, Chelsea, Us ?A committed team would have been in each others face over that goal, Red nose would have gone bererk, who is right Pellers for keeping cool or a manager leaping onto that as the straw that broke the back of nice. He might have done it in the dressing room NO CHANCE.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby blues2win » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:04 am

I don't think Mourinho has underachieved. He's not far off winning the League and may yet win the CL yet he hasn't had one striker contribute a decent number of goals. His football is often not pretty but as far as he's concerned winning isn't the main it's the only thing.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:35 am

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

If he wins the Champs League, it will say WINNERS not plays like a drain Ted.. If Arsenal win the cup and Q for the same who has had the better season, Dipppers, Chelsea, Us ?A committed team would have been in each others face over that goal, Red nose would have gone bererk, who is right Pellers for keeping cool or a manager leaping onto that as the straw that broke the back of nice. He might have done it in the dressing room NO CHANCE.

No problem with Pellegrini keeping cool personally. Not interested in the gobby bullshit side.

Imo, the only manager who has done a great job in the Prem this season is Rodgers. The others have all underachieved & I would say especially Mourinho, as he still has the backbone of his own team, who know exactly how he works & several of them are in his back 4. A huge adavantage over Pellegrini & Rodgers & he was very fortunate to meet an injury decimated, knackered City team in the league, won the game then fucked it all up. Poor.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:53 am

I don't doubt that Pellegrini has fucked up on rotation and wlll have learned his lesson next year. I assume a couple more youngsters will come out of the EDS to join Lopes and that they will get a decent chance in some domestic cup games. However, what is alarming is the lack of depth in our squad still after all the spending. We really suffer when two or three key players are out. Then of course we've had a few players who are permanent casualties; Rodwell Richards and until recently Jovetic plus lengthy absences from centre backs early in the season and forwards later on. We still need strengthening. Still.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 am

appears to me that we often try to score by osmosis
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games